Bally's Total Fitness / Scam and cheating

1 12440 Imperial Hwy #300Norwalk, CA, United States Review updated:

A few years ago, Bally's Total Fitness was involved in a lawsuit where their CEO mislead investors. Bally's has been overstating accounts receivable thru fraudulent activities. In their financial statements, Bally's showed an unusually high amount of receivables from their customers. THe CEO was in the process of obtaining money thru stocks. The SEC investigated Bally's and found out that the CEO had done fraud involving stock offerings. The Company was suffering losses and needed capital. Easy way to raise capital was thru the sale of stock. The CEO misled investors by showing more receivables. It was easier for Bally's to pump up the receivables by fraudulently putting customers on collections, forging signatures on 3 year contracts, and committing identity theft.

If Bally's has your personal information (name, drivers lic, date of birth, work info, social security#, bank account info, credit card info), they will put you on collection to show more receivables (current assets). This would make Bally's look better on their financial. Bally's has been committing fraud for a very long time. It all starts with their sales people and management lying to potential customers. They would forge signatures for customers who did not sign three year contracts after obtaining all necessary personal information. Bally's was also overcharging customers (charging for a 37th month on a 3 year contract, overcharging bank accounts/credit cards, exc.). Bally's purchased non-franchised gyms and turned them into Bally's. The customers that were members of these non-franchised gyms usually got screwed by Bally's. Bally's overcharged these customers by charging their bank accounts and credit cards without authorization. Some members of these non-franchised gyms canceled their memberships soon as they found out that Bally's was going to take over. Bally's did not want to cancel the memberships and instead put these customers on collections.

Bally's Total Fitness is one of the most fraudulent companies in the US. Bally's fraudulently overstated accounts receivable to cover operating losses. Bally's bubble is going to burst and this company is going under water soon. I have been victimized by Bally's by filling out a sweepstakes form where I won a free 2 week membership. I refused to sign a 3 year contract. Only thing wrong I did was to give the sales personal my personal information.

The salesperson, Abel Perez, after he quit Bally's, told me that my signature was forged on a 3 year contract. He warned me that Bally's was going to place me on collections. Able told me that they did this to lot of customers that filled out the sweepstakes form. And nobody wins in this sweepstakes as it is only a scam. I like to start a class action lawsuit.

Va

Comments

• Du
      6th of Sep, 2008

i'd like to join you in class action sit against bally's.
    they engage in all kinds of cheating and fraudulent activities and i wander how they can continue doing that for many years.

• Ir
      26th of Sep, 2008

I want to join you in your class action

• Li
      3rd of Oct, 2008

id like to join as well.

14th of Oct, 2008
    Bally's Total Fitness - Lack of security locker broken into second time. Management could care less

What a very unprofessional run healthclub. They could care less and the members just the money. With their rotation policy where their are 3 GM each year how could someone take this place seriously.

• Zu
      12th of Nov, 2008

Count me in, this ### closed my account and opened a new one without notifying me. Now they put me in collection.

• J
      19th of Nov, 2008

Add two more to the list.

• M
      1st of Dec, 2008

Count me in! I signed up for a 3 year contract with Bally's in LA and was told that I could cancel at any time for $50, but when I moved after about 1 1/2 years (over an hour away from nearest Bally's), they told me in order to cancel I had to pay the remaining monthly fees until my 3 years were up!!! Now, my contract is finally over (on 11/28/08) and I called them specifically to tell them I did NOT want to renew my membership, the girl on the phone says "Ok, I cancelled your membership and I'll send you a confirmation letter", today I got the letter, saying: "This letter confirms your continued approval to electronically pay your renewal payments..." What the hell???

• Ba
      10th of Dec, 2008

I have been dealing with this Bally's nightmare for over 3 years. I actually received a cancellation letter from them and they still put me in collections. Every time I would get though faxing, explaining, complaining that this was not a valid collection I would be told sorry, I wouldn't be contacted again and lo and behold, 3 months later I'm in collections with a different agency! I am with you guys, HOW this company is ABLE to keep their doors open and continue to do this to american citizens EVERY SINGLE DAY OF THE YEAR is beyond my comprehension! I definately want to be part of a class action lawsuit. Where is this class action lawsuit? Please contact me at cabanna10@hotmail.com if you have this information. Thank You. Good luck.

• Zb
      16th of Feb, 2009

Please count me in too. It is imposible to cancel and when you ask for the so called contract they tell you to contact the collection agency!!

• Vb
      12th of Mar, 2009

I PAID my contract off after they harrassed me year after year when I did not truly owe this amount and now another agency is saying that I still owe the money. Has anyone had dealings with a Collection agency named AMS??? I can't find them now and I think my money has gone up in smoke!!!

• Ra
      15th of May, 2009

My locker was broken into once. The manager didn't care. I lost about $200 worth of stuff...the good thing is my Blackberry and my wallet was inside my car!! I got myself a proper gym bag and keep my stuff with me at all times.

• Rt
      28th of May, 2010

I agree with you on that one!! the guy that signed me up at Bally's promised that after two years, he will lower my monthly payment to $20.00 a month. At that time, it sounded like a good deal until Bally's went cheap, and cut their Friday and weekend hours short. Now, two years passed, the guy that signed me up isn't there naymore and they renewed my contract at the original price without my consent. If i want to cancel, they will force me to pay a cancellation fee. What angers me more is that i referred two people to Bally's with good recommendation and got them to join. Screw that now, i'm warning everyone against Bally's. They are that typical slimy, deceiving, money hungry corporation that deserves to be put in the spotlight for everyone to see them for the slimeballs they are.

17th of Sep, 2010

How do I join this lawsuit? Bally's is actually taking me to court after forging my signature onto a contract I never even saw. Write back to agelica4412@att.net

• Da
      13th of Jan, 2011

The law offices of Dworken & Bernstein Co., L.P.A. are currently investigating whether Bally's consumers are eligible for relief. If you are interested in assisting with this investigation, please call or email. Thanks, Leah.
    (440) 352-3391
    (800) 877-3391 toll free
    lcole@dworkenlaw.com

• Wo
      9th of Mar, 2011
    Bally's Total Fitness - Bogus Email Offers

They sent a bogus offer out last weekend offering to renew my subscription for one year at a cost of 0.00. I tried to click the link and was then told the offer expired, and when i called to complain it was a big hassle and turns out they claim they made a mistake and sent out a bunch of these offers. I was upset about it and after talking to a SV they at least gave me 3 months free added on to my membership. They say that they have been routinely giving out 3 months free to those that asked about this error but at first they tried to deny me anything. I was wondering if anybody got more than that or if they are screwing anybody else and telling different info to different people?

• Li
      29th of May, 2011
    Bally's Total Fitness - Worthless Agreement
    Bally's Total Fitness

On 08-25-2004 I was contacted by a sales person from a Bally's Club saying I won a free week to workout. I went to the club to accept my week pass and was talked into signing up for a 30 day money back guarantee deal. How can you go wrong with a written guarantee? The salesman began typing up my '30 day' contract and asked me if any of my family members would like a pass to workout with me. I named my kids and boyfriend. He hands me the contract and it's for one year and he had listed my kids and boyfriend. I said to him that I didn't want them on my contract because they may not want to go to the gym. He said not to worry because at the end of my 30 day trial offer all I need to do is redo my contract and take them off. He said it's best to leave them on there because they may decide to go with me and swim or jump into the sauna. Then he added 'you don't want to go through more paper work. It'll only slow you down.' I took the contract with only 50% sure that I'd join for a year at that gym. The guy wore me down just selling me a silly 30 day deal. The only way to qualify for the 30 day deal is to workout for 12 days out of 30. And if you're not satisfied then you request in writing that Bally's Total Fitness provide buyer with a full refund of all membership fee and dues (if any) paid to Bally's to date for Member's membership and cancel Member's membership, in accordance with the official rules set out on the back of the guarantee. I did 15 days and told the sales people that I was going to cancel. I mailed a letter and believed it was done with untill I received a bill for the amount of $2, 936.00 I am still disputing these charges that are now on my credit report.

• Rr
      23rd of Jul, 2011

All right,
    This fitness center is very dirty...
    1) The toilets are always dirty
    2) many times there is no soup
    3) almost always there is no paper to dry your hands or paper for sweaty people without a towel to dry themselves
    4) People actually workout without towels! that's just nasty when they don't wipe out the benches!!
    5) PT are rude... there is the PT that always tells people to rack the weights or to not drop the weights on the floor!
    6) It takes them about 1 week to fix machines. Some machines are very critical and need to be fixed in less than 24 hrs!
    7) Pins are getting stolen and it takes them times to replace them. One time they wanted to "punish" us, so they just removed all of the pins.
    I don't care if they are getting stolen, not my problem! catch the thefts or replace them instantly
    8) THE AC!!! at least once a month, the AC breaks. This is just horrible especially in the summer times!!
    One time I came to the gym and just because it was broken, I just left...

• Rr
      23rd of Jul, 2011
    Bally's Total Fitness - Dirty Nasty Place
    Bally's Total Fitness
    Kings Hwy
    Brooklyn
    New York

All right,
    This fitness center is very dirty...
    1) The toilets are always dirty
    2) many times there is no soup
    One time I came to the gym and just because it was broken, I just left...

• Cr
      30th of Jan, 2014

when I first joined ballys a month ago the sign said 9.99 a month when I got inside to join however I was told it would be 20 dollars a month I said no big deal I signed up anyway the process of signing up a pt trainer came I in he said he would charge me 200 a month for personal training I said I can't afford that so he said he will train me for 120 a month I agreed I told them I don't have the full amount I was told I could pay 40 and give the 80 dollar balance on Friday on Friday I paid the eighty dollar balance on my debit card I am now being harassed by ballys because they are saying I was supposed to pay eighty dollars cash not debit so because it was there mistake I owe them eighty dollars they told me that they voided my eighty dollar payment I been checking my bank statement everyday there is no void they want me to hand them over a extra eighty if the price of personal training is 200 and it's non negotiable then it should be stated as that don't have me sign a contract telling me that I can pay 120 a month when the real amount is 200 they seem to have shady business practices and they already have my banking info I'm sorry I wasn't aware of this in the beginning I hate this gym

• Se
      26th of Mar, 2014

please let me know if you do this, I too have been thinking of seeking restitution for overcharging of fees for the past year on my account and my husbands. my email is jcwickedenterprises@yahoo.com