Di Diamonds International / Crown Of Light / scam and fraud company

1 38 west 48th streetNew York, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 212-764-6900

On april 1 2009, we were on a cruise on the carnival mircel. From ft. Lauderdale to st maarten and during all this time we heard he super shopper neal. Touting di diamonds international 38 west 48th st. New york, n.Y. 10038, with stores on all of the islands. Neal said di was an extremely reputable company who had a diamond that no one else had, and on and on.
When we arrived in st. Maarten my girlfriend and I went to the store located in wathey square, phillipsburg. We were waited on by a salesman named heeman. We told him we wanted to look at the crown of light diamonds. After we spent at least two hours looking at the various stones, heeman started his sales pitch, but I advised him we could not see our way to buy a ring for a year at least. He said "you need a year?" I reiterated, a year at least. He said let me talk to my manager. He returned in about ten minutes with a man named david, who introduced himself as the manager. He asked if I needed a year, I said I did. Mhe said he would check with his boss and new york and see if we could get no payments or interest for one year. David was gone for about 20 minutes and when he returned he said "good news, I got you approved for no payments and no interest for one year. I asked again we pay no money at all for one year and he said"yes"no money or payments at all for one year. Based on this we bought a 1.2 carat crown of light diamond for $14454 including the setting.

On may 1, 2009, we received a credit card bill in the mail, from di diamonds international saying a minimum payment of $438.00 is due by 5/21/09. We have called the store in st. Maarten, the headquarters in new york, customer service, with no result other than" you should have read the little yellow paper you signed (5x7), I said why would it be necessary to read anything since we spent 3.5 hours negotiating a deal and we believed di was ethical and honest and would honor the deal they agreed to. Wrong. Di diamonds international are one step below used car salesmen and do not deserve to be in business scamming the public.

Frank gordon

Comments

• Co
      11th of May, 2009

"I said why would it be necessary to read anything since we spent 3.5 hours negotiating a deal..."

You're joking right?

• Mo
      22nd of Jan, 2010

... the light is on, but there's NO ONE home...

• Ni
      27th of Jul, 2010

The quote on top is indeed pretty redicilous...
    We actually had a good experience with Diamonds International on our last cruise. Our friend is a jeweler so we could assure we are getting a good deal and so we did.

17th of Sep, 2010

I totally agree! They are paid byt he cruise ships to promote them.

• Qu
      5th of Oct, 2010

Frank,

I am sorry but "commonsense" is very right. So though without knowing color or clarity chances are you paid about 35-45% too much for a "proprietary cut" then you signed up for a what was it 26-29% revolving charge loan? I hate to say it but they saw you coming. Learn from this!
    1. Always read the receipt and all the fine print in the contract.
    2. When a company/person the super shopper is promoting something like they do always be aware there is something in it for them.
    3. You bought a non standard cut which is therefore worth much less than a standard cut.

• Ka
      19th of Feb, 2011

My husband and I went on a Carnival cruise in September. Gary, spoke very highly of DI as well. We purchased two rings at DI, in Belize. We financed and were told "one year". When we received our bill, it seems that "one year" turned into 6 months.

• Mo
      22nd of Feb, 2011

I just got back from a cruise that stopped in St Thomas. I purchased a 0.71ct crown of light diamond from DI. I had it appraised and it was valued at $1500 more than I paid. The money back guarantee only covers a 2 grade variance from what is stated, not for overpaying on the appraised value. It is definitely not true "a non standard cut is worth much less than a standard cut." Jewellers and some appraisers tell you that because they want your business to stay at home, and DI has exclusive rights to the Crown of Light. I am pleased with my purchase and even the appraiser said it was good value. Always it is buyer be ware, and let's face it if you have to a diamond over a year should you be buying it in the first place. Choose one that fits in your budget and buy it on your credit card that can be paid off in one month.

• Re
      7th of Mar, 2011

This is rediculous... Frank you should be ashamed of yourself for being in a jewelry store for two hours before you even began the negotiation process. why would you even dare walk into a jewelry store if you wernt seriously contemplating/researching buying something and after wasting 2 hours of this poor mans day your going to tell him you aren't buying for a year?! Of course he's going to try and close the deal you just made him loose like 20 saleas and his manager is probably looking at him like "All this time your spending with this guest you better get the sale". Also for those of you that don't know if a guest is showing signs that they're not going to buy from the sales rep it is MANDATORY for them to bring someone else into the sale to attempt to close the sale. It is arrogant for the sales person to think they've done Everything for the guest and deny the others associates the opportunity to nmake the sale happen. If you are offened by this process you shouldn't be there! High end jewelry places are not places to (browse) especially if your broke and if your there just for the experience (like going to tiffany's) let the sales person know that upfront and don't be upset if they ignore you for a more serious and qualified guest. These people have goals to make and bills to pay and it is indulgent of you to think that they should not try they're hardest to sell you something. However, I do agree that they should not LIE to you to make a sale. that being said in my 13 years in retail i have NEVER heard of a place that will loan 15000 with NO INTEREST and NO PAYMENTS. There is ALWAYS payments the just won't penalize you (interest) for borrowing their money if you make your payments on time. The rep did EVERYTRHING right except make sure you were clear on that part. Most people misunderstand the payment part though it's mentioned because they hear what they want to hear and regardless you had to give him ALL your personal info to have them see if you prequailfied in the first place which in 3.5 hrs is plenty of time to have the doc and ask questions. it was perfectly legit and wit 438 a mo you actually got off easy...gopd for them.

• Sc
      17th of Jan, 2014

My wife and I just came back from a cruise and we purchased a Hublot watch ($10, 400) and a very nice ring ($17, 000). I am very satisfied with my watch and I have checked price on it and, while it's not a steal, it did save me a few hudred dollars. The ring is made of white gold and it seems to iritate my wife's finger. DI's customer service dept. is working with us to return the ring now. From what I have read about negative complaints, they all sound like they were begging to get taken advantage of. Welcome to the real world!!! It's your money and make sure that you can afford any purchases and make sure that you read any contracts...

• Li
      24th of May, 2017

I took a Carnival Cruise with a friend on May 7th -14 2017.
    This ship (The Breeze) was scheduled for Jamaica, Grand Caymans & Cozumel. We had someone who needed medical attention, so the Ship had to turn around and we went to Cozumel. After dropping off passenger, the ship had to be rerouted. We never got to go to Jamaica. The last stop was back in Cozumel. The Ship does a lot of advertising and DIamonds International was one. We finally got off Ship in Cozumel. Yes, We were scammed. The pressure was extreme and before you knew it, I was out a lot of money. After returning I started the calling and the same stories there is nothing we can do. It's not over, I am now speaking to a Attorney. This is a SCAM!! Be Ware of DI. And Don't Buy From This Company. SCAM!!

• Li
      24th of May, 2017

The Biggest SCAM! Ever, Don't Buy ! Talk to the Cruise Ship! Report this Company.