Cope & McPhetres Marine / Cash Rewards Fraud/Scam

1 Rocklin, CA, United States Review updated:

We were told when we purchased a boat from Cope & McPhetres Marine in Rocklin, CA we would get a $5, 000.00 cash reward. Per the cash reward certificate we needed to wait 36 months and follow the criteria of the Cash Rewards Certificate. To the day we sent in the requested information only to get it back in the mail stamped that the PO Box was closed. We purchased this boat in good faith that they would honor this promotion, currently we are unable to get ahold of anyone from Cope & McPhetres Marine. This was fraud and they knew it at the time we purchased the boat, we are looking for anyone that may have some information and is in the same position as we are.

Comments

• Lz
      24th of Feb, 2010

I too was duped by Cope & McPheters for $10, 000 It is my understanding that Cope & Mcpheters knowling did not pay the Cash Rewards Inc. their portion of the refund. Cash rewards inc. has filed for bankruptcy you can contact the trustee office at 972-938-7334 they are very helpful. The end result is we will never see our refund. I am planning on going after Cope and Mcpheters as they were in part the reason Cash rewards filled for BK

• Ca
      2nd of Mar, 2010

We had the exact same experience - we are out 10, 000.00!!! Everyone in this scam is out of business.
    Cope & McPhetres Boat
    Cash Rewards, Inc

The worst of it is that Cope & McPhetres Boat did not pay Cash Rewards so we need to go after Cope & McPhetres Boat to get anything for this. How do we do that?

• Rc
      15th of Apr, 2010

We purchased our boat from the Portland, Or Mastercraft dealership and also did not receive our rebate. They did not let us know we may not get the money until we were signing the final papers. We are out $5000. Our claim from the cash rewards inc was denied because we did not have a current bank statement becuase we had paid the boat off. We will buy a Nautique next time!

• El
      19th of Apr, 2010

We just had the envelope returned REFUSED when we sent it to the PO Box! I have been looking all over for other people who have had the same problem!!! Ours was 10, 000 and it was from Ultimate Watersports in San Jose, CA - which, of course, is also out of business.
    My friends looked at that envelope every day for 3 years.. got a birth certificate, the WORKS. They AGONIZED over all the fine print making sure that all the information was there...
    Does anyone have any idea how to become part of a lawsuit against these people?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Ellen

• Fr
      13th of May, 2010

Today I redceived my Registered and Certified packet back as undeliverable ! We were promised a $2000 rebate with the purchase of the Tracker fishing boat.
    We purchased the boat from Cope & Mcphetes in Rocklin CA - guess what they are no longer there . Why couldn't we all talk to an attorney and see if we could file a Class Action lawsuit againts the boat dealers and Cash rewards.
    Regards,
    Frank

• Sk
      6th of Jul, 2010

Has anyone figured out what to do about this...as I am in th same boat...no pun intended...

• Gc
      8th of Jul, 2010

I and my husband were also taken for the 10, 000. cash reward --I found that they have a boat company in Branson Mo-Listed as Cope Marine ---It makes you feel so helpless and angry---I wish we could file a class action suit---We would be there

• Ka
      11th of Aug, 2010

We were suppose to get back 5000.00 after 3 years and our envelope is being returned also refused. Our Boat dealer is also gone out of business. I think we need to file paper work with the Attorney General in California, Ohio and Missouri. All so did to do a class action law suit.
    hayhun@Sebastiancorp.net

• Ka
      11th of Aug, 2010

I was told the Company is now going under Archway at 20770 Westwood Drive, Strongsvill, Ohio 44149

• Wa
      12th of Aug, 2010

We're in the same boat, pun intended - as most of you. The case against Cash Rewards is not only in progress in the Court systems of Texas, but also in California. I can also inform you that the FBI is now involved.

It's only getting bigger and bleaker for this bozo.

• Pi
      19th of Aug, 2010

Okay, after getting all my ducks in a row I went on line to check on this cash rewards program and guess what I discovered? Yep, this program is a scam. What a disappointment! Well at least I saved a couple of dollars by not mailing in my "ducks in a row". I do plan to call the trustee in Dallas, Texas that is handling this scam, but I'm sure it will be as affective as "spitting into the wind".

• Da
      26th of Sep, 2010

WE are reaching our deadline to send our Rewards certificate in next week. We have been looking forward to receiving the $10k we were promised. The whole reason our family bought this boat at a boat show in Alameda, CA. Please keep posting information as it becomes available. jessicat@napanet.net

• Ul
      27th of Dec, 2010

I also was duped by Ultimate Watersports in Fairfield. I sent in everything, and got nothing except my packet returned to me as undeliverable. Had I know this, I never would have spent that kind of money on my Malibu.I hope we all get our money someday, or I hope the responsible partys get some SERIOUS FEDERAL PRISON TIME> They are thieves.

