Ista North America / heat/water bill fraud

1 FL, United States Review updated:

I lived at an aimco property for a total of 6 years. After two years I moved intoi a one bedroom after leaving my ex, here it was just my daughter and I. To begin with the heat unit was a fire hazard per the building inspector and was not in working order(ista had been out twice, said nothing was wrong) The so called meter had no history of inspection and to boot the record keeping inaccurate. How do I know this? Well, I lived at timber ridge where the Quad murders took place. Anyone can look at old papers and see at that time there were 7 ppl at least coming in and out of that particular apartment that lived there, ista did not keep track of how many ppl lived in each apartment so the dividing of costs was not accurate for pro-rating. Second of all, I recieved a copy of the master bill of which the tenents were charged for that month, my apartment building was not listed as far as the heat bill goes and secondly they calculated the common area cost into the charges and alsothe master bill had 2 months on it as opposed to the one month I was supposodly charged for. For a single woman and a child liviong in an apartment not even 600 square feet the charges should not have exceeded 200 dollars . well here is just some of the charges while I lived there( does not include electric costs from duke energy) first bill to start major problems 10/19/06-11/20/06-service fee-3.01heaT SERVICE FEE-1.75 MONITERED HEAT SERVICE100 CCF-117.03BASE ENERGY SERVICE-9.08 HOT WATER HEAT SERVICE-12.86 TRASH SERVICE-6.25 AND WATER SERVICE 8.63 TOTAL-158.62NOW HERES WHAT HAPPENED IN THE SPRING3/20/07-4/20/07 SERV FEE-3.01 HEAT SEV FEE-1.75 MONITERED HEAT SERV-72 CCF-84.25BASE ENERGY SERV-14.68TRASH SERV-6.25 AND WATER SERV 8.46 TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE YES, BUT IT GETS WORSE BEFORE I MOVED OUT THIS IS WHEN I REALLY WENT THROUGH THE ROOF 2/20/08-3/20/08 BASE ENERGY 71.78 GAS 2/20/08-3/20/08-135CCF-182.38 GAS ADMINISTRATION CHARGE-1.77TRASH-6.25 WATER-8.14 AND SERVICE FEE 3.01. i HAVE ALL BILLS FROM THE TWO YEARS OF LIVING THERE, i REQUESTED THEM FROM ISTA, ISTA NOTIFIED AIMCO AND A DAY LATER I WAS GIVEN NOTICE TO LEAVE THE PREMISES AT THE END OF MY LEASE. i WAS HARRASSED BY THE LANDLORD, ISTA WOULD NOT CLARIFY WHY THESE BILLS WERE SO HIGH NOR THE INCONSISTONCIES i HAVE FILED WITH THE BBB, CONSUMER COUNCIL HAVE NOTIFIED LAWYERS, THE EPA GOV STRICKLAND, THE CITY COUNCIL, WEIGHTS AND MEASURES THE I-TEAM AND JUST ABOUT EVERYONE ELSE YOU CAN THINK OF. UNFORTUNATLY THERE IS NO GOVERNMENT LEGISLATION OVER WHAT THEY CAN CHARGE EVEN THOUGH THERE IS NO PROOF OF CONSUMPTION. THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY WE COULD HAVE USED AS MUCH HEAT OR WATER AS STATED.I AM A WORKING MOTHER WHO IS ALSO IN COLLEGE, my apartment was constantly freezing and to boot my daughters room was deemed a fire hazard and the air unfit to breathe per building codes via building inspector.Ista will take no responsibility even though thier techs per thier website state to be knowledgable and they as well claim to be "World Leaders" in the industry. I say world leaders of scamming me out of my money and making my life a living hell in the privacy of my own home at the time. They made my life and my credit a living hell. I had to drop all payments on everything else to pay these inflated apparent fraudulant bills all the while being harrassed by the landlord who lived directly next door.These people should either be put out of business or regulated, what they are doing is wrong and someone should put a stop to it.

