Imperial Majesty Cruise Line Vacations / Fraud and cheating

I was told I won a vacation in May 29, 2008 to the Bahamas Cruise for two people and it would be on the Imperial Majesty Cruise Line. The person told me I'd have to pay $59 per person for the port taxes and I could upgrade to an outside cabin for $99. I thought It would be nice since I've never been on a cruise so I paid $217 for the port taxes and the outside cabin. The person on the phone told me I would receive my cruise package in 2 - 3 weeks.

After 3 weeks I did not receive the package, so I called the customer service number given to me at the time of the purchase. A person said the package would be re-sent to me. I received the package on June 30, 2008. I opened the package and in the letter it says 'Any balance of funds paid is non-refundable and will be held as a non-refundable deposit towards any future travel request.' I was shocked and angered that this was not told to me on the phone and felt mislead.

On June 30, 2008 I called to complain that the cancellation policy was not told to me over the phone and I wanted a refund. The person on the phone said that it is past 30 days and I can not receive a refund. I asked how can I not receive a refund when I was not told the refund policy over the phone and I received the package after 30 days. The person said that he doesn't know what was told to me.

For almost a year this has been on my mind that I'm trapped in this and only thing I can do is to go on the cruise. So I called the reservation number to book the cruise in December 2008. While booking the cruise, I find out that there are set days I can go (Monday - Wednesday), but those days do not correspond with the dates I can take off from work. I again complain that this was not told to me initially and that again I felt mislead. I ask for a refund and again was told that it's past the 30 days and can not receive a refund.

Still feeling trapped in this, I called February 20, 2009 to book the cruise again. I was explaining that the dates do not correspond to the dates I can take off work. I was then offered to extend the cruise one day and it would leave on a Friday. Also, is included a 2 day free hotel stay at the Ramada Plaza Hotel not far from the cruise's departure for $198. Leaving on a Friday was OK for me and the free 2 day hotel stay sounded good so I paid the additional $198.

March 4, 2009 I was searching about the cruise on the web. I found a site at https://www.complaintsboard.com. I was shocked at the many complaints and people who have been ripped off such as I. I also read that in order to receive the 'Free' 2 day hotel stay I would have to attend a vacation tour offered by the Ramada Plaza Hotel. The tour is an hour and a half away from the hotel and will need to rent a car which was not told to me over the phone. OK that's it I had enough. I went to the Better Business Bureau web site and searched the company. Low and behold the BBB issued the Imperial Majesty a 'F' rating so I called on March 4, 2009 to cancel again.

On March 4, 2009 at 6:00 PM, I called the customer service number at [protected] and talked to Doug. He said the hotel is 20 minutes from the cruise, but the vacation tour was not close and I would need a car. I told him I was not told this on the phone. He asked me how was I getting to Ft. Lauderdale. Not understanding what that have to do with my complaint, I told him I'm going on an airline and did not expect to pay additional money for a rental car. I asked him how can I cancel and he transferred me to reservations department [protected].

I talked to Sharon in the reservations department. I explained my whole story from beginning to end and she told me that the hotel offers transportation to and from the vacation tour. I told her that someone else told me it's not when I called a few minutes ago. She asked me why I didn't purchase the package for $249 that included the rental car. I told her that that was never mentioned to me. She put me on hold. She returned and said that the hotel does offer transportation. I told her I keep getting conflicting stories and would really like to receive a refund. She told me her department can only issue a refund of $198 I purchased on February 20, 2009 and that another department will have to issue me the $217 and told me to fax the compliance department at [protected].

I called back a few minutes later to get the address of the compliance department and talked to Anthony who asked me what was the problem I'm having. I explained my problem all over again. He then told me a rental car is included with my 2 day stay. I told him I was just told that it was not. He put me on hold. He returned and said that a rental car is not included. He could refund me the $198, but will need to transfer me to customer service to talk about the $217 refund. He transferred me. He told me that it would take a while to be connected and gave me the number to call back.

