Compass Bank / nsf fees!

1 Birmingham, AL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-800-266-7277

I have been banking with Compass Bank for almost 8 years. I have been hit with over $500 dollars in insufficient fund fees in a 1 month period. I racked up $152 dollars in NSF fees before I received a phone call from Compass Bank customer service. Unfortunately for me I was out of town at the time the call came. Before I left town I deposited my pay check. After receiving 4 NSF fees on my account I was NOT even informed by the teller that my account was already in the negative. Now to make things worse even after depositing my check I continued to rack up hundreds of dollars in NSF fees. So to add insult to injury if your account is in the negative for 6 consecutive days an extended overdraft fee of $38 dollars is imposed. On the 7th calendar day my account remained overdrawn and therefore Compass imposed an additional $7 for each additional day it was overdrawn. This is absolutely RIDICULOUS. When I contacted customer service about my situation they only refunded back to my account $76. Please keep in mind that they ripped me off for over $500 dollars. DO NOT BANK WITH COMPASS IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE RIPPED OFF! COMPASS BANK SUCKS!

Comments

• Ge
      17th of May, 2008

Compass Bank is very bad with Non sufficient fees. Infact, when I talked to the manager of the bank, they told me that the bank makes a lot of money with NsF fees and that is keeping the bank going. How pathetic to know that the bank survives on NSF fees.

• Bf
      23rd of Sep, 2008

This all to familiar having the same problem with Compass Bank i watch my account pretty close and was in the branch this morning taking care of a NSF fee but the teller did not tell me there was a big snowball behind it i had another NSF waiting behind it and it did not show up on MyCompass PC until i got home they have done this 3 times this week and i am not normally a NSF regular but when you ask the teller "So now my account is good now no more fees waiting "? She said YES it is fine but like i said about an hour after igot home i get a recording that i did not get for the last 2 NSF but today i do after i was told my account was OK but its red again They sure do have a big lapse in time to deposit your money but when it comes to them getting there its taken it in my opinion way before it should be. FYI Did you know that COMPASS BANK IS OWNED BY SPAIN! Something to think about

• Vi
      2nd of Oct, 2008

I am glad I am not alone. I have experienced the same problem with Compass bank. I watched my accountlike a hawk and monitored it online. I went to the branch to verify my available balance verses my pending transactions. I withdrew money and left enough to cover any pending checks. At 9:00 am I checked my balance and it showed a $10 positive balance. I knew all checks had cleared and I had nothing pending. At 1:00pm I went to make a cash deposit to my account and there I found I was -$103.00. I went to speak to the manager and they told me that a check I had written on Thursday had cleared but because I wrote the check on Thursday and my balance was less than the check on Thursday, my account went into overdraft. Even though I put the money in the bank on Friday to cover the check. Now they have taken my whole paycheck from my part time job. It is virtually impossible to balance your account with Compass bank.

• Ya
      12th of Nov, 2008

One bit of advise, since Compass is a NSF fee hawk, you need to make sure that you do not let the account drop below a certain amount say 100.00 dollars. It is also advisable to try to maintain at least one paycheck worth in the account because their deposit and withdrawal policies are more than just bizarre they are dubious. I am just with them until I clear something up with BofA and then I will go back to BofA. I find it hard to believe that a bank will post a deposit at the end the transaction chain just to get fees. Really bad business practice.

• Wo
      30th of Jul, 2010

I agree that Compass is very deceptive in their online banking and have very poor customer service. We are closing our account and moving to Chase. All please forward your complaints/situations to the FDIC and Federal Reserve Consumer Help. Both can be contacted online or by phone.

• Gr
      1st of Oct, 2010

My situation is a little different but just as bad. A compass customer service person told me I had $1000 in overdraft protection and could overdraft up to that amount & be charged NO FEES. I signed up for that protection. Who wouldn't? Several weeks later I needed to pay a bill & therefore overdraft my account by about $200 - I knew it wan't a problem because I had the $1000 protection. I called custermer service & they refused to consider refunding the $304 in NSF fees. They said I just misunderstood the rules on overdraft. The fact is the cust. serv. guy got side-tracked when he explain overdraft protection & told me the would be NO FEES to uverdraft up to $1000. FYI: After getting no satisfaction with Compass cust serv., please get in touch with your state's banking commision in your capital. They will address it since compass rwfuses to make things good. My case is pending (just happend yesterday). MAIN POINT: DO NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER WHEN COMPASS SAYS THE WON'T FIX SOMETHING!!!