Atlantic Circulation, Inc. / No Magazines

1 2550 Kingston Road, Ste 113, York, PA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 717-755-3480

I ordered several magazines from this young man and paid him cash of $149.00 back in June of 2008, and as of today January 5, 2009 I have yet to see my magazines. I have tried calling the phone number and recieve nothing but a busy signal. I believe this company is a scam and I will be fowarding my complaint on to the Attorney General.

Comments

• Mo
      7th of Mar, 2009

my son left central oregon with this company on a road crew. he called me two to three times a week for the first month he was gone and the stories he told me were horrible. even their most basic needs were not being met, they didn't get paid but their money was sent away to somewhere. they were starving and sleeping in tents in a campground...big difference from the phoenix inn where they stayed originally while "in trianing" in bend oregon prior to hitting the road. last call i got he made from a strangers borrowed cell phone and the call was cut short because "someone had seen him" and i have not been able to locate him or have heard absolutely nothing from his since that call on july 3 of 2008. our family is actively seeking my son as are other families in our area who had children leave on that recruiting bus. the local police and sheriff departments refuse to file missing persons reports because they are adults who left on their own accord and are not at risk to anyone or themselves and have no known medical problems that require medication. we are at out wits end on where to turn with this. finally the site "parentwatch" is helping with some of the basics that we couldn't locate on our own such as just the company name. the kids were told that it was atlantic publications international which is non existent. which makes me wonder just how much bull they have told these kids and what they are actually doing to them and with the money collected for the magazines i'm now reading have been ordered and payed for but never delivered as well as other kids horror stories about the road crews, long hours, lack of basic necessities and their escapes. more people need to be aware and many need help

• Je
      14th of Mar, 2009

this is all bull ### comments. i am a kid on a mag crew and i love the crew. This ProGRAM has inspried me to change many behavoirs in my life. Matt My BoSS has showed me that u can do anything u put ur mind too. If u talk to half the ppl that buy magzines from me they will tell u that i am a respectful young lady and i made a diffence just like them to me. U just gotta have faith that one kid really is doing the right thing and u will get ur ordered maGS jUst call the office 7177553480

23rd of Mar, 2009

I ordered a subcription magazine for my brother in January of 2009 & I called today, March 23, 2009 because he still has not received the magazines & the girl I purchased the subscription from said he would receive it within 6-8 weeks! It was $73 so I wrote a check although she said she preferred cash because she could win more points. So I called this # that I found online 1-717-755-3480 & spoke with someone about my brother still not receiving his magazines & my check already went through on 1/29/09 & she said he would receive it May 19th because it takes up to 120 days & I explained to her that the girl I purchased the sub. from said it would be 6-8 wks! She said "No, it takes up to 120 days." And I was furious & said I just hope this isn't a scam because I don't want to have to go to court over this & she said "We're not a scam, it's in the system to be sent to him & if he doesn't receive it by then, u can call back to cancel your order but u can't cancel it now because you have to cancel it within 2 days of the purchase."

Just note that I did a google search on Atlantic Circulation, Inc & there were several websites that came up where people were stating they were scammed by this company so be careful!!! And if my brother doesn't receive his order BY MAY 19TH, I WILL TAKE THIS TO COURT & REPORT THEM TO THE Better Business Bureau!!

• Sp
      21st of May, 2009

I ordered a mag for my boyfriend Jan 9 09, Still no magazine, I spoke to a rep and she told me the same thing she told you. Now Im trying to call again and I get nothing but a busy signal!!! I dont know what to do anymore, Im a my wits end! This is ad because I know all kids who really are trying to fundraise for school or something are now going to suffer the consequences of this stupid company. Im out $56 dollars, and NEVER buying anything from a kid again, even if its family. Did you ever take it up with the BBB?

• Cu
      22nd of May, 2009

If you are unable to reach the company by telephone, they have an email [protected]@atlanticcirculation.com) mailing address (2550 Kingston Rd. Suite 113 York, PA 17402) as well as a fax number(1.717.755.3484) this is all on my receipt but the email address.A telephone is not your only option. If you want your magazines or your money returned I would think you would try to get in contact with them any way you could, before you complain. If you click the link when you Google Atlantic Circulation, Inc. there information comes up with all contact info. If you have time to write a letter to the BBB write the company a letter to. I received my two magazines and my money was returned for third one because the magazine was not made any longer. I called and wrote a letter and they responded.

• Ta
      22nd of May, 2009

I just ordered 3 magazines from 2 boys. I had a bad feeling when they left so I hopped online and did some research and was appalled at what I have read. I immediatley contacted my bank and put a stop payment on the checks...since both boys needed to make a sale...stupid me.
    Well $50.00 to cancel my checks and I will chalk it up as lesson learned. How can we put a stop to this B.S. Upon further reading of my receipts one from each boy...the receipts both have the exact same receipt number!!! Unbelievable I can't believe I didn't catch that before it cost me $50.00

• Ta
      22nd of May, 2009

it is truelly sad that companies like this use the school system as a story. Cause now when there is a real fund raiser I am not going to give them money...unless it's girl scout cookies!
    6months ago I fell for another scam...Local high school putting together their spring fliers to hand out at games and wanted to know if I would advertise with them...well, I needed to do some advertising for my business and thought this sounded good...well, $89.00 gone and that too was a scam! These people make me sick and need to be stopped for good!

12th of Jul, 2009

I fell for the story by the Atlantic Circulation solicitor too, and once the girl left, I started to think something didn't feel right. I first thougt I was doing a good deed and it turns out I am being scammed. I even asked her directly if it was a scam, and that didn't even phase her. Anyway, I ordered 24 issues of readers digest for $50.00 +13.00 Postage and Handling. I checked the internet and saw he same horror stories about the company, and also checked the readers digest site, and found they offered 10 issues at $10.00 and 20 issues at $15.00. There wasn;t even a 24 issue offer available. I immediately put a stop payment on my check (thank goodness for a friend that works at the bank, and wrote to the ":scamming company" via their website. By law, you do not have to use their cancellation form...they simply need notice within 72 hours, however, I will follow their "required process". I have a screen shot of the complete note which will go to the Attorney General, BBB, and every other consumer relations assistance organization I can think of if they try to cash my check or I get any indication of foul play. I was so upset that I also have also noitified my credit card companies, and they are on the lookout for anything suspicious. I will also be checking my accounts online on a daily basis. Thank goodness I have a service that keeps an eye on my accounts for me too. Little did the sales person know I also have the complete transaction on video, so I hope that will come in handy if they make any attempt to cash the check or get money from me in any other manner. It's a shame that the almighty dollar has become the most important thing in most people's lives.

• We
      22nd of Jul, 2009

I am so thankful for my intuition! A kid came to my door today trying to sell me magazines and gave me a full and detailed story about why he needed the money and the points! Apparently he's a home-schooled kid who gets to take his "senior trip" to Hawaii if he can raise enough money. He gave me some line about being nervous because he's only been asking people for 3 days and wanted me to affirm that he was doing ok. Later on in our conversation I asked him if he had really only been doing this for 3 days since he seemed like such a smooth talker to me! After more talking and more suspicion on my part, I began asking questions, direct questions like, "How do I know this isn't a scam?" He told me to call the number to which I replied, "How do I know you don't have 'your people' working the phones?" I realized that there was no way I was giving him any money (he even had the nerve to ask me if I could pay anything in cash since he got 'more points' for getting some or all the payment in cash). I told him that I'd have to talk it over with my husband but for him to come back tomorrow. Man oh man, did he ever pull out all the excuses as to why he couldn't come back! His mom, who was doing this for several years now apparently, would be so mad at him or the company works on a first impression basis or he is not allowed to come back because of some rules or policy. He got really upset and tried to guilt me into giving him the money because he was almost in first place with raising all the money and if he got to first place before anyone else, he'd get an extra $2000 when he got to Hawaii.
    Some of the other comments sound almost legit, however the kid who stopped by my house this morning was not too legit to me! Unfortunately the people who are reading my comments have probably already been scammed-how else would I find this website or company had the kid not stopped by my house this morning? Tell all your friends and neighbors to beware! Post signs, send emails, make your status update on fb to warn people. If you want a magazine, you can go to the store and buy one-no one needs to come to your door to tell you what you need!