More Ista North America Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Kb
      3rd of Jun, 2009

I just filed a complaint with the attorney general's consumer fraud division because they are charging me the same way, I never used my heat but for two months they were charging me $87 and $78. At first I tried talking to Ista but all they could say was that my apartment complex only had one meter for the whole place, So they simply divided it up based on sg. ft. I told them that was BS and fraud. So my attorney and I have taken the necessary steps to resolve this issue. In the future I will simply avoid places that do business with Ista.

21st of Jun, 2009

I left the first post a fewyears ago, I still have all the bills and a report from the building inspectorwhich states the condition of the equipment at the time. . I also filed with the bbb and have access to several reports. I am still fed up due to the fact that ista is still at it. Look up chestnut hills- in 2009 complaints were filed. If you need any help law -wise I still have everything as I almost went after them myself, just became to stressful. Landlord lived directly nextdoor and maintnence men were always right outside my door, got scared. I am currently getting ready to file bankrupcy-honestly feel this company destroyred my life.

• Mi
      11th of Jul, 2009

BS! You lying cheap freeloaders used utilities and didn't feel like you should pay for them because you're special and above paying for what you used.

LOSERS!

12th of Jul, 2009

Thats exactly it, no seriously CAN YOU READ?

12th of Jul, 2009

THERE WAS A REPORT FROM THE BUILDING INSPECTOR, HVAC SYSTEM WAS IN MY LITTLE GIRLS ROOM. EQUIPMENT WAS IN HORRIBLE CONDITION SO MUCH SO IT WAS DEEMED A FIRE HAZARD. THE AIR WAS UNFIT TO BREATHE AND VIA MAINTNENCE -THE SO-CALLED METERS DID NOT WORK EVEN THOUGH ISTA TRIED TO CLAIM THEY DID. THIS IS FRAUDULANT. A WOMAN CAN SUE MCDONALDS OVER A HOT CUP OF COFFEE BUT THIS IS ACCEPTABLE? I THINK NOT. THERE WAS A PREVIOUS STORY ONLINE ABOUT THIS TYPE OF UN-CHECKED EQUIPMENT IT WOUND UP STARTING A FIRE AND BURNED THE BUILDING DOWN. AND YOU THINK I SHOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR HARRASSMENT, DANGER AND FREEZING COLD WINTERS?

29th of Jan, 2010

My Ista billing statement stated that I used 10, 000 gallons of water last month, and I live by myself, and have the same routine from day-to-day. The month before that the usage was 122 gallons. Each month my bill has increased by over $12. This seems like FRAUD to me. I called and spoke with an Ista Representative and she gave me an answer that didn't quite make sense. The numbers are inflated and Ista is a scheme.

• Jh
      2nd of Mar, 2010

ISTA's practices appear to be fraudulent. My family, composed of me, my wife and one year old son moved from our townhome to an apartment while construction of our new home was under completion. In our 2, 100 sq. foot town home, which had a lawn that we watered regularly, our monthly water bills never exceeded $9 a month. At our 900 square foot apartment our monthly water usage per ISTA doubled and our bills averaged around $90 per month. During our last billing cycle, we lived in the apartment for 3 of the 31 days in the cycle, and our bill was still $90. I called ISTA to inquire how they calculate the bills and received two different stories from the same customer care representative. I have filed a complaint with the local utilities commission about their questionable practices.

• Wh
      20th of Apr, 2010

ista does do some installation of meters but for the most part, when they start to bill a property's residents, the equipment is already installed. Many properties are billed using a method based on square footage. for instance, a 4 bedroom rental will get a significantly larger bill than a 1 bedroom unit. There are also properties that bill on a combo of square footage/occupancy.
    ista does not chose what way you will be billed. The state/local laws and property wishes determine the billing method.
    If you live in a property that bills based on sq ft/occ and you were there 3 days out of 31, you can always call your property management and they can give ista permission to lower your amount. They cannot do that on thier own. The job of ista is to collect utility costs to reimburse the management company for what they have already paid.
    About the 10, 000 gallons. ... if it was exactly 10, 000 gallons, then you probably used more and your property chose to cap your bill at that amount. You may want to check for a running commode. That is usually the culprit.

• Is
      8th of Jun, 2010

ISTA is raping customers, both residential and retail. Two people, one toilet and sink - $300 a month???

• Bo
      28th of Jun, 2010

There are a lot of complaints about ISTA because of their estimated billing. I use Fewtek and they have been great. They only charge me for exactly what I use each month, and they have no extra activation or late fees. Its a much easier process. I posted their website below.

fewtekfl.com

• Br
      29th of Jun, 2010

Does anyone have the number for ISTA?? I cant find it anywehere online.

• Ji
      3rd of Jul, 2010

I can understand where a lot of frustration may come when it comes to paying your bills. but like someone commented on this post.. ISTA does not choose what they bill you, and cannot bill you a huge amount without verifying with the property manager. Also, for the person that posted fewtekfl.com.. Not all communities can be charged for exactly what they use because not all properties have individual meters installed for each single unit. Also, ista is a submetering company which means.. even if each unit has its own meter... they still have to use a master bill for the entire property and depending on what they are contracted to bill, they bill the residents. Again, if it is a huge bill, take it up with your manager since they approved the billing to go out. Ista has lawyers and wouldnt risk ILLEGALLY billing a random community what they want because they will all be without a job.

GET A LIFE PEOPLE! PAY YOUR BILLS. If they seem to be wrong.. take it up with your management because the meters are all F''d UP.. or MOVE SOMEWHERE BETTER!

Thats all.

30th of Jul, 2010

ISTA would send us our bill in the mail and we would pay it within days of receiving it. We started to get late payment charges, so we tracked when we mailed the payment to ISTA relative to the due date. We always sent the payment more than 10 days before. We continued to receive late payment charges. We called ISTA they said you need to allow 1o business days for them to process the payment. I just got my bill today. It is due in 18 days if you subtract 3 days for the mail. You have one day to get the payment in the mail to them.

My solution was to pay them 6 months ahead so we always have a large credit balance. With the late payment charges being higher than any interest we could earn on the money this was the best way to handle needing to mail your payment to them immediately or get screwed.

I suppose this post messes up the guy who keeps posting about "JUST PAY YOUR BILL YOU LOOSERS!"

We have plenty of money and would like to keep it that way so we are not going to pay ISTA for late fees that are suspicious.

10 business days to process a payment?! COME ON

2nd of Dec, 2010

Recent ISTA waterbill: $4.50 worth of Ista water per month and I'm charged $42.00. They are ripping me off!

• Pr
      18th of Jan, 2011

There seems to be a problem with the way Ista is doing business considering everthing posted here. My issues with Ista: I lived in my condo complex for 5 months and only received one bill. I have called and asked for bills to be sent out and yet I receive no bill. I was forced to pay the bills over the phone with a service fee attached. With no paper bill to look at, I don't know what they are charging me for. My January bill is over twice the amount for my December bill. I wasn't even home during half the time the January bill covered. HOW DOES THAT WORK????
    I have called them three times trying to get one bill. I spent 20 minutes on hold before I could talk to a person each time. 20 minutes, no lie. I kept track because it was a really long time to be on hold.
    If you're on hold for 20 mintes everytime you call, that tells me a lot of people are calling in with problems.

• Tr
      12th of Feb, 2011

**** I WORKED AT ISTA NORTH AMERICA - - BEFORE, WHEN IT WAS CALLED VITERA ENERGY SERVICES AND THEN WE CHANGED OUR NAME TO ISTA NORTH AMERICA FROM 9/16/03 TO 6/1/05 SO I CAN TELL YOU STRAIGHT UP, MOST OF YOU PEOPLE HERE PROBABLY SPOKE TO ME...LOL. Ista North America has two locations... one in JACKSONVILLE FLORIDA, ON THE SOUTHSIDE, BAYMEADOWS, AND THE OTHER MAIN OFFICE IN ANOTHER COUNTRY... IN SHORT, I WORKED CUSTOMER SERVICE 1YR. 3 AND A HALF MONTHS AND THE BILLING DEPARTMENT, FOR ANOTHER 5 AND A HALF MONTHS BEFORE I QUIT. *****

