eHow / plagiarism

eHow.com allows their authors to plagiarize information from other websites. Read the [redacted]. Search for "[redacted]s eHow." You'll see a few!

Comments

• Co
      11th of May, 2009

HERE'S WHAT IS FILED ON [redacted] ABOUT EHOW'S PLAGIARISM.

I am a concerned consumer. I purchased a product, and then I found it being plagerised on eHow. I contacted the manufacturer of the product, and I contacted eHow. The manufacturer of the item told me the eHow article was not endorsed by them. I contacted eHow and never received a response.

Here's the story:

An Author on eHow.com has violated eHow's Rules and has copied a Trademarked and Patented item from the Internet. This is not allowed on eHow.com, so I sent eHow an email and asked them to remove the violated and plagiarised content. I never heard back from eHow.com so I am filing a [redacted].

eHow, you should NOT allow your authors to plagerise content from other websites!

The Author's pen name is "veryirie's." The name of the article is "How to Warm a Cold Hand." I contacted the author, and she was rude and ignored a request to remove the plagerised information.

veryirie's wrote an eHow article copying information from the inventor and manufacturer "IGMproducts.com." The product is available only through authorized resellers on eBay, Etsy, Amazon and through the manufacturer, IGMproducts. The instructions and pictures clearly illustrate plagiarism.

The eHow article is dated January 22, 2009. The item plagiarized was a patented product at the time the article was published on eHow. The item is also trademarked and can be confirmed through the USA Trademark Office.

Internet plagiarism is being approved & allowed by eHow. This is wrong. If a person takes ideas from another person or website, then that person or website should be listed as the source of the article's content. Or, prior permission to use the information should be received by eHow before publishing another person's content and ideas.

More should be done to investigate the plagiarism being allowed on eHow.com. It makes me think the website is a scam, and the authors are nothing more than plagiarists with too much time on their hands!

In all fairness to the manufacturer and the consumers who have purchased this item, I recommend the eHow article be removed or the manufacturer be named as a source of information.

• Go
      21st of May, 2009

To "concerned consumer" - and interested parties

Here's the other side of the above "story"...

I'm a writer for the website eHow.com with over 200 articles to my name. My pen name is veryirie.

A Janice, from Denver, Colorado filed a report #450253 on May 9, 2009 about an article I wrote for the website eHow.com, entitled, "How to Warm a Cold Mouse Hand".

The user is saying I plagiarized this company. In fact, the user goes on to say they contacted the manufacturer and this comapny informed her the eHow article was not endorsed by them.

Of course, it's not endorsed by them. I am NOT selling their product, or any product. I am explaining step by step (with my own original wording and pictures) how to make a mouse hand warmer.

I'm not COPYING anything! It's ironic because two of the Google ads on my article page are from the company the "concerned consumer" accuses me of plagiarizing! If anything, I'm driving more traffic to the company's website, plus the fact I'm educating people to the fact that there even is such a thing as a mouse hand warmer.

Here is a link to my article: http://www.ehow.com/how_4732149_warm-cold-mouse-hand.html

I'd also like to address the fact that the "concerned consumer" says I was rude. This person opened an eHow account specifically to leave rude, spam comments on my article which eHow's editors removed.
    Of course, I was angry. This whole thing is ridiculous and I find it irresponsible for any website to allow slanderous content such as this.

The "concerned consumer" requests that either I delete the article or name the company she's so concerned about. IF I named the company, in all fairness, I'd have to also list the other companies that make any product to warm a mouse hand plus the guys that make the hand warmer mouses. I cannot list just one company as that is considered spamming.

Neither myself nor eHow, have EVER been contacted by this company in any way, shape or fashion. I use the pen name veryirie on my personal blog http://veryirie.blogspot.com/ and on eHow.com where I have built up a very good reputation for quality writing.

I very much resent this unfounded, slanderous "report" by the "concerned consumer" and I appreciate your time in reading this.

10th of Apr, 2010

I think that there is plagiarism on eHow--I just don't know to what extent. One member (a friend of mine) had her very profitable article "swept" by eHow--which means is was removed. After that, her article (word for word) was presented as eHow of the Day--even using the original ideas she used. She had written an original article with ideas that she thought up for passwords. The "new" article even used her original examples that used relatives' names. Some people use software to scramble an article, then put it in a different form--which is a form of plagiarism because it takes someone else's ideas and words and shakes them around a little.

Let me say, that that is not what happened to my friend. It appeared that her original article was removed, then put back in exactly as it was by someone from eHow.