Choice Home Warrantycompany will not honor contract

B Review updated:

In October I purchased a home warranty to cover my heating system over the phone. The company charged my credit card immediately and I received a contract in the mail but it had no contrat number on it. The guy on the phone stated that the contract would start 30 days later. The expiration date was listed as 11/27/2009.
Last Saturday both of my circulators on my boiler stopped working. It was 4 degrees out and I had no heat. I made several phone calls and sent emails via their website and through my own email. No one called me all weekend. Finally on Tuesday a repair person called me. He was dispached earlier that day. He came out on Friday morning and looked at my system and filed a report for repairs. He just called me on Monday night to tell me the company will not cover any repairs. WTF. Luckily I poked and prodded until I got the pump working again or I would have had no heat all week. I am disgusted with this company. The people on the phone were rude and didn't understand that I had no heat all weekend. I want my money back or I want them to fix my heat. I will never use this company again. Please beware. They will promise you anything and not deliver. BEWARE!

• Updated by Tim Hayes · Aug 08, 2018

had 2 claims one on a/c unit another on pool heater both claims denied but were covered by another warranty company. don't waste your money with choice home warranty any big claim will be denied..

• Updated by Naqvi Nawab · Aug 18, 2019

House air condition is not working since afternoon of 18 august 2019

• Fr
    Frank Feb 04, 2009

I am running into the same problem with these people. Incredibly evasive and argue about anything that they represented originally. I just called with a problem with heating system noise and they told me to call someone else to ck it out, that they don't do service calls unless the system is totally broken. So the $45 service fee bit is false to begin with since they don't do service. So now I'm in the process of calling my own hvac person to ck it out so that I can "submit" a diagnosis of the problem to see if it is something actually broken that they will cover. This is not what was represented when I purchased the contracts (2 of them). These people argue and treat you like you shouldn't have called them and tell you that they are not a maintenance company, and that if you need service you need to call someone else. Now I will get someone on my own to ck the system out, and see where it goes from here, but right now it isn't looking very promising. It's looking like they are set up to get your money on the contract and then do everything they can to get out of ever doing anything that they promised originally.

• Jj
    JJJConsumer Mar 10, 2009

I have created a user group Choice Home Warranty Claims, please come and join if you have experienced difficulties with this company. I am also looking for co-plaintiffs in a lawsuit.

Mangesh Rajadhyaksha Jul 20, 2018

@JJJConsumer They are scam . My air conditioner broke. Need repairing compressor. I filed the claim. They asked for maintenance record. I submitted last 5 years of record about every year tune up and the service dates. My claim is not yet answered after submitting the data.

• Mi
    Misty Bull Sep 12, 2018

@JJJConsumer I am experiencing similar problems. They denied my claim because they said it was pre existing because I had only had my policy for a short period of time. I had never had any issues with my unit until the compressor went out unexpectedly with no sign of problems Now after they denied it they will not respond to phone calls or emails. my case now shows closed

• Ph
    PhLiss Perry-Ionescu Sep 23, 2018

@JJJConsumer I will submit to a lawsuit.

• Li
    Linkhorn Jul 22, 2009

They ARE A SCAM!!! Not liscensed to do business in the state of Virginia!!! Am writing to Virginia's Bureau of Insurance...Call 1-877-310-6560 or go to web at www.scc.virginia.gov/boi. If EVERYONE COMPLAINS maybe something can be done to SHUT THESE SCAM ARTISTS DOWN!!! Again Call 1-877-310-6560

• Bo
    Bobs Repair Nov 04, 2009

BS!!! I did service ffor 7 jobs, got the authorizations, submitted the invoices, got told by that digbat Erica Green that a check was sent five times, and here I am still holding my azz waiting for my money. Choice is a scam.

I spoke to you, and all you could say was calm down.

I am calm. Ive gotten over not being paid. Its a writeoff, just like Choice is. Ive told every person Ive meet about my experience with Choice Home Warranty and then showed them what others said about Choice. So far, I lost $400...Choice is out about $6000. More to come.