• Li
      25th of Jan, 2011

We purchased our Cash Rewards certificate in January, 2006, when we sold our home. Our certificate was purchased through the RE firm that sold our home (they are still in business). Like many of you, we dotted every i and crossed EVERY t and made sure we filed on time WITH every bit of required documentation. NOTHING!!! We then began with the phone calls, the emails, the letters. STILL NOTHING! We have since filed with the Attorney General's office in Ohio (where rewards certificate/documentation were sent) who referred us to the Attorney General in our state of residence who further referred us the Texas Attorney General where things came to a halt. SO FRUSTRATING! A Class Action Suit needs to be filed!

• Mw
      30th of Mar, 2011

I have just read all these complaints and some of you folks are out allot more than I am. These jerks promised me 3, 000 at the end of 36 mo. I read here that some folks want to sue, who are you going to sue? who has any money? the two crooks probably had this all planned for some time and have covered their back sides real good. Anyway if someone finds some way to ... well, even things up, let me know I'm in.

• Ru
      15th of May, 2011

As a result of having our Cash Reward packet returned yesterday, I started to research why the "Addresse is Unknown". This is how I found all of you - looks like my wife and I are not alone. I'm so pissed...As many of you have stated, we did business with Cope & McPhetres because there was a level of trust - It's hard to believe they ripped us all off. We plan to contact the holding company on Monday - does anyone have an update on any class-action lawsuits, complaints filed with California/Ohio attorney's office, or suits filled directly against Cope & McPhetres Marine? We need to stick together and fight this.

• Du
      30th of Sep, 2011

Lots of places were using this service to promote Boat sales. The quick summary is you buy the boat from X company and then in 3 years CRI would send $10k check to you. after sending in all the magic paperwork.Basically using it as a seller's tool to motivate sales.

The guy running Cash Rewards, David Meloy, of Coppell, Texas has just pled guilty of 1 count of mail fraud, which carries a max penalty of 20 years in Federal Prison.

Those of you that didn't already know this, or were victims of this can contact the US Attorney's Office, Eastern District at (703) 299-3700 and let them know you were a victim too.

This bozo was using the money to fund his lifestyle, buy cars, jewelry and other crap.

For what it's worth, anyone who bought a boat with this incentive after May 2006, NEVER got paid. So companies that were selling boats with this service after that, are borderline fraudulent, since no one got paid after claims were made. Ask yourselves if Cope KNEW people weren't being paid and yet continued with the CRI program!

Links [URL="http://www.fbi.gov/washingtondc/press-releases/2011/owner-of-cash-rewards-inc.-accused-of-7-million-fraud"]here[/URL] and [URL="http://www.justice.gov/usao/vae/victimwitness/davidmaloy.html"]here[/URL]

• Wt
      29th of Nov, 2011

We had the same thing happen to us. We bought the Mastercraft in Wisconsin. Unfortunately we had to pay in $1500 up front to even participate so not only do we not get the $10, 000, we actually paid MORE money for the boat than the dealer wanted just to 'opt in'. Did all of you have to pay in to start the rebate plan or are you just not getting the rebate incentive? I plan to further research this and possibly even hire local legal help to get to the bottom of what we should be doing next.

• Wa
      15th of Jan, 2012

I worked at Cope and Mcpheters and can tell you they treated their employees about the same, the only good thing that happen was when I was layed off as the manager Dole Henderson and Sales Manager Mike Mello wanted to have all their friends work together and would have and "All star team". I was very upset with bills to pay and so on, but found another job and went to look at how my old "friends" were and how they plan worked out; to find the placed closed and all there butts somewhere eles. Frank and Bob Cope are jerks and Phil the general manager as no idea how to run a company or deal with problems of any kind. I feel terrible you folks lost out of some real money but when old man Cope let his fools sons take over, things went from great to terrilbe and look who has to hold the bag? you people. Now if I were you people I would look up Bob or Frank Cope, call them at home and get the money you should have in the first place. I hate to say it but seeing all the guys who looked at me when I was crushed from eing laided off but are not working in different places, so much for the "All star Team" wouldn't you way MIke and Dole?

• Em
      26th of Jan, 2012

I would love to do a class action suit against them, we wont get a cent from David Malloy with Cash Rewards. We are on the class action /bankruptcy with him, and he is sentenced March 26 2012. We are out 10k for the reward - had put 7k down on our boat and paid MSRP since Ultimate Watersports in San Jose. Just like the other folks here we wouldnt have paid retail had we not been promised the rebate AND SHOWN PICTURES of the happy folks with their checks by Ultimate.