Dr. Eskender Getachew

4.1
University Neurology and Sleep Medicine
9039 Antares Avenue
Columbus, Ohio
I was referred to Dr. Getachew after a ruptured brain aneurysm, for which I had had multiple surgeries. I had my doubts about him from the beginning, but I figured that he was just a doctor, someone from whom I could get my anti-seizure prescriptions. Then I decided to apply for disability. I asked the doctor if he would back me up on the application. This man also facies himself a sleep specialist, and his answer was that if I would take a sleep test, he would back me on the claim. Of course, the sleep test was scheduled in HIS sleep clinic, 100 miles from my home, and it involved spending two nights there. Needless to say, his staff decided that I had sleep apnea, and put me on a C-PAP machine. Then, when I got the disability application form back from him, he had marked that I was NOT disabled! I felt he had blackmailed into the sleep test, because he wanted to suck every penny out of my pocket that he possibly could. In addition to all that, I requested my medical records, because I had decided to go to a new neurologist. When I read through the records, I was flabbergasted! He invented symptoms that backed up his diagnosis of sleep apnea and sleep deprivation, and completely ignored the symptoms associated with the aftereffects of the aneurysm. He never mentioned my dizziness and loss of memory, but he wrote that I claimed I woke up in the night choking and gasping for air (which was absolutely not true!). All in all, I would recommend that potential patients avoid this man like the plague! He is unethical, a liar, and an incompetent doctor.
Complaint comments Comments (8)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Doctors

Comments

A  4th of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
I couldn't agree with you more! Do not go see this doctor! I went in for low back pain related to a work injury and he suggested I get a sleep study and a EEG test. First of all, my sleep is just fine and the problem is with my back and not my head! I think he just wanted to get all the money he could for me. I also had a friend who saw him that had a EEG test done and the lady who performed the test was very unprofessional and didn't seem to know what she was doing. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THIS DOCTOR! I think he is a scam and just wants your money!!
N  22nd of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
I am SO glad I checked out this Board! I "called" the doctor on this very thing (which the two people above stated re: the Sleep Lab) and he DENIED it! I went ti see him with symptoms totally unrelated to sleep! I don't have any problems with my sleep! He practically insisted I go to HIS sleep lab! He said "you have insurance, right?" I asked him if he sent all of his patients to the sleep lab. He was visibly uncomfortable when I posed that question to him. He tried to laugh it off. This wasn't the first time he tried to push the sleep lab on me. If more people would speak up, they--and their insurance companies--wouldn't be taken advantage of! Basically, the doctor would not treat me for my condition unless I agreed to undergo the sleep lab. I left. Without making the sleep lab appointment. Ridiculous!
D  5th of May, 2011 by    0 Votes
These people must not gone to get medical care. They went to see him with different motives ( such as getting disability and live on tax payers money ) . Do not care about my comments
Check out other people experience!!!
Mrs
Dr Getachew has really made my daughter's life bearable. He is superb in both professionalism and bedside manner. He takes time with her and has given her selfesteem that she needed to face her epilepsy. He is great as far as we are concerned and would recommend him 100% for a caring and knowledgeable physician. February 09, 2011

Very compassionate doctor
I was very impressed with not only the warm welcome that I received from the staff, but their attention to detail and caring professional attitude. I would highly recommend Dr. Getachew as he is both sincere and extremely knowledgeable. What a blessing it was for me to find him.

Read more: http://www.vitals.com/ratings/Dr_Eskender_Getachew.html#ixzz1LRgJ1oN9
D  23rd of Dec, 2011 by    0 Votes
I also went to see him for neurology and he recommended I have a sleep study. I too found this confusing because I thought my sleep was fine. The staff at the lab were very pleasant and very informative. The wires were pretty uncomfortable and took me a while to get to sleep but in the morning they told me I had sleep apnea. The tech took me back into the room where they sat and showed me my breathing during the night. It was scary I would stop breathing for over 25 seconds on a frequent basis in my dream sleep. They also put me on a CPAP machine which is probably one of the most uncomfortable things to get used to but definitely worth it. I cant even explain the difference in my energy level. I also had an EEG done and I had a little bit of a wait before the lady came in but she was very nice. He can be kind of hard to understand with his thick accent but I'm very glad I found him.
A  23rd of Apr, 2013 by    0 Votes
Wow, I had a bad experience with him in 2009. He diagnosed me with sleep apnea and narcolepsy (I agree with both of those diagnosis). However, I had a bad reaction to one of the medications he gave to me. He kept denying it was the medication and had me continue to take it. I ended up losing my job and it took 6 months for the symptoms to go away. It was a pharmacy INTERN who finally confirmed to me that it was the medication. This doc is supposed to be a pharmacologist, neurologist, sleep specialist, etc., but I think he's incompetent as well. I actually just found this complaint site when I was looking for his contact information as I am scheduled to see a new sleep doc soon.
N  7th of May, 2015 by    0 Votes
Diagnosed in 1997 with sleep apnea and followed with the same physician until 2010. Due to the demise of my physician in 2010, I was transferred to the practice of Eskender Getachew. Dr. Getachew continued with my medical care in a straight forward manner and has continued to educate me in my plethora of serious medical conditions. Dr. Getachew documented narcolepsy and under his watchful eye, my quality of life and social interactions has improved greatly! He has gained my confidence and trust. I have no complaints with Dr. Getachew and would recommend him to family and friends.
N  21st of Mar, 2017 by    +1 Votes
Hi is the worst doctor I have ever meet don't even to go there. He is so resist and like money his coworker tell me that he stole money from church and every body desgest him.
N  21st of Apr, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Teshome Aside from some of these comments being slander and liable I find it interesting that none of the folks who were displeased with the Doctors treatment protocols ever mention that they got better by not following his advice. It seems to be much whining because they did not get what they wanted. BE VERY CAREFUL LISTENING TO OR PUTTING MUCH CREED TO PEOPLES OPINING WHO WILL NOT LEAVE THEIR REAL NAMES. Dr. Getachew is a very real, caring human being who does his absolute best to help each and every individual who walks into his practice. He will not however aid and abet folks who are trying to scam the system and claim disability where there is none! I work at the Polaris office and invite the 3-4 folks above to come back into the office and make the claims they have cowardly posted on this site so we can set them strait! More importantly, come sign a release so we can forward your files to the Welfare Office.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree