Choice Hotels International Logo

Choice Hotels International

Having problems with Choice Hotels International?

132 400 (Australia)
1800 500 600 (Ireland)
1800 364 6835 (Mexico)
800 616 1147 (Singapore)
+1 877 424 6423 (Hotel Reservations)
+1 888 221 6039 (Vacation Rental Reservations)
+1 800 300 8800 (Customer Relations)
+1 800 521 2121 (Choice Privileges Reservations)
+1 888 770 6800 (Choice Privileges Service Center)
+1 866 263 2058 (Choice Privileges Visa)
+1 866 599 5070 (Barclaycard Customer Service)
+1 866 291 9816 (Customer Service, Spanish)
+1 800 267 3837 (Customer Service, French)
+1 800 654 6200 (Customer Service, International Languages)
+44 800 444 444 (United Kingdom)
+64 800 803 524 (New Zealand)
+31 800 022 4852 (Netherlands)
+852 800 962 532 (Hong Kong)
6811 E Mayo Blvd, Suite 100
Phoenix, Arizona
United States - 85054-3119

Complaints & Reviews

crooks

I reserved a room at the hotel for a dog show we were attending held on May 10 and 11th. The hotel was advertised on the back of the dog show premium list as pet friendly. Upon arrival we check in and get our suite(#322). It had no toilet paper and the carpet was nasty. We bring our dogs in and go to unload the car and the clerk tells us there is a "situation". The building doesn't allow dogs because it serves breakfast. I told them I was coming for the dog show and had dogs at the time of the reservation. They moved us from our suite to a small room(#214). We are sound asleep and at 4:30 a.m. there is a loud crashing noise and my husband screams. When I turn on the light I see that the picture above the bed fell off the wall hit the head board and fell on my husband's head. Shattering glass imbedded in my husband's shoulder and glass shards 6"-10" long all over his neck and upper torso and all over the bed, pillows and dog blanket. I removed the glass from my husband's neck so my husband could move and I could clean his wound. I went to get assistance and bandages but the desk clerk didn't know where a first aid kit was. She tried to be helpful but was new to the job and was the only one on duty. They moved us to another room(#217). Again no toilet paper. We went to the front desk at least 3 times to get the manager or owner, or anyone in charge to come to the room and meet with us. The clerk couldn't give us an extra blanket or sheet to replace my dogs blanket now imbedded in glass because she'd "get fired". I asked her to call the manager/owner and she tried several times. When she finally reached the owner we were told to return after the dog show in the afternoon to discuss this mess, the owner was too busy with a "little one". We return and, again, no manager, no owner. The desk clerk said she couldn't call the owner again on their cell phone because she'd "be fired". We were told to go to the other hotel that the owner has, Econo Lodge, we did not go. We went to our room and found my husbands personal pillow lying on the dirty hallway floor. At appx. 2:30 with no one in authority, in sight, I went and found a room at a competitor's hotel. So we moved again. We had a nice room and they actually had breakfast and pet friendly room. The owner of this hotel is Ms. Patel. Choice hotels, who is the Franchisor was of no help and told me it's not their responsability to provide a sheet or blanket for dogs, even though mine is now filled with glass. We got a "gee whiz" "I'm sorry" letter from Ms. Patel telling us how seriously they take our complaint and offering us a free nights stay. What a crock!!! I plan on contacting the AG's office and am happy to discuss this. This is not the only problem we encountered here and several other people in the hotel were complaining about their stay!

