Cavalier CompanionsPuppy breeder

E Apr 29, 2020 Review updated:

I'm writing this review in hopes of saving others the heartache and expense we've experienced after purchasing a puppy from Cavalier Companions.

We chose them because they seemed reputable and had all the certifications required for this breed. Unfortunately, our puppy had inherited immune issues at 10 weeks of age and had to be hospitalized for 7 days - and then went on prednisone for 6 months. We have spent THOUSANDS of dollars in medical bills for our wonderful, sweet dog. He is not healthy and has chronic health issues that may never resolve.

At the time of his initial diagnosis of MMM (Masticatory muscle myositis), we told the breeder that the puppy they sold us had an immune disorder. (We had the dog for 3 weeks at that point). She had never heard of it; didn't offer us any help or advice; and never followed up to see how the dog was do. The problem is that she is BREEDING these dogs and the immune issue (MMM) is genetic.

PLEASE spare yourself the heartache and expense of using this breeder.

• Li
    lifeisgood6708 Mar 31, 2021

In response to the post first dated back in April 2020 from Emily Chastain;
    This complaint is severely misleading for many reasons.
    The puppy was quite a bit older than she claimed in her review (according to my phone texts) when the symptoms developed.
    I was very surprised and saddened when I read this review that was posted two years after the incident. Emily currently has this dog and and he is a healthy loving pet with some minor issues from taking prednisone. We have been in contact. Emily removed the original review from Yelp and i believe she truly has remorse for having posted it. Unfortunately, Complaint Boards took it off of Yelp and Emily cannot remove it.
    When Emily first contacted me with the issue, I was texting and talking regularly to both her and her husband. We had good understanding communication. In 16 years I've learned alot, but had no previous experience or knowledge of MMM, so I had no advice to share, but I was available to talk to. ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT; I asked for the name of the vet and then called the vet to learn and discuss the issue.
    ...''THE VET TOLD ME that he believed the symptoms were not from anything genetic and that this puppies symptoms did not match what he had seen in other dogs with MMM. I pushed the vet for specifics and the vet gave me reason to believe that the issue was something else, not genetic. He said "there are many non genetic things that could cause these symptoms.'' The treatment was the same no matter what caused it, he explained.
    I called Emily's Husband and left a message to call me to compare notes from the vet. They never returned my call, I called twice according to my notes, and they never called me again. If they had called, I would have discussed a plan that would have been agreeable to them, even if i believed it wasn't due to breeding or care while in my home. I still would have given their money back if this is what they wanted.
    To my knowledge, at the time, the situation had been remedied. They never returned my calls.
    To be safe, (although the vet said unnecessarily), I did not breed to this dog ever again. I have never seen this disease again.
    "I do not breed these issues."
    I have people with 15 year old living dogs from me that are calling and asking for another dog. I have hundreds of text testimonials from people that are pleased with the cavalier they received from me. I have families that have five different household from dogs from me. I have neighborhoods with over five dogs from me. I love working with and breeding Cavaliers. Unfortunately most people only think to go to yelp if they are emotional or upset.
    Yelp can destroy well meaning people. Please remember that puppies are live beings, and that even excellent breeders have an occasional issue. Especially if they have been in business for 16 years.

• Rk
    RK67 Mar 31, 2021

I would not give Lynn Marie Simmons her non refundable deposit back. That is the only experience she has had with me. I had reason to believe that there was deceit involved on their end as well. She will disagree with that as we have already gone round and round on the subject. I am very clear about this up front. And, I take a smaller deposit than most breeders. Some Breeders do give half the deposIt back, but their deposit is usually much bigger than mine. Lynn Simmon's review is deceitful because it sounds as if she had other experiences with me. She did not. Breeder's take a deposit for a mutual agreement. The space is held, I was holding up my end of the agreement and she did not.

• Lm
    LMarieS Mar 30, 2021

Hi Shirley,
    Our experience with this breeder was not favorable. Before making a deposit I would recommend that you sign an agreement with the breeder.

• Lm
    LMarieS Mar 16, 2021

Do not get a dog from this breeder at any cost. Shelby is not a reputable breeder.

• Sh
    Shirley Rozier Mar 29, 2021

@LMarieS I have been in touch with this breeder to get a puppy and gave her a deposit, Can you tell me what happened and why. Are you filing a complaint and who with? Thanks so much Shirley