Bank Of America / late fees

1 Las Vegas, NV, United States Review updated:

I paid my credit card bill on saturday the 2nd. It was due on sunday the 3rd. I got hit with a late fee which then put me over the limit and and then the over the limit fee kicked in. That cost a total of 70.00 dollars for a bill that was paid on time. This is a pretty nice scam they have going here. Payments made on a weekend don't count but billing is ok. Ive never seen anything like this.The reason they get away with it is because the idiot senators and congress are asleep at the switch. Write to the senate and house banking committees as well as the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency and complain. Support term limits in the congress so we can get rid of the corrupt congressmen who sit on these committees. There is a word for this and it is called fraud.

Comments

• Sh
      18th of Aug, 2008

Nice scam indeed.I just wonder how they can sleep at night knowing what they are doing.I have been charged 9 times this month I have had money in my account the whole time until they charged me the fees I went to my local bank for answers they couldnt give any.They did credit me back 140.00 and 105 .00 but they did it in a way that guess what I have another overdraft fee today... Nice work I am being robbed by a bank.

30th of Aug, 2008

I have several credit cards with major companies. Bank of America is the ONLY one that does not post the payment the day it is posted on-line if the date falls on weekend. Has anyone seemed to notice that quite often the payment due dates fall on a weekend. This gives them the opportunity to collect a late fee and increase your interest rates! I can't imagine that a class action law suit hasn't taken place against them yet!! I'd like to get that ball rolling.

I have Discover, Chase and even Home Depot!! They all accept your payment the day it posts.

6th of Nov, 2008

I can do you all one better. I made my payment online, at the BofA website, on the day it was due at 1pm Pacific time. They didn't credit until the following Monday, charging me not only a $39 late fee, but jacking up my APR to 27%!!. I have never, ever seen anything like this.

• Un
      3rd of Jan, 2009

Same here, I logged on to BOA website to make my payment the day before due date, but the system did not allow me to make a payment because
    the due date was not a "business day." I was charged of late fee. I asked BOA to remove my late fee because it was unfair that I couldn't make payment on the due date on their website. Here is what BOA responded. I don't feel that they value me as a good customer, so I have canceled my credit card with BOA. It never happened to me with other credit card companies. I feel it's a scam too.

"After reviewing your account, we have determined that the late fee was
    applied correctly. We regret we are unable to remove the fee at this
    time. Therefore, this transaction will remain part of your account
    balance.

To avoid future late fees, we suggest payments made through the Bank of
    America Web site be submitted three business days prior to the due date
    as your due date fluctuates based on the number of days in a given
    month." - BOA

2nd of Mar, 2009

congress is not asleep at the wheel. PRESIDENT BUSH LET MBNA (now bank of america) WRITE THE CREDIT AND CONSUMERS BILL that regulates this almost criminal activity! their lobby is huge also. wouldnt it be so nice if, being a thief, you could write the very regulatory laws applying to your crimes.

• Me
      6th of Apr, 2009

OK sure enough sounds like the work of BOA !! I've held this credit card since 2006 and never used it till last summer 08. Within a couple of months I started getting hit with 39.00 late charges. Their monthly statement showed my payment was posted 1 day after closing date...odd ??

So out of pure panic I decided to make my monthly payment to CC a couple of weeks early. On top of that I had a good paycheck and decided to again make another payment in the very same month -- thinking, like my other credit cards, this would put me 2 months ahead. Boy was I totally wrong.

Come the very next bill...it showed all 3 payments totalling 900.00 posted to that month and to add insult to injury, they had the gaul to charge me a late fee once again because I did not make the following month's payment on time according to them. Keep in mind now that each & every month I pay at least an extra 100.00 over the min. payment.

Indeed after calling them they did refund the late charges. They have continued to do this nearly every other month.

Finally I spoke to a fella there that told me if I made my payment on the 23rd of each month it would fall into the billing for the next month.

So far this has worked for me...(cross my fingers)...!!!

Today I just got a coverall letter saying their interest rates were going up...isn't that just peachy ??

Please count me in on any Class Action Suits !!!

MEL

• Ta
      28th of Apr, 2009

This just happened to me!!! I'm so angry!
    I made a payment on the 6th and it was due on the 7th. I received a late fee on the 27th for $39 b/c the month of April still 'hadn't been paid'. and apparently there's nothing they can do about it. Once my credit card is paid off... never banking with Bank of America again.

• Mr
      28th of Jul, 2009

They have been ripping us off for YEARS!!! I don't know how they can get away with it, but, apparently, they do... through a BUNCH of loopholes! I had a direct deposit of my bi-weekly check and, technically, it's supposed to be available on Friday morning and, to begin with, it was! But at some point, they changed it on me and put like a 24 hour hold on the funds which, I guess, they had a right to put holds on any funds and holds can be anywhere from 24 hours to 14 days or maybe even longer? Anyways, that's what they use to get you (us) with overdraft fees, etc, which I didn't think they could do, but, apparently they can! They DON'T consider pending funds as part of your available funds, so if you didn't have enough in available funds, then they start hitting you with overdraft fees! I had to start pay day loans and that started the barrel rolling to where I finally had to let my bank account go... had NO other options available to me... obviously, I couldn't stop it because you can't close a bank account that's in the red... by the time it was stopped (done)... the account ran $ 800 into the negative!!! I never examined it, but I think part of that was a pay day loan ($ 600) and the rest was the overdraft fees of about $ 200!!! ALL because my pay day loan was due on Friday and my direct deposit check wouldn't be available until Saturday morning! Yeah, pay day loans is a REALLY BAD idea, but what the bank was doing to me wasn't right either!!!

• Ro
      28th of Jul, 2009

Just to let everyone know do not get a gold loan option from Bank of America. If you are late they will penalize you 559.00 dollars on a 25k loan. Do not be late and do not use them if you can.

• Cl
      29th of Jan, 2010

I would rather keep my money in my bathroom, use it to wipe my butt and flush it down the toilet than put it in this bank again which was worse than a crappy, nasty and stinky toilet anyway. At least my toilet is nice and clean.

21st of Feb, 2010

Romy200a: You state, "I paid my credit card bill on saturday the 2nd. It was due on sunday the 3rd. I got hit with a late fee which then put me over the limit and and then the over the limit fee kicked in. That cost a total of 70.00 dollars for a bill that was paid on time. This is a pretty nice scam they have going here. Payments made on a weekend don't count but billing is ok."

You don't mention HOW you paid on your bill. Did you go to a BofA bank branch and pay there? Did you do it online? It depends on the cutoff time and also, considering this was a weekend, funds transfers take longer to process. If you read the fine print on the back of your statement you will see that there are parameters to consider as to when your account will be credited for a payment. You have to watch that closely and don't try to pay your bill the day before it is due, and certainly not on a weekend, for goodness sake! You caused your own problems.

• Ti
      21st of Feb, 2010

What does your statement say about payments made on the weekend? It would be common sense to check that out before you wait to pay on a Saturday.