HCC Health Insurance (HCCMIS) / Bogus health insurance

1 Los Angeles, CA, United States Review updated:

Total scam + rip off. Do not use this company. I purchased a six month plan for my husband and I while we were in between major medical insurance coverage. It was $178 per month - auto debit only. I used Eheathinsurance to obtain our policy. In the HCCMIS plan brochure, they encourage you to go to an urgent care center if you are ill and not the hospital. It is only a $50 co-pay if you use an UC facility. Or so it states. They will charge you an additional $300 on top of your ER visit if you are not admitted and use the ER instead. Nice. I was ill with a chest cold that turned into bronchitis in July 2010. I went to a reputable UC center in my area and paid my $50. I keep getting bills from that Urgent Care for $141.00 still as of today's date. HCCMIS also wouldn't pay for a baseline mammogram as they claim to in their agreement brochure. That ended up costing me another $150. I have argued with them 'till I am blue in the face. I have now taken my complaints to the California Insurance Board and other government boards in hopes of a resolution. HCCMIS have the most stupid, inept and rude (snarky) people to deal with any time I call or email. I disputed my monthly payment to them in October and the will not even answer my letters or my bank in any manner. Save yourself time & money and get a better short term plan. I would dare say ANY OTHER COMPANY would be a better place to be then with HCCMIS.

Comments

• Bu
      29th of Mar, 2011

Isn't an urgent care center different than an emergency room? I know that most insurance companies will not provide coverage for you if you use an ER and are not admitted overnight; but if you went to an actual "urgent care center" then that would be different than an emergency room -- I have been covered with HCCMIS in the past, and have received top-notch service; perhaps you should ask questions prior to using the plan if you are not sure of how the benefits work for you.

• Le
      29th of Mar, 2011

I'm so glad you had a nice experience. This is why this forum is so well needed. Good and services are always subjective. I'm very careful with any plans I pick and had never had any trouble with any other company with "basics" being covered. While my resolution with HCCMIS went smoothly, it was only after I made my original post above that the company finally contacted me to work things out. There are a lot of other well run temp plans out there that do not make it as elusive and difficult as HCCMIS does for it's plan holders. Perhaps mine was an unfortunate, isolated incident, but I'm still skeptical...

• Sc
      14th of Feb, 2012

I agree with BucketWife. Most health insurance companies have restrictions about using the emergency room if you are not admitted right away after that. That is designed liked that to keep the costs of the insurance low and so that people don't rush to emergency room every time, abuse it and drive up the costs for everyone. Of course, someone's situation may justify the ER visit, but insurance company needs to make the rules that they can uniformly and clearly enforce on everyone, rather than subjective rule (It may be an emergency for one person but not for others.)

• Le
      24th of Sep, 2013

DO NOT PURCHASE INSURANCE THROUGH THIS COMPANY NO MATTER WHAT!!!
    I applied and purchased insurance Jan 1, 2013 and I won't go into all the detail and frustrations of what every single month has been like between talking to the ins company, filling out required paperwork on every single claim, being harrassed by the doctor's offices needing to get paid. FFWD to Sept 20th, 2013...almost 10 Months from inception of purchasing insurance that I was so-called "approved" for...I called them to to discuss my claims that they are still wanting additional ppwk on and when we can get this resolved so that the doctors can be paid. That is when they decided to inform me that their manager has just reviewed my application and they have decided to RESCIND my policy. Sooooo, I have technically have no benefits, and wait... I forgot to mention...this coverage was for a family of FOUR and I paid $421.61 EVER SINGLE MONTH!!!
    Let me first say I do not abuse my benefits what-so-ever and have proof of every single emergency visit there was. And YES! Two of my my claims were emergencies that leaded to 2 emergency room visits and a couple follow up visits. For a family of 4 with two young children, of course they are going to have a few emergency visits in 10 months, which is why I had this policy. I unfortunately had a pretty bad emergency that lead to about 13K in bills. This of course is not my fault though...but like I said, I have all my proof and they better be ready.
    Especially after the fact that when insurance rep that relayed this lovely news to me, told me that there was not a manager or a live person that I could speak to as to why exactly HCC decided to leave me with ZERO benefits and having to pay my outstanding debts as a non-covered individual. But, he did say that on Sept 18th, 2 days prior to this call, they mailed out a certified letter that would have all the details that I could refer to.
    They are a bunch of crooks! Criminals are the ones who eventually have to pay for the mistakes they make, and there have been 10 months of mistakes here. Don't let this happen to you. I will keep posting this complaint on every website, I will go to the insurance boards and best of all, I have a lot of heat insurance lawyer connections.

