Back to the CaribbeanVacation trap

I

I purchased a vacation package from Back To The Caribbean and at the time of purchase or on the contract there is no mention of cancellation. With the current economy, I called to get a refund only to find out that I am not able to cancel. I was never told that I would not be able to cancel nor is it written on any of the documents that I have received from them. Furthermore, my lawyer wrote to them and completely ignore the letter. Now I find myself having to sue them.

samdan Nov 17, 2014

I used this company three years ago. Was able to book Brandon MO but didn't want the rest of the package. We paid for it and told them to keep it. Three years later I get a charge on my card. What is going on. I have called and the machine puts you on hold for 6 minutes the tells you to leave a message. So they KEEP your credit card numbers and charge you years later... Not good..

Another_Sucker Dec 17, 2013

Anything positive on this website must be a plant as these people are reprehensible!

• Sk
    skyrider2000 Sep 19, 2013

Important FYI...BBB Warns of Deceptive Travel-Related Promotions (This article has been updated as of February, 2011.)
    Better Business Bureaus across the United States and Canada are warning consumers about an increase in deceptive travel-related offers.
    Consumers are contacting the BBB to inquire about travel companies that promise "too-good-to-be-true" travel deals. These offers arrive unexpectedly in consumers' mailboxes, or over the telephone, office fax machine or Internet.
    Typically, the consumer is told that they have won a "free" trip and must call a number to claim their prize. Or they receive a fax at their place of business promoting an unbelievable vacation deal that looks as if it came through inter-office channels. Others were contacted by someone offering a travel club membership, allegedly worth thousand of dollars.
    According to BBB experiences, some bogus promoters have been known to take consumers' money, without providing the travel or trip that was promised. Other promoters advertise rock-bottom prices, but hide certain fees until the deal is sealed. Some promise luxurious accommodations and services, but deliver far less. Still others don't reveal that the deal includes an obligation to sit through a timeshare pitch at the destination. Finally, some promoters guarantee consumers that they can get a full refund if they decide to cancel the trip, but fail to make good on their promise.
    Consumers are encouraged to obtain the names, addresses and telephone numbers for the lodgings, airlines and cruise ships advertised in a vacation promotion.
    Fraudulent travel deals can be hard to distinguish from legitimate ones. Their intent is to lure people into buying vacations that they otherwise would not consider.
    The BBB recommends that consumers get the details of the promotion in writing, including the refund and cancellation policy, before they send a check or provide credit card number information. If asked to provide a credit card or bank account number for verification or identification, the BBB says to reconsider. This information can be used to make fraudulent charges or debits to the consumer's accounts.
    If you are tempted to respond to online travel solicitations, the BBB recommends that you not judge the agency solely by the appearance of its website. Online travel scams are increasing in part because it is easy to disguise your identity in cyberspace.

This article has been updated as of February, 2011.

• Pe
    Peggy Nichols Vaccaro Aug 09, 2013

After five years, I received a telephone call tonight from Barbara from BTTC. As many have already written, our troubles began in 2008 after receiving a phone call from a representative from BTTC advising us (husband and myself) that we had "won" a 7 day, 6 night stay in Mexico, plus 4 days, 3 nights in Florida or Las Vegas. Yes, Mr. Fischer, we were told we had "won" the above trips. After going over the details with the representative (and trust me, I can and will provide more details because I do have notes & emails to prove everything I am writing), we were advised we needed to pay $500 for administrative and tax fees. That should have been the red flag for us but it wasn't. We paid $500 and our certificate for the vacation package was mailed to us. Nothing in the certificate indicated vacations were based on "availability." The only caveat I remember was having to provide 60 days notices prior to the travel date requested.

We contacted BTTC in late 2008 or early 2009 in an attempt to book the vacation to Mexico. Several telephone calls were made and messages were left, but NO ONE returned our calls. Finally, we emailed BTTC and several days later, a representative by the name of Johnnye exchanged emails with us. Again, I have saved all emails and can prove everything I am writing. Johnnye was not quick in checking our requests and in fact, was quite rude to me. My husband contacted Johnnye to satisfy any misunderstanding and rudeness. This didn't last very long as every attempt we made with Johnnye to book the Mexico vacation resulted in non-availability for the dates we wished to travel. Again, our requests were ALWAYS presented more than 60 days in advance of the time we wished to travel and we were always informed there was no availability.

After much dissatisfaction with Johnnye and her rudeness, we contacted our credit card company to report that we were not receiving what had been promised in the travel certificate. Our credit card company is American Express and we provided all documentation to them, emails, certificates, etc. AE contacted BTTC and apparently BTTC assured AE they would make good on the certificate and extend our certificate timeline for an additional year at no cost.

Five hundred dollars is a lot of money to lose and that is exactly what has occurred. The terms of the package we were promised were changed with no notice to us. The resorts we were advised were our winnings were never available. Puerto Rico was offered as an alternative, which we turned down.

I find it rather ironic that five years later this company is calling us again in attempt to get us to revisit what they have to offer. The only way I will entertain anything this company has to offer is if they refund my $500. At this point, I am not interested, nor do I trust anything that BTTC has to offer.

Mr. Fischer - if you want to make this person happy, give me back my $500, otherwise, I will relay my dissatisfaction with BTTC on any and all complaint boards. I don't care that you think this is a threat, it's not a threat, it is a promise. Further, don't call me a liar, I can prove every point mentioned above.

• Ly
    Lynn W. Jul 22, 2013

In 2010 I bought a package for $518 with a destination of Cancun, Mex which included 6 days in this location plus two other 2-night locations in the USA. (I learned later that each one required a 90-minute presentation.) To date we have not made it out of the USA. Understandably Back to Fun canceled Cancun because of the drug problems, and offered to replace. In the past 2 years an acceptable replacement has NOT been forth coming (and I keep asking). We paid $518 for a fully paid vacation in Cancun, but so far the proposed substitutes offered elsewhere in Mex have a $65 per day per person surcharge (For 2 people that is $130 per day). To encourage us not to file a complaint, our time limit was extended indefinitely. The situation remains unresolved. If Back to Fun comes up with something within the next 6 months, I will see about reporting a positive ending to this story. Otherwise, I will need to report to both the State and the BBB.
    David

• We
    weatherlobe Feb 22, 2012

is it any good?
    who is jane summer?
    is it a fake name perchance?

Learned lesson Feb 22, 2012

We also have booked our 2012 vacation - with a reputable cruise line. We have had no issues with any of the arrangements. Between our travel agent and the online services all has gone well.
    Even last years vacation went very well. This was after the runaround and BS from BTTC . Reputable companies care about their customers.
    We can hope the authorities will end this scam. In the end BTTC will get what they deserve. I believe stealing is against the 7th commandent but apparently it only applies to honest people.
    Cantputmyfingeronit - good luck!!

Cantputmyfingeronit Feb 22, 2012

Just by way of an update, I have submitted complaints with the Florida Attorney General's Office, Better Business Bureau and the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (the agency that licenses BTTC to sell travel). I just received a final notification from BBB yesterday as follows: "You have indicated that you are NOT satisfied with the business' response in the matter.
    However, in the judgment of BBB, the company's response is reasonable. Although, we realize that you may still feel the matter is not resolved, we have closed the case. Your complaint will remain on file for 3 years and be reported to the public as disputed by the consumer." For the record, BTTC's offer was to extend my contract or give me more stays or something like that.. It didn't really address the fact that I wouldn't trust them to book my next oil change, let alone a vacation stay in a foreign country.

I have a feeling that what BBB really WANTED to say was: "You're the dope who gave out his credit card number over the phone to some clown who told you that you that you had to make an immediate decision while he was recording the call. Didn't that strike you as odd behaviour for a supposedly legitimate company? You deserve what you got, dummy!" If they had said that, I am sorry to say that they would have been absolutely correct.

Clearly, given the way BTTC conducts business, they know all the tricks to avoid giving refunds and it's doubtful that they care about their rating with the BBB or they would have changed something by now. Besides, by the time people figure things out, it's usually too late (as it was for me). My hope is that most people will Google them when they're on the phone getting the sales pitch and find this site. I also want to be sure that, if indeed they have a pattern of poor behaviour with regard to dealing with customer complaints, that it is documented in as many places as possible - I have long sinced kissed that money goodbye and have already planned and partially booked my next two vacations in 2012.

One step I have not yet taken is to contact my cruise line (and probably others as well) to suggest that they warn their guests about filling out contest forms during shore excursions. I will probably get to that in the next week or so. Coming back to this site after getting a notification of your post reminded me to do that :)

Learned lesson Feb 22, 2012

"Can'tputmyfingeronit" is absolutey correct in what he says about BTTC. We had / have the same issues with this company. His complaint is a carbon copy of ours in just about every detail and circumstance. We contacted all the appropriate agencies to obtain a refund but so far nothing has transpired. It has been a year since we contacted the PA Attorney General 's office. The PA AG office forwarded complaint to FL AG office and so far we have heard nothing.
    To top it all off we received a call on 02/17/2012 from a representative of BTTC asking why we have not booked / used our "vacation package". We had the rep on speaker so we both could hear what he was saying. After asking his question, we proceeded to inform him of our problems with his company. We found it to be humorous and really sad that he had no knowledge of our problems with BTTC. Seems like the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. This seems typical of companies like this, aka "scam artists".

Learned Lesson

Sar512 Dec 03, 2011

Go eat at "Golden Corral" and shut the f*** up. You sound like a fat loser. If you can't afford to take your family out for dinner, then DON'T. $21 for two people is an amazing price unless the food that you are eating is garbage. Judging by your standards **cough cough** the food that you eat is mostly garbage. I feel sorry for your 2 year old son. He's probably obese like you and needs far more that $1.99 worth of food to satisfy his cravings. Try cooking a healthy meal at home for your family.

Cantputmyfingeronit Dec 02, 2011

After several emails back and forth, all I got was a runaround and some pretty unbelievable responses. Here are a few exchanges between myself and (according to his email signature) the Executive Relations Manager of BTTC, copied directly from the email thread, with the exception that I have excluded names. I would be glad to share the entire email thread - unedited and in its entirety - with anyone who requests it. Trust me, you will be shocked by the behaviour.

In this first exchange, he is trying to tell me that they secured a travel date for me and that they have my signature on documents to prove it as a reason for denying my refund. I have never requested any travel dates, nor have I signed anything. As you're reading this, imagine yourself dealing with a reputable company like Best Buy, Bank of America or Delta Airlines and receiving responses like these...

BTTC: "your reservation request form ask for three (3) choices of date(s) for travel-you provided 1 set of dates only and we still made best efforts to secure them for you and we proved successful with one slight change: I was able to get you a check-in date of the 18th of December 2011, instead of the 16th of December, 2011. Remember your signed terms and conditions which clearly states that requested dates of travel are subject to availability to which you agreed in Black and White. No one forced you to sign this document."

ME: "Can you please provide me with a copy of the Vacation Request Form, filled out in its entirety (including the dates you mention above) in handwriting that matches that of myself or my wife? If you instead contend that we phoned in the request and it was filled in by one of your staff, can you please let me know what date that call was received by you and who in your company took the call?"

BTTC: " Your remarks are at the least slanderous as without a doubt I have your signed reservation request form along with signed terms and conditions. Please stick to facts. This is the last email I will send as I will not deign to recriminations."

ME: "At this point, I think it’s very wise of you to cease communicating with me – you should have had that idea sooner. Please send me a copy of the request to which you’re referring in your email below. The one with my signature plainly visible. A scanned image sent to this email address will suffice for the time being. This should be an extremely easy task, since you have it in your possession “without a doubt”. You have 24 hours. Thank you."

BTTC: "You are correct and I stand corrected you have not sent in reservation dates. That does not take away the fact that with out any doubt you had a conversation with one of Back to The Caribbean's representatives and agreed to a recorded conversation subsequent to the presentation where the individual using their credit card read the card number back to the verifier who advised that the charge took place that evening. I did confuse your file with another on the resevervation request form. With that apology, I still will not agree to a refund without a conversation with an individual and would never promise that a refund would be made nor would I rule out a refund as a possibility?"

ME: "I hope that the other customers’ vacation is not in jeopardy as a result of filing errors. Please note that in my last email to you, I requested that you provide me with copies of documents no less than four times. Before you even properly checked the file, you responded to me (and I quote): “Your remarks are at the least slanderous as without a doubt I have your signed reservation request form along with signed terms and conditions. Please stick to facts.” Ironic, to say the least. If it was indeed a filing mishap (only you know for sure), then I apologize for the accusation. However, I was responding to information that came directly from you that you adamantly defended until the bitter end. Regardless, it seems as though we are back to square one:
    • I paid you $478, basically as a retainer for services to be performed at a later date of my choosing
    • I have not requested any services, nor have you performed any
    • I have changed my mind and decided that I will no longer require your company’s services
    • I have requested a refund on that basis and am awaiting your response

There is a LOT more to this conversation, but all he ever wanted to do was completely evade direct questions and try instead to get me to agree to a 20-30 minute phone call to "clear everything up". I told him on NUMEROUS occasions that I thought he had all the information he needed to make a decision, that if he required further information I would provide it and that it was my preference - as the customer - to communicate only in writing until this matter is resolved. If anyone from BTTC dares to show his/her face on the discussion board again, they will likely say something like "We offered to phone this customer many times at their convenience in order to get this matter resolved, but he refused. Is that so unreasonable?" For the record, that is true. I did NOT refuse to communicate with them, I only refused to communicate via telephone because I wanted everything in writing. Given what you've been reading on this site, is that so unreasonable? If you told any reputable company of which you are a customer that your preferred contact method is email, would you expect them to continue to insist on a 20-30 minute phone call to answer a straightforward question?

Here is basically how it ended, after continually misstating facts, calling me a liar, recanting and saying they made a catastrophic blunder and refusing to answer direct questions:

BTTC: " I am again requesting a time you designate for us to call and discuss this matter. Please advise what day, time, and phone number I should call- preferably after 5PM EST will work for you. I work seven (7) days a week so no day is off the table and if after 5PM EST is not workable, I will work around your schedule. Nobody's vacation is in jeopardy (refering to the fact that I placed a reseveration request in your file inadvertantly which did not belong to you that couple's reservations are already set for the date they requested in Punta Cana). In a 20-30 minute conversation, I am sure we can resolve everything."

ME: "I have asked you for a direct answer to a direct question on multiple occasions. You have not given it.
    I have offered to provide any additional information you require to make a decision. You have not asked for any.
    I have stated on several occasions that it is my preference to correspond in writing until this matter is resolved. You continue to insist on a 20-30 minute phone conversation without once directly addressing any of my questions.
    This email exchange has been nothing but a meandering path through Fairy Tale Land and I have no desire to repeat it on the telephone. It is clear that you are not seriously considering my request and you have no intent to commit to a direction in writing. Any further communication from you that does not include a refund amount and a date that I can expect will be interpreted as a refusal of my refund request. A lack of communication from you before 5:00PM tomorrow, Friday, December 2nd, 2011 will be interpreted as same. This will be the final communication you will receive directly from me on this matter."

BTTC: I find your methods of communication to be as deceitful as I have seen in my 51 years of life. I had the integrity to apologize when I erred, You show no integrity albeit you had no problem speaking to a representative and giving your credit card number to an individual on tape but you refuse to discuss your concerns with me. I do have your verbal authoriztion on tape to charge you credit card the specified amount and what was offered verbally was delivered. Had you made airline reservations and attempted to cancel them more than two weeks later, in all probability you would have received no refund or a rather steep cancellation fee. Why would you assume that by purchasing a vacation package with our commitment to fulfill an allotment of resort/hotel rooms that we are not out anything by refunding you. You analogy fails any business' litmus test as once you made your purchase, we must take into account how many more resort packages can be offered at the same promotional rate with the time frames described to use the accommodations. Do as you wish, you must be very angry at the world and very bored with your life. I hope you find solace in YOUR ATTEMPTS AT DECEPTION.

That one was classic. He AGAIN never once responded to any of my direct questions, started wandering all over the map making statements completely irrelevant to my discussion, then ended off nicely by accusing ME of deception. I was laughing so hard after getting this one that my wife wanted to take me to the hospital. By the way, Mr. Fischer was copied on the full email thread from beginning to end, in case he has any inclination to come back here and lecture people on the need for civil discourse.

Still not sure if I will get my money back and at this stage it doesn't really matter. I can tell you that if they keep it, they're going to earn it. My next conversation will be with my credit card company, then the Florida Attorney General, whatever licensing body it is that authorizes them to sell travel, etc. I'm extremely glad that I got everything in writing and I will eagerly share it with all of these agencies as well as anyone else who asks.

Cantputmyfingeronit Nov 28, 2011

Okay, here’s my story and it’s as much for the benefit of the management of BTTC as it is for people who may be researching them.

My wife and I went on a cruise in April. While on the cruise we were presented with a contest form to save 80% on our next vacation (or something like that), so we filled it out. A couple months later, we received a call from someone at BTTC informing us that we had indeed “won”. We had to pay $478 by credit card and attend a “tour” of each of the properties where we wanted to stay. My wife and I spent quite a bit of time on the phone asking questions and making it absolutely clear that we had no interest in a “tour” (we already own a timeshare that we are quite happy with) and that if we were required to go to a timeshare sales pitch as part of the deal, then forget it. We were assured that the tour was optional and – with some reservations – we bought the package. A few days later, as promised, we received some documents in the mail, including a “Terms and Conditions” page that mentioned nothing about having to attend a tour. So far so good.

Fast forward a few months to late November and we were thinking that we should look into booking for Aruba next fall. I sent a quick email to someone at BTTC asking how to do so and received back a form to fill out as well as a NEW set of terms and conditions which states that if my wife and I do not attend the tour, we will be charged the full rack rate for the entire duration of the stay. This aroused my suspicions, so I responded back with a complaint and at the same time started doing some digging (which is how I found this site). I got a prompt response back and was told that the tour is indeed optional, but that they would add an extra day to my stay if I agreed in advance to attend the tour. I was also provided with a new Terms and Conditions sheet to sign that made no mention of attending the tour.

At this point, I asked for a refund of my money (minus any postage and processing fees that they were out of pocket) and I was honest about my reason for requesting the refund – I told them that my suspicions were aroused when the T&Cs kept inexplicably changing and that my subsequent investigations on the internet and at the BBB made me queasy about doing any further business with them. Because no services had been rendered to that point, my reasoning was that there was no legitimate reason for them to keep my money.

I was told that my matter would be referred to another gentleman (I’m not mentioning any names here because, to be honest, the people I have dealt with have been prompt and courteous. I think they are conscientiously doing their jobs and I don’t want to drag them through the mud – my concerns are with the company itself, not the people who work there). I responded back saying that all I require is a quick note from that person with one of two responses to my refund request: Yes (with a date that I can expect to receive it) or No (with a reason why I would not receive it)

Minutes later, a friendly sounding gentleman left me a phone message with his name, contact information and a desire to resolve the matter “in our mutual best interest”. On the message, he said that he wanted 15 minutes of my time on the telephone to discuss it further.

So, what is my problem here?

When I raised concerns, they responded promptly.
    They were a little curt at times (and I would say justifiably so, since some of my notes were also curt), but certainly not rude.
    To my knowledge, they have done nothing illegal and have not defrauded me in any way (at least, not by the legal definition of the word).

So again, what is my problem?

Firstly, there are the statistics on the BBB website. There are 586 businesses in RBF Marketing/BTTC’s category (Travel Agencies and Bureaus in Southeast Florida and the Caribbean). 9 of these businesses (1.5%) have more than 100 complaints in the last 36 months. RBF Marketing is one of those 9 businesses.

Secondly, there’s this forum itself. A lot of people here with similar complaints.

Where there’s smoke, there’s usually fire.

How many different variations of their Terms and Conditions does this company have? Why?

If I indeed book a vacation and demand the “no tour” T&C sheet, would I get a room in the beautiful resort on the website or a roach motel 3 miles away?

Why do I need to schedule a 15 minute phone call with someone to get an answer to a “yes or no” question? If they have a “99.5% customer satisfaction rate” as they say, then customers like me should represent a drop in the bucket. It should be easy for them to just give me my money back just to be rid of me.

Someone from BTTC could make the argument that I have not even given them a chance to prove themselves. I’ll admit that there’s some merit to that argument.

However, the only way to know for an absolute certainty is to actually book something through them and hope that I don’t get screwed. Given their documented track record, how can I take that chance?

Being out 480 bucks is bad enough, I don’t need a ruined vacation on top of it.

So what are my next steps?

1) To be fair to BTTC, they haven’t given me a definitive answer on my refund. I will contact the gentlemen who last called me in writing and ask him to respond to me IN WRITING regarding my request for a refund – no phone call trying to “sweeten the pot” with more days or extensions or whatever. My expectations are low, but I’m hoping they’ll surprise me.
    2) Assuming they refuse my request, I’ll probably try to do something through my credit card company. Not sure if I’ll have success with that, so I may be out the 480 bucks. Thankfully, I can afford it.
    3) I’ll be speaking with the cruise line. They really need to watch they company they keep, lest they give themselves a black eye. Maybe I’ll use this experience to try to extort an onboard credit from them on my next cruise or something.

I hope this helps people who may be considering doing business with BTTC, but I also hope it helps BTTC – whether they deem it to be fair or unfair – to see how their behaviour looks through the eyes of a customer.

Ross B. Fischer Jul 13, 2011

To Booya,
    If you used your credit Card, and it was different than what was explained to you, you would dispute the charge and your credit card company would credit your account. We have many prospective customers that read this and still become happy travelers, because they can see that most of these complaints are what aren't "legit" and the ones that legit, we address. You are reading the comments of about 30 people over the last 4 years. In that time we have sold 12, 000 packages or more. We have a 99.5% satisfaction rate, and the complaints only use this site because these boards let you write anything, true or not. I am not trying to convince you to buy the package, just addressing your comment. Best of luck on your future travels.

Ross

• Bo
    Booya74 Jul 02, 2011

We turned down the '"offer"...of course after reading this while we were on the phone. When we asked for them to send the information we needed, they wanted payment first...not sure why you would sign/pay for anything like this without first reading the fine print. What's even more surprising is that this seems to be going for years (from the trail of posts here). If they were truly legit, they would send the info like any other legit business...just my opinion.

Ross B. Fischer Apr 13, 2011

This is Ross fischer with Back to the Caribbean.
    In response to Jen R., no one was dishonest with you. When you purchased the package, Grand Cayman was an option, and sometime after you purchased, they stopped honoring their contract because they changed owners. Now, the new owner is honoring our contract again. I have tried to do whatever I can to make it right with you, and make sure that because Grand Cayman wasn't available, that we renew your package until you can go somewhere you are happy with. In 8 years, only 3 destinations have not been available once someone purchased. Unfortunately, due to Hurricane Ivan and then the owner change, Grand Cayman was twice not available after it was offered in your package. Again, on a more positive note, we have several destinations that were not available when you purchased, that you will now be eligible for at no extra fee. St. Maarten, Aruba, and Bonaire, as well as Tuscany Italy. Plus when you travel I will make sure you get an extra night, and any other extras I can get you. Again, I also apologize for taking 2 weeks to respond to your email. As I explained at the time, I was traveling for my son's wedding, and I thought I had responded via my Iphone, but I had not.

Ross B. Fischer Mar 23, 2011

This is Ross Fischer with Back to the Caribbean.
    In response to unhappy tourist, I don't know what number you are calling, but customer serivce answers our calls and emails. I have an $800. phone bill--just for customer service--to prove it. If you have something specific I can help with, I will help. If you are entitled to a refund, you will recieve it. If you are not enitled to a refund, I will do whatever I can to make sure you become a happy traveler at no extra charge from us.
    email is [email protected]

• Je
    Jen R Mar 19, 2011

In response to Mr Fischer, we have finally had email contact, that is true. While my original request for a full refund was refused (he said it was from too long ago) he did offer to reinstate the package w/extention, which I do not have proof of in any paper form in my hands to prove that, but I do have an email from someone named NINA. To be perfectly frank, I ONLY purchased this pkg. because I was told that Grand Cayman was one of my options as I have absolutely NO desire to visit any of their current offerings. I have been to all of the vacation spots they currently offer and do not really wish to return to them. Grand Cayman was not even an option anymore back when I purchased this pkg. although I was assured that it was. That dishonesty of the Back to the Caribbean representative to make a sale, has quite frankly, soured me on trying anything with this company even though they have "offered" an extention . Right now, I am chalking it up to a VERY expensive lesson learned and if I do end up going anywhere with BTF I will post my experience at that time.

Ross B. Fischer Mar 17, 2011

This is Ross Fischer in response to gtg991z. I don't normally get frustrated, but this one is pretty humorous. Where do I start? I guess no one ever books there airfare on their cellphone right? Because they would have to give a credit card. We dont demand anything. We only offer a few trips, we only select a few people, it's 80% at great resorts with no restrictions. Once we explain the details to you and your significant other, then if you want the vacation, it is paid for by credit card over the phone.
    If you don't want to pay right away that is fine, but we didn't call you names, we said "Im sorry we cant get the trip out to you, but thank you for filling out the form." Now we are a scam. We are the opposite of a scam! How, exactly, did we scam you? Google Auto complete comes up "Back to the Caribbean scam" because people like yourself write the word scam in their post, even though we are a licensed bonded Seller of Travel for 8 years.

Good Luck on your future travels, and make sure you protect that Cell Phone.

Ross B. Fischer Mar 17, 2011

This is in response to Staerker. I do not know what ASTA is. We have been an IATA travel agent up through 2009. We did not renew this, as we were only using it to help customers with airfare, and we were finding better airfares outside Iata. Our IATA number was [protected]. We may renew if we can get a contract for bulk fares. We a re a licensed bonded Florida Seller of Travel License # ST36277 as stated earlier with a $50, 000 bod with the state.
    As far as the call, if you dont want to pay for it, we let you get off the phone. If we stayed on the phone, you would say we were pressuring you. Since we give an 80% discounted vacation good for up to 3 years with no blackout dates, we require payment up front that day. If you dont feel comfortable with that, then we thank you and go our merry way! Most people appreciate that we don't push too hard, but everyone is different I guess.

amendment to Jen R.
    We emailed at length, did not speak on the phone.

I have sent a message to "unhappy tourist" to determine the situation

Ross B. Fischer Mar 17, 2011

This is a response to Jen R.
    Jennifer and I have spoken at length. Although we have Cayman now, when she tried to book we did not have Cayman, as she stated.
    Her package has been reinstated for no fee. She has been given an extra 18 months as well, for no fee. I apologized to her as she sent me an email on February 15th. I thought I had responded, but did not write her until March 3rd. I was traveling cross country to drive my mother from AR. for my son's wedding on 2/12. For all you research gurus his name is Sean Northrup and he is on Facebook. I have asked Jennifer to add a post verifying these updates. Hopefully she will also update when she travels.
    Example of a legitimate complaint(although rated R in intensity) and situation fixed.

Ross B. Fischer Mar 17, 2011

In response to KG25, going to this site is not objective research, it is a place where customers and non-customers, and even ex-employees vent. Example: If someone bought the package 3 years ago, put it in a drawer, and then wants a refund because they didnt use it. Then they go here, because their credit card wouldnt give them the money back of course, and the state agrees with us. So they go here because anyone can write anything they want without anyverification ..I am not trying to convince you to buy our package, and Im not trying to say you did anything wrong. I am more writing this for the next reader. Objective research is to call the State and make sure we are who we say we are Seller of Travel License #St36277. By that license and bond, we have to give a person there money back if we dont travel them. In 8 years, between the state and the BBB, we have a total of 3 complaints that ended unresolved. All of those are with the BBB. Thats 3 out of 125 in the last three years, only 26 of those are the last twelve months.
    Best of luck in your future travels.
    Ross Fischer www.backtofun.com email: [email protected]

Ross B. Fischer Mar 17, 2011

This is Ross Fischer, I am responding to the complaints on this site. This site is supposed to email me when there is a post, but they have not been sending anything out

I will start with the most recent first. This is in response to "Learned Lesson". Learned Lesson is not being honest in his post, AND he has not been honest in his dealings with us. For the sake of anonymity, although I could use his full name, his name is Anthony. Now, Anthony purchased the package on September 16th of last year. In February, he called to make reservations for the islands. We sent him terms for the island he wanted. The terms we sent we to include an upgraded room AND a discounted rate on an all-inclusive, IF he would agree to take the timeshare tour in advance. When he recieved the terms, he sent emails saying he wanted a refund because he was told he didnt have to tour. This is true, your are invited to tour, but it is not mandatory, however almost everyone tours because we treat you so nice, we give you what we promise, and we try to give extra. We would have gladly booked the room at the normal size room that he was promised, with the normal priced all-inclusive. But he only said he wanted a refund and that we told him he won a free trip, that we used the word won over and over, and that we said he filled out the form in Diamonds International. He threatened us in various ways that if we didn't give him a refund, the BBB was just the beginning etc, etc.
    We have NEVER used the word free. We explain up front it is an 80% discounted vacation. Now, I ask you, if we said you won a free trip, why would you pay $500+ for the package o your credit card? Secondly, we are in various stores, attractions, and Welcome Centers throughout the Caribbean. Diamonds International IS NOT one of them. We use a resort company called Diamond Resorts.

Here is the heading of our contract with Diamond Resorts:

MARKETING SERVICES AGREEMENT
    This MARKETING SERVICES AGREEMENT (“Agreement”) is made by and between REB Marketing, Inc. (“Marketer”) and DIAMOND RESORTS INTERNATIONAL MARKETING, INC., a California corporation (“DRIMI”).

Anthony, I have offered to book your reservation without the tour, as promised. I have offered to give you an extra 18 months to take the trip for free, a $99 value, I have offered you an extra trip, and now I will even add an offer to give you an extra night to the trip you currently have. I feel this is a fair offer.

As far as as us being a scam, as I have covered before, we are a licensed Seller of Travel in the State of Florida with a surety bond of $50, 000. The law states I have to refund you if I cant travel you, even if its 17 months later. We have been in business since June of 2002. If you have a complaint fine, but calling us names to try to get your money bak just isn't right.
    Ross

Learned lesson Mar 10, 2011

We were duped by the scam artists at BTF.com, BTTC & RBF Marketing, Inc. Has anyone been told by the sales people that these companies have an affiliation with Diamonds International jewelry? We heard several times in their sales pitch that Diamonds International was a sponser. After contacting D.I. legal dept. we found it to be false. We are currently pursuing channels to obtain a refund. Any advice from those who were scammed and did obtain refunds is appreciated.

Learned lesson

• K2
    k2g5 Feb 20, 2011

Thanks to this website, we were spared from what sounds like a long horrible ordeal. We were contacted earlier today and after only a few short minutes of explaining how we "won" a trip I sounded hesitant. "Gina" offered me an opportunity to talk it over with my wife before going into anymore detail. She said she would call back 4 hours later. 5 hours later, we got a phone call from "Freddie, " but thanks to a reverse phone number search we were already able to find out who and what we were dealing with. When my wife answered the phone for Freddie and he explained what company he was representing, my wife politely explained how we found this forum and viewed some of the "unflattering" comments. Freddie seemed insulted and said "thanks for filling out the form!" and quickly hung up. Thank you compaintsboard.com, and thank you "Gina" for allowing us time to do some research!

• Je
    Jen R Feb 18, 2011

I purchased a package in 2007 and was told I would be able to go to the Cayman Islands as one of my choices...Surprise the Cayman Islands was not a choice when I tried to book.. Since none of the other locations appealed to me my package expired before it could be used and I didn't want to throw more money away to extend it..However, 2 days ago at 9 pm I got a phone call from Back to the Caribbean asking me why I never used my package...Stange but I told them it was expired and she asked me when it expired. I said well, you work for them you should know that and then I hung up and began a web search and got to this forum. This Ross Fischer who is posting here as well claiming to be an employee of this company and saying he will refund people's money to make it right is full of [censor]. I have emailed him and have not gotten a response. This is a SCAM and just remember...if you have won something you should not have to pay for it. Hard, expensive lesson learned. Good luck to everyone that is dealing with this disreputable organization.

• Un
    unhappytourist Feb 15, 2011

I'm another sucker. I have filed with my credit card, Better Business Bureau, and am next onto the Flordia Attorney General. I too never get answered phone calls, emails aren't returned, and I had the WORST phone call experience with them. I'm too mad to list the details now, but I am not stopping until I win this complaint. They are breaking their contracts, and should be closed down.

Staerker Dec 27, 2010

Just got a phone call from this company and I live in Northern Ireland and the guy on the phone read his script very well. After a few probing questions they were wanting us to make payment. Once we refused we were given this spiel how they are an accredited travel agent. Upon checking the website and I could not see any reference to asta on the website. After checking around to this website I have read the comments and would advise against anyone falling for this scam. Once I had refused to make payment they said that they will offer this great deal to someone else which says it all.

• Gt
    gtg991z Nov 28, 2010

I was just called. This is obviously a total and complete scam. They demanded that we give them a credit card number tonight on a cruise we would have 180 days to decide upon. They refused to allow my girlfriend and me a day or two to think it over. That is a dead giveaway. If that weren't enough, they also required that the CC# be given over the phone. Any legitimate company will have this sort of transaction online. I do not use a land line i.e. cell phones only as most people do nowadays, and I know better than to give out sensitive information over wireless. Online, you can check encryptions and have the peace of mind when it comes to security and printable receipts.

Don't get suckered in. Trust your instincts. When something seems too good to be true, it always is just that. Google "Back To The Caribbean" and the first auto-complete option that comes up is... "scam".

• Da
    David Schenk Nov 02, 2010

I contacted the company representative that sold us the package within a week (before we got our paperwork) and told them we did not feel safe traveling in Mexico and would not be using their service. We are still getting emails from the manager trying to talk us into changing our mind. They even offered another destination (Belez). We are not interested in a time share and they told us we didn't have to go to the time share meetings. I explained we are still not interested. The manager still wants a phone conversation to try to talk us into taking the offer. First off, we were told we won a trip. It is just a trap to get you to buy a time share. Th state of Florida gives 30 days from the time of purchase to cancel for a refund. I will be contacting the state of Florida and the Better Business Bureau to report this Company.

• Pr
    Princess Di Sep 24, 2010

Back to the caribbean is NOT a scam... Me and my husband booked a trip with them 6 months ago to Dominican republic and had a great time and we stayed at the resort that we were told we will be staying at. Im glad i was chosen for this promotion. 80% off really helped and they helped me with airfare. Were actually going back next year. Of course when someone doesnt have a good time on vaction they want to say negative things about the company, its easier to say horrible things when ur upset then it is to say good things when u had great time.. Well im here to say i had a great time and plan on using Back to the Caribean for all my future vacations.

Strollen Nolan Sep 11, 2010

okay i read the letter incorrectly so so far its not a scam
    Day one I wrote to the company asking for different dates awaiting there response then with in 24 hrs we received

Day two I received my confirmation and it was for the 5 nights in Cancun as they said it was all the contact info was on the letter when u get the letter it highlights three days on the second trip and another letter for baco comes so its confusing two attachments,

Strollen Nolan Sep 11, 2010

. So far I already have a problem I was told on the phone that this trip was for more nights all the information is on the web site phone contacts and email i wrote a request to the company via email for the dates and change f destination as the gentleman on the phone said i could. it was late Friday and the company is not open . they provide all the contact information you need, then I received as they said I would
    the email was just a confirmation of our conversation.about 24 hrs latter, the letter is below, I don't see anything unreasonable obout this it makes sense that if you cant travel with in the 18 months that there would be possible increases in prices and paperwork

Dear Back To The Caribbean Guest,

Congratulations on receiving this unbelievable offer! As promised, we are providing you with this valuable Vacation Package. There ARE NO CATCHES OR HIDDEN COSTS!

We are offering our special guests…
    ACCOMMODATIONS FOR TWO PEOPLE
    IN THE CARIBBEAN & UP TO FOUR PEOPLE IN THE US!
    You will be able to use your first 6 Days and 5 nights in…
    CANCUN
    This location will provide First Class accommodations for 2 people including the all-inclusive package for all of your meals, beverages, and non-motorized water activities. Call customer service for details regarding bringing additional guests.

And your second vacation consisting of…
    4 days and 3 nights hotel accommodations in your choice of 8 different US destinations, PLUS a bonus 3 days and 2 nights in over 20 additional US destinations. It’s your choice!

There are no obligations to purchase anything at anytime. You are receiving this package for the total cost of $299.00.

We are very pleased to be able to offer this exceptional promotion as part of our promotion to visit our timeshare resorts for a 90-minute tour while you’re vacationing on the property. Although we sometimes accept qualified referrals this is a one time offer.

We will reply to all reservation requests as soon as confirmation is received.

You will have up to 18 months to use the first leg of your vacation in the Dominican Republic and an additional 18 months to use the second portion in the US destinations. Upon your return from your first destination, contact customer service to receive your second vacation voucher. (If you are unable to travel in this time period, 12 month extensions are available for an additional $99.)

Strollen Nolan Sep 09, 2010

Did some one say Tim share, or scam ? Ill keep you up to speed on the procedure, so far the people have been friendly and nice AND REALLY TRIED TO MAKE US HAPPY, we were first frustrated becasue, I had to take the phone with me to the other room and get my credit card the second guy wouldn't even give his name as Jason was obviously not in the room with us as I obtained my card, I felt he was rude, but he called back and really tried to be nice, we got the call to day and recorded it ourselves .we have this phone type service as with any computer phone you can record, so He charged my card 299.00 and definitely did not say any thing additional would be charged tax ? specifically att he resort or any place else. we will get the forms in the mail with in 7-14 days we will then book the next day, I will send the dates and any money required or call to try to change the destination, IF a date cannot be selected and booked in a short time, with in 30 DAYS WE WILL THEN CANCEL ON THE CREDIT CARD .so you have with in 45 to cancel on your card and you can always disput charges maid to a card, but with all my travel around the world and all the wounderful people in the hospitality industry, honestly people in this industry really have service hearts and try to make people happy, or they wont last long in the hotel spot light, I have good faith that even if we don't like the resort we will like the staff. we have kinda been spoiled and have stayed in the best and most exclusive resorts, The pictures really didnt make the resort look great in cancun or cabo, if the dates we choose cannot be booked it is a scam becasue we are so availabel to so many dates it would be inpossible . we have alot of flexibility and can offer two complete open months . the top destination choice would be aruba if its a all inclusive then we might return time and time again . I have traveled all over the world and spent lots of time sailing the caribean but never been to Aruba, as we will choose TONS OF dates. they say they need 30 days notice. if we are not confirmed with in a short amount of time it will be canceled but we have faith that it will work out, and if it does we will bring friends who travel at least 5 times a year, They said on the phone that i didn't sound excited. well I have stayed in the best hotels in the world so ya I would have to be impressed.?you can add me on linked at chelsie Noland, in the tourist industry, ..Ive gone to one time share, I didn't purchase it then, but it was like 16 years ago, it was with another person who was invited I just showed up, we drove up to a destination for a couple hrs and he took home a radio or some thing, I don't have a opinion about a time shares, if its good or bad, Ive heard a lot of good things about them, what is bad is the airfare people say they can usually book air and all inclusive for really cheap so why buy a time share. unless you can obtain cheap flights . with the economy they may be good if you can find a accessible destination and book your travel easily .Honestly if its a time share it would make sense they would want to book you fast you get the dates you want fast, especially with the purpose of instilling faith that in the future you wont have problems booking., I read over some of the ABOVE Messages and who cant travel with in 18 months. Really ?We travel a lot, but Mexico is getting old, spent way to much time there. so I'm going to try to change the destination to Aruba or some thing else reasonable you can follow me on word press. Strollen Noland world INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL PA THEY SAY YOU CAN BOOK FOR 37 $ more a day per person ???

we will choose ( 15 days in Aruba )or (11 days in Punta Cana or the nicest resort in Dominican )(13 days in Cancun)or( 8 days in play del Carmen ) (any time) between the months of December and January

Who thinks that they will be able to book us for a reasonable amount of money or even book us at all ?????

http://chelsienoland.wordpress.com/2010/09/10/chelsie-noland…strollen-nolan/ or chelsie Kessler on linken