Blog about your experiences people. I do one blog or report every day. When and if I get my money Ill stop. Until then, I post my storry.

Bobs

• Ti
    titan boy Feb 16, 2010

I also did service for this company here in vegas got the authorization, submited the invoices and also got told by Erika Green my check was on the mail since aug 2009 is feb 2010 and guess what? ... i have not get paid !!
    I do not know how this company keeps in bussines, two of the local service companies also let me know choice home warranty owes them over 6, 000.00 .
    customers be aware if they do not pay us who is going to service you ?

any questions? write me [email protected]

joe.nova May 04, 2010

We are an HVAC Contractor in Northern VA, and have had nothing but problem after problem with this company.
    I truly believe they are SCAM ARTISTS. I have had our customers call us and literally be in TEARS because this company will not honor ANYTHING, and there is nothing I can do about it. They are rude and deceitful(especially Erica Green), and we already in the hole $1, 000+ and I doubt my company will ever see the money that they owe us. Please be aware and do not accept any business from the people.

• Vg
    VGC Mar 23, 2011

I am having a similar problem with this company. The AC broke and they want me to submit maintence reports for it. They said that it has to be maintained every season according to the guidelines of my particular AC unit. This is completely unture, recommendation is once a year. The tech told them that the problem is due to normal wear and tear which is specifically covered in the contract, but they wont even process the claim until I submit maintaince reports. It does not say in anywhere in the contract that this is required by them. I pointed it out that they were wrong and the customer service guy "Mike" just started yelling at me and saying that he wouldn't help me.

• I am having a similar problem with this company. The company refuse to pay for my refrigerator, a part went out and the repairman could not get the part any more because Maytag no longer make the part so the refrigerator could not be fix. They would not replace the refrigerator responding that they would only pay for the part. I am with out a refrigerator at this point.

• Je
    JedwardC Jun 29, 2016

I've got a problem with my washer, needs a computer board, and CHW won't repair it but offered me $300.00. I guess to go away. I was with American Home shield for years, since 03, I never had a problem, got a new A/C unit, swimming pool filter equipment, microwave with no questions asked. So a guy calls me up one day in March 2016 and talked me into switching over to CHW, with their low co-pay and yearly contract price, sounded like a good deal. Bad Mistake.

jack kepple Jun 20, 2018

Definitely a scam operation, my ac quit working took five days to get a repairman to look at it. diagnosed the problem called chw to get authorization waited an hour and twenty minutes for them to tell him it was not covered. Now five hundred and fifty dollars later i have ac. DO NOT BUY A WARRANTY FROM THESE PEOPLE

• So
    Sonia A. Mills Wolfrom Jul 26, 2018

Fraudulent, dishonest and unreputable company. No wonder the New Jersey Attorney General's office obtained an 818 dollar settlement to repay all of the consumers they betrayed. This is their false advertising phone recording. I've listened to it twice when on hold for three hours each. They automatically disconnect you at three hours.

The failure of Case Manager, Christine Evans to get back with me is unacceptable. The robots that answer the calls and send a generic message including a message stating I am being denied coverage for a water heater when the issue is an air conditioner, and the ability of no one to answer the phone at Choice Home Warranty, leaves me no choice but to pursue assistance through other entities. This is not an avenue I want to pursue but Choice will not respond and leaves me no Choice. Choice is in default at this point for failure to respond in a timely manner. This is terrible customer service and a terrible experience.

******************************************
    Recordings while you are on hold:
    Remember you are eligible to purchase Choice Home Warranty coverage regardless of the age of your home or appliances. In fact, no home inspection is required. Please continue to hold, and a representative will be with your momentarily.

Have you tested your smoke alarm lately? Did you know the US Fire administration recommends checking your smoke alarm monthly. The safety of your family comes first. Please continue to hold. One of our staff members will be with you shortly.