I CAN SHOW YOU AND TELL YOU ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT HOW YOU ARE GETTING RIPPED OFF...LOL MOST OF THE MANAGERS THAT WORKED THERE FOR SIX OR SEVEN YEARS ALL QUIT, THAT COMPANY HAD THE HIGHEST TURNOVER RATE IN HISTORY. *** I KNOW ALL THE MANAGERS THERE TOO :)

YOUR BILLS ... RUBS = RATION UTILITY BILLING SYSTEM... WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
    THE APARTMENT, CONDO, TOWN HOME, OR MOBILE HOME HAS 1 METER FOR THE ENTIRE COMPLEX. THEY TAKE THE TOTAL WATER CONSUMPTION OF THE ENTIRE APARTMENT COMPLEX AND (MINUS THE C.A.D= COMMON AREA DEDUCTION = MEANING ANYTHING THE APARTMENT USES, LIKE TO WATER THE GRASS, CLEAN POOL, ETC.) AND DIVIDE THE BILLS BASED ON SQ. FOOTAGE, OCCUPANCY, OR SQ. FOOTAGE PLUS OCCPANCY.

SECOND BILLING IS CALLED TARIFF = FLAT RATE, MEANING YOUR CITY HAS ONE FLAT RATE AND YOU GET BILLED AT THAT RATE MULTIPLIED BY YOUR CONSUMPTION FOR YOUR WATER CONSUMPTION.

NEXT IS HOT WATER ALLOCATION= THE TRICK IS THERE IS A 3.57 MULTIPLIER IN THIS= MEANING PEOPLE USE .357% MORE HOT WATER THEN COLD SO YOU GET THAT RATE IN YOUR BILL

THEN THERE IS FULL ALLOCATION, PARTIAL ALLOCATION, AND HOT WATER FULL ALLOCATION... THESE ARE WAAAAY TOO LONG TO EXPLAIN BUT IF YOU E-MAIL ME I WILL TELL YOU HOW WE DID IT AND HOW YOU ARE GETTING RIPPED OFF. HA HA HA HA HA HA

**** HOW DID WE MAKE OUR MONEY OFF YOU IT'S SIMPLE ****

WE GO TO THE APARTMENT COMPLEX AND TELL THEM HEY ..."WE CAN MAKE YOU GUYS MONEY AND OUR SELVES SOME MONEY, BUT THE KEY IS FIRST WE HAVE TO GET OUT PAY."

DID YOU KNOW THE ADMINISTRATION BILL IN YOUR BILLS IS SOMETHING THE APARTMENT CHARGES TO GET MONEY ????

DON'T GET ME STARTED ON HOW CORRUPT THAT JOB WAS... I'LL EXPOSE IT ALL AND THEIR PHONE NUMBERS HA HA HA HA HA E-MAIL ME trixspeed@yahoo.com

• Hi
      19th of Jun, 2011

Can someone please explain what is the "base energy" in ISTA's bill. The amount of " base energy" in my bill varies a lot. I have no idea what it is? One month its $10, and another month it is $70, then again $15, and then goes to $80. I am really confused.

• Do
      13th of Sep, 2012

These statements are true... ISTA is a fraudulent company that will soon experience a class action law suit FYI: " The People of California vs. ISTA " .
    If the State of California faces such debt, then why are we putting our money into 3rd party utility services ? You would think this ### would be flagged and immediately investigated. California residents need to put their hard earned income back into their own State. Utility companies, law enforcement, cable networks and cell phone companies will bill within our State and send our money back into another State. This leaves our state further in debt. As for the guy who has nothing to say except for
    " Pay your bills losers " ! I only say to you... when you start paying your own bills and give your parents a break, you'll then have more to say. Until then I suggest you leave your comments somewhere else.

• Va
      21st of Oct, 2012

I am disgusted by ISTA. I live in an apartment in Irvine, CA.
    They charge $3.50 fee if you pay through internet!!!
    And if you try to pay by mail, the mail is always somehow delayed and I get a $5.00 late fee every other month, even though I always pay on time!
    The cities and states must at last protect their people.