• Ke
      22nd of Jul, 2009

Well I see they moved. Same company, different address back in 2000-2002 (2 College Ave., Mountville, PA 17554) but same result. Paid $73.00 for two subscriptions and got nothing. Got nothing but BS before and after filing a complaint with the BBB and still no magazines. Ms. Laura K. Potter was the customer service supervisor that gave me the runaround.

• Sc
      30th of Jul, 2009

I received the same song & dance from a young man claiming to have just joined a program after high-school graduation that was teaching him business and communication skills. His goal was to speak to as many people as he could to try to raise money for his program and at the same time earn points towards a vacation in Europe. He asked if he could collect our business cards claiming he would get additional points for each one. I thought that was pretty interesting since he was visiting a residential neighborhood in the middle of a business day. Seems most professionals with cards would be working, right? He was a pretty smooth talker and despite my better judgement my husband wanted to help his "cause".
    Yesterday my young neighbor from across the street came over to tell us how she went to work for this same company a few days earlier (interesting since she graduated from high-school quite a few years ago). Apparently she and the young man who stopped at our house were arrested for soliciting. This company left them in jail in a foreign city with nothing but the clothes on their back and refused to help them in any way. I'd think you'd learn the soliciting laws in the city you were doing business in before sending young inexperienced people out on your behalf.
    Needless to say, I can not stop payment on my check because it has already been cashed. We'll see if I get my magazine in 120 days!!

• Wa
      31st of Jul, 2009

Atlantic Circulations INC is a scam and I was suckered!
    I ordered a magazine back in February I paid 48 with a check and 13 in cash so 61 dollars. I ordered it for my daughter and she has yet to receive an issue. Unless you want to count the old one she received complete with the address box cut out back in April.
    I have called, the first time I was told it takes 120 days and every time after that I get a busy signal. I have also faxed them and gotten no reply and now that I have an e-mail address I will attempt that but suspect that we will not see the magazine(48issues) or the money. I will not be taken in again.

• Le
      4th of Aug, 2009

Everyone on here is getting so upset and threatening to do things to the company, thinking that will make a difference! Those kids selling magazines are 'Independent Contractors' and that means the company is not liable for any actions that occur because of them. I used to be a kid in the 'contest' 10 years ago, and I don't think anything has really changed since then. If these people can get away with rape and murder, somehow I don't think they are too concerned about 50 to 100 dollars. Sorry to break it to you.

• Fo
      31st of Aug, 2009

I read the complaints after giving the kid a check. Lucky me I read this while the kid was next door. I just asked him to give me my check back. THANK YOU for the warning. A friend of mine told me the same I've read here happened to her.

• Mi
      1st of Sep, 2009

I too read complaints after writing check. I heard the same line of BS as mentioned above...points, competition between boys & girls, learning communication skills etc. Also lucky for me I was able to find Brian at the next block. I told him I wanted my check. He gave it back to me. Done deal. Lesson learned

• Rh
      28th of Sep, 2009

Thank God my bank doesn't charge me for a stop payment on my checks! Just yesterday had a kid come by, just like everyone else. I told him I didn't like magazines, so he said his school program would donate them to a children's hospital near by if I ordered children's magazines (which of course earned him triple points). He was even nice enough to cover the $13 shipping cost for me for the extra points. Well I'm a sucker for sick children, so I did it. After he left -i.e., he jumped into a white minivan that peeled out- I checked my "tax deductible" receipt which stated that Atlantic Circulation is not affiliated with any schools. That's when I began to realize parts of his story didn't line up. When I read up online, I kicked myself so hard! I filed a police report, but they said that they can't really do anything because Atlantic is a "legitimate" company, and since I don't have any info on the sales rep, its a lost cause.
    Now I'm usually a pretty good judge of character. After all, I'm a car salesman (the honest kind), and I've seen these high pressure tactics in use before. But they have these kids brainwashed pretty hardcore, they flow very smoothly. If you're like me and you have a heart, be careful, they'll do everything they can to use it against you.

• Wa
      1st of Oct, 2009

I was supposed to receive several magazines from your company and I gave a check and I never received my magazines.

• Re
      2nd of Nov, 2009

This company is bad news. While I sympathize with all the readers who have lost money to this company, this does not even touch upon the true evil of the masterminds of this scheme. A dear high school friend of mine went missing 6 years ago while selling magazines in a trailer park in New York for Atlantic. Fragments of her skull were found recently in a nearby state park. I'm not sure if it was the magazine officials who had anything to do with her murder, but at the very least they failed to report her disappearance to the police in a timely fashion. And why did they send an 18 year old girl into an isolated (it could only be accessed by dirt road) trailer park known to be dangerous by herself? Please warn any young people looking for "that opportunity" to BE WISE!! Look up the story of Jennifer Hammond and be warned.

• Ju
      16th of Nov, 2009

I fell for the same story as most of you. This kid even had a patch from HPD where he claimed an HPD officer had given it to him, he also has lots of military patches where he claimed he collected them and buyers had given some to him. I knew something didn't seem right when he asked for cash but being a mom and wanting to help him I only have him a check. So I called my back also and put a stop on it. My back incourage to me change my account since they have all my informtion from the check I gave him.

• So
      4th of Dec, 2009

My name is Solar.

Now look.

Atlantic Circulations Inc. is a company that clears and sends out subscriptions for the independent contractors (A bunch of kids in traveling door-to-door magazine sales crews) who you get at your door. The business of door to door magazine sales has been around since the great depression. It began as a work reformation project founded by the government, at a time when hundereds of other federally funded work opportunities openned to the public, such as Job Corps, and LaborReady. While the door-to-door magazine sales failed officially in the long run, it has reached beyond federal funding to keep the program alive. These kids are honestly competing for a 2 week trip to most anywhere in the world they want to go with the condition that the destination be agreed upon by all 4 contest finalists. When an agent on the sales crews gets to 35, 000 points, they truly do get a $2, 000 bonus as well.

This is a pyramid scheme in it's definition. Atl. Cir. Inc. Is not the company responsible for your misfortunes. They are not actually selling you anything, just clearing all orders that are sent to them by the sales people. These crews are all managed by managers, and then there are supervisors, and then there are agents. It can have more levels than this example, but generally, Atlantic takes their half of the sale, the supervisors take their 10% of each agents "production", or what is remaining after the clearing house gets their portion, the manager then takes half of the remainder, leaving roughly 23% of each sale for the agent. A manager would then be responsible for housing the agents. Any good manager will always make sure that the hotel rooms for the agents are paid for, even if it means they all share a room for the night. Everyone takes care of eachother in making sure everyone is fed, and it really is a family atmosphere, for these young people who most of which come from broken homes. They are learning positive communication skills, as well as responsibility, comradery, and getting to travel and share in life's experiences while they do it. Some of us are among the most interesting people I have ever met. Talk to us, see how we work. If you like us, buy a magazine. I won't even go into the lists of highly successful people who started off selling magazines in door to door crews, but this is a system taking kids off of the streets, people without anywhere to go, and showing them love, and teaching them the power of communication. I have heard some horror stories, believe me, but not from my crew. Not from most crews.

So when you are about to say no, remember. You aren't buying a magazine. You are supporting a lifestlye. Granted there are "scam crews" that won't send your receipt in because their receipt are counterfeit, more than likely. These crews are often the ones who have to endure the most abuse and unfair conditions. Like I said, many of these people have no home to go back to.

If I could ask any one thing from you, Mr. and Mrs. Jones... It's not to call the police. We deal with the police each and everyday.

I put my email address on every receipt, and if you don't recieve your magazines in 4 months (that's worst case scenario), I will make the calls to take care of it.

Here's the thing... As an agent, I can assure you that these kids are more than likely not:

Homeschooled
    In R.O.T.C.
    In High School (We travel a lot)

If they say they are, then that doesn't mean they are representing an illigitimate business, it just means they are lying to make the sale.

P.S.
    The troops and children DO get their magazines.

Tip to make sure your agent is good for their magazines:
    Check their paperwork. Their receipts should ideally be in numerical order or close. Double receipt numbers more than likely means that this is a "scam crew".