Fast Growing Trees Nursery / False Advertising

1 4475 Morris Park Dr.Charlotte, NC, United States Review updated:
Phone: 704-945-9264

I ordered 5 hybrid poplar trees from this company. They advertise them as 3 to 5 feet tall. None of the trees were even 3 feet tall. One was 28 inches. In circumference, they were less than the size of a pencil. They looked like twigs with a couple leaves on them. The way they were shipped was they were tossed in cardboard boxes with no anchoring at all. They apparently bounced around in the boxes during shipment. 3 of them arrived broken. I called the company. They told me to send them photo's of the broken trees. I did. They then decided that only 2 of them were broken so they offered to send me 2 replacement trees. I told them I didn't want any of them because NONE of them were 3 to 5 feet tall as advertised on their website. They then wanted more photo's showing the trees next to a measuring tape. I sent those. In that photo, you can clearly see the trees are NOT 3 feet tall, let alone 3 to 5 feet. I asked if they even had trees that were 3 to 5 feet and if they didn't, please refund my money. They advised they have a NO REFUND POLICY. I pointed out that under Federal Trade Commission rules, if they can't ship me what they advertised, they have to refund my money and since they obviously didn't have trees that were 3 to 5 feet tall, I wanted a full refund. After not hearing from them for several more days, I sent them another e-mail and advised that I had filed a complaint with the North Carolina Attorney General's office, Consumer Protection Department. I also filed a complaint with the BBB. I got an e-mail back stating they were refunding my money, which they did do.

Today, I received a copy of the letter they sent to the NC Attorney General's office in response to my complaint to the Consumer Protection Department. It is so incredibly full of lies, it isn't even funny. Lie # 1, they said only 2 of the trees were damaged as a result of FedEx shipping. Not true. 3 of them were damaged. And they weren't damaged as a result of FedEx. They were damaged because they were packed so poorly. Lie # 2, she said that I refused any free replacements. Not true. I refused 2 replacement trees. I wanted all 5 trees replaced with 3 to 5 foot trees, which is what they advertised. Lie # 3, She said all of the trees were "well over 3 feet tall. Not true. One of them is 28 inches. None of them are 3 feet. Lie # 4. She said they offered me a discount to make me happy. They NEVER offered me any discount at all. Lie # 5, She said I refused to return the trees to them. Not true. I have the e-mail where I asked them to advise me when FedEx would be picking them up so I could repack them. I never heard from them.

Since I got a refund, I would have let this drop until these idiots wrote to the Atty General's office with this letter full of lies. I've now written back to the Atty General's office pointing out every single lie and requested that this company be investigated for false advertising and deceptive trade practices.

Bottom line, don't order from this company. You won't get what you think you're going to get from the ads they have on their website. Not to mention, what they charged me for these twigs with leaves was absurd. $29.95 and I swear, it looks like they cut some thin branches off a real tree and stuck them in a pot or something.

Fa

Comments

• We
      12th of Sep, 2008

An Unfortunate Honest Mistake
    It was unfortunate that the wrong size tree was sent to Faye and we do aplogize that the mistake was made. The complete amount of her order was refunded shortly after her notifying us. We were notified on 6/19/2008 and the money was refunded 6/25/08. When this amount was refunded we were still not sure that she had indeed received the wrong tree.

We will always strive to find better ways of shipping packages as well as better techniques of packing. We do our very best to educate our employees on these procedures, unfortunately mistake will occasionally still happen.

Faye did send us photos. We could not get an accurate perspective of height from the photos. Nor did we realize one of the photos she sent with a tape measure was of a tree that was intact and had not suffered shipping damage.

We do not use deceptive advertising. This is another area we frequently update to better inform the customer. One example of this would be the Willow Hybrid page.
    www.fast-growing-trees.com/WillowHybrid.htm which clearly states 'they may not look like much... they look like young bare-root, thin trees.'

In her complaint Faye made no mention of her previous order of over $400. I do not believe if we had been practicing deceptive advertising that she would have placed a new order 5 months later.

We have a very well laid out website clearly stating all of our Terms of Service and Replacement Guarantee. On the check out page it clearly states by submitting your order you are agreeing to our Terms of Service. You can review the Terms of Service and Replacement Guarantee at:
    www.fast-growing-trees.com/TermsOfService.htm &
    www.fast-growing-trees.com/Guarantee.htm

Wendy Sea
    Customer Service Manager

• Yu
      15th of Oct, 2008

Do Not Order through fast-growing-trees! I've had a Terrible experience with them.

