HotMovieSale.com / Scam company, doesn't have DVDs but charges

1 FL, United States Review updated:

Company purports to sell DVDs at discounted prices. Online prices look good. When you order, you receive email to say that the the DVD is unavailable. The DVD never arrives. However, if you try to cancel your order, your credit card is charged. When you call the company, they tell you that you agreed to a membership. If you argue with them, they tell you they can cancel your membership. However, they refuse to remove the amount they have already charged your credit card.
There is no mention of a "membership" anywhere on their Website. Some posts say that when you enter your credit card information when you are making the purchase, there is fine print about terms you agree to.
BEWARE! Don't be tempted by this company's low prices. They don't stock the merchandise. They just want your credit card information so that they can make bogus charges.

Comments

• Up
      8th of Aug, 2009

In our case they actually had and shipped the DVD..however, there was a link indicating that you could "purchase" without membership.
    That option was totally ignored and a membershiop fee was charged.
    So we were charged a membership fee of 19.95 and they said that we agreed to the membership...even though we clicked on the option to buy without membership.

AVIOD THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS!!!

• Jb
      4th of Oct, 2009

Wow, thanks, I thought there was something fishy about hotmoviesale.com. Wow this world sure is full of companies and individuals with "Grasping Hands"!
    Jody

• Up
      17th of Dec, 2009

This website is a TOTAL SCAM to collect recurring membership dues on your credit card.

This company shipped my DVD, but then charged a $19.95 "membership fee" which I have no recollection of ever agreeing to. Making matters worse, I didn't notice this recurring monthly membership fee on my credit card until $139.65 in fees had been applied and paid for.

When I realized the charge on my statement, I immediately phoned the company. Their customer service agent claims that I had not only agreed to this fee, but had been sent an email to confirm and advise. The email referred to was my confirmation of order some 7 months prior. The email was quite lengthy and only towards the bottom did it mention my enrollment in a "3 day trial period" which if not cancelled would result in a $19.95 per month membership charge.

They agreed to cancel my membership, but would only refund 1 charge of $19.95 to my card. It was obvious to the customer service agent that I had never used the "membership" since placing my order, but when asked if he thought it was fair he claimed that I had been sent a notification of the terms and should have cancelled the membership earlier.

• Ls
      31st of Dec, 2009

I wish I had read down a little further on the search page for HOTMOVIESALE.COM. I could have saved myself the $9.95 for a membership I had no idea about. I should have gone with my instincts I knew the price was to good to be true. One good thing I did get the DVD I had ordered. Happy New Year.

• Ki
      31st of Dec, 2009

if you "SORE LOSERS" feel u had been duped by HOTMOVIESALE.COM, then, SUE THE [censored]ING COMPANY!ACT ON YOUR STUPIDITY AND NOT WHINE ABOUT THIS!bear in mind that your babbling will do you no good!
    "LESSONS LEARN FROM THIS - [censored]ING READ BEFORE YOU PLACE YOUR ORDER! THERE IS NO HARM IN READING FURTHER, USE YOUR BRAINS FOR GOD'S SAKE!"
    "NOW I KNOW THAT YOU AMERICANS ARE SO STUPID!"

3rd of Jan, 2010

One question for you all: CAN YOU READ??? Their prices DID seem a little too good to be true when I began shopping there today, HOWEVER, it is CLEARLY POSTED on their site that -if you choose to cancel your membership in the first 3 days- you will be REFUNDED the $1 trial fee and you will NOT BE CHARGED the $19.95 membership fee! SHEESH! You guys believe anything and then get pissed when you find that you're bent over and asked to assume the position *LOL* I just got my dvd for $7.34 w/ free shipping. I will be calling the 1-866-529-3413 provided CLEARLY ON THE SITE (!!!) to cancel in 2 days to avoid being charged! *LOL* GET A BRAIN PEOPLE!! I hear they have good deals on them on eBay *LMAO* :D

• Jm
      6th of Jan, 2010

HotMovieSale.com respsonded to my complaints and refunded the $9.95. Thanks and caveat emptor

• Me
      14th of Jan, 2010

I also ordered a DVD in Dec. ... very cheap price. I notice after I ordered it that it came with a $14.99 a month membership fee. I called and immediately canceled the memberships (and so far have not been charged). ... But ... I have not received my DVD ... in fact they recently canceled it saying they do not have it in stock, even though they are still offering it to customers (saying it will ship within 24 hrs). So what gives. I sent them an email asking if they are a scam just trying to get that $14.99 membership every month.

• Gg
      25th of Jan, 2010

Another rip off company. I guess I should be getting used to this. Their membership is a fraud, I didn't sign up for it, but I got a bill for it. They had no merchandise in stock, whcih was not apparent in the order. These people should not be on the internet.

