Baja Real Estate / WARNING about buying in Baja!

1 Mexico Review updated:

I have seen numerous new complaints posted against developers in Baja. The business practices of Real Del Mar, Frisas Construction, Jose Luis Corona, and others are not uncommon. That is why the United States Government warns American citizens against buying in Baja, or anyplace in Mexico. They can not help you when you have problems. Do research. Research your developer in Google. When I was first looking at Real Del Mar, there were no complaints about them or Frisas construction on the Internet. People were slow to put them up. Now I see some. If you have had problems with your property, it would be good to post the issues on complaint boards like these. The important thing is NEVER buy a property in Mexico, NEVER sign a contract in Mexico without the advice of a GOOD Mexican attorney.

Comments

• Fr
      11th of Jul, 2007

So, how does one find a good Mexican attorney?

18th of Jul, 2007

I looked at the construction at the Mariotte Hotel in Real Del Mar, the other hotel I stayed in at Puerto Nuevo, and I have to say, it is substandard. It is typical of Baja construction. It would never pass inspection in the United States. Some of the plumbing in Mexican developments is a joke too. The pipes, or where you should have pipes in made out of plastics that are very flimsy. Look under the bathroom sinks, that is what you are getting.

20th of Jul, 2007

The Mexican government does little to nothing to assist foreigners who get scammed there. Real estate and timeshare fraud is rampant. It is important to use the words complaint or scam in doing any research on the Internet. An example is put Royal Holiday complaints in google, and you will find literally hundreds of people who have been scammed openly, in broad daylight at resorts. The government, credit card companies, and hotel chains all know it is going on, and NO ONE is stopping it. It does not surprise me that real estate developers are also signing contracts that they have NO intention of living up to. We may pay higher taxes in the United States, but we are a lot safer here. That does not mean it does not happen, but contractor boards, boards of realty, the bbbs, and other agency's are effective. Just look at the difference between Tijuanna and San Diego. Tell me higher taxes aren't worth it. Recent drug tests on cops in Baja show around twelve percent are on some type of drugs. And that is the law enforcers. I agree, Mexico is no place to be.

7th of Aug, 2007

I had a squatter move into my place, even though it is a gated community. The security believed them when they showed them a false rental agreement. It has been a year and I can't get my place back. The law sides with squatters if they are Mexican citizens and the landlord is foreign. I am going to default on my loan, because my other home mortgage just went up and I can not afford the payments, the legal fees, and the time to go to a Mexican court again. I already have put thousands into a Mexican attorney to try to help me. No more good money after bad, as I saw one person write. If you have a Mexican dream, rent, don't purchase. It is hell if you have a problem. I tried to use PROFECO, but they don't handle disputes like this. I saw that they are the agency that helps foreigners, but only within the first year of having a contract, and a squatter problem is not anything they deal with. What a nightmare.

• Ro
      11th of Aug, 2007

Unfortunately all the issues discussed are meaningless if you have inadequate water supplies or sewage treatment facilities. Water is currently a major problem in Baja and continues to worsen with the drought. Check out the last issue of Gringo Gazette for more information. Baja's water is being siphoned off by 7 US states, grabbing Colorado river water before it reaches Baja.

I ran out of water one evening in Marbella and I had company. It took almost a day to find a truck to deliver a load.