Halo Debt Solutions / Scam and rip off!

1 1401 N. Central Expy. Suite 350Richardson, TX, United States Review updated:
Phone: 214-466.6750

Beware of Halo Debt and Mike Maguire. I would like to let everyone know my situation with Halo Debt Solutions located in Dallas, Texas. I was a client or so called client of Halo Debt Solutions and initially spoke to Mike Maguire about the halo debt settlement service. Mike Maguire totally lied to me about how my accounts would be handled, in fact they where all turned over to attorneys and now they are garnishing my wages and putting a lien on my home. Mr. Maguire told me that I had no worries and that the program would not hurt my credit or personal living. Halo Financial did nothing but put me in more financial troubles than when I started their settlement program. This company totally ripped me off, not only did they put me in a real stressful situation but they stole all the money I invested into the program.

If you happen to run into Halodebt.com please think twice about using this company or Mike Maguire. Unless you want to be lied to, cheated, and mentally abused please stay away. Halo Debt Solutions is clearly trying to cheat people out of money. Mike Maguire has no remorse or care for the victim of this situation. Halo Financial should be shut down and all clients should be refunded for their actions. I am also going to write a letter to the BBB and Attorney General about the wrong doings of this company.

Va

Comments

• Mi
      6th of Feb, 2008

This filing is completly false and slanderous. The complaint was filed by a Competitor's representative. In the State of Texas, there is no wage garnishments laws for unsecured debts and a home owner is protected with Homestead Laws. Many competitor sales representatives have filed a false complaint and send their prospects a link to discredit the competition.

Halo Debt Solutions and the employee's of Halo Debt Solutions provide a service with honesty and integrity. Please do not judge this company or it's employee's by false propaganda being slanderously posted in an effort to make themselves look better. The same exact complaint was posted by someone as "unanymous" on another website. At least this one has a fake name of "Sam". I will gladly put my name on this complaint rebuttal.

Mike Maguire

27th of Aug, 2008

Please look up your company in Google like everyone else does and see what's out there for people like me to go by. This is not the only complaint. Why does your company go by more than one name? I can't seem to find out what your fees are either. Many people are looking for real solutions, not pie in the sky hopes and dreams. There are so many companies out there waiting to prey on innocent people in trouble, what are we to do?

• Er
      6th of Nov, 2008

Hi,

This is Erica Smith, a webmaster of some quality financial websites having good internet presence and traffic. As I found your website is relevant to my one, I'd like to have you as my link partner. I'm ready to give you some healthy links (both text and banner) from content pages of my websites.

So if you are interested then feel free to contact me at ericasmith568@gmail.com with your website link details.

Looking forward to your quick reply.

Have a nice day. :)

Regards,

Erica
    ericasmith568@gmail.com

• Wa
      20th of Nov, 2008

I am using an anoymous name and email because I do not want to be bothered. I am enrolled in Halo Debt Solutions and I do not believe them to be ripoffs. They definitely are a functioning company trying to offer a service. However I am not fully satisfied either. My sales rep downplayed how the program impacts my credit score and I was unaware of how quickly I would pay their fee upfront to them. I am also getting bombarded with creditor calls and threats and their agents seem to have no answers and some indicate that it is there job only to settle the debts once enough is saved. I was unaware of the stress and pressure that goes hand in hand with debt settlement. The creditors may settle down the line, but they are hardly cooperative up to this point. Halo has not neccessarily lied. Their salesmen may have embellished a little. Some of their costumer service people seem genuine and want to help, others seem disinterested and detached. I am sticking with the program but in retrospect I would not have enrolled in settlement if I had known the facts. Going with a company that offers a full service (stop most calls, handle summons) seems important to me. However I do not have anyone to gauge halo against.

• St
      22nd of Dec, 2008

I am also an "EX" client of Halo Debt Solutions. I also fully believe that this company is a scam. My debts, $30, 000 were estimated to be settled in 3 years. However, after 1 year of faithful payments not a single debt of mine was ever settled, negotiated, or even addressed by Halo. Many false promises were made to me during my enrollment. I was lead to believe that this would be a simple process. Quickly I realized that the creditors do not stop calling, do not stop pursuing, and do not care of your enrollment in Halo's program. Kemarie McMinn was my "Specialist" and Deenie Daley was my "Service Rep".

