Howard Lee Schiff P.C. / Fraud and scam!

510 Tolland St POB280245East Hartford, CT, United States Review updated:
4.8
Phone: 860-528-9991

I was shocked when I read about the 'Schiff' crew in Jonesys post. They did the same thing to me a couple of months ago. They sent me papers saying they were going to put a lien on my house for a credit card bill. I was very upset and frantic. I called the debt consolidation company Ive been working with and after days of trying to get a hold of them they made them an offer on my behalf but they wouldn't accept it. Said yes to a payment plan but Insisted on an already inflated amount - plus interest and costs bringing the bill to about $4000 more than it was. THEN>>>after I agreed to this - I received - in the mail about a week later - a JUDGMENT-signed by a judge - I wondered why - now I know. God - who are these horrible people and how can they get away with this??!! I don't have money for an attorney but maybe if I stop paying them and call them up and say I am going to sue them for pretending I was some deadbeat who didn't show up for court...
Va

Comments

Ma
  1st of Apr, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
i have howard lee schiff and i was on vacation and didn't have enough money in my account to cover the automatic withdraw so within 5 days i received a letter to go to court or pay up I sent them a check for the month and was cought up the day they received the check they went and withdrew 100.00 i sent a letter via fax not to cash the check and guess what they did the end of the month and also took another 100.00 out electronically. they are ruthless and i will be sending a letter to the board of bar overseers to make them answer to the way they treated me. if howard lee schiff treats you bad send a letter to the board of bar overseers after 3 complaints they will take his license.
Ri
  15th of Apr, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I'm dealing with them right now. Don't trust them. Deal with a LAWYER.
Cr
  2nd of May, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I have several students who are currently filing federal lawsuits against Howard Lee Schiff and various of their attorneys for violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. That is the way to put a stop to their garbage lawsuits. Most of them have to do with the filing of false and misleading affidavits which are usually not prepared by Cap1 as claimed but rather by another 3rd party debt collector known as TSYS. In those affidavits TSYS employees falsely claim to work for Capital One.
  5th of May, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
In December of 2004, Discover Financial Services negotiated with me an incredibly fair payment program to begin February 15, 2005. I had fallen behind from September through December of 2005. (I had paid off the entire $1, 000 credit card in December of 2002, but this didn't much matter to DFS.) When I called to make my payment in February, DFS informed me that my account was now in the hands of the Howard Lee Schiff collection agency. They never returned my phone calls. They sent increasingly threatening "shock and awe" letters demanding not only the full payment $1440 but an additional $1, 000 on top of that.

At the time I was incredibly destitute, and the emotional toll this took on me and my family was considerable. They pounced on us like a pack of hyenas: no mercy, no justice, nothing. Furthermore, I then received notice from the Vermont Superior Court in Woodstock, VT that I was being sued by DFS who hired Jessica Ellicott, Esq. of Rutland to file a small claim on their behalf. Ellicott contracts for Howard Lee Schiff. (As far as professional goes, Ms. Ellicott was fantastic; very helpful and always ethical in her dealings with me.)

I agreed to pay $150/month, giving notice to the Superior Court that the balance reported to the court amounted to nothing less than extortion. I paid the debt in full: $1440. Now, I will continue battling them in the Sullivan County Superior Court of Claremont, NH, where I currently reside.

I will seek judgment against them and ask the judge to litigate how Schiff came in possession of my account in the first place. That is, how is it legal for DFS to make payment arrangements and then, in the middle of settlement ("bait and switch"), sell the debt not only to recover monies owed but at profits for both DFS and Schiff alike?

I am more than happy to participate in any and all Federal class action lawsuits brought against Howard Lee Schiff, PC of East Hartford, CT. Not only are consumer laws being violated by their practices, they may also be in breach of interstate commerce and other federal trade laws.

-Prof. Robert Craig Baum
Claremont, NH
Ri
  16th of May, 2008
ABSOLUTLELY THE WORST, MOST IGNORANT, AND TREACHEROUS PEOPLE I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH.
DO NOT TRUST THEM UNDER "ANY" CIRCUMSTANCES. THEY, LIE, AND ARE INCREDIBLY
DIRTY
Ne
  21st of May, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
They just took out of my account $730.00 without sending me a note, leaving my family in the dark, without lights or food. This was my two weeks salary. They said that they don't have to let me know anything. That it is my responsibility to keep up with my balances. They were very rude on the phone. Now not only I owe the bank $35 fee for 8 transactions that I made without knowing of this withdraw plus the money on top of it all a negative of $287.00 + the transaction fees that I will be charge for. Be careful of this Agency. I will never put my money in a bank again. I lost trust.
Ne
  21st of May, 2008
They don't even send you a certify mail. What kind of law offices is this. Not very professional.
  23rd of May, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
They are not a law office. They are basically a collection agency that subcontracts to lawyers. Their name as a law firm has about as much relevancy as me saying I want to start a LLC and call it "Law Offices Robert Craig Baum." It is due time these ### get hit hard in every state they troll. Not only are they the lowest of the low--especially given the stories that have been gathered here--they contract their slime to lawyers in New England who gladly take their blood contracts. Disbarment, Attorney General action, and State and Federal trade commissions must be contacted.

