Audiobooks.com / False advertising and unprofessional support

Ga Review updated:

After signing up for Audiobooks.com and paying my membership fee I received an email telling me my account was suspended and to call for more information. The first representative was vague but I eventually found out my account was suspended because of excess usage/downloads. I did not understand how this was possible considering the company offers "unlimited downloads". I ended up talking to the "manager" Kimberly who was rude, abusive, and acted as though the entire situation was a joke. I asked for a refund (Kimberly claimed I would get one) and the companies mailing address. Kimberly gave me an email address and told me I would here from the manager (even though Kimberly originally stated she was the manager) via email. I have not heard from anyone else from Simply Audiobooks (the company on my bank statement) or received a refund.

Anyone thinking about trying Audiobooks.com or Simply Audiobooks should do their research before giving them any banking information.

1. Audiobooks.com claims to be unlimited but will cancel your account if you exceed an undisclosed number if downloads.

2. If you attempt to contact the company you will either be ignored or mistreated by customer service.

3. You will not receive your membership fee back if your account is closed for exceeding undisclosed limits.

If you are someone who has already had their money taken please share your experience with the FTC, BBB of New York, and consumer affairs/protection in New York.

Comments

• Be
      Nov 08, 2012

This also happened to me today. I signed up for unlimited listening of audio books for 29.95 a month. They charged my Pay pal account on Nov 2, 2012. I received an email today Nov 8, 2012 stating I had committed fraudulent activity and my membership was canceled. I called them and they said they couldn't tell me why my account was flagged and suspended. I have no idea what happened. They did issue me a refund already through Pay pal.

• Wi
      Nov 26, 2012

My account was suspended today. I had to call three times before a manager admitted it was due too what they consider abuse and fraudulent activity.

I can't wrap my head around why a company would advertise unlimited use only to cancel your account for taking their word for it.

• Pa
      Jan 22, 2013

I had the same experience. After a week I was suspended and it took 2 weeks to be reinstated. They could not tell my why! So I followed their rules (must use a sleep time at night or their computer assumes you are scraping the book! Well, I listened to 4 books in 4 days and then got suspended again--was told second time is permanent. They would not give me any management contact info and said sales and marketing can do nothing, it is all computer programmed! But they are happy to keep billing me! I am so mad...

• Ha
      Aug 12, 2014

This company charged my paypal account twice at $14.95 and $1.00. I never ordered nor received any products from Audiobooks.
    I am the only one with access to my paypal account.

• Ha
      Aug 13, 2014

I contacted paypal who in turn inquired with audiobooks and received a refund less than 24 hours of posting my complaint. I'm greatful for the expedient action.

• Ni
      Feb 26, 2017

I ####ing hate this company. worst ever! im trying to look for a cancel membership button but i cannot find one. they are charging me and ive never downloaded anything at all. i just want my account deleted and especially my payment method. for some reason my visa card is remembered on it. i dont know how to remove it