Barnes & Noble / rude & abusive management

1 333 North Congress Avenue, Boynton Beach, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 561-374-5570

B&n cares more about the bottom line than it does about its employees and customers.

I copied this above sentence from an ealier blog, and I find it to be very true. This comment above was from a former b&n employee, interesting!!! My sad experience is below.
I have been a regular customer of this b&n for over 10-years, but I am seriously re-thinking this loyalty.In an age where companies are struggling, what is wrong with b&n??? Their arrogance reminds me of blockbuster about 8-years ago, with its' rewind, late fees, etc. , I was angry about all of their 'hidden fees' of which smacked in the face of their arrogance and disregard for their customer and we know what happened with this story, netflix!! Well, b&n seems to have this very same arrogant attitude!
There is a bible verse that comes to mind here, " pride goes before a fall. "
Here is my experience:
In a recent visit to my local barnes and noble, I was 'called out' by 3-managers in front of other customers in the cafe. I had brought christmas cupcakes to give out to people that had recently offered me food treats. The food that they shared was not bought at the cafe, and neither was mine. Mine was home-made. I was screamed at by one manager as two others stood there also, but said nothing!!! I explained later that I was just reciprocating what had been so generously offered and accepted by me. And so I extended this gesture the day-after christmas.
Then it was as if I had done something really horrible!!! And all I did was to pass out a few cupcakes to a select few.
I really felt that my actions did not warrant the absolute over reaction on their part. Their screaming at me in the cafe in front of other customers was really very embarrassing and humiliating!!! The one manager screamed that I was not to pass out any more cupcakes and not to bring any outside food to the cafe, and that if I did that I would be forever banned from the store, and all of this was said in front of all the other customers that were in the cafe.
The handling of this situation was appalable!!! Store managers at this location have a very strong attitude of arrogance and indifference. No one there in a management position could see their fault in this situation, only other customers thought it was handled rather poorly. And one last thought, no where in the store, on any door, or wall is there any post that outside food is prohibited!
I will be spending my dollars elsewhere, b&n has gooten too big for its own britches!!!

Comments

• Gu
      28th of Dec, 2010

Manager(s) acted reasonably.
    + Customer was clueless.
    = B&N win!!!

• Mi
      7th of Jan, 2011

I recently worked at a B&N cafe... it's just like any other restaurant; there may not be signs that say it but it's pretty common knowledge that you're not supposed to bring outside food or beverage in. Now, my cafe, and a lot of restaurants, aren't too strict on this policy. The only time I ever called anyone out on it was if they were either rude or making a mess that I'd have to clean up. On that note... Barnes and Noble management tend to be t0tal ###s. Not all, but most. I can see why a manager would tell you to stop, though SCREAMING, not so much. To be honest, I feel like you are probably one of those people that were really dirty and just freaking everyone in the cafe out.