It is also without saying that a class action law suit should be filed against the Howard Lee Schiff collection agency.
Je
  20th of Jun, 2008
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Hi a couple of years ago i recieved a summons from the court and when I went it was some of Schiffs people there, they got me to sign a payment plan using scare tactics with out going in front of a judge.Is there anything I can do about it now? can I make them prove it's my debt? or anything else? any help would be very appreciated
Ch
  14th of Jul, 2008
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I just got a notice of Judgement or Disposition from the court saying that thru default I must pay Howard Lee Schiff 35.00 per week. I never even got a summons to appear in court. What BS I haven't owned a credit card in 3 or 4 years. Has anyone had this happen too. I can't afford a lawyer or the 140 dollars they expect me to pay.
Ta
  23rd of Jul, 2008
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
Howard Schiff offices has been a thorn in my side for over 4 years. It started out in the hands of Pallisades collection for an old cell phone bill from AT & T. AT & T screwed up on my account and I was charged 500.00. I refused to pay for their error and I have been haunted by that ever since. I have received hundreds of phone calls to the point I had to change my phone number. I have been to court 4 times at the hands of Howard Shiff and had two warrants issued for my arrest. They represent themselves as lawyers when in fact they are only paralegals with major attitude problems. I have been threatened, and verbally assaulted by phone and all the emotional stress they have caused in my life. I ended up in the hospital because the stress became to much. I had NO idea about my rights as a consumer to fight these people. I am just now learning how much both Pallisades and Shiff have broken every collection law there is. From pulling my credit report, to putting two different judgements on my credit. I made the mistake of paying money out, which I really didnt have. My bills all fell behind. I couldnt afford anymore money and I was too afraid of making a phone call to tell them so. I don't need to be brow beaten over the phone. They treat you like a criminal. I have been embarrassed at work by having to take time off and having to show them the warrant for the arrest. I could possible lose my job over this. I have a court date tomorrow to fight these people. Why collection companies are not held responsible is beyond me. There are laws in place and no one is enforcing them.
Jo
  16th of Sep, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
These stories are all so familiar to me and my interaction with Howard Schiff in East Hartford. It put a lump in my throat as it reminded me of the 2 times that I had my bank account emptied by them in a matter of 2 months. And I could not pay the essential bills (electric, oil, my son's college tuition) and the fees from the checks that had been written that would now bounce (One of those checks was for Schiff!) When I talked to several different people at that office I got so many different stories. Unfortunately I believed the first few, but then realized no one told me the same thing. The last person was so rude and nasty that I hung up before he realized that he got the better of me and that I was crying out of total frustration for all the things that I had been told prior to speaking to him.
  6th of Oct, 2008
A quick update: Schiff has "suddenly" -- after countless years of efforts and threats of a counter-suit -- "recalculated" my debt and will soon need to show evidence that I should pay over and above the $1440 I first reported to this group back in the Spring. They are cowards that prey on struggling families. They hide behind their Fourteenth Amendment rights and attack hard working people, treating us all like figures in a cook-the-books scam. I, too, thought I could reason with these economic terrorists. No. There is no way these people will ever clean up the evil they ooze into our lives. They are a domestic threat, part of the reason why our country is in so much trouble -- reasonable negotiations producing reasonable solutions to complex problems versus strong arm insanity that tries to chock the life out of checking and savings accounts. Who works for these people? Who wakes up and says: my mom and dad helped me go to law school so I could help unethical and damnable corporate vice presidents collect debts that don't exist or attack families, like my own, that tried to act like professionals in the face of their rage and indiscretion. If Dante were still writing, the Howard Lee Schiff collection agency would own property in its own separate plane of hell.
Ja
  10th of Oct, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I had an experience with them in court today. I am nothing more then a quick internet study when it comes to fair debt collection.

Back in early August, I received a court summons from them regarding an account that they alleged was mine from Total Visa. I've never had a sub prime credit account in my life. Well, I sent them via certified mail that I am requesting a validation of this debt with citing of the establishment of Fields V. Wilbur USCA-02-C-0072 7th Circuit Court, Sept 2004. I also included a letter of graduated denial. The return receipt was signed by their office on 8/26/08.

