CPS / did not identify themselves

1 po box 782405San Antonio, TX, United States Review updated:
Phone: 877-277-1775

REceived a phone call from a man who wanted me to give him 511.00 over the phone. When I asked for verification of the debt he refused and said it would be put on my credit report. I said if I owed the debt I would be happy to pay $100 a month until paid however he had to verify for me who he was due to identify theft he proceeded to hang up. I had asked for address/website and wanted to know who they were and where they were located and he refused. I then waited a week and called back got the same man who hung up on me and would not verify the info. I then called back and pusht he prompt for address and fax number got a lady who gave me an address and a reference number. I explained that whomever was calling me was not being cooperative and kept hanigng up and due to identify theft I was not about to give some stranger my credit card number over the phone.

Dc
May 9, 2013

Comments

• Th
      10th of May, 2013

You are playing too nice with dangerous snakes. Stop it. These are pro'ly one of those Indian debt collection scams.

First never EVER! agree, acknowledge a debt even if you owe with VOD - validation of debt.

Second if they are legit collectors once you told them to validate the debt they should cease collection efforts by law until they can send you stuff in mail that proves you owe the debt.

You don't have to call anybody back or nothing. You simply state send me debt verification by mail. If they ask you to confirm your details say nothing but send it to the information you have on file. And get off the phone.

Validation should be the original contract with your signature on it, all account transactions, including proof that they own the debt and are authorized to collect and/or permission from original creditor assigning the debt to them to collect etc. Nothing short of all that. You can read more on this procedure at debtorboards.com.

Read up on your rights as a debtor, SOL, FDCPA, FCRA, what do do when contacted by a debt collector, etc

• Th
      10th of May, 2013

BTW if they fail to ID themselves that's a violation of federal law and if you can prove it they can pay you up to $1000 per violation. So record all calls. You live in Texas - it's one party state meaning only one person needs to know the call is being recorded. You don't need the other person's permission to do so. The many violations you can prove the steeper the fine. Then sue them pro se to or get a consumer attorney. Some work on contingency basis and are paid by the defendant.

• Al
      17th of May, 2013

Too true thisman! Snakes they are! Any collection agency who refuses to validate what they claim is bad news! The best way to deal with them is to separate yourself from them as soon as possible! ALWAYS request VOD (in writing) right off the bat. Never disclose anything. ALWAYS make a collection agency prove EVERYTHING they claim. Thisman is right about recording your calls too! Recording your calls with them is an easy way to rack up violations. If they don't know they are being recorded (you don't have to tell the you are) they frequently violate the law on every call. Why do they do this? It's their normal business practice! All they care about is separating you from your hard earned money...by any means they can in a lot of cases. Suing them for violations sends them the message that it's no longer cost effective to pursue you and they will move on to easier targets. Snakes indeed!

FYI..One of the things I ask for in my VOD requests is proof that said debt collector has the legal standing to demand money from me.