• Ab
    ABC Aug 26, 2009

I made on line reservations for $90.00 per night based on photos and descriptions of the hotel. When I got there I was very disappointed. The room was filthy & it smelled + I did not feel secure leaving my car in the parking lot none the less staying there with my family due to the people loitering in the parking lot. I explained the situation with the desk clerk and he informed me that there is nothing that he can do about a refund. During all this a woman was checking in with a newspaper coupon for $15.00 less for the same type of room. After 15 minutes of phone calls I was told that it was not possible to give me a refund. I explained that I was not staying the night and I want a refund. They would not budge. I refused to give up and called to speak to the manager who said that it was not possible, but I did not give up and kept insisting about the refund, seeing that I was not ready to come out of the shoe he agreed to give me discount and vouchers worth $45.00 for future bookings". I agreed. When I received my credit card statement they inflated the room charge to $135.00 then gave the 50% discount. I immediately called American Express & disputed the overcharge & I was redeemed. Oh! by the way...I never received any vouchers in the mail. STAY AWAY FROM THESE CROOKS. They should look up the meaning of the word Guaranteed like they state in their advertisements.

• Ho
    HotinVAUS Oct 08, 2009

As long as this site is opperational, I will tell patrons, DO NOT stay at indian ran or owned properties. You will not get your moneys worth at all!

Marty Bartlett Jul 14, 2015

We stayed at the Comfort Inn OK130 on July 1st. The room was very nice, my complaint was when I get up to use the restroom in the middle of the night there were cockroaches in the bathroom. When we got up to pack there was another cockroach on the bed. I spoke to the person at the desk and he said thanks, we will take care of it. So, if you are going to stay at this hotel please ask if they have exterminated room 306

Front desk

I stayed at the Econo Lodge in Cornelius NC. I was there under contract from Duke Energy. When I checked in i stated that I was there under Duke Energy. Was suppose to have gotten the Duke rate. After staying there for 2 weeks i checked out and asked did I get the Duke rate the lady at the desk told me no I didn't check in under Duke. Told her I did she then got rude and told me it was my tough luck to bad. I work with a company that travels all over the east coast working at power plants. They will be told
not to stay at a Econo Lodge due to this hotel.

• Lo
    lorne Heward Oct 17, 2013

I stayed at the enconolodge in Montmagny Que, on the 13 th of Oct 2013
    Not a Nice stay the bed was not changed and dirty, The front desk responded quickly with clean sheets, and left as she forgot her phone and never returned. Leaving us to change our own sheet, the cleaning staff didnt do a very good job. Not sure i will ever stay there again, i would like a response thank-you

bed bugs

We spent two free nights at this hotel over the Labor Day Weekend (2009). The lodging was free because we had...

1 comment Altavista Hotels

Smelly, noisy, unsafe hotel

On Thursday, August 13, I made a reservation on the internet for the Hillsboro, Oregon Econolodge. Not five minutes later I realized that I hadn't put the correct day (1 night) so I cancelled the reservation. I then called the Hillsboro Econolodge and made a reservation for the correct night, after they assured me that the other reservation "wasn't in the system" and I wouldn't be charged twice.

The hotel room was stuffy and stunk like wet carpet and cleaning agents. There was mildew on the shower knob. We went to bed aroun 10:30 and that's when the party next door started. Laughing, giggling, girls coming in and out, doors closing/opening, little "secret" knocks and more giggles, you get the picture. Loud talking, laughing and whatever partiers do was going on. My teenaged daughters and I were subjected to this and did not call the front desk as we were afraid. And quite frankly, I got the feeling that there was a lot more going on at the hotel than meets the eye. We were very afraid.

Trying to sleep, the refrigerator had a really loud buzzing sound, so I turned it off. We turned on the air/fan attempting to drown out the party. A lot of unscrupulous people were about and that includes the desk clerk. No thank you, Hillsboro, Econolodge. NEVER AGAIN.

Then I get home and checked my bank account online to find out that I WAS charged twice for the room. It didn't matter that I cancelled within five minutes. It wouldn't have mattered if I cancelled in 1 minute from the time I made the reservation. You, see, you CAN'T cancel a reservation for Econolodge. They refuse to reimburse you and if they decide to, you still have to pay $25 of it to them. This place is a ripoff, fraud, and very dishonest. Their "policy" states that you CAN'T make mistakes in tiny writing at the bottom of their site. So it brings the question, why did the manager say that my reservation "never went through." These people are a disgrace not only to the hotel industry, but to anyone who has the misfortune of doing "business" with them as their business is consumer fraud.

• Bo
    bobtheman Sep 03, 2009

You should have called the front desk. If you wouldn't do that, then call the police. And if you wouldn't do that, then leave and go find a good hotel and report this Econolodge to the franchise.

Discriminatioon & Refund Policy

My daughter went off to college this year and I arrived at this econo lodge at the Marion Il, location to...

Double charge

I traveled to EconoLodge (OH430) in Worthington, OH for a high school wrestling tournament on 3/5/09. Two rooms were reserved by the team coordinator. Upon check in, I requested to reserve my own room as the motel was empty and I wished to use my AAA discount. The clerk assured me I had the lowest rate available--lower than the AAA rate. Upon check out, I was amazed to see that my VISA had been charge double the nightly room rate and more than double the AAA rate. The clerk would not give me her name or a room receipt. She would only write her initials ("BR") on my VISA receipt. I have contacted customer service to no avail. I received a form letter apology by email addressed to "Dear ___." In the letter, the general manager, Bob Patel, said it would not happen with future customers. I also received $50 in Econoldge coupons which I have no use for.
I would like to be reimbursed for the $100 for which I was deliberately overcharged.

• Dl
    dlakers Aug 11, 2009

When you check into a room they make you sign the registration card which shows the room rate on it. What did it say?

SPIDERS

AFTER DRIVING ALL DAY FROM TENN WE STOPPED ON ROUTE 16 AND GOT A ROOM AT THE ECONO LODGE. THE ROOM WAS VERY HOT WE PUT ON THE AIR AND IT TOOK ABOUT 45 MIN. TO COOL DOWN. WE WERE EXHAUSTED, I JUST LAID ON THE TOP OF THE SPREAD AND WATCHED TV, AS I WAS LAYING THERE A BIG BROWN SPIDER WAS WALKING TOWARD ME ON THE BED. MY HUSBAND KILLED IT. HOPING IT WAS THE ONLY ONE AND BEING TO TIRED TO START DRIVING AGAIN WE DECIDED TO STAY. A HALF HOUR LATER ANOTHER BIG BROWN SPIDER CAME OUT AND MY HUSBAND KILLED THAT ONE TOO. THEN, AFTER ABOUT 35 MINUTES, A BIG BLACK SPIDER WAS RUNNING ACROSS THE WALL, WHEN MY HUSBAND TRIED TO KILL THAT ONE IT WAS WAY TOO FAST AND HE COULDN'T GET IT. THAT WAS THE LAST STRAW, WE DECIDED TO LEAVE, KNOWING WE WOULDN'T GET ANY SLEEP THERE. I WENT TO THE FRONT AND TOLD THE CLERK THE ROOM HAD 3 SPIDERS AND WE WERE NOT STAYING, HE TOLD ME WE HAD TO PAY FOR THE ROOM AS WE WERE THERE FOR 2 HOURS. I TOLD HIM WE WERE NOT STAYING AND I WANTED HIM TO SIGN MY RECEIPT AS TO WHAT TIME WE TURNED IN THE ROOM KEYS AND LEFT. HE REFUSED, SAYING WE COULD HAVE SHOWERED AND TAKEN A NAP AND WERE READY TO GO. I TOLD HIM HE COULD CHECK THE THE ROOM, WE HAD NOT TAKEN A SHOWER OR A NAP AS WE WERE BUSY LOOKING FOR SPIDERS. HIS REPLY WAS EVERYONE HAS SPIDER, YOU CAN'T GO 10 FEET WITHOUT SEEING A SPIDER, YOU HAVE SPIDERS IN YOUR HOME EVERYONE DOES. I TOLD HIM I DON'T HAVE SPIDERS IN MY HOME, HE INSISTED I DO AS EVERYONE DOES. WE LEFT, DROVE TO ROUTE 95, TOOK THE FIRST EXIT THAT HAD MOTELS AND STAYED AT THE QUALITY INN. NO SPIDER! VERY NICE CLEAN ROOM.

