Debt Settlement USA / fraud

1 Review updated:

I also regrettably got sucked into their debt settlement program in 2006 . I paid over $14, 000.00 in upfront fees. I settled 3 accounts on my own. They settled four. I am still fighting to get a refund of my money. Thus far, I have been trying to get the Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox to help me, but it doesn't seem like he has done much - simply sends my letters on to DSUSA and then sends me their replies.

I only had one negotiator (Carla Cannon) who seemed to try to actually settle accounts. I can't remember how many different negotiators they would give me. Always someone new who did not know anything about my situation. Very, very frustrating and what a painful experience this has been.

I also filed a complaint with the BBB. I guest I need to go back on their website to see if they have done anything. I know that there are tons of complaints filed with them against Debt Settlement USA.

I am so glad I discovered this website while searching for information to send to they Michigan Attorney General. Thanks.

Comments

•   Oct 26, 2010

Have you been ripped off by a Debt Settlement USA?

It's never too late to demand your money back from a debt settlement company. DebtSettlementRefund.com aggressively works with Consumers in all 50 states to help recover the exorbitant fees typically charged by debt settlement companies. Call us today [protected]

Why is debt settlement a scam?

Debt settlement is usually a scam because the fees (typically 15%-20% of the total debt) are paid out as front-loaded commissions. Think about it. If all of your money is going to pay commissions, there is very little money accumulating to negotiate with. A recent FTC study showed that more than 80% of the people who enrolled in debt settlement programs never negotiated even 1 debt.