Expedia.com / terrible customer service, wrong information for travel

I purchased a flight for my brother to fly from Vermont to Wisconsin for a job interview. All confirmations I received stated the flight was on US Airways, turns out though when he went to check in it was United. It took the airport personnel so long to figure that out that he missed his flight. After a combined 2.5 hours on the phone with 800-EXPEDIA in India we finally got him a new flight, several hours later and he made it in very late the night before his early AM interview. Everyone we talked to tried to charge us expensive fees to get him on another flight after he missed his first one due to their error. I asked for someone to call me back by the end of business or by the end of the next day at the latest to hear about a resolution, and of course no one called. When I called back I had to talk with 3 people, one of whom basically told me I couldn't read. She had a different confirmation than I had, her version clearly stated the flight would be on United, but I never received that confirmation. If I had life would have been good! I finally spoke with a manager who credited me a $100 but didn't resolve the issue. She stated that it was my responsibility to log-in to my account and print out the itinerary from there. So why do they send an email confirmation that says print this and take it with you?! And how could my brother log-in to my account and print a confirmation? Ridiculous. There were other issues too, our confirmation numbers had changed, flight numbers had changed, they did not contact us to let us know. Everyone there my brother and I spoke with treated us very rudely, their attitude was like we didn't matter and that were bothering them when they made a mistake and wouldn't own up to it. Expedia Promise (http://www.expedia.com/daily/highlights/Expedia-Promise/default.asp?CCheck=1) my ###! I will never use Expedia again, you cannot trust their information to be accurate, (their own customer service agents agreed to this statement when I was on the phone with them). Please pass this on to save others the frustration and humiliation my family and I experienced.

Comments

Ra
  25th of Jun, 2007

My wife and I want to fly to Great Britain in October 2007. We wish to use a credit granted us for a flight in October 2006 which we canceled after we originally purchased a ticket on July 8, 2006. We are being told by Expedia.com that Virgin Atlantic will not allow them to grant this request even though Virgin Atlantic has a stated policy of “Force Majeure” (circumstances unusual and unforeseeable and beyond control) on its website, and Expedia.com representative stated they have an “extenuating circumstances” policy. To both Expedia.com and Virgin Atlantic I explained that I had sustained an injury that made me unable to fly in October 2006 and that I should qualify under these policies respectively. I was told by the Expedia.com representative, who talked to a Virgin Atlantic representative, that I must have declared the circumstance upon cancellation, and if I had done so that I would have been granted an extension that would have allowed me to use my credit for travel in October 2007. Since I was declaring the circumstance now in June 2007, Expedia.com told me that I was ineligible for an extension of time to use my credit. I explained that I received no notice that it was a requirement I must declare the circumstances upon cancellation. Virgin Atlantic does not have any notice on its website saying that in order to grant an extension circumstances must be declared upon cancellation. The Expedia.com representative could not answer me when I asked where on the Expedia.com website could I find the written notice telling me that circumstances must be declared upon cancellation. Expedia.com representative told me that I should have received terms and conditions on the tickets I purchased from them online. I told her that I had not. She then told me that the agent handling the cancellation should have informed me of this policy. I said that he had not. How would he know to ask or inform me of this specifically? What he did tell me was merely that the credit was “valid” until July 8, 2007 which was why I acted before July 8, 2007 to make my reservations again. He did not tell me that I must travel before July 8, 2007, and he did not inform me that I must declare any special circumstances to obtain an extension. The Expedia.com ticket says with regard to fare rules and restrictions: “We are sorry, we were not able to retrieve all the fare rules applicable to your itinerary... We have not received rules or restriction information for this flight.”

If I had been informed of these rules, or if I had access to them on the websites, or if they were explained in my ticket that would have constituted adequate notice. But I was not. Had it been communicated I would have declared my intent to travel in October 2007 and given the circumstances that supported my request.

This represents the results of 4 weeks of both phone calls and email communications to the airline. I'm out 1500 bucks and I can't wait to go to small claims court.