So my outcome of this experience is, all of my accountS enrolled in the program were referred to attorneys. An Arbitration Claim was failed against me which could have resulted in wage garnishments. I have decided to file bankruptcy instead and when I informed Halo that I wished to cancel the program they informed me that I would not be refunded a penny!!! After I have paid them over $3000 and they accomplished absolutely nothing for me in return!!! Their contract states that the "enrollment fee" is nonrefundable but it does NOT clarify that every penny you ever pay them is theirs to keep. I have involved my bank and they are investigating fraud and I may have to take them to court to resolve the rest of the money they are keeping. What kind of company refuses to refund money that was paid to perform a service that was never performed???

On a side note, Halo and Mr. McGuire will site laws regarding debt collection practice etc (ex. wage garnishments and house leins) that pertain specifically to their state of Texas. However, they accept clients across the country (I live in California) and we are all bound by different laws.

Point in short... DO NOT TRUST HALO DEBT SOLUTIONS!!!

• Li
      31st of Jan, 2009

Not sure I have be in touch with someone from halo debt And thought I would try them but now after I have read the comments Im not sure .If some-one out there can till me something good at all about this place I have printed some of them.????????s

• Pj
      28th of Mar, 2009

I started with Halo Debt Solution (HDS) back in July 2008. The sales person Mike Maguire told me that Halo Debt negotiates millions of dollars of debt with Citibank and they have strong negotiating power that regular folks like me do not have with these banks. He told me that HD typically settle for 40-60% with Citibank and I can be debt free in 36 months.

I asked him what happened if Citibank sued me and he assured me that the probability of that happening is extremely low and even in a lawsuit, HDS can still negotiate with the lawyers and they can still settle for 40 - 60% because the lawyers do not want to engage in a lengthy and costly judgment and may not even get to collect any money. So I thought this is the holy grill to my debt problems and gladly signed up with them.

Fast forward 8 months later and I have already paid $5000 to HDS, Citibank threw out 2 law suits against me. During the entire 8 months, HDS did nothing for me except calling and emailing me once a month to see how I am doing. They did sent a letter to Citibank to stop calling me and to contact them directly regarding my debts. Of course, Citibank doesn't want to deal with HDS and I am still hounded by daily calls morning till evening from Citibank. HDS suggest I do not answer or speak to anyone representing Citibank, and I gladly obliged, believing that HDS will continue to represent me and work out a solutions with Citi. When I was presented with the summons, HDS told me that the best they can do is 80% of my total debt when it ends up in a lawsuit, and this is not 80% off my original debt amount, this is the total debt including all interest compounded, late fees, finance charges, and all the works that these banks can top up to your original debt amount over the entire time you are trying to save up to pay off your debt. So what happened to the 40-60% of my original loan amount? What happened to No Interest accrued due to HDS debt settlement program?

Taking into account the amount of money I have paid to HDS, the negotiated settlement amount, and court fees I have to pay, I ended up paying more in total amount than I originally owe. When I asked for a refund, guess what, I was told there is no grounds for my request for a refund. In fact, if I do not continue with my monthly payment to HDS, they will cease providing anymore service to me! So everything that I have paid in the past to HDS doesn't count towards future services. In retrospect, if I have taken the initiatives to speak to Citibank and explain my current financial difficulties and work with them on an agreeable solution, I would have avoided all the finance charges and the ugly lawsuits, and I would have save $5000 that I paid to this ### HDS company.

My advice to all who read this, and I hope you do: DON"T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY WITH HALO DEBT SOLUTIONS. THEY ARE A GREEDY AND SCRUPULOUS COMPANY THAT PREYS ON UNINFORMED FOLKS LIKE US. THEY PRETTY MUCH DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU, EVEN THOUGH THEY PRETEND TO WHEN YOU ARE PAYING YOUR MONTHLY FEES, AND THEY KICKED YOU AWAY WHEN YOU FINALLY REALIZE THAT THEY DON'T DO ANYTHING FOR YOU THAT YOU CANNOT DO YOURSELVES.

The banks are not as bad as these debt settlement companies make them out to be. They are willing to work out a viable solution through low monthly plan and stop accruing late fees, interest, and finance charges. I can't say that is the case with all banks, but I was able to work out a solution with Chase and Bank of America. I wished I would have done the same 8 months ago with Citibank. It could have been worse if I also included my Chase and BoA debt to my Citibank debt and I would have paid much more out of pocket to HDS and end up with 4 - 5 lawsuits from all 3 banks instead of just 2 from Citibank.

HDS is a scam that pretends to be a legal company. Stay as far away as you can.