Misrepensation

Reservations for 15 people (7 adults) (8 children ranging 2yrs to 9 yrs). Requested to have 3 side by side rooms. Stated by clerk was no problem. Was told credit card to hold reservation. Gave info requested . Was told even though check in 4 pm could leave luggage in room and go. Was told free shuttle to water park running every 15 minutes. I BELIEVED YOU! Now what I got was, none of the rooms were ready, had to take luggage with us. Did not get 3 rooms side by side. One on different floor. Irons in 2 of the 3 rooms did not work. Was told would bring to room in 10 minutes. 30 minutes later we were checking out and iron was brought to room. Request manager stated would not be in till Monday. Called Monday and Angel Velez (Manager) gave every excuse for what was told to us. Request coperate and he was quick to tell me, there would be no reimbursement. Gave coperate # [protected] INCORRECT. If you need Commercial roofong call them. Very Nice!!. Went online for coperate, was told wrong# transfered 8 times (Twice had to call back) and ended up back at orlando hotel talking to Mr.Newbold- General Manger. Quick to state no guarentees on room reservations. Iron was replaced. (for next customer) and then asked was there an adult in room with kids?? As stated 8 kids, 2yrs, 5yrs, (3) 6yrs 7yrs, 8yrs and 9yrs. David (Clerk) stated was shuttle for fee per person. NEVER will I book a Econolodge . You get Excuses and Poor Service. Lies and the Runaround.

severe mistreatment

We held a family reunion here July 10- July 12. Our family had a block of reserved rooms. I was one of the hostesses of the reunion. I checked into the motel around 10 am on July 10th. I tried at that time to check in my two children and families and to pay for the whole weekend. I was told I would have to pay when we checked out. My daughter and family arrived around 2 pm and had no problems. My son arrived around 8pm and they had not only given his room away (which I had guaranteed) but they had no rooms left. They said they had tried to call me but my husband was in the room the whole time and NO ONE called. They said my credit card had been rejected. I had recently been issued a new credit card with a new number because my card had been suspected of being exposed to fraudulent activity. The credit card company sent me a new card and closed the old account through no fault of my own. I explained this when I checked in. I had made the reservations with the old card that had been closed. So I gave my new credit card to them at the desk. They failed to put in the new number. When my son was denied a room they were very rude to him and wouldn't even explain the problem until he called me. I was out to dinner, but left immediately to try to rectify the problem. When I went to the front desk, the clerk was also rude to me and kept saying it was my fault because my credit card was denied. They were using the old number that had indeed been closed. Only after I requested to talk to the manager did the clerk become more friendly. He was gone so she called him at home. He told me the same thing, that there was nothing he could do but he would look into it in the morning. I told him that this was the second reunion my family had held here and I could assure him we would take our business elsewhere in the future. I was very upset! The manager did return and brought my son back from the hotel he had been sent to. He however, gave him a room that had a shower and air=conditioner that didn't work. Then he acted like he did me a favor. I feel like I should not even have had to pay for that horrible room. Unless Quality Inn does something in the way of an apology, we will never stay at one again. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

harissment

My Husband, our two kids 7-months and 18-months went on a vacation up to nebraska for a couple of days to see...

bugs, customer service, ammenities

I recently booked a reservation through Travelocity at the Melbourne Econolodge for Friday, June 12th. Upon...

noise, threats, no assistance

On June 15, 2009 My Mother and I traveled from Illinois to Morehead, Kentucky because of a family tragedy. Upon our arrival we chose to stay at this Motel and rent 2 rooms. (120 and 108) were rented to us. Room 108 wasn't even ready (no sheets/blankets) on bed, and 120 was worse. The noise was ungodly! I attempted to call and did to complain about whoever was making the noise and the assist. said he would take care of the noise. He didn't. I attempted to make another attempt by phone and my phone didn't work in the room 120 so I walked to the front desk and complained the noise was from room 119. Upon my return to room 120 a man walking into room 119 started threatening me with fist up and dancing around, "come on mother ###er" wanna be tough... No i responded just you guys have to turn down that noise. Mistake! I went to the front desk and again nothing was done!!

