Best Buy / re-stocking fee

1 Phoenix, AZ, United States Review updated:

Best buy, my foot…

Best buy has some bad policies...

Normally, I would not share this with others, however, since this could happen to you or your friends, I decided to share it. If you purchase something from, wal-mart, sam's club, jc penny, sears etc. And you return the item with the receipt they will give you your money back if you paid cash, or credit your account if paid by plastic.

Well, I purchased a gps for my car, a tom tom xl. S from 'best buy'. They have a policy that it must be returned within 14 days for a refund!

So after 4 days I returned it in the original box with all the items in the box, with paper work and cords all wrapped in the plastic. Just as I received it, including the receipt.

I explained to the lady at the return desk I did not like the way it could not find store names. The lady at the refund desk said, there is a 15% restock fee, for items returned. I said no one told me that. I said how much would that be. She said it goes by the price of the item. It will be $45.00 dollars for you. I said, all your going to do is walk over and place it back on the shelf then charge me $45.00 of my money for restocking? She said that's the store policy. I said if more people were aware of it they would not buy anything here! If I bought a $2000.00 computer or tv and returned it I would be charged $300.00 dollars restock fee? She said yes, 15%.

I said ok, just give me my money minus the restock fee.

She said, since the item is over $200.00 dollars, she can't give me my money back!!!

Corporate has to and they will mail you a check in 7 to ten days. !! I said 'what?!'

It's my money!! I paid in cash! I want to buy a different brand.. Now I have to wait 7 to 10 days. She said well, our policy is on the back of your receipt.

I said, do you read the front or back of your receipt? She said well, the front! I said so do i, I want to talk to the manager!

So the manager comes over, I explained everything to him, and he said, well, sir they should have told you about the policy when you got the item. I said, no one, has ever told me about the check refund or restock fee, whenever I bought items from computers to tvs from best buy. The only thing they ever discussed was the worthless extended warranty program. He said well, I can give you corporate phone number.

I called corporate. The guy said, well, i'm not supposed to do this but I can give you a 45.00 dollar gift card and you can use it at best buy. I told him if I bought something and returned it, you would charge me a restock fee on the item and then send me a check for the remaining 3 dollars. You can keep your gift card, i'm never shopping in best buy ever again, and if I would have been smart, I would have charged the whole thing on my credit card! Then I would have canceled the transaction.

I would have gotten all my money back including your stupid fees! He didn't say a word!

I informed him that I was going to e-mail my friends and give them a heads up on this store's policy, as they don't tell you about all the little caveats.

So please pass this on. It may save your friends from having a bad experience of shopping at best buy.

It's true! Read it for yourself!!

Best buys return policy
See links below, paste address in your browser window.

Http://www.Bestbuy. com/site/olspage. Jsp?Type=page&contentid=[protected]&id=cat12098

Ra

Comments

2nd of Sep, 2008

I was also ripped off by their stinking 15% restocking charge. I went away wanting to strangle the arrogant, condescending manager. What it taught me is that next time, (assuming I ever shop at Best Buy again) I need to return something, make sure it's broken. Then they won't charge you 15%. It's a shame to have to do that, but it's their greed that created this . Furthermore, there is nothing special about Best Buy. If you just look online for about 5 minutes you will find a dozen stores with much better prices with no sales tax and sometimes free shipping.