Ira Wood & Sons / Unethical business practice

1 Owensboro, KY, United States Review updated:

I ordered a Fixed Top Table Slate Inlay Matte Black Finish e from Ira Wood & Sons, Inc. on 10/8/07 and table arrived to me on 10/18/07 which has some scratches & chip on the table top & chip paint on one leg but they refused to send me a replacement table due to their vendor freight company, OFDL has denied their claim for their reimbursement. Therefore, customer service rep, Naomi informed me that they will not ship me a replacement table to me and I will have to pay for the shipping cost for them to ship the replacement table to me. I was so sock and upset because I have paid $165 for the shipping cost of the original table which only costs $378 and they wanted me to pay for another table. I have ordered alot of things on line with other good companies like Martha Stewart Co, Lighting Universe Co., ect. and none that treated their customer crappy like Ira Wood & Sons, Inc. did to me. Now, I have to keep their defect table because I can't send it back to them for refund which the total shipping cost will be more than what I paid for the table so I decided to keep it until I can sell it locally. I want to file a complaint on this company so other on-line consumers will be aware of this unethical business practice by Ira Wood & Sons, Inc when they Google on Ira Wood & Sons web site. I feel that they had cheated me on my hard earned money and I hope no other consumers would have to go thru like me when dealing with this rip off business of Ira Wood & Sons, Inc. It seems they don't care how their customer feel because they got my money and they probably know that I won't return the defect table due to I have to incur expensive shipping cost to return their table.

Va

More Ira Wood & Sons Complaints & Reviews

Comments

1st of Dec, 2008

I was about to order a mixer from Ira Woods, but your warning was all I needed to find another vender. Thanks so much.

20th of Feb, 2009

Ira Wood & Sons, Inc. is committed to providing the best customer service possible. We constantly improve our packaging, hold regular reviews of our shipping companies, train our staff extensively in packaging & shipping and we even triple check each order before it leaves our building.

If this is a case where the merchandise was signed for in GOOD condition from the carrier, the options can become limited due to the nature of insurance on oversized shipments delivered by trucking companies.

Please feel free to contact us by phone, email, or case and we will be sure to resolve any issues in the most professional manner.

Ira Wood & Sons, Inc. goal is continued customer satisfaction as has been the case of over 90 years.

• Li
      31st of Mar, 2009

I am going through a bad experience with them right now as well. They sent me the wrong item, charged me for the original item, told me they would send me the original after they received the wrong item, then told me it was out of stock. I waited 3 days to have someone finally tel me htat they cannot return my money to my credit card and it would be another 10 days before I could call to see where my money is. I will see if my check gets here within the 10 days...doubt it. I asked to speak with someone in accounting, because my bank has said noone tried to refund anything (like they said), and I wanted to know what the problem was. They sure can take money out, and even if they send you some bogus item that is a fraction of the price you paid, they cannot put it back.

• Jz
      28th of Apr, 2010
    Ira Wood & Sons - deceipt, non shipment, scamming customers
    Ira Wood & Sons

Ira wood & sons will promise you anything to get you to order. Then they will send you an order confirmation stating that you, by ordering have accepted their rules, and policies as posted on their web site. In my case it was not a web site purchase over the phone, and i received a quotation that did not have that note at the bottom. The note was added on the order confirmation that they sent after debiting my account, and having my money in their pocket. interestingly their rules state that you can't cancel an order after it has been entered. And if you do it will be treated as a retuned product, and they will hit you with a 50% penalty. It would seem that the most profitable part of their business is not selling but applying penalties.
    They can quote low prices because they do not intend to deliver, only to collect penalties or ship when the price has dropped in the market if at all.
    Do not buy from them unless you are not afraid to have them scam you, and can wait for very long time for them to ship. They are deceiptful, liars, unethical, and their rules are designed to scam anyone unfortunate enough to order from them over the internet. If you read their rules you will not order from them under any circumstance.

• Da
      13th of May, 2010
    Ira Wood & Sons - Broken Merchandise
    Ira Wood & Sons
    Kentucky
    irawoods.com

My parents purchased a Saeco coffee machine from Ira Wood & Sons as an anniversary present for my husband and I on April 11, 2010. The cost for the unit is $1, 000 plus S&H. It was delivered quickly but had a large scratch on the front.
    I tried to contact the company but their phone system was defective. Every time you entered an option, it returned to the main menu. I then tried to send costumer service emails (don't ever waste your time doing that!) and even contacted the live chat twice and both times was assured that someone would get back to me. Finally, after 6 days, I tried calling again and reached Matt, a customer service rep. He told me that I needed to send in some pictures of the damage.
    I emailed photos right away and had to wait 3 business days until my request was "reviewed". I was then finally allowed to send them back the unit for an exchange. On May 7th, I received the new machine. It was in worse condition. It was stained, broken, cracked, and scratched in many places. I immediately contacted Matt, both by phone and email, and attached photos since I knew they would be required. At this point, I was asking for a full refund to my parents. I didn't hear back from Matt until May 10th. He sent me an email (even though he has my phone number) telling me to contact Saeco directly. I knew that Saeco does not handle new product claims but did so anyway.
    Darlene at Saeco was very surprised to have me contact her. She re-affirmed that all claims for new products must go through the dealer (Ira Wood & Sons). She asked me to forward her both the pictures and the email from Matt.
    Less than 30 mins. later, I received another email from Matt stating that my claim would be "reviewed" and that he would let me know asap.
    It is now May 13, and no news from Matt...
    This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. They have absolutely no customer service skills. I would strongly recommend staying away from them. If you order a product and something goes wrong, don't expect any apologies or any help from them. In their minds, they did you a favor by selling it to you in the first place...
    Danielle Sweet

• +2 Votes

AVOID AT ALL COST! They commit fraud and false advertising. Long story short, ordered an item, selected free shipping. Over a year later got a collection agency notice stating I owed UPS $108 for inside delivery - never received any such invoice from UPS or Ira Wood so guess is it was going to Ira Wood until they tried to redirect agency to me thinking I'm an idiot and would just pay. Ira Wood claims I selected a free Curbside shipping option when ordering. I did not and have all order info they emailed me at the time plus screen shots of their website for the same item at the time I raised the concern showing no Oversize Freight notice (the little truck image) or 'Curbside' included in the free shipping description in the shipping options presented during checkout. It just showed free residential delivery. Funny thing is, they tried to correct so they could tell me I was wrong - the website now has the oversize freight image and during checkout the free shipping option does indeed include the word curbside. Too bad for them I have dated screen shots. They'll either cover the cost or deal with a lawsuit at this stage. They play dumb and very nice but they are a fraud and should not be in business. I am taking up with KY Attorney General and BBB. Let's see. AVOID AT ALL COST and spread the word!

• La
      14th of Jul, 2010

I just took delivery of a Nu Wave infra red oven from Ira Woods, that I ordered over the internet. I ordered from them because their of their price. I tried first, to order from Nu Wave themself, because they offered a large bundle of free stuff that looked really good. As I got into the order, after giving my credit card number, I discovered that the free stuff was going to be shipped, each item in it's own box and I was going to be charged an outrageous shipping charge for each item. They evidently have an alternate website called Homeware.com that handles their internet shipping. The price of the oven was $139 including the extender ring that allows you to cook a large turkey. The shipping charges on the suposedly free stuff was going to run the bill to way up over $200. A couple of the items has charges of around $25 each. I immediately backed out of the sale, and started looking for another supplier. I found Ira Woods. They had the oven & extender ring for $139. NO TAX, NO SHIPPING. I didn't get all the free stuff, but that was ok, since the oven was what I was after in the first place. It was a little slow getting here but I had to deal with a week end, then deal with July 4th holiday, so I shouldn't complain about a 7 day delivery. The oven was great. I could hire out as a gourmet chef now, LOL. Every thing so far is really good. I am writing this in the hopes that the Ira Woods people might read it. After reading so many bad reviews of Ira Woods, I am Skeeerd to order anything else until I see the reviews get a heck of a lot better. No excuses, no "It wasn't our fault" stuff, no "There was a problem with the insurance" just better reviews, saying how you worked with the customer to try to make them happy. I am retired now but was in business before I retired, a wildly successful business, that got that way by giving in to customers, even if it was plain that they were wrong. It is always worth not making any profit on a given item (of course a limit has to be set, but it needs to be a generous limit) to keep a customer happy, AND COMING BACK. It was taught to me way back, that a dissatisfied customer told around 10 people about the way they were mistreated. Now-a-days with this internet, and websites just like this one, the complaint goes out to millions. ARE YOU LISTENING IRA?? You will profit in the long run by working with people and having them leave smiling, instead of bowing up your neck just to show them who is boss, or being afraid to trim your profits on a given item.

• Ti
      5th of Oct, 2010

I am going through the same issues, they sent me a broken item want to charge me to send back. I sent back the faucet and the strainers, now they are saying I sent back only part of the straners? The boxes were never opened, the sink was broke, I sent them back what I recieved. Ira woods needs to review their own shipping department, beucase if they are shipping out products that are defective or missing parts, the customer should not be held accountable, I am out over 400 dolars over a sink.

15th of Jan, 2011

This company does not stand b y their products. I ordered a $800 item only to find it was defective upon receipt. The customer service rep made excuses for 3 months, then stopped communicating all together. I have gone through exhaustive lengths to try to get this problem resolved. The initial issue was not their fault, but as a dealer they were of zero help and their customer service practices where one of the worst I have ever dealt with. It has been 5 months and I have no communication with the dealer, the manufacture does not want to deal with a final user, and I have now acquired an $800 door stop. I am beyond upset, whatever happened to good businesses.

• Bl
      26th of Jan, 2011

This company should be sued and shut down. I ordered a sump pump from this comany 20 December 2010. It was listed to ship on or after 4 January 2011. After not receiving any updates, as a normal customer would expect from a reputable business, I called to find out the status on 10 January 2011. I was informed that the product was expected to ship around 12 January 2011. More time went by and I called again on 18 January 2011. I was informed that the product I ordered would not ship until 28 January 2011. I could not afford to wait any longer since this was holding up a bathroom renovation, so I cancelled the order. I finally received a refund over a week later, but they withheld 15% of my money as part of their policy. They mislead me, did not deliver a product, and had poor overall customer service. They stole 15%. Do not do business with this fraudulent company.

23rd of Feb, 2011

All Saeco products include a card which states that Saeco handles all warranty issues. Since this was presented to Ira Wood 30 days after the item arrived this is typically how we are instructed by Saeco to process the claim. Call times during peak hours can vary, but we do maintain a friendly staff, and a wide range of operation hours.

• Ke
      4th of Mar, 2011

Worst company in the world award goes to Ira Wood! Never purchase anything from this unethical scammer!!

• Bi
      3rd of May, 2011

Ira Wood & Sons is the most non-responsive customer service I have ever found on the web. I log between 40-120 online orders per year and have never had customer service issues (except with Time Warner) this severe. Only one CSR can handle your issues. If they aren't working or are on vacation, then you are placed on hold... infinitely until you hang up. Today I tried to reach CS and was but on hold for (no exaggeration) 15 minutes. Called back again and my call was curiously routed right to voicemail. I asked for supervisors, got put on hold for 15 minutes and when the "supervisors" voice mail picked up, there was no name given or extension number. It's not worth the hassle, no matter what the price. I picked out something that said "available in 7-10 days" and it has been 45 days and my merchandise is still in information limbo.

• Ro
      22nd of Jun, 2011

I have the exact same experience with all of the viewers above. Purchase at your own RISK. Hope more customer read their complaints and reviews before placing an order to avoid going through the same trouble.