The next night, tonight, same thing (trouble).
The little ### who wanted to start the fight (night before) was standing in front of lobby desk smoking a cigar and spouts out with, "whats your problem tonight" ? I don't have to answer you, I responded and i turned to the desk worker...can i be moved to another room? It's the noise...can't handle it.
Nope, he said. We're all booked up here and these are our construction workers who are staying...
That's a rip off I thought to myself!
I paid for these rooms on my girlfriends credit card and now this ###!!
And, the rooms weren't even ready. And, have to be in fear of getting assulted by Hotel workers and or other guest with no protection!

This is the absolute worst situation I've ever faced and A complaint is being made to the Better Business Bureau and A Private Atty.

I believe a refund is due and ordinances should be installed against this establishment to prevent further incidents from happening.

Jeanette Jensen/William Kiser
1406 N Ann St.
Pontiac, Illinois

Telephone
[protected]

noise, threats, no assistance

Quality Inn
  • binder Jun 18, 2009

Yeah you look really broken up over the whole ordeal.

• Ho
    Homeserviceguy Jul 08, 2009

You get what you pay for.
    If you need a classy service then you may try Marriott or Holiday Inn. Hilton is Also a good place to stay.
    Motel is just an alternative to sleeping in your own station wagon.

And also, was that your mother or your girlfriend with you? Im a little confused.

• Dl
    dlakers Jul 10, 2009

What fraud?...lol...

Rude General Manager

I went to Econolodge to apply for a position. I filled out the application there and went back to the front...

rip off

A few months ago they made some crazy offer for me to try out a program and said I would receive a gas card...

Charge for NonUse of Rooms Cancelled

I cancelled a reservation fourteen days prior and was told that they had a 15 day cancellation policy. I never had this in writing and they still charged me FULL price for two rooms for two nights--$860.00. I tried the credit card company and they tried to get my money back. I filed a complaint with NY State Attorney General and still they wont budge. I am irate and would like to tell Syracuse U. to no longer recommend this hotel. When I called 1-800-ECONOLODGE they also knew nothing of this policy. I had asked for confirmation letter when I booked and never received it. I am appalled and still looking into all avenues to get my money back. I would like to advise everyone to never use an Econolodge hotel if they know whats good for them

• Ha
    hairyarmedgorilla Apr 08, 2009

I suggest you file a complaint with your CC company. This is what is known as services not rendered. Because a motel is not a tangible product that you can hold in your hand, it then becomes a service. If you did not receive the service, you have a right to have your money back.

fraudulent billing

My husband checked in to the Econolodge 1/3/2009 at 9:30 pm checked out the next a.m at 5:30. We received 2 seperate charges on the 3rd and again on the 8th. The desk clerk who can barely manage English can not find us in the computer when she finally does says yes, yes you stay 2 nights. I say don't be silly of course we didn't an error has been made, now I'm still fully expecting my refund an an apology-not so fast I am not even permitted to speak to the owner/manager Saeed so I call the corporate office to complain. Evidently they don't care about me or my complaint either they said my husband registered for 2 nights we have to pay for 2 nights. Still expecting my refund and an apology because I mistakenly think they want my business I said o.k so it was a mistake on our part but since we did not stay in your hotel, use your resources or cause you to lose business snce the hotel was not full can I have my refund? Corporate HQ tells me to go pound salt-guess they don't want my business after all. Please, oh please don't give them yours either. It's not like you'll be missing out on a spa like experience or anything. Take your $101.99 to another cheap hotel that is not part of the Choice International chain. Thank you, Nancy Williams

