52& RCA HDTV / Repair is a nonsense!

I purchased a 52" RCA HDTV in 2004 and just yesterday, when I went to turn it on the screen would not come up. There is no sound or picture, I have tried all the options in the owner's manual, but still nothing. I called the customer service team at RCA, but got now where. I informed the rep what the situation was, after she had gone thru all the procedures with out any success, she referred me to an "authorized" repair service in my area. I asked if RCA was going to cover the house call or the repair. She said that since my warranty was over I had to pay out of pocket. It was as if my TV was designed to shut down as soon as my warranty hit its expiration date!!! Which was 2 months ago. This has never happened before. I have not called the repair people, but come on, the price will be outrageous, we all know that!!! I think that this is nonsense, i believe that a manufacturer should stand by their product and guarantee the product to work past its expiration date. I would like to get some feedback about this situation.

Pa

Comments

• Ka
      25th of Jan, 2007

We too bought this RCA 52" tv in December of 2004. In January of 2005 the tv went out. After talking with RCA customer service they agreed to cover the tv under warranty, because it was only out of warranty by a month (our tv only had a 1 yr warranty). The repair man came and a bulb (or something) had exploded and dripped on the mother board and shorted it out. He said if I were to have to pay, it would have been in excess of $500 to get it fixed. ONE YEAR later the tv went out AGAIN. Knowing there's nothing RCA is going to do we went ahead and purchased a new tv. When the company we bought the new tv from came to deliver, he told us that there's a class action suit on those tv's and I need to check into it.

• Ca
      22nd of May, 2007

I too have a 52' HDTV from RCA that just went out. There were sparks in the back and something caught on fire. We called RCA and they were not very helpful and emphatically advised us that we were out of warranty (basically they might as well have said tough luck). How do I find out about this class action suit? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have only had this TV for a little over 2 years.

• Pa
      12th of Dec, 2007

Our warranty just expired on our 52" RCA HDTV and now, when I try to turn the tv on, the light comes on, then flashes, and nothing happens. I read another complaint about a burned out bulb dripping on the mother board and the cost to repair it! Who has an extra $500 laying around to repair something that was supposed to be of good quality? If there truly is a class action suit, count me in and let me know! This just isn't right...

• Br
      19th of Jun, 2008

Same here. Won't turn on. Called repair shop, they said it would cost 600-800. We got this t.v. in January of 2005. What a scam.

• Er
      13th of Jul, 2008

paying $1, 600 for a tv and it only lasted about 3yrs is no good.. if there is a class ation count me in also ... my rca hdtv power lite turns on and off 3 times then stays off. no screen comes on... if i do this over and over about 15 times tv will come on and work till the next time i turn it on...has'nt rca been making projection tv' s a long time to fix these problems ???????? and i do not even dare call a repair service knowing the price to fix it is around $500 bucks ...i think there is a lot of toxic waste due to throwing away tv' s, for a part that probably costs very little to fix and keep ... i sum what fix all my things, so now i guess i have to learn how to be a tv repiar man also...

• Ro
      21st of Jul, 2008

Same problem here. Watching show and it goes off. turn button on, power lights up for a few seconds and shuts off. bought 11/05. Also gave me authorized service personel and will be 120.00 just to look at it. never will buy rca again.

• Ou
      22nd of Jul, 2008

This same thing has been happening on my RCA D52W20, the power light blinks 3 times and than nothing. 6e8b5this tv is only 2 years old!!! I just Called Circuit city where I bought it and they told me it would be $150 to come out and look at near $500 for the part and another $100 to come out and install it. WTF. The old tv in my parents house is still working and they have had it since the 80's.

• Da
      31st of Jul, 2008

My RCA D52W14 HDTV 52" lasted 3 years, it is doing the same thing. Light comes on and off 3 times, then nothing. I have an older tv that has worked for over 10 years. I am going to purchase a different brand HDTV and never buy RCA again.

3rd of Aug, 2008

I Purchase my RCA D52W14 HDTV 52" lasted 2 years to the date 8/3/08, I heard popping in TV and two days later I now have three lines of rainbow colors at the top of the screen, and all of the images are shown in threes consisting of the three colors at the top, red blue and yellow. Something should be done about this. It is so unfair for us to pay this kind of money and have no repercussion. How do I find out about this class action suit? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

5th of Aug, 2008

I also want to know about the class action lawsuit. I've had mine for 2 1/2 years. Yesterday, the screen started bowing in and trying to turn it off. Before I could get it to a pawn shop and sell it, the thing crapped out. Same thing happened to my roommate's 28". My tv only cost $550 anyway, I'm still pissed about this though. Screw RCA.

• Ga
      9th of Aug, 2008

I too, have a 52" RCA HDTV purchased in July 2004.It's a model # D52W15. The same thing happened to us just recently.Whenever we turn on the power button, it comes on appproximately 3 times, then stops. The TV never comes on, just tries to. I'm furious at this. After paying $1600 for what we thought was a "top of the line TV " that we believed would last us for many years. Now we have a huge big screen Tv thats JUNK! Someone should be held accountable for this.

11th of Aug, 2008

Thank you for your comments. I was about to but a guy's T.V that is three years old, but I will just keep my money. Thanks again!

12th of Aug, 2008

OMG. Me, too! We bought this crappy TV 3 years ago and started experiencing problems after 1 year (1 month after the warranty expired!). My husband adjusted with the bulb controls inside the TV and was able to make it work for another 2 years. Now here we are today and we think the blue bulb finally blew. Who knows what else is wrong with it. We chose RCA b/c they'd been around so long, but after this $1000 fiasco, we will NEVER buy RCA again. Mark my words.

--Maria

• To
      19th of Aug, 2008

same problem with my RCA 52" it started going off by itself until finally a circuit board burned out
    it was good for three years it is a "shame " on how RCA doeas not stand behind its product
    count me in if there is a class action suit. and just for the hell of it I will never buy any RCA products again...

• Ci
      2nd of Sep, 2008

Wow. i have had my rca for almost 4 years. paid over 2000.00 for it. now all of the sudden, the power wont come it. and yes it blinks on and off in the same 3 pattern. it takes me hours to get the thing to come on, but once it is on, i have no problems out of it till i turn it off for the night and try to get it to come back on the next day. if you guys find out what the problem is, please let me know. i dont have the money to fix the thing right now with our vacation coming up.

• Am
      3rd of Sep, 2008

Well this just seems to be an ever lasting problem with RCA mine too was bout in 2005 though and just a few months ago went out. I had an instructor at the college I work at look it over and he can not figure it out. He can not go any further because he can not find a full schematic to keep looking. I am furious because I do not have the money to fix the darn thing and I also do not have the money to buy a new one!!!

• Sh
      23rd of Sep, 2008

we also bought an rca 52 inch model d52w20 october 2004 and this year 2008 around july the green light comes on and blinks off and on 3 times like everyone else had said. i tried looking for solutions on line and they talk about the flyback 259296 or the cp 150 capictor but who knows where to get it and how to fix it. Might as well buy another TV but not an RCA...

• Je
      24th of Sep, 2008

i to have a problem with my 52 inch rca i have the three differant colors blue red yellow and tv bows in from the middle i to would like any info on this class action suit thanks

• Ke
      19th of Oct, 2008

I also have the same problem. Mine went out about 1 year after i got it and it was fixed for free. Now I guess its on me. Let me know about this suit if you don't mind, I think that 1600 is way to much to pay for crap.

• Ba
      25th of Oct, 2008

i got my RCAHDTV 2 years ago, when i press power the green light turns on then off 3 times, and thats it! when it first did this every once in awhile it would finally turn on after trying dozens of times, but then 1 day the power went out and since then it wont power up at all!! i think RCA owes it's customers to fix this problem or give us back our money for the tv ! thats just not right to spen 1, 000 dollars for a tv to last only 2-3 years for most of its customers! class action suit needs to be filed! ASAP, BECAUSE THEY DON'T DO ANYTHING TO FIX THIS PROBLEM FORM ALL THE REPLIES I HAVE READ ONLINE ABOUT THIS VERY SAME PROBLEM.