Hoffman Fuel / Totally unfair to consumer

56 Quarry RoadTrumbull, CT, United States Review updated:
4.65
HOFFMAN refused me, twice, a delivery of oil just prior to the end of my capped-oil price; based on the fact my "automatic" delivery was not due for several weeks.

Yet, ONE WEEK later HOFFMAN delivers fuel despite the fact that each representative told me "You're not scheduled for several weeks" Including numerous messages left and unreturned by HOFFMAN.

My capped price expired and we were in the process of getting new price, trying to give HOFFMAN our business. THEN SUDDENLY BOOM! A delivery, that wasn't scheduled for several weeks, appears. HOFFMAN FUEL insists I'm responsible and must pay full market value.

WOW, what ever happened to dealing in good faith? This delivery was absolutely, despite HOFFMAN’s denial, a calculated deceit, in my opinion a form of extortion. Totally unfair to this consumer.

All phone calls, straight to "top" fell on deaf ears. No customer service provided at all, no considerations.

A settlement beneficial only to HOFFMAN is where it all ends. This homeowner was seriously ripped off!
Va

Comments

An
  2nd of Jun, 2008
Same thing is happening to me now with Hoffman. The budget payments are based on usage that I never will receive plus they hold on to the extra money. It seems to be an industry norm, however, because it's happened to me before with another company. I don't like the games.
La
  9th of Jul, 2008
Basically same happened to me told them I would contact BBB, they said, "" go ahead you aren't getting the oil, not due until August." how much oil do you think we use between the end of June and August?, none but the price lock has expired. All I can say is let as many people as possible know about your experiences. They have a program to recruit new costomers so I am sure do not enjoy loosing them
Fr
  10th of Jul, 2008
It's not really Hoffman Fuel's fault - all oil contracts are complicated and its a chance you take when you sign one. The oil companies are struggling to stay afloat and they can't sell you oil they buy at $3 for $2. You sound like you might be a customer who should use a discount oil site - you log on, check price, pay the discount price and do not have to deal with the complications the contracts sometimes bring - one you can check out is http://myoilheat.com

GLTY
Sh
  10th of Jul, 2008
I've been a customer of Hoffman Fuel for years and finds them to be the best in the area. Prices are high no matter where you go But Hofffman gives the best service of anyone else so I stick with them.
To
  23rd of Sep, 2008
I have had a number of conversations with people regarding Hoffman Fuel, it seems that all complaints are about Hoffman's underhanded treatment of price agreements. Basically they deliver when the price is to their advantage and refuse to deliver when the price increases after contracts have been negotiated.
They are outright rude on the phone and a company to stay away from at all costs. BBB has several complaints attached to this company. If oil prices are high everywhere you can at least give your money to a reputable company that appreciates your business.
Pf
  21st of Oct, 2008
I am considering getting a fixed price contract with Hoffman since prices have declined. Now I am afraid to. I have been with them for 8 years and have never ever had a problem. Their service is responsive and reps are pleasant. One delivery guy was rude, but maybe he was having a bad dau lr is rude. Repairs are on schedule and reliable. Few times the oil quality was low and caused problems, but I was told that would be true for all companies as they tend to get the same product. I can attest to the company but not their fixed price contract practices, which I am now wary to enter.
Di
  6th of Jan, 2009
Hoffman Oil is a huge disappointment. I always thought they were a reputable company but their actions over the last year have proved that they are a total sham.
How can a former customer make sure that their contract is cancelled if they can't speak with a representative (another shady business practices by Hoffman!) If you can ever get through to their office (and how many times have callers been put on indefinite hold and unable to speak with anyone?) the women that answer the phones are both arrogant and rude - obviously they don't understand the meaning of 'customer service'.
This is just another poor reflection on the Hoffman management as they allow their phone representatives to speak to customers in such a derogatory fashion.
It is my misfortune to have experienced all of the same poor business practices mentioned by others.
My situation is that my tank was filled up after my contract expired and I had already signed up with another company. As Hoffman wouldn't remove the oil from my tank I told them that I'd pay what my current supplier was charging me and no more.
I sent my check (which was promptly cashed) and included the email that I'd sent them explaining as to why I was paying the reduced amount - now they are sending my closed account to a collection agency. Surprise, surprise.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how this company can be reported to the Attorney General of Connecticut? Is this another Trudeau Oil company scam?

I have told many, many people about the poor business practices (scams) of Hoffman Oil and can only hope that their bad reputation will eventually result in their bankruptcy. May this happen sooner rather than later.
Dr
  6th of Jan, 2009
i can totally agree . every day i call a few different local companys and hoffmans market price is always a great deal higher . i am not locked in for this season but remain on automatic delivery which has yet to come. my tank never went under half full when i was locked in over 3.00 but now that the rates have dropped im nearly empty. when i called they swear there coming that day and never show. im sure if the price was higher they would be topping me off every other week.
and as far as service my furnace has not been cleaned since 07 and the soonest they could fit me in is jun 09. i would never have got involved with them if i had not inherited them from previous owner or if i had read all of these complaints prior. just as soon as im done with this comment i will be calling them and canceling all services.
Vi
  4th of Feb, 2009
Hoffman mailed out a letter a few weeks ago stating that due to lower oil prices the budget plan had changed. Unfortunately it didnt apply to all buget plan members only those that had singed in with a capped program. How was everyone supposed to know it ddint apply to them, when you received this letter. I didnt, for a few weeks I thought thats the right thing to do to lower everyone's budget plan. Some of the customer service staff is condencending harsh and just plain rude. You can work for a company and not become part of their tactics . During these diff economic types, when you call and are concerned what your balance is, you are met with rudeness and lack of interest. All oil prices contracts end end of April, be very careful that Hoffman doesnt show up and put oil in May. I signed with them after hearing disappointed customer now I am one of them. I will not resign with them.