I have similar experience with fast-growing-tree nursery.

I've ordered a Royal Empress tree and a Eucaryptus tree.
    First of all, they took like one week to send the trees after ordering online.
    When I received the trees, Royal empress tree was so small. They advertise the tree size will be between 6 inch to 2 feet but it was cleary not even 6 inch. It was 4-5 inch with two little leaves. I couldn't believe how small the tree was and didn't even look like a tree.
    But I figured since it's a fast growing tree, it should grow quickly. Therefore, I planted according to instruction.

Within a few days after being planted, the tree was cleary dying so I sent email to the nursery asking what I should do. I sent email to customerservice@fast-growing-trees.com. All I got was an auto-reply to notify me that they have received my email. Four days later, no response.

By that time, the tree was totally dead. It was actually a fast dying tree instead of a fast growing tree. So I took a pic of the tree and sent to the same email address again. Another four days, no response. Then I realized, they note that they don't respond to email that was send to wrong email address. They have four different email addresses, very confusing.

So I decided to send another email to all of their email address they provide. replacements@fast-growing-trees.com;customerservice@fast-growing-trees.com; billing@fast-growing-trees.com;status@fast-growing-trees.com This time asking for refund or replacement.
    Customer service should take care of all issues or at least forward my email to the right department.

Then I got reply from billing@fast-growing-trees.com (how do I know if I need to send my email to billing department while they have customer service and replacement email address?) saying they only have received one of two previous emails that I sent (I've got auto-reply mail from each email that I sent, so I know it reached them.) Lie!

I found out that they replace the tree for $10 fee and no refund. Why do I have to pay another $10 for replacement while other local nursery have 1-year guarantee for free?
    But I asked if they can send bigger size tree (not like 5 inches), so that it won't die again.
    They replied with me that they can replace the tree but no guarantee on sizes. It will be 6inch to 2 feet.
    AND there is no future replacement. Basically, I don't have any choice. I can't ask them to send bigger size tree nor have option for future replacement nor refund. Very poor customer service.

So, they charged $10 for replacement and it's been a week since they placed for replacement.
    The tree still hasn't been shipped yet.

It's been for three weeks since I initially requested for replacement.
    I sent another email asking when the tree will be shipped and I'm not happy with their service.
    The reply I got was, "Sorry you feel that way. Your replacement will ship on Monday. "
    Just plain one line sentence. That was their reply.

I will have to wait another 5 days plus shipping time to get this little tree?
    It doesn't even state why it is delaying or I'm not even sure which Monday.
    At this point, I don't even know if they are going to send me replacement.

Fast-growing-tree nursery totally runs poor business and has poor customer service.
    I'll never place order with them and don't order through Fast-growing-tree nursery.

9th of Jun, 2009

SIMPLE BUYER BEWARE.
    They are very deceptive, so be warned.
    I did not receive a tree, but a very poor clone.

Now looking for a seed grown tree.

Remember always ask questions.

• Fa
      30th of Jul, 2009

I just received the same twig clone Empress trees that the above customer did, they are not more than four inches some of them and the stalks, maybe 1/4 inch wide. WOW I just paid 24.00 bucks a pop for these little twigs. All of them but one are broken, it's only day one but I don't see these things surviving. This is NOT what I thought I was ordering. I expected a tree with an actual started trunk that was just cut down for shipping. They were horribly packaged and STAPPED to the side of the box. Now I get long stem red roses all the time and never had one arrive from PRO FLOWERS all trashed like this. They don't package well AT ALL. BUYER BEWARE!!! I am going to the BBB too!

• Fa
      30th of Jul, 2009

Empress trees, stalks not any bigger than a long stem red rose...what a rip off!

• Ba
      20th of Aug, 2009

I ordered a Crepe Maple that arrived dried up with 10 crispy leaves. I sent pictures, and sent emails and was promised a reply after reviewing my pictures. I'm still waiting. I will plant this dried up $100.00 twig I bought myself for my birthday and hope that something comes or it. Do not buy from these people. They don't have good stock and their policy stinks. Live and learn. Just pass on the bad press. Eventually they'll go out of business.

• Wh
      22nd of Aug, 2009

Just received a Crape Myrtle today from fast growing trees ordered through Brightest Blooms and couldn't stop laughing when I opened the box...I felt so stupid for paying all that money for two twigs...with a bunch of diseased dried up leafs...I have never bought a tree on line but when I read their advertisement is states "When you buy trees from Brighter Blooms Nursery, you get the added value of better root systems so you’ll be enjoying beautiful blooms right away." So I guess I was expecting to see a tree soon to start blooming...WOW...Have we been had by this company. Can't wait to talk to them on Monday after reading all the above reviews...I'm sure they will be really helpful! NOT!!!

• Fo
      25th of Aug, 2009

I bought two Summer Red Maples less than a year ago and the warrantee, as stated in their web site, was that they would replace any tree for half price if it died within the first year. Well one of them did die. I submitted their "Replacement Tree Application" per their website and after no response I called them on 8-25-2009. Their suppossed Customer Service Manager said their warranty policy had changed since July and that I was no longer qualified to received any consideration. I asked to speak to his manager and he said that he was it. The trees were suppose to be 7 ft + and weren't but I overlooked that. My mistake. Hopefully I can help other people in not making the same mistake I did. DO NOT BUY FROM FAST GROWING TREES NURSERY UNLESS YOU JUST FEEL LIKE YOU NEED TO BE CHEATED!!!
    Jim in Texas

• Va
      29th of Mar, 2010

Thanks for the warnings - I was going to order from them. No way now!!! My order rang up at $1100. - too much money to risk on crap.

thanks

• Wh
      31st of Mar, 2010

We bought a crape myrtle last June and received a twig. We planted it, cared for it, babied it ...only to find out this spring that it didn't make it. The twig is now as dry as a dead twig gets and they will not honor the warranty that was in place at the time because their return policy has changed since the time that we bought it !!! We have never heard of such shady business...to say this company does not have integrity is kindly said. We hope at a minimum this information will help someone understand the risk involved with ordering trees from this website...we suggest you deal with a local greenhouse instead...what you see in the pictures is not at all what you get from Fast Growing Trees.

• To
      6th of Apr, 2010

I was impressed with their web site. After reading these reviews, I will not be ordering from them

• Dt
      15th of Apr, 2010

I agree with you about their website its pretty slick. The tree that I recieved was NOT the picture on the website, but a stick with a few roots. If I knew that I was going to get an underdeveloped clone bare roots wraped in paper taped to the side of the box it was shipped in I would have NEVER have ordered from this company. Local nurseries are the way to go for sure.

26th of May, 2010

Do not order from this company!!! Check out your local nursery first! I also ordered from this company last year in June 2010. I ordered a Green Thuja Giant 1-2 foot tree for $32 (includes shipping). It came basically as a barely rooted broken off twig in a very small plastic container...the twig itself was only about 1/2 in diameter at its thickest. I planted it and it grew some over the summer and into the Fall. A year later, it is still growing a little. While it is taller than before, it is not really filling out at all. I was looking to order at least 6 more of these trees for my backyard and decided to check out some more local nurseries to see if any had Green Giants in stock this year (last year they didnt have any in stock except for 6-8 footers). A local nursery in my area had several 4 foot Thuja Green Giants in 3 gallon containers for just $19.99! (Note: the 4 foot height I am referring to is the actual height of the tree above the container). These 4 footers are very full with many branches and thick stumps. I couldn't believe it! If I had known that this is what the younger Thuja Green Giants were supposed to look like I would have been very angry when my online order from Fast Growing Trees Nursery arrived. What was sent to me from Fast Growing Nursery looked like just one of the hundreds of branches that are on the 4 foot tree at my local nursery. I have a feeling it will be years before my tree from "fast-growing trees nursery" will ever even reach the size and fullness of the ones that I found at my local nursery. I feel like Fast Growing Trees Nursery did the exact opposite of what they state on their website.

Here is what the website claims:
    "Beware... all Thuja Green Giants are not the same. Some nurseries sell newly rooted, Thuja branch cuttings as plants. Thuja Giants are a hybrid and don’t grow from seed. They are started by planting branch cuttings.

We take these rooted cuttings and grow them in large pots for a full 1-2 years longer than our competitors, depending on the size of the tree. This way you get a hardy, well developed root system that is ready to support rapid growth.

Many nurseries try to sell you newly rooted Thuja branch cuttings as evergreen trees. They’re not only delicate, but you’ll see very little growth the first year. They have to establish a stronger root system first. Often these are sold as “bare root” or in small pots."

We understand that you don’t want to wait for your trees to grow. You can be assured that when you order from Fast Growing Trees Nursery, you are getting the highest quality, fastest growing Thuja Green Giants available."

Fast Growing Trees Nursery sent me a newly rooted "delicate" Thuja branch cutting in a small pot. No way was the twig they sent me grown 1-2 years longer than their competitors! Their site puts on a good show, but in the end this Nursery does not produce what they advertise. The prices are outrageous for the actual product they send you. I am so relieved that I went to a real local Nursery and found true established trees worth planting (and for a lot less $ too!).

• Ct
      11th of Aug, 2010

Note the bizarre responses the company posts in these complaint comments. They never really acknowledge their poor quality and service and usually make no attempt at all to reach out to resolve the issue, instead relying on their "policy" and "website" to back them up. Quality customer service doesn't mean saying that you don't care about the customer's issue because there's no policy for it.

This company is the first I've ever dealt with where I'm actually requesting a chargeback be processed from the credit card company. The quality the product I received from them was so bad that I simply find it beyond unacceptable. Buyer beware... there are a lot of complaints against them and the same couple of issues keep coming up. Obviously there will be problems with any company, but when the same complaints come up over and over again in reviews, there's probably a reason behind it.

• Gm
      16th of Aug, 2010

I just received my 3 "trees", and I could not be more disappointed. I paid $250 for 3 twigs that have trunks that are thinner than my pinky...and no branches. Unbelievable. I would expect a 5-7 foot tree to actually resemble a tree, but what I received looks more like a bare twig stuck in the ground.

• Om
      13th of Oct, 2010

Wow thank GOD I did my research before buying!! My order would have been $2, 100 I guess I will check my local nursery thx!!

• Ro
      27th of Mar, 2011

Yes this is a bad deal for every consumer. I purchased the bundle package along with their starter kit. I planted each "twig" according to specifications their broucher describes and watered accordingly: NOTHING. Nothing has taken root for 1 year now. Buyer beware.

• Ke
      5th of Apr, 2011

Oh No!!! I just ordered over $200 worth of shrubs from this company and, after reading all these complaints, I wish I hadn't. They are supposed to arrive in 2 days. I have a feeling I'm going to be disappointed...

• Ke
      14th of Apr, 2011

Well I received my shrubs. They came in one box and were actually packaged fairly well. Each one was in it's own pot and they were wrapped in plastic bags to help retain moisture. That being said, the shrubs are extremely small for the price. I could have gone to Home Depot and bought virtually the same type of shrub, paid the same price, but would have ended up with a plant that was 10 times larger. I don't think that I got my money's worth but I certainly didn't get burned as bad as some of the other people who have listed complaints about this company. I will chalk this experience up as a lesson learned and never buy plants online again. Honestly, the more you think about buying plants online, the dumber it sounds. Go to a local Home Improvement store or Nursery and buy your plants there. That way you see what you are paying for BEFORE you fork out the cash.

Also, I have confirmed what another person wrote regarding the company's "Free Shipping" promotion. They ALWAYS have free shipping but they have a banner at the top of their website that says something like "Free FedEx Delivery. Ends Thursday at Midnight". That banner never changes. It's just a way of creating a false sense of urgency so the potential customer won't think about how stupid it is to order plants online, they'll just think "...oh man, I gotta hurry up and place my order if I want to get free shipping!" It's a gimmick, but a completely legal one because they really don't tell you which Thursday the Free Shipping ends on. It could be this Thursday or it could be the 25th Thursday in the year 2050...

Bottom line, don't buy plants online. It's just a dumb thing to do.

• Ri
      19th of Apr, 2011

I was so close to ordering 2 pink dogwoods. Thank God I decided to read the reviews. I'm going to save myself the headache and leave this site. I'll be shopping at the local nursery. Thanks for being honest and posting your experience. While it's probably too late to help you, your comments help to inform potential buyers.