Economy Car Rentals / bait and switch
On Thursday, September 7, 2017 in preparation to evacuate Miami Beach prior to Hurricane Irma, we reserved a car from the website carrentals.com to be picked up at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood Airport on Friday, September 8, 2017 and dropped-off on Wednesday, September 13, 2017.
We pre-paid eighty dollars ($80.00) for an Economy Rent a Car with a daily rate of $9.50 for 5 days and the estimated tax and fees.
When we arrived at the Economy customer services desk, we were informed of the following:
1. Economy would not accept the insurance that American Express provides and for which we pay a premium. Although, we were not given the option at the time, we found out later that we could have given $1000 deposit to waive the fee. Additional Fee: $11.99 per day.
2. Economy charges for an additional driver, even though it was my husband of 40 years. Additional Fee: $15.00 a day.
3. Economy charges an upgrade fee to Florida residents who drive more than 100 miles per day. Additional Fee: $10.00 per day. This fee is not mentioned until after the order is placed online and given the evacuation order, we exceeded that mileage limit.
The final bill was $317.45 for the “privilege” of driving the Economy car out of harm’s way (Irma). We feel that Economy took advantage of the existing state of emergency.
More Economy Car Rentals Complaints & Reviews
- Economy Rent a Car - dishonesty in billing, lack of response 
- Economy Car Rental - dangerous rental car 
- Economycarrentals.com - do not use! 
- Economy Car Rentals - credit card chargeback and unauthorized debits
- Economy Car Rentals - excess charges
- Economy Car Rentals - renting a car in san jose costa rica
- Economy Car Rentals - I already paid deposit and I delayed 20 minutes in my flight and they told me my book was cancel
- Economy Car Rentals - super loss damage waiver fraud
- Economy Car Rentals - economy car rentals account number l802100, economy e-voucher number 3714604 and car rental provider confirmation number 36169786ca2
- Economy Rent a Car - dishonest charge for the damage