After class, I called the customer number back at 8:35 PM and talked to Marleen. I explained everything to her and she said she will transfer me to a supervisor. Someone named Rich who said he was a supervisor asked me to explain my problems. I did again. He told me that I can not receive a refund because past the 30 days. I said 'what about the $198 I just paid in February?' He said it is not refundable. I told him that was not told to me earlier. He asked me who told me that and I told him Sharon and Anthony. He put me on hold. He then said he canceled my cruise and 2 day stay and would receive a refund of $198 in 7 - 10 business days. I asked him how can he issue me that but not for the $217? He told me that they don't work for Imperial Majesty. They only make the reservations. I asked him what company am I talking to now. He repeated they don't work for Imperial Majesty but only do the reservations.

On March 5, 2009 at 9:00 AM I called customer service [protected] to try to get the name of this company I'm talking to put in my letter. A female named Jay answered. Before I gave her my information, I asked her the name of her company I'm talking to now. She said Imperial Majesty. I told her someone told me that this is not Imperial Majesty and that her company only take reservations. She asked me who told me that and I told her Rich. She put me on hold. She transferred me to someone named Lakisha. She read over notes taken from previous times and I then explained the problem over again. I explained that the refund policy, the tour, and dates were not told to me initially and I received the package after the 30 days. She said that the calls are recorded, so I said then can't someone go back to listen to the recordings to see what was told to me. She said they take notes of the conversation. So I asked so I'm I receiving my $198 refund. She said 'I see you talked to Richard and he is a supervisor. He canceled your cruise and 2 day stay. I don't know if your getting your refund. Is that what he told you?' I asked why that is not in the notes? She read the notes to me. It stated he canceled the cruise and stay but nothing about receiving my refund. I asked why isn't what he told me about receiving the refund in 7 - 10 business days in the notes and that she didn't know if I would get the refund. She said 'If that's what he told you the you will get it.'

I feel that the Imperial Majesty Cruise Line sales tactics are misleading and fraudulent. The representatives say anything on the phone and only put in the notes what will help their cause. I compare Imperial Majesty Cruise Line to a corporate Madoff that swindles' people out of there hard earn money. In these times there needs to be better regulations over the travel/vacation companies on how they do business. People are loosing homes, retirements, and jobs and Imperial Majesty's practices are not helping. This has energized me to write my congressman and legislature about this issue.

To

Comments

• Vd
      23rd of Jun, 2009

Did you ever get that refund?
    I am in the same boat as you, but I paid around $500, and I cannot get it back!

• Ap
      29th of Jul, 2009

I'm glad I put this in the search bar and read this - I thank you and surely karma is a wonderful tool for those who choose to do wrong.

I just got the call and played along; research before acting!

• Je
      30th of Jul, 2009

Wow, thank you so much!! I attend Ashland University, will be a sophomore this semester. They just called me today. At first I was so excited and finally thought money that I had saved would be used towards this cruise. Me and and one of my girl-friends were going to be brave and catch a flight to Florida! Thank God we researched everything before we payed anything out. I really hope you get everything solved. Hopefully our justice system works like it's
    supposed to.

Jerika Gilcreast
    (Barberton, Ohio)

• Wo
      12th of Aug, 2009

Thank you for the information, we was just getting ready to book our cruise. We are out nothing.
    Again thank you.
    Kim- From Kentucky

• Rc
      20th of Aug, 2009

I;m in the same boat paid 298.00 free cruise, two night stay in Ft.Lauderdale, and two nights in Orlando, free rental car. But by the sounds of the complaints, and reading about the hotels and how dumpy they are my husband said absolutely not taking this trip. Anyone else receive a refund, and who do I complain to. I was also told all calls are recorded, I know I agreed to this package but not wanting to stay in smelly dumpy hotels, and have additional expenses such as paying to park your car at the pier, large amounts of deposits placed on my credit card, and hope that I get it back, not sure if I have any grounds for refund.