• Kn
      31st of Jan, 2010

I tried to order a DVD. They didn't have it. I check my Visa statements every month.
    They charged me a "subscription" on 9.95 twice the next month.
    I'm not fooling with the scamsters. I'm reporting them and closing that credit card.
    (Minor inconvenience to me)
    I should have known better and checked them out before trying to order something.

• Kn
      31st of Jan, 2010

I can’t speak for others, but I made no agreement.
    Isn’t it odd that people were charged different amounts?
    Isn’t it odd to call people stupid when one hasn’t even mastered a QWERTY keyboard?
    Lawsuit? Over 20 dollars? Nuff said.
    Looks like someone may be associated with the scam company and is defending them here.

• Er
      2nd of Feb, 2010
    HotMovieSale.com - Bogus membership fee
    Hotmoviesale.com
    Florida
    Hotmoviesale.com

These ###s are charging my credit card $9.95 a month for a bogus membership fee that i never agreed to. I bought one movie for 6 bucks next thing u no my card is being billed monthly. what a [censored]g scam. I really wish I could fly to Florida right now so I could beat the living ### out of these ###s. But all I can do for now is cancel my debit card which is gonna be a massive pain in butt right now. So beware n dont fall into there ### scam. God I am so pissed.

• Si
      5th of Feb, 2010

I am so glad I saw this, my husband and I were just looking at the movie sale last night picking out the movies we wanted, we were going to order them tonight when we saw the complaints for the first time.we had about 200.00 of movies we wanted, thought this was an awesome deal to get old movies we couldnt find anymore.so glad we saw this first.and I do agree with the comment about, looks like someone may be associated with the scam company and are defending them, seemed too upset just to be someone reading this, and some pretty ugly words.we should be more upset over the scam company than the ones who got scamed.I think they should be taken off the internet too.

• By
      16th of Feb, 2010

TOTAL SCAM!!! Glad I caught on before they totally raked me over the coals!! Nothing is "clearly stated" any where on the website or the "so called" email notification they sent. I only got emails that my movies have been shipped. At least I got my movies. I agree that they should be removed from the internet. A company should not be allowed to automatically charge your credit account just because they have it from a purchase.

• Wa
      25th of Feb, 2010

While reconciling my credit card report, I found this company is making a monthly charge of $19.95 faithfully out of my credit card account. This company was once known as the HMS Movies, PH: 866-566-8437, now still charging the same amount by the name of BBV hotmoviessales.com. I may have tried to buy a movie from this company as I do the Ebay retailing. I have never signed an agreement with this company for any movies. Although the this company is charging my credit card, we have not received any products. This is indeed one of the SCAM companies we all need to watch out for. My credit card company ensures I will be getting my money back. There are other SCAM companies and I need to closely monitor my account at least a monthly basis.

• Dc
      20th of Mar, 2010

Hey, anon.y.mouse and King Kalule...maybe you should consider there may be other ways in which these DVD's were ordered, where the purchaser does not go to the website - don't be so quick to assume you are so much smarter than anyone else. I have a feeling that experience should have taught you otherwise by now.
    In my case - I did an online search for the 20-minute workout video that I wanted...Amazon came up with three sellers that carried the video. I purchased my DVD (which was not cheap) from Amazon - the seller listed was "themoviepeople". NOT HotMovieSale.com and not Best Brand Values!!!
    The order page through Amazon DOES NOT mention ANYTHING about joining a club!!! The order confirmation I received came from Amazon as well.
    I would not even know to look at "HotMovieSale.com" when the seller listed on my order page was "themoviepeople". If they are not up to no good why so many names???????

• Pt
      23rd of Mar, 2010

Thanks for posting your experiences. I wish I could toss a few bucks to the victims, because they saved me from becoming one. Unfortunatly, the scammers would get in and foul that up too.

Please rememeber (and pass on to others) If it sounds too good to be true - Google it!

• He
      27th of Mar, 2010

i also ordered a movie from hotmoviesale. it said movie usually ships in 24 hours, however each week i got an email saying my movie was not in stock and was on back order. that went on for about a month then they sent me an email saying my order had been cancelled because they coud not get it yet they still have it on their website saying its available and usually ships within 24 hours. also there were charges to my credit card that i never authorized. when i complained they said they would refund my money but ive yet to see any refunds! please do not order anything from these slimeballs. all that will happen is you will wait for movies that will never come and be charged ridiculous fees that you have no knowledge of until it comes out of your bank account.

• Tr
      31st of Mar, 2010

That's what happens when you don't read. I easily found how to get past the offer and all i had to do was read. Don't blame others for your lack to pay attention to details on a websites. That's like signing a contract without reading it. Sorry if this upsets anyone but the truth hurts.

• Bf
      13th of Apr, 2010

They charged me, too! For three months I did not notice the charge. They would not give me credit! SCAMS!!! DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

There must have been a very unoticable hidden fine print, and the company thinks it's ok because we did not see it. CROOKS!!! DISHONEST!!! HOPE YOU GO OUT OF BUSINESS SOON!!!