Comments

Strollen Nolan Sep 09, 2010

I blog AND .Ill keep you up to speed on the procedure, so far the people have been friendly and curiousness we got the call to day and recorded it ourselves .we have this phone type service as with any computer phone you can record, we will get the forms in the mail with in 7-14 days we will then book the next day we receive it if it can be booked ?It a date cannot be selected and booked in a short time, with in 30 DAYS WE WILL THEN CANCEL ON THE CREDIT CARD .so you have with in 45 to cancel, if the dates we choose cannot be booked it is a scam as we will choose three dates. they say they need 30 days notice. if we are not confirmed with in a short amount of time it will be canceled but we have faith that it will work out, and if it does we will bring friends who travel at least 5 times a year, They said on the phone that i didn't sound excited. well I have stayed in the best hotels in the world so ya I would have to be impressed.?you can add me on linked at chelsie Noland, in the tourist industry, ..Ive only ever gone to one time share, I didn't purchase it then, but it was like 16 years ago, and it was with another person i was just there but didn't do a stay, we drove up to a destination for a couple hrs and he took home a radio or some thing, I don't know that time shares are bad, or good with the economy they may be good if you can find a accessible destination and book your travel easily .Honestly if its a time share it would seem that they would want to book you fast and get you the dates you want fast becasue then you would be assured that if you purchase a travel share vacation destination that you would receive the dates you wanted, I read over some of the ABOVE Messages and who cant travel with in 18 months. Really ?We travel a lot, but Mexico is getting old, spent way to much time there. so I'm going to try to change the destination to Aruba or some thing else reasonable you can follow me on word press. Strollen Noland Follow me on travel pa Or strollen nolan INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL PA COOK ISLANDS PHOTO below now thats a vacation we will choose 10 14 days in Aruba or 10 days in punta cana 10 days in Cancun or 7 days in play del Carmen any time between the months of December and January who thinks that they will be able to book us for a reasonable amount of money or even book us at all

Jorgensen Jul 30, 2010

We had been burned by travel clubs / "free trips" / timeshare stuff in the past so were really cautious and did a bit of research before accepting this deal. We only saw a few complaints, so we signed up a couple of years ago and used our first trip Jan 2010 to Sedona. I found the folks I talked to at the office to be very helpful and really nice. Seems even back then Back to Fun & Back to the Caribbean were linked sites, so I didn't see it as an issue. The timeshare we stayed at was nice, but not as nice as the one we toured owned by the same company, which was not a surprise to us, as we had been given information on both places prior to booking. Other than how horrible the tour people and our 90 min time turning into almost 3 hrs because they refused to take "No" for an answer and basically held us hostage to them signing off on the form. But that was the Timeshare people not BTTC.
    We haven't yet rec'd our next certificate that we were supposed to get after the trip, but I just got around to calling them today to let them know.
    A little disconcerting to reach a voicemail, but we will see what happens.
    Other than about 6 months of almost twice a month phone calls from the sales force even after we signed up trying to sell us like we had never been approached, all our experiences with this company have been positive. Hopefully, it will continue to be.
    It's the Timeshares that I have complaints about.

• Be
    be_prepared Jul 19, 2010

I was recently contact by Back to the Caribbean claiming that I won a "free" vacation that I entered while I was on another vacation in the Caribbean. Come to find out this was not so free after all. I had a pay $498 and this did not even include airfare. They offered me a bunch of choices for my vacation destination to entice and confuse me at the same time. Then told me I had to pay with credit card over the phone to secure this deal. Because I was given so much information over the phone, I requested this info be sent to me in writing. The kicker is that this caused the caller into panic and made some lame excuse that they were new to the company that would get someone else to assist me. The next caller laid it on thick and pointed me to their website and what a reputable company they were and insisting that this was legitimate and that the only way to secure this deal is by submitting my credit card and that I could cancel at anytime.

If it sounds to good to be true it usually is! Always ask for things in writing people and if they refuse or are hesitant, then chances are they have something to hide. Anybody can design a flashy website these days!

Thanks everyone for the heads up on this one. I google this website while the Back to the Carribean was trying to convince me they were legit. LOL!

Ross B. Fischer Apr 21, 2010

This is Ross Fischer. My wife is the President of Back to the Caribbean. It is not right when people say things that are not true just to disparage a company, or they say things when they dont know what they are talking about.

Everyone has a right to complain, and if there is a legitimate complaint and you are entitled to a refund, we will refund your money or make it right. Our company name is Back to the Caribbean. That is our legal dba. Our corporation is RBF Marketing Inc. dba as Back tot he Caribbean. We changed our website over 2 years ago to www.backtofun.com, because people would misspell Caribbean and say they could not find the site. So if you go to our website, you will see our company name is that same as it always has been, for the past 8 years.

In order to be a BBB "accredited" business, you have to pay an annual fee. We choose not to pay that. Neither does Sandals Resorts, nor many other companies.

The most important thing is that if someone has a legitimate complaint, we will make it good or give the money back. According to the BBB, out of 112 complaints with the BBB, only 3 did we refuse to give a refund or offer what the customer was wanting. Most of our complaints have to do with a partner relationship from June 2008 to June 2009, which was another company selling our product over the phone. There have only been 8 complaints the last 6 months. In the last 6 months, there are over 1400 packages owners, and 6 complaints.

If a complaint is real we will deal with it. More than one of these "complaints" is from one specific employee trying to make trouble for us because they were let go.

My email is [email protected] if you have a real complaint, please contact me and I will do whatever I can to make it right.

• Us
    US50 Mar 30, 2010

Same story... purchased a vacation package from Back To The Caribbean. Mine was $518 with 18 moths to travel. At the time of purchase no mention of cancellation policy by voice or in documents. They said any date I wanted was "guaranteed" - no way. Months of unanswered phone calls and e-mails. Apparently after the name change "Back to Fun" they decied to tap the well again...got a return e-mail stating no refunds, then some weeks later, a call from Johne looking for more money to extend, with a special offer, added vacations!

Checked out the resorts, all in an older chain, mediochere at best, god-awful at worst. I'm not taking the chance.

Best bet is for all of us to flood the BBB and the FL Attorney General with complaints. Also the consulate or Board of Tourism of your intended destination.

• Gu
    Guy Next Door Feb 15, 2010

Thanks to Don't get taken, the exact same thing just happened to me.

"If it sounds too good to be true, it is!"

If you are making a deal with this amount of money, you need some way to verify it's legitimacy. If the process prevents you from doing so, then that sounds an alarm.

This caller insisted to be on hold while I check and would not let me call him back.

It only took me less than 3 minutes to locate this site and knew right away to dismiss the call.

So, Steve E. or who ever you are. I was reading this while you were on hold.