not canceling a reservation when it was requested

Made a reservation on Dec. 12, 2008 because there was an ice storm in upstate NY and we had lost power. After making the reservation our plans changed and I called and said I wanted to cancel the reservation. The person who took my call was talking to me while she was talking to someone else in the background. She proceeded to tell me that the computer was down and she would take my name and make the cancellation a little later when the computer came back. Well, needless to say, she did not do what she said she was going to do. My credit card was charged $85. I called to fix the "mistake" and was told that I didn't call to cancel that's why my card was charged and that the computer was not down on that day, even though that is what I was told by the pre-occupied person at the front desk who answered the phone. I have contacted Choice Hotels Customer Relations and filed a complaint. I am still trying to get a hold of a manager at this hotel. I was told that the owners of the hotel are in India. Great huh?! They have 7-10 days to get back to me after the complaint is filed. I will continue to call to get my credit of $85. And I will NEVER make another reservation at an Econo Lodge .

• Di
    Disgusted in California May 18, 2009

I am just beginning a battle with an "Econo Lodge" in Monterey, CA. I was also charged for a room I did not stay in. I was mislead by the manager and the room smelled of a pungent odor which I believe was some kind of chemical used to cover up another odor which could be any source unknown. My friend has respiratory allergies and we were only standing in the room for about 2 minutes. We went elsewhere after returning the keys, and were told the room was "used" and they had a receipt (for the charge to my credit card) that said I had checked in!! Unbelievable!! Bad service, unclean rooms and misleading me about use of a roll away bed...I am not going to sit back and take this abuse of a profit hungry motel franchise that has NO customer service skills!!

bad service

On 9/1/08, my wife and I, who are seasoned travelers, checked into the Quality Inn & Suites in Torrington, CT. The first room we were assigned was next to a noisy laundry room around back of the motel. The room smelled musty. The bathroom had a large round (the size of a basketball) mildew/moldy patch on the ceiling above the tub. The room, although marked �Non Smoking�, smelled of stale smoke.

We requested another room, and were assigned one in a dark corner, which also smelled musty. This room too smelled of smoke even though it was �Non Smoking�. It also had a loose toilet seat that almost slid me onto the floor after snapping my back when I sat on it shortly after entering the room.

The third room assigned to us at first seemed acceptable. However, after being in the room for a short time, it became obvious that this room was terrible as far as our comfort and convenience were concerned. I have listed some of the things wrong with this room.

Bathroom

The bolts that were holding down the toilet were sticking up out of the floor about two inches, with no caps on them. This could cause someone�s foot to be cut open. The water level in the toilet was so high that it came in contact with one�s skin upon sitting on the seat. The tub had mold around most edges and joints, there were large chips in the porcelain, and the shower curtain was slimy. The floor had cracked and broken tiles. The sink was broken away from the wall and was sloping forward so nothing could be put on the back or the edges of the sink. The woodwork and door were scratched and stained.

Bedroom

The carpet was stained and dirty. There was much dust behind the nightstands and under the desk. The windows were dirty, the iron holder was broken out of the wall, there were cobwebs on the walls, the upholstery on the stuffed chair was ripped, and the drapes were such that they blocked the air from the AC.

Outside

The ice machine was located on a very small, unlit room accessible from the parking lot. I was most uncomfortable that the room was so dark, since there had been a couple of unsavory looking people sitting on benches around the parking lot when we checked in while it was still daylight.

In conclusion, we spent a most uncomfortable night at this facility. Based on this experience, we will not stay at another Choice Hotel ever again unless something extraordinary is done to compensate us for this unpleasant experience.

I enclose a copy of our statement. As a minimum, I would expect to receive a full refund of $90.71.

harrassement and bullying at work

I was promoted to a new positon, three weeks ago. That when the harrassment started employees were throwing...

accused of theft of linen

Charged our credit card $25.00 for theft of towel/washcloth. We did not steal linen. When we called to ask...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices