Innovative Merchant Solutions / poor service

1 Woodland Hills, CA, United States Review updated:

I have read the reviews and I have to agree with them. Quickbooks Merchant Service- run by Innovative Merchant Solutions in my opinion, is a complete joke.

I have been a small business owner for over 13 years and have tried several different services. The lure for me was the convenience of having payments processed from within Quickbooks at the click of a mouse. BEWARE, it comes at a very steep price. Not only are the rates high, the funding time is super-slow and if you need help, forget it. No one there really cares how your business is affected by their mistakes or their "procedures".

If you have any intention of "growing your business", be careful of the limit you can process monthly, which they don't tell you up front. Knowing this before hand, I had asked and was told "There really is no limit as to what you can process". Now it's a whole different story.
We basically were processing more each month and that became a problem. Our account went into review in their "Risk management". I didn't have a problem with that...I've been there before.

What I did have a problem with is the lack of interest in resolving my account issue. Mind you, they basically "hold" your account and you may not receive any deposits from your credit card batches until they say so. For a small business in this economy, this is potentially a slow and agonizing death. Well, 8 days later, 15 unreturned phone calls and countless aspirin, still no one at IMS wants to get this resolved. On day 9, I got a hold of the supervisor, explained how things were handled and basically got a "I'll call you back". Did he call back you ask? No, but one of the repsdid to explain they were going to hold onto my last batch of $9800.00 as a "security deposit" indefinitely. I was shocked...there was absolutely no reason they could give me but to say "read the contract". I asked what would happen if I cancel my account and they said they would not release that batch for 9 months according to their "policies". Needless to say, that hurts a small business like mine and I'm not sure how to make up for that kind of money.

When it comes down to it, this was the absolute most expensive and most frustrating experience I've had with a merchant processor since the day I first opened my doors. I hope this helps future business owners to make a informed choice as to who they decide to use for their merchant service. As for me, I'm movin' on.

Mi

Comments

• Le
      27th of Mar, 2009

IMS takes care to describe merchant obligations in clear and unambiguous terms in its application and merchant agreement. It encourages and expects that merchants entering into such an important relationship take appropriate time to understand their obligations under the relationship. The issues of holding funds, approved monthly volume and chargebacks are also clearly covered in the Merchant Agreement. Visa, MasterCard and Discover Network outline the policies and procedures for the dispute and chargeback of sales for their customers. These dispute regulations are by no means arbitrary and are not a product of anything IMS can or has ever done. They are created by the bankcard industry for the benefit of the cardholders and the card issuers.

IMS accepts the liability for these sales on behalf of the merchant and will accept the loss from the card issuing bank in the event that the merchant does not have sufficient funds to cover the loss. The associations also dictate the types of investigations that IMS must complete and they are driven by unusual or exceptional activity such as a very large sale. Therefore if you usually accept credit card sale for $100 and you process a sale for $2000, the industry requires that this sale be investigated. IMS is just one member of the entire system that all bankcard issuers and acquirers (processors) are a part of. Some banks may knowingly choose to disregard the liability that they share in this process, but this is usually on the basis of other banking relationships, such as large deposits, that they hold with that customer. Because we allow our merchants to hold their bank account wherever they like, we cannot benefit from such a relationship.

• Ge
      13th of Apr, 2009

innovative is a bunch of scammers.

• Bu
      4th of Aug, 2009

I have a small business. Got the nice ad in my Quickbooks software for merchant solutions through Innovative. OH MY G**** What a mistake!!! Been a nightmare since May. I just faxed my request to close the account. I expect it will take them 3 weeks to get that done. AVOID AVOID AVOID. PLEASE EVERYONE AVOID!!! Save yourself the headache and pay the extra fees. Use someone else. I've spent 8-10 hours of my time trying to resolve issues over one charge. It sounded too good to be true and it was. I was foolish and foolhardy. I should have listened to my banker. They talk the talk but do not walk the walk at Innovative. Don't believe anything they say until their actions back their words.

• Oh
      26th of Sep, 2009

These guys don't give a crap about your business! Their rates are bad. Their service is awful. It takes for ever for the money to reach your account. Ever any problem and they hold all your transactions until the one problem is resolved. I get sent to risk management every time I run a transaction larger than a few hundred bucks ( of course, with ALL my funds held until it's resolved. Working with them has been a complete nightmare, as their customer service is aimed at dodging your issue rather than addressing it. I'm switching on monday. I suggest you save yuorself the headache and use your local bank.

• Ke
      12th of Dec, 2010

We tried to do business with Intuit Merchant Service because we pay a few thousand each year for quickbooks, but our account would go into "review" by the risk department every-time we would try to use it.

After 3 months of unreturned phone calls, we were told the account is closed due to " numerous suspicious transactions."
    This seemed odd as we have not even used it yet, so we called to speak with the risk department and spoke to a manager to ask which transactions were "suspicious" and he stated that there are no transactions on the account. I asked "How can this account have suspicious transactions, when there have never been any transactions?" He was quiet, then hung up.
    I called back and was told that he was "not in the office, nor any other manager."

We decided that Intuit is a bunch of monkeys with telephones/computers and left them alone.

A few days later, they started doing hard credit pulls from the owner of the company. They pulled his credit 13 times in 10 days. We began calling them again to find out why they are causing trouble and we were able to speak to John (a manager) and he stated "Intuit can do whatever it pleases and if they pulled your credit report 100 times, you cant do anything about it, so stop calling to waste my time" (Exact words from recorded conversation)

We have since hired 3 separate law firms to bring multiple lawsuits against intuit.

Thanks John, Martin, and the other reps of Intuit.

• Th
      10th of Jul, 2011

You're right about this being a joke. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to build a rapport with a customer service representative, but when asking for the same person by name is pointless. "Oh, I'm sorry. That person is in a meeting... yes all day... and is going on vacation for a month starting tomorrow." I'm exaggerating of course, but I always got the run around. Then the new representative wasn't familiar enough with my on going problem(and they were all on going) so I couldn't get sufficient help. After checking more customer reviews, I've realized that there are barely any positive things for anyone to say about Innovative Merchant Solutions. Don't use them. Plain and simple.