Renee-from Michigan

• Sh
      4th of Sep, 2009

Hey, thanks for the warning. My husband just got the call today and am I glad I read about your situation. I really hope you are able to get this resolved and get yur money back. I am defintely not going on this "free" cruise.
    Shweta

• Di
      10th of Sep, 2009

I don't know what to do. I am in the same situation. I paid money for a cruise I thought would be so much fun, I was even told it was a carnival cruise. I WAS NOT told about the hotel tour part. It's been almost TWO YEARS. I repeatidly asked "so if I pay now, I wont have to put out ANYMORE money" and over and over I was told yes. Then I called asking about the rental car or gas voucher and suddenly there was a fee on the cruise, a tax on this, a charge for that. I want my money back, I am so angry that a company can take advantage of people like this. It's disgusting, and it just shows how manipulative companies can be. I have been calling and calling and I get an answering machine. "please leave your name and number and someone will call you back". REALLY?

• Ca
      13th of Sep, 2009

Thank you so much for taking the time and energy to post your ordeal on the web. I am so sorry that that happened to you and I hope that you can receive your money back. But if it's any consolation, you have saved dozens...maybe more... people the same problem by bravely discussing your tribulations on this site.
    My husband and I were just looking into low cost cruises for the holidays and decided to do a bit of research about this Imperial Majesty (travesty) and lo and behold we came across your article.
    We are so grateful to you and hope that somehow you will be rewarded for your effort.

Catherine from Indiana

• Rb
      30th of Sep, 2009

I Just spent half of a day to try and find the phone number for the copr. office. I was able to get it. If you have any problems with this rip off company I suggest calling the upper management. They do not post this number anywhere. I had to speak with over 20 different people before I got someone to give it to me.

The phone number is: 954-630-9449.

Call this number to rattle them. They will not expect any of their victiems to be calling them on this number.

Also here is the address of the copr office just in case any feels like sending them anything.

2419 E Commercial Blvd Ste 100. Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308

Regards
    Randy

• Go
      16th of Oct, 2009

imperial line cruise is not fraud or anything like that the person who wrote this complaint is very unorganized and unbusinesslike, it's their job to tell you about the crusie not to read a manuel for you. its up to you to ask questions i asked and got all the imformation and my cousin went did the same thing and she had the time of her life and now i am about to. also the little packet that is sent to you tells you in fine print there are no refunds and there are certain days the ship leaves. it also tells you that you have to find your own way to florida and they handle the rest. dont let other people's complaints mess up your fun figure it out yourself and look into the positive feedback as well as the negative trust, there is more positive outcome than negative

• Qu
      27th of Oct, 2009

My name is Glynda and I have purchased one of the cruise line vacations also. I paid $1247 and was told by a Rodriguez who was a general manager that I owed an additional $898 to complete my vacation. Mr. Rodriguez was very rude to me when I had any questions and I request to speak with his supervisor. I was then transferred to Morene who stated she was the general manager...not sure how many general managers they have. She stated I should call 800-203-9783 and request to speak with Frederica. Numerous times I have tried to call to be placed on eternal hold.

I finally spoke to a gentleman who states that Frederica is out for the day. I asked if she had an extension so that when I called back it would be easier to reach her. He did not know her extension but stated he would transfer me to customer service where she worked. (I thought I was speaking to customer service). Again I was placed on “eternal hold” ….Another lady came on the line and I asked her about Frederica and this lady request my phone number to help me. I stated I was having some issues with my account and was told to speak with Frederica….to make the long story as short as possible….I was finally told that Frederica was on a cruise herself (the one I paid for I guess) and would not be in till later that day if at all…when I asked how would be the best way to reach her I was again given the “eternal hold” customer service line which I have called multiple times….

• Je
      11th of Nov, 2009

I have not gone on the cruise and don't plan to now. After learning of everyone else's experience I am not interested. I can say after dealing with them on phone I believe everything I have read and heard. They mislead me, lied, hung up on me, could hear them whispering in the background as to what to say to me. It was pretty bad. This was enough to convince me I was not going on this trip. I tried getting a rufund but they will not. I was never told it was non-refundable. I really don't know how they keep getting by with this. I will file complaints with everyone I can think of. For all the people this has happened to I know how bad you feel, to everyone else be careful...

