DriveTime / Dishonest: Bait and Switch tactics

1 502 Cobb ParkwayMarietta, GA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 7709192429

I had gone to DriveTime to co-sign for my brother. He had recently filed bankruptcy and was in need of a vehicle. DriveTime specializes in ripping off people with less than perfect credit. My brother picked out a 2006 Kia Spectra with 57000 miles on it. The car was priced at $12, 900. When I went the local Kia dealership website, I discovered that a brand new 2009 Kia Spectra would be $700 cheaper! My brother decided not to get the car.

Three weeks later they called us back. The car had been reduced! The salesperson showed him a paper that had the exact biweekly payment amount and the APR on it. My brother felt comfortable with payment and moved forward with the process.
When he sat down to sign the paperwork, the numbers had changed all of a sudden! When I asked the Finance Manager about it, he stated that there was a glitch in the system and that after signing all of the paperwork with the incorrect amounts on it, he would receive an updated coupon booklet in the mail that would reflect the terms that he was originally quoted! After the scam artist saw that he could not convince us to sign a legally binding contract that did not reflect what we had agreed to, he got the manager. The manager tried his best to keep the lie going about some type of lie about a computer glitch. I was highly insulted! We talk about predatory lending in housing but government needs to look into this as well. Stay away from Drive Time in any city!

Comments

• Li
      17th of Jul, 2009

Drive Time caters to people with bad credit. Typically, these people are desperate for a car, and are happy to get financed under any terms. 28% should be a crime, but if you've been a dead beat (not saying that this is your case), you're a huge risk for defaulting on the loan. Moral of the story, take care of your credit score, and you won't have these types of issues.

• Da
      2nd of Aug, 2009

America is a free country.

And we love it !

I think drivetime has a great business model.
    Wish I would have had that idea and be filthy rich now.

If this was my business, I would charge at least 50%.

$ katsching $

• Sw
      7th of Oct, 2009

OMG the same thing just happened to me and my husband this weekend...we have been looking for an SUV...we told them upfront we had $1200 for a downpayment...so saturday they call my husband and tell him they have a 2003 Trail Blazer for $12oo down but it is in sanford..so my husband and the carsales man go to snaford to pick it up...bring it back to Orlando...THEN after 4 hrs in there...being told everything was good we were gfoin home with it...we had to have a co-signer...we do that go in yesterday (Tues) with the $1200 and a cosigner then the manager tells us...there was a prob a glitch in the system...that the downpayment was actually $1700... I'm like r u kidding me???? Now this is a 7 yr old car...SEVEN!!! what the hell is goin on here...to the guy that is calling ppl deadbeats...c'mon dude u dont know everyones situation...bad things happen to GOOD ppl...!! And to take advantage of someone just because they have had some bad luck Is MORALY WRONG!!! Its heartbreaking. because we r good ppl...that have had some bad luck some really bad luck and this economy isnt helping any...And I so agree DO NOT go to Drive Time anywhere in this country... C'mon a glitch in the system we have had bad luck but we r NOT stupid!!!

• Sg
      10th of Jul, 2010

@sweetnita

"c'mon dude u don't know everyones situation...bad things happen to GOOD ppl...!!" I would quote further, but I can't stand to read, copy, or post more of your grammar.

The above quote should have said " OK. I understand your opinion of this business model, but you are neglecting the possibility of someone having a streak of bad luck" Even this quote is grammatically ridiculous. I'm unable to make your words sound any better. Your complete and utter lack of grammatical skills bother me.

ANYWAY...

Buy here, pay here lending is based off of a risk/reward system.
    Risk: you, the person with bad credit that never pays their debts.
    Reward: money maid off of interest charged to you. Usually, as high as legally possible.

Would you lend money to someone that never pays people back? Quit being so damn stupid. You have nothing to complain about. These [censor] cars beat walking.