Asus / rebate on electronic products

Ne Mar 22, 2016 Buena Park, CA

When I turned in my small form for a rebate on an asus dvd player via us postal mail, it took more two months to get a rebate back. instead of issuing a check, like most companies do, it appears they issue a amex reward card. on the website at a latter date, I found out that anything over 5$ will be on a amex gift card instead of a check to cash in at the bank and this is a discrepancy. upon my knowledge, most gift cards that I got don't expire, nor charge fees to use or have them. this rewards card, says it expires in 2021, so I put it down and figured I have a good amount of years to use it as it is like a $10 bill, or is it? I noticed in the front it says it charges service fees and I assume it meant that it charges transaction fees to use, yet another discrepancy. but is supposed to be a gift card, and it wasn't. so with this in mind, it turns out that if you don't use the card after so many months, you will not have any money left. I was supposed to get cash back, aka rebate. I did not ask for nor agree to the circumstances that come with card. what you don't notice, is that if you accept that card never expires and yet expires some years later and plan to use it months later, you will find out your money is reduced two dollars a month for fees. to me, this is a scam and misleads the public, because gift cards should not be rebates nor reward cards. all in all, I never got my $10 cash back for my rebate. naturally assuming that there should not be a problem with the card when you go to use it, if you turn it over, but why should you, you will find that it says it deducts two dollars a month after 6 months. this is hidden from the front which the front misleads people to think there should not be a problem. both asus and amex said there should not be charges for using a card to buy something, but I know better. I find this a scam. I should not have to incur charges to spend my 10 dollars they owe me. if it was a 10 dollar bill, then I would not have this problem. they told me to spend it online to so not to incur charges, but I don't shop online, and I did not have the internet at the time. if you call either place and complain telling them you want to get your $10 dollars, they tell you to call the other guy. regardless this is a consumer scam. even on the website, it doesn't say, that you will incur charges if you don't use the card in 6 months. this tells me the card does expire. see the example page from the web.