BookspanBookspan bookclub takes money and then terminates membership

The company (www.bookspan.com) offered me a bookclub membership in 2002 with my agreement to buy (2) books within a year.

Initially I had problems paying for the intro offer because they did not accept online payment.
Subsequently I bought one book and paid for an advance purchase voucher for the 2nd required book to be bought within a year and then was told my membership was terminated and therefore would not be receiving book offers for which to use the voucher.

Ive written several emails to the bookclub and they refuse to reactivate my membership. They tell me I must re-enroll... presumably requiring another commitment to buy. I did not see any reference to these actions in the initial offer/agreement.