Today in court, Attorney Gina no last name advised that she was here to work out a settlement regarding the credit card I had from total. When I questioned the lack of response regarding my validation request, she said it's on your summons. I opened it and said all that is here is a credit card number nothing more. I further sited that her office failed to comply with providing me validation as established in Fields V. Wilbur. She turned to me and asked. She said, "well we will obtain the information and request a continuance if you are disputing this debt". I then informed her that I filed a noterized Gratuated Letter of Denial with the court on 8/21/08 and also enclosed a noterized copy with my debt verification request and YES I was disputing this debt. Her reply was, I'll dismiss this then.

So, my suit has been closed. I am sure only for the time being. The amount is only $500.00 however I refuse to conceede to a debt that I do not owe. I highly doubt that they will fly a representative from Plains Commerce Bank in South Dakota for a meesly debt such as that. I am sure that I've not heard that last of them though. Only time will tell. I never did mention, but my casy was presented in Massachusetts.
Mi
  10th of Oct, 2008
Agree Disagree -2 Votes
Why don't you guys just pay your bills? You're all just mad that for some reason or another you lived beyond your means and now the law firm is holding you accountable for it. Not sure where the firm is (CT?) but it sounds like they're just doing their jobs...
Sp
  24th of Feb, 2018
@Mike I don't think so. owed 100.00 to a company that would of been paid.This collecion agency turned it into 2000.00 They couldn't pro
ve it.It was all false.It was thrown out of court and they were fined.They should not be allowed to be in business.
An
  13th of Nov, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
It's not about us not paying our debts. I just had a situation with this bottom feeding firm. I was sued by them for a debt that the statue of limitations had expired on. I never received any informaiton or notice since I had been remarried and had moved. I received a letter from my bank that a financial exeucution was ordered. Unfortuantely for Schiff's office, I have copies of credit reports for the past four years. Once I located the account I saw that my last payment was 8 years ago! This was obviously beyond the statute of limitations. I drafted a letter to them, the Attorney General and also Federal Trade Commission. I provided copies of my credit report. Long story short, they withdrew the judgement. Now they have to pay the $300 marshal fee that they expected me to pay for the bank execution. They have filed another claim in small claims for a debt on which the statute of limitations has also expired. I have filed a counterclaim since they have violated the FDCPA. Will keep you posted on this one. Why do they not have to verify any information???
Co
  19th of Dec, 2008
They have daily cases in every Small Claims Court in Connecticut.

They do not have to present any evidence for automatic judgments.

A clip-art from THEIR 'what appears to be a credit file' whether fake or not.

I have a judgment from them when THEY NEVER SHOWED UP IN COURT !!! (BRIDGEPORT)

So they judge gets paid I guess.

The judgment is against from Social Security Disability check. No Assets. Nothing besides the disability check.

Every court in Connecticit IS AUTOMATIC JUDGMENT.

Class Action ?? Somebody should stop this outfit that feeds of the DEAD.
Sa
  9th of Feb, 2009
I had Schiff put an execution on my paycheck for false reasons. I was paying my monthly amount on time and just for nothing out of the blue I went to take money out of my checking account and it was frozen. The court told me they didn't do anything wrong. I had to go to the court house in CT to meet a Schiff person there and ask them to reverse my money back to my account. I asked them why they did that and they said it was a mistake. They are animals, that cause me much grief physically and mentally. It was the time the first stimulus checks were sent out and I think they just did it out of pure unregard of any type of situation they would put me in. They lied to the court and the court allowed them to seize my money. I should have delt with the original creditors.
Fa
  25th of Feb, 2009
I am dealing with them now. This was the first time i looked them up. If you fight them, you'll find they have nothing. It takes papers to collect on this stuff and they don't have them. They also claim to be collecting directly for discover or whoever else and they are not, they bought the debt, without bothering to get the paperwork cause they collect so much of the time and anything they collect is pure profit. Show up in court, defend yourself, tell them you have no paperwork that shows you owe anyone anything and have no knowledge of what they are talking about. Keep asking them to prove it. Keep asking them for paperwork. Don't make any statements or sign anything, just keep asking questions. They count on YOU incriminating YOURSELF, they probably can not get a judgment against you under the law because they do not have enough proof that you actually owe the money, let alone owe THEM the money.
Lz
  12th of Mar, 2009
I had money taken out of my bank account without out my authorization. I told the bank that I did not authorize the charges. I was able to reverse those withdraws and get my money back. Don't let anyone take the money you are living on for an unauthorized withdraw!
Di
  16th of Apr, 2018
@lzrd Hi, I know this post was a while back. However, I'm going thru the same thing, but they were able to get a court order, without my knowledge, drained entire account. Did they get a court order with you as well. I believe it's called an execution

Law Offices Howard Lee Schiff Logo Law Offices Howard Lee Schiff