29th of Aug, 2014

HCCMIS is the worst insurance company I have ever dealt with. They are inept or they just do not care. They care about their profit.

29th of Aug, 2014

... I spend endless minutes trying to get through to them on the phone. They keep sending me to a website on which I cannot sign up. They keep rejecting my claims, claiming they need the medical records or the doctor's visit charge, when my claims are the result of a surgery. They even denied payment of the anesthesia because I did not submit the medical records. I had phoned, I had emailed them... They told me not to worry because anesthesia details were included in the records the hospital submitted... So far, almost two months after the surgery, I have paid for the anesthesia charges, for all the prescription eye drops... and I am awfully scared about what may come. I am lucky to be an altogether healthy person other than that unlucky surgery!

• Be
      9th of Sep, 2014

Yes I agree

• Be
      10th of Sep, 2014

8 months ago I had a heart attack and HCC life insurance company still hasnt't paid a dime on my claim. They haven't denied my claim or accepted it. In the meantime bill collectors are coming after me cause my health insurance isnt paying its bills. Im going to fight this with the insurance commissioner and an attorney. Please do not buy this insurance. Total FRAUD

17th of Sep, 2014

Do not use this company. Impossible to get on the phone and the self service portal will not allow completed signup. I was pre-authorized for a procedure and after the procedure was completed they denied all financial responsibility. Any lawyers want to take a crack class action?

• Ti
      26th of Sep, 2014

HCC specifically states in my son's contract that they will cover immunizations without copay, deductible, or coinsurance for children ages 0-6. My son is 5, but they refuse to pay the claim. In addition, when I called to inquire about this, they told me they needed my son's permission to speak to me, even though I was the applicant. I found it completely outrageous that they would ask to speak with a toddler! I also have issues with their website not allowing me on, and the company repeatedly hanging up on me when I call. I'm filing a complaint with the state of Wisconsin Insurance commissioner where I live and I urge others to do the same!!!

• Sb
      7th of Oct, 2014

I have spent endless hours on hold and still no resolution on claims after 8 months. Claiming pre-existing conditions that are non-existent. My heart starts racing with stress every time I choose to dial the number and sit on hold for hours until someone answers and I have to start from square one. Nobody can seem to solve a problem. Doctors chasing me for payments long overdue. I truly believe they simply intend to outlast the patience of their customers so they don't have to pay any claims. This is the worst of America, and the reason we need insurance reform. This should be illegal. Heck, it probably is, but who do we go to?

• Di
      24th of Dec, 2014

I normally don't leave bad comment but this company is FRAUD. I used the Student Secure insurance for 3 months now. They either give the provider different information or they are trying to use different excuses to avoid their payments. People at claim department are very vague about claim status and everytime I called in they all give me different information. I remember when I initially purchased the plan and asked them about my address issue. The customer service even suggested me to use any address outside NY(Their policy is illegal under NY Insurance Law). Please avoid this company if you don't end up with debts.

• Hu
      5th of Jan, 2015

Totalmente de acuerdo, la PEOR. COMPAÑÍA DE SEGUROS, desde el comienzo cuando pedimos mi esposo y yo la cita donde el doctor fue un problema, pues cuando trataban de llamar a confirmar los datos de primera vez era imposible que contestaran el teléfono, entonces teníamos que ir a la casa y perder horas llamándolos a ellos y decirles a que doctor Hibamos a ir para que ellos llamarán y nos atendieran y por cierto Perder la cita ya hecha donde el doctor, ademas se supone que ese es el trabajo de ellos llamar y en cada cita teníamos que hacerlo y después de la cita también pues enviaban todos los cobros de el doctor, porque cuando cuando llega el Bill nos estaban cobrando todo debíamos llenar una gran cantidad de papeles para evitar algunos cobros porque el 90 % debíamos pagarlo en la cita porque la porquería de seguro no cubría, fuera de eso lo que les correspondía pagar no se lo pagaban a los doctores y nos seguían llegando billes, según ellos porque habíamos ido con una condición pre-existente, cuando habíamos ido a un chequeo general, TENGN CUIDADO CON ESTE SEGURO, Que de prestar servicio no tiene nada, así se hacen llamar para quitarle a uno el dinero, pues tras de que hay que pagarlo mensualmente, no cubre nada y fuera de eso uno les tiene que hacer el trabajo