• So
      1st of Dec, 2009

Thank you so much for posting this. I just received a call today from them. I hope you get your money back.

Kind regards,
    Sonia

• Om
      11th of Dec, 2009

I agree with you. It happened me also. I paid them Total $998 and I told them I am not interested but they said I have to pay because I have a deal with them although I know that nothing was told earlier. I told them to cancel it for me, they tell that I can resell it through them but I have to pay the total amount outstanding $698. I paid the amount on 10th Dec. 2009. They have told me that they will resell it within 72 hours and I'll get more than 3 times of the amount that I spent. I don't know what exactly they are doing. And it's extremely true that they have made my life a hell. I think Business Bureau should take step to save people from deception and mental torture.

• Ri
      20th of Dec, 2009

This string is very intersting...We are in the process of going on this cruise. My wife has been handling all the arrangements and so far not too bad. There has been several issues but nothing too great to handle. We knew in advanced that we would have to attend a 90+/- presentation for RCI time shares. About an hour drive north of the Ramada here in Ft Lauderdale, the facility was not too bad, located right on the beach...but after about 3 hours we did not buy. So far a few hidden costs...the Ramada is $15 per night per room tax/surcharge...not freee!!! The meals indicate they are included, but the fine print indicates you pay for the tax/gratitude...about $2.50 per person per meal. We board tomorrow on the ship. We'll see what hidden costs come up. Will post more upon our return. Cheers, RimShot

• Ri
      23rd of Dec, 2009

RimShot here… reporting after my return from the cruise.
    OK...here's the scoop. This cruise is a good cruise for the first timer. Our family has cruised over a dozen times on several carriers and I'd suggest you to avoid this cruise if you've cruised before. The ship has been converted/reconfigured into its current configuration and provides basic cruise accommodations. However, be aware...the berthing facilities (beds) are very small (less than twin size)..but pushed together, they may make the size of a large twin bed (beware if the metal sides in the middle). The crew was courteous and did an OK job on the taking care of your needs. The wait staff is fine but very slow. If we were to do this cruise again, we'd use the buffet dining option and the Italian cafe instead of the fine dining experience. The pictures were not impressive nor were there many options... the photo staff set up only two stations to take semi-formal pictures and the dinner pix were not good either. Needless to say we did not purchase any pictures of this cruise... our shots were better. The disembarking was absolutely ridiculous. According to the port staff...only two Homeland Security representatives were utilized to check out over 1000 guests... CRAZY... We made it to Orlando and the accommodations are fine.
    Overall experience...Good for the first cruiser...not for the experienced cruiser (you'll be disappointed)...

• Vi
      29th of Dec, 2009

This is totally accurate. I did a phone survey, received a follow up call and called the company back (just to see if it was a real offer). My experience was identical to the ones listed above. For good fun, try siting this website or [redacted] to the customer service rep from this "company" they REALLY like that. I got the woman so angry she started yelling at me.

• So
      3rd of Jan, 2010

My mother purchased this promotional deal.But have not been able to book the arrangements.

• 1r
      10th of Feb, 2010

I would like to know why a class action suit hasn't been filed against them?? It is clear they are breaking laws of all kinds here, ethical, not informing customer properly, an attorney could work it up. I read all these and sadly my in-laws have paid but not booked, so not sure if they have any recourse.
    Any thoughts?

• Ka
      13th of Feb, 2010

Wow!! I'm one more who now has to deal with the refund request ... I was actually planning to finalize my travel dates and pay a remaining balance but decided to check out the hotels in Ft. Lauderdale and Orlando, stumbled upon all these reviews. I'm being charged $449/ person $99 for my son, and now they have a "Stay and Play" program. You can stay in Bahamas for $125/night (covers 2 people) I found a few reviews were some people have actually received their full refund. Just tried calling to start the process and they are closed, will begin this battle on Monday. I will follow up... and yes I agree a class action suit is suitable in this situation, they have ripped off so many people.