You never know for certain when a system or appliance in your home will break down, but sooner or later, everything wears out whether it's your heating system or a dishwasher. Nothing lasts forever. Choice Home Warranty provides peace of mind coverage for your home. Please continue to hold, and your call will be handled in the order in which it was received. Thank you.

Protect your air conditioning systems. Make sure you trim shrubs and plants near the outdoor condensing unit to ensure proper air flow and circulation. Please continue to hold one our staff members will be with you shortly.

Get more without paying more from Choice Home Warranty. Did you know that you can get free service by referring your family and friends to us? Ask a member of our staff how it works. Please continue to hold, and a representative will be with you momentarily.

Choice Home Warranty requires that you maintain your home systems and appliances according to the manufacturer's specifications.
    Don't get excluded from coverage due to maintenance. Please continue to hold, one of our friendly staff members will be with you shortly.

We believe CHW home warranties are the most comprehensive, flexible and value-priced on the market. We do everything to help you get back on track. That's the choice home warranty difference. Please continue to hold and your call will be answered in the order in which it was received. Thank you.

Prolong the lifespan of your systems. Air conditioning systems and furnaces require periodic maintenance in order to ensure coverage. For example, clean your evaporator and condenser coils and replace your filters. We appreciate your patience while on hold and we will be with you in a moment.

Choice Home Warranty is committed to providing you the best service. Our secret is simple, to provide a positive customer service experience and ensure loyalty for all our customers, contractors and employees. We are sorry to keep you waiting and will be with shortly.

Did you know that you can ensure coverage and expand the life of your water heater, by flushing the sediment periodically? Refer to your owner's manual for instructions. Please continue to hold and your call will be answered in the order in which it was received. Thank you.
    *******************************

Lies, lies and lies. How can these people stay in business and why doesn't the government do something to prevent companies from doing these kind of fraudlent acts?

• So
    Sonia A. Mills Wolfrom Jul 26, 2018

Does anyone have any remedies that have worked for them? I'm starting with:

New Jersey Attorney General's Office
    Texas Real Estate Commission
    The Texas Licensing and Regulations Board

If you have others, feel free to contact me at: [email protected]

• Ti
    Tim Hayes Aug 15, 2018

08-06-18 normal wear and tear on a/c coil and claim for a 25+ yr unit was denied and the technician said it needed to be replaced. said unit was rusty which coils had no rust on them. also denied claim for pool heater which was covered by another home warranty company.

• Ll
    LLakeman Aug 20, 2018

Last year unit not cooling. Contacted Choice Warranty. They contacted Ga. Allied Systems and wanted them to replace coil with a 401A coil which does not match refrigerant and will cause compressor to burn out in 3-5 years and void coverage. CHW then offered $400 to repair a $1500 expense. Please contact Allied Services for photos, etc. REPAIR AC.

• Ke
    ken wycoff Sep 10, 2018

A/C unit leaking at u bends in coil, Choice says it's due to rust and corrosion. could not be further from the truth.

This company is a total scam operation!

• Ro
    Rosie628 Sep 19, 2018

I'm having the same trouble with Choice, the 30-year-old compressor is rusty (they never asked for the age of any of my appliances) so the problem is outside of normal wear and tear. I've owned the home for only 3 years and have had it serviced twice for a new fan motor and blades and capacitor. Their advertisement that if they can't fix it they'll replace is misleading and false. The contractor warned me that if they see rust they'll deny the claim.

• Do
    dozer2017 Oct 21, 2018

These Mfs are a bunch of liars and scam artist. they do not like to cover anything for customers they lie to vendors and dont like to pay them as well the vendor relations/acct management are very unprofessional and no nothing about the trade they need to be stopped asap.

• De
    Debbie Hakimian Oct 27, 2018

My compressor on my refrigerator broke. They came and told me that it is absolutely covered. The company then called me and said that they don't cover the freezer portion of the refrigerator. I am absolutely livid. They then offered me $215 to just walk away and fix the claim myself.

• Br
    Brenda Barran Nov 04, 2018

5-star home service inc. was given this work order and the job is still not right. Please send some one else to complete this job. The company that you sent just put an band aide on the problem. I just want it handled probably. Please see pics attached.

Thanks! Not a happy customer

• Bu
    bustertwoO2 Nov 14, 2018

will not pay claim, compressor stop working they claim dust in the bottom the outer cover cause the sealed compressor to fail. the unit is outside with vents if i cleaned this daily dust would accumulate immediately. I had this unit service less than two months ago. Their representative did not see any problem with the unit when serviced

• La
    Larry E. Spicer Jan 26, 2019

Choice Home Warranty is terrific at promising you things they can't wait to deny when you file a claim! Take their phrase "If we can't fix it, we will replace it." with what it is worth...absolutely NOTHING! They fight any expensive repairs aggressively despite accepting your money and telling you anything to get you to purchase their plan. It is hard to believe they are rated highly; obviously those who have been denied services and who have thrown their money at what was suppose to be an economical solution to a problem were not consulted. There are indeed so many that trusted Choice Home Warranty who no longer do. TRhere is a tremendous gap between that which they promise and that which is delivered. It is a JOKE but I am not laughing!

Sammy 88 Feb 11, 2019

Worst "company" ever. We were not paid, as a contractor for our work from them. In fact, they made the homeowner pay me for all but $55, which they were supposed to pay. Phone calls to them are answered by dullards with no customer service skills.

• Al
    Alice Carrillo Feb 12, 2019

I had a three-year contract. When they would not fix my hot water tank, so I asked for a refund. I had over two years left on it. They told me that the rest of the money would go toward fees. Anyway, they cancelled and kept my money. It is about $600. I guess there is no help for this situation.

• Da
    Dan769 May 01, 2019

When they determined cost to repair was too high, they denied the claim and only offered $399. to close claim. They are supposed to repair or replace the washer, but they refused to the repair and/ or replace the washer.

Mark DD. Jun 10, 2019

I purchased a policy for my rental property and they charged me twice. When I noticed from my credit card statement, I was told one charge was for my home, which I never bought. Cancellation is nearly impossible because they transferred me to a phone number nobody picks up. Why they are allowed to do business this way. This is called fraud.

• Vb
    Vbroadway57 Jun 23, 2019

I went to the website to check it out. I decided against it. Now I get calls several times a day. I tried blocking the numbers, but they call from different numbers. It disrupts my day and aggravates me. I want the calls to STOP!!! I don't know why I need to put this in 350 characters, that is just plain stupid! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP!

• Be
    Beverly64 Aug 13, 2019

About 2 weeks I called to cancel the home warranty I have and so far it has not been credit to my account that is on file I called on Aug 7 2019 and have been hung up on supposely due to a strom per employee of company I want the refund credit to my account How much of a complaint do you want? I want a refund now

• Na
    Naqvi Nawab Aug 25, 2019

our AC is not working since from Sunday the 08/18/2019 afternoon.
    Its unbareable to stay at home in this peak summer.
    I really appriciate if you can rush some one at the earliest possibe time.

• Ka
    KAD2 Sep 15, 2019

Harassed daily by different numbers- when request to review plan in writing- told will receive once I sign up. Continue to reiterate until I can read the fine print I will not sign up- twice the CSR has hung up on me- so now they will NEVER receive my business.

• Al
    Allin Petry Oct 07, 2019

I to am having issues with choice home warranty. Only been with them a month

• Ae
    Aebleskiver Oct 07, 2019

Stop with the numerous emails after clicking on the unsubscribe link!
    Because of the several emails I've received AFTER I unsubscribed this is both frustrating and infuriating.
    I don't with to have any offers for any services you provide. I'm good, just want the nonsensical spam email to cease and desist immediately.

Noway12345 Dec 18, 2019

Hard sell pressure tactics, RUDE people. Don't do it.

madsbf37 Feb 29, 2020

A few days
    contract # 363961115
    keeps making unusual noise
    maintainence or repair service

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices