Expedia.com / false advertisement, poor customer service, faulty third party business practices

1 8107 Avalon CourtWest Long Branch, NJ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 732-298-1227

I used Expedia.com to book travel acommodations for my graduation weekend in Lynchburg, Va. I used Expedia's unpublished room rates to book a room for two adults and 1 child, age 15. After being charged $97.13 per night for a total of $291.40, it was revealed to be at the Days Inn in Bedford, Va. Unable to complete the transaction online, I called the 800 number where a reservationist verified 2 double beds in a non-smoking room. She could not guarantee the bed size because I requested 2 queen. I gave her my credit card information with the itinerary number before instructing me to return online because she was unable to input the card number. Under Hotel Rules and Restrictions, all bookings are final and cannot be cancelled, refunded, changed, exchanged or transferred; the hotel will require a valid credit card... in the name of the primary hotel guest; and while Expedia works to ensure that the amenities shown are available, we cannot guarantee they will be in service during your stay; the hotel name and exact location will be shown after you book; all rooms are guaranteed to sleep the number of guests you provided during your search, but we cannot guarentee the number of beds. I arrived at the Days Inn in Bedford, Va at 5:30 pm on May 12, 2011 only to find out that Expedia had booked a queen smoking room and paid $39.40 for Thursday night and $80.36 for Friday and Saturday. I repeatedly called Expedia.com, was put on hold for up to 2 hours and 45 minutes, and was disconnected 6 times. Hotwire called the front desk and was informed that the hotel was booked for Friday and Saturday. at 9:45 pm, I was given a double bed, non-smoking room and charged the difference between the regular room rate of $72 and the $39 paid by Expedia. The room was malodorous with stink bugs. the next day, I was told that I could remain in that room for an a, dditional $118.58. However, unable to pay additional monies, I was forced to take the queen smoking room for which I had paid $97.13. Because 3 people (75 year old mother, 50 year old graduate student, and 15 year old daughter) could not sleep in one queen bed, I was to be charged an additional $20 for a cot. By 7 pm the following night, my daughter was experiencing an asthma attack. The hotel office and Expedia continued to ignore my repeated requests for assistance, especially since the hotel was not filled to capacity and the room reservation did not accomodate the number of people specified. At the emergency room, my daughter was given a treatment and sent back to the hotel with an inhaler. She and I (both asthamtics) spent the night in the car. Expedia.com sent a private message informing me that my information had been passed on to the appropriate representatives. Yet, to date- May.19, 2011, i have not been contacted. I am now blocked from the Expedia.com website and unable to communicate with them online. When the 800 number is called, the representatives refuse to connect me with a supervisor or anyone in the corporate office. Complaint: false advertisement re: guaranteeing appropriate sleeping arrangements for number of guests provided; improper 3rd party contractual agreements- i should not have been charged extra for corrective services (room rate discrepancies and sleeping conditions); reeimbursement for additional expenses including medical treatments incurred because of Expedia's booking error.

Comments

• Dr
      19th of May, 2011

Expedia has a bad set up. They don't gaurenter anything. You're not the first and wont be the last.