• Su
      27th of Mar, 2015

I agree, do not use this company. They will give you every excuse they can to avoid paying the claims. They switch reasons on each claim too, which to me admits guilt, and that they don't know what's going on. I also signed up thru eHealth, and it told me coverage was effective immediately. So I went to the Derm. Dr 2 days later for a biopsy of a spot I was concerned about. Insurance said "they don't cover anything to do with skin", which is a bunch of bull, the policy says basically that cosmetic issues are excluded. Then they said I didn't wait the waiting period. The policy says there is a 3 day wait for sickness. Mine was not due to a sickness. They also would not pay for a routine physical a month later "we don't cover physicals". They require paperwork for everything, and the only way to complain is to write a letter that they ignore. Customer Service keeps saying "write another letter". I am still dealing with it. Dr Offices have never heard of them and they cant get the ins company on the phone! Stay far away!

• Su
      6th of Apr, 2015

DO NOT USE !! Please...I consider myself relatively intelligent, but this Company has made a fool out of me! and the so called Innovation Health Insurance...Total Fraud! Do not give them you Bank Account Information...You can get in--but you can not get out. There is no such thing as cancellation. All off the bills the my Doctors office have not been paid. The Doctor does not want to see me in the waiting area! Every week I receive unpaid bill notices. If they would invest in their Customers concerns instead of stamps for mail, they might generate satisfied repeat Customers. If there is an ATTY out there that would accept this Fraud Ticket Case...Please count me In.

• Hc
      20th of May, 2015

Horrible company!!! Would not pay my claim.Total run around to get any service.Tried to cancel and they kept drawing out of my account.For being in the health insurance business they have no Heart!!! JUST GREED!!!

• Hc
      15th of Aug, 2015

The federal authorities must investigate this company. They collect money, yet they will never pay any claim.

• De
      5th of Sep, 2015

The HCC short term medical insurance is a joke! They claim you will get the Coventry discount for using them, that is a lie! Thank God I only have one payment left with them then it is bye, bye for good! They make you sign online documents then they deny you anyway! All I wanted was my coventry discount for a doctor I went to that accepts Coventry Insurance! This was for a non exsisting condition for a 188 dollars and they still did not let me have my Coventry discount! They are blood eating, money hungry people! Stay away as far as you can!

• Fa
      19th of Oct, 2015

I am having a very very difficult time dealing with this company. I have used an ER for my miscarriage. When the hospital sent them the claim, HCC sent the hospital and myself an EOB stating the discounts. The hospital said they cannot apply these discounts since they are not in network to the provider. I am geting continous calls from the hospital to pay the bill or else they will send it to collection. It is clearly stated in the STM contract I signed with HCC that any pregnancy related issues will be covered only the pre-natal visits will not be covered. This insurance is so messed up. Their customer reps don't know jack about what they are talking...

• Pa
      10th of Nov, 2015

This is a SCAM!! I have insurance with this company since 2014. I have it for family of 3. I went to see doctor for my wife in 2014, then for myself in 2015 and for my 2 year old in 2015. My wife recently felt sick and I went to see doctor. I was sent back from doctors offices because my past payments are due and none of the expenses paid by the insurance. Now, I keep getting calls from doctors offices. I tried to make multiple calls to the HCCMIS, but they are rude and do not help to resolve the issue. I forgot to mention that they changed my policy on their own in Aug 2014, and removed other 2 members of my family off the insurance and during that time I took my wife to Urgent care. Now they are denying to pay that.