Chevron Texaco / billing scam

Houston, TX, United States Review updated:
I have been a customer of Chevron Texaco products forever until: I received a recent billing indicating a late payment charge on a payment that had been mailed at least three days before the due date---and due to either the US Mails or Chev-Tex, was not received until two days after the due date.

The late payment charge was not the amount that the terms of service agreement provided, but five times more. In addition, I was charged interest on the amount supposedly paid late.

Chev-Tex accounting agreed to give me a credit for the late charge, recognizing that its late receipt was not my fault. However, it demanded that I pay the full amount, including the late charge and interest, and it would credit the late charge on a later billing. The interest, it said, "can never be credited"---even though there was, by its admission, no late payment.

Chev-Tex must be encountering financial problems because it has started charging a "report delivery" fee for its bill (!), it has shortened the time to pay, and it engages in illegal billing practices.

I got no relief from Chev-Tex. So, it has lost a customer of its products forever. It will have to hold the credit to which I am admittedly entitled forever, since I will not buy its products again.

Comments

Js
  16th of Jan, 2009
I have been in dispute over unauthorized billing for a prescription plan billed on my Chevron account since 1996. (12 years at $49.00 per year!)

Chevron states that the prescription service needs to credit my account, the service has no idea who I am and states they can't reverse billing they never initiated.

In November we had a $10.00, yes TEN dollar balance and the statement date and was 5 days after the due date. When contacted by phone they said wait for the next statement it's a computer problem - don't worry. That 'don't worry' should have been a clue. When the next statement arrived there was a 25.oo fee, an interest charge of 4.45 in addition to another annual billing of 49.o0 for a prescription plan we never authorized or used all billed the day after the 'don't worry' respose.

In Dec. they agreed to credit the fees and the prescription charges for the past 2 years at this time. When advised to close this account they stated to credit all of these charges we must keep this 31 year old account that has never had a late payment or we would not get credits as they don't issue refunds. Now another month goes by, no credits posted, no charges, zero balance and yet a 25.00 fee!

I called Chevrons exec office in California to be told they have NO CONTROL over the credit service as they are a vendor! As of today, we are still waiting for credit, if we don't use the card we're billed, if we close the account they won't give back $ they stole from me.

Meanwhile :
1) Oil companies are receiving govt monies
2) Bilking consumers of monies
3) Credit contractors have filed for bank status andreceived bailout monies
4) Over and unauthorized charges blackmail (if you don't pay they trash your credit rating)

Finally I filed complaint with my states insurance commission, consumer protection bureau and the State attorney. Chevron's corp offices called to say they if we drop the complaints they would refund the money. More blackmail! Refund my money, then I'll drop the complaints!
Just more corp greed and consumer blackmail!
De
  6th of Jun, 2009
It is currently 11:45 pm on Friday, June 5, 2009. I have a payment due on my Chevron credit card on Saturday, June 6, 2009. Imagine my surprise just now when I logged on to pay the account and (even though it is STILL June 5 and the payment isn't due until tomorrow) there is a $25.00 late fee on my account. !!!

Looking back through my records, the exact same thing happened in August of 2008. And unlike previous poster JS Claus, our payment was not mailed, it was paid ONLINE with a printed receipt showing it paid prior to the due date. The August 2008 payment was made online at 5:00 in the morning on the ACTUAL due date (a Wednesday, so not ever over a weekend). In my complaint to Chevron I stated that my payment was made long before the end of business on the due date/day no matter where in the United States they or I am located. But their response was as follows:

"Our records indicate that the payment in question was applied to your account on August 7, 2008 ... As this payment was received after the payment due date [of August 6, 2008], a late fee has been added to your account and a monthly billing statement has been generated. ... However, in the interest of customer service and goodwill, we will credit your account for any late fees that are assessed. ...

I have no control over when they PROCESS the payment, yet they were working "with" me "in the interest of customer service and goodwill ..." !!!

I would add that we have been credit customers with Chevron for at least 20 years, have always paid our bill on time and, with very few exceptions, have paid the bill in full, without carrying a balance from month to month. I let it go after getting the late fee removed last August. But since this has happened again, but worse this time as the payment was made the DAY BEFORE the due date and the account already shows a late fee assessed, I am sensing something shady going on. I plan to go back over all the statements I have kept with a fine tooth comb and filing whatever complaints with whatever agencies I can to stop this practice.

A screenshot made tonight when I discovered the late fee being assessed in advance of the due date is attached. It clearly shows it to be 11:34 pm on Friday (although it doesn't show the date, trust me, it was moments ago), with a late fee having been posted on 06/06/2009 in the amount of $25.00.
Jp
  14th of Apr, 2011
I was also a long term customer until I figured out I was getting ripped off w/ late fee and interest. Chevron is running a scam by shortening their billing period to 14 days instead of 30 days. They mail the statement which takes 5 days to get to calif then slow procees the payment in north carolina which then allows them to charge a late fee plus interest. It took over an hour to speak to a rep whom would only credit 50% of the late fee. They are a complete rip-off and should be arrested for this practice. Save yourself heartache and give someone else the business like I have.

Chevron Corporation Logo Chevron Corporation