7th of Apr, 2009

totally a rip off I need to know what to do? Should I fill bankrupsty? can't be any worst than Halo Debt Solutions

7th of Apr, 2009

rip off rip off I had Mike Maquire cell phone number I called last night. The message on the phone is Mike Miquie I no longer work for Halo Debt Solution if you are a personal friend you can call my wife phone. Deenie Daley is my rep boyy is she a joke!!! and so is the company some one should report them to the better bissness bureua in Texas. I will make sure if I can that they are shut down

29th of May, 2009

I've got $24, 000 in card debts when I signed up with Halo. They took $336 out of my bank acccount each month as part of the program. Recently an escrow payout came through large enough to payoff all the cards. I wrote to them on May 1st telling them to terminate the agrement. Their agent proceeded to argue that I was better off paying them for three years instead of paying the card companies immediately. Shortly after, I find another payment taken from my bank account. When I objected, the agent said they were not going to refund the payment because she said I needed their service. I immediately had to change my bank account to prevent further charges. I'll file a complaint as soon as I find the right agency

• Gr
      28th of Jan, 2010

FBI, Secretary of State, BBB, Attorney General...All those may help

24th of Feb, 2010

When I signed up I was told that arrangements had been made with each card company. I found out that no such arrangement existed. When I told them I wanted out, the agent continued to charge my account. I contacted the local Chamber of Commerce and finally got a phone call saying the charge would be reversed. I also found that when I went back to paying the card companies, Discover jumped my monthly finance charge to 28% per month. When I did a housing refinance I was able to get enough out to pay off all the cards. Then Discover sent me a bill for the interest from their statement date to the payment date. Only it was calculated using the 28% and some phoney purchases total.

• De
      18th of Jun, 2010

Hmmmmm, I am reading all of these comments and feel that there is both truth and nontruth to most of them. I am a client of HDS and the bottom line is they are doing everything they said they would do for me. I enrolled 30K worth of debt and so far all but 3 accounts are settled in less than 2 years. We have been called to court 3 times and they really did nothing to help with court. When you go back and really read the "contract" they never say they can represent you in court they say that they will assist you - which is basically just giving you general advice and sending you some links for summons answers that you can find through any google search. We got totally different advice for the different summons...as in they gave us more helpful information the second time than they did the first. Stupid.

I think what happens is that when you are in the situation where you are looking for a company such as halo you believe and interpret things the way you want to believe them and they know that and they promote themselves accordingly. You cannot be emotional when making a decision like this. They do not lie to you in the initial agreement on paper. The calls do eventually stop - it may take up to a month for it to happen but they stop. I get the feeling that this firm does so much in volume that you pretty much become a number, if you don't stay on them you can get sort of swept under the rug. The reps are trained very well to give a feeling of serenity and trust and who knows if there is any sincerity in there at all; my guess is it varies from person to person. I think I have dealt with nine different reps so far and that can be very frustrating.

On the other hand, they have settled several accounts for us at less than 40%. We have paid them a lot of money to basically do what you can do yourself if you understand the process at all which most people don't and the information seems to be a big secret that you can only find by either going through the painful process and learning as you go or buying books from some goofy author that has found a way to capitalize on the same sad fate so many others are experiencing.

My assessment is if you don't a very high debt, like say it is around $15, 000, and you don't have the stomach to handle all of the calls and hounding until you can save enough money to negotiate, then dealing with them isn't so bad. They are friendly and humor you nicely through the process. You are definitely throwing away money in fees to them that you could put toward your debt and the bottom line is most of these companies would settle with you anyway after you become severely delinquent. If you have considerably high debt and all you can do is pay toward the plan halo lays out for you, halo probably isn't going to be able to do anything for you and in most cases your debt will go to court which is not pleasant. Bankruptcy probably isn't a bad option.

Hope this helps someone. In my opinion the real problem lies in Washington because this should not be such a game. The whole system is designed to see you fail and all the players ultimately work off of each other to their own gain. The consumer has very little opportunity to educated himself while on the other hand you are up against banks, lawyers, and debt "professionals" such as halo. It's sickening.

• Ed
      1st of Sep, 2010

When searching a debt relief company to work with always look at their fee structure. If they charge anything up-front or charge monthly dues, it's better to stay away. Settlement companies should only charge a fee once a settlement has been finalized between the company and the clients creditor. They should also charge minimal fees based on what they save their clients. www.personalcreditsolution.com operates with this fair fee structure and offer a full satisfaction guarantee to each of their clients. Remember, there are honest settlement companies out there...you just have to do your homework and see what you're really paying for their service.