• Mi
    Michelle Beattie Nov 26, 2007

Same thing happened to me. I saw these charges on my AT&T bill for voice mail services. AT&T told me a third party billed it. When I finally got a hold of American eVoice, they told me my husband authorized it through Media Shapers.com. When I went on this website, they were a Canadian Company that sells custom discs. Someone used my husband's e-mail address and street address. Who would benefit from this, but American eVoice.

When I said that no one authorized this and the charges were fraudulent, the customer service rep agreed to reverse the charges ($16).

• Ez
    EzdineG Dec 12, 2007

I just got the same $16 charge on my AT&T bill. I had absolutely no idea who these people were, and upon further investigation can't understand why any residence in their right mind would even need this service -- answering machine, anyone? I sure as hell didn't sign up for it, and suspect someone was waging their bets I wouldn't check my bill.

I can't get anyone at American eVoice on the phone at the moment so the charge is still standing. AT&T isn't very helpful in the matter. Sounds like it's time to try Mediacom's local telephone services.

• To
    Tom Zachman Dec 25, 2007

Here's the thing that's driving me crazy. My phone company sends their bill, and includes the charge for American EVoice. They tell me they can't do anything about it...that I should call American EVoice. But wait. It's my local phone company who is billing me. Who authorized them to do that? Not me. They should be billing me only for the services which they provide, right? I don't understand how any company can get away with this.

What if Sears sent me a bill and included a charge from, say, Home Depot? Sound ridiculous? Of course it does. But this is the same thing. One company billing me for the services of another company, which I did not authorize. Seems like there must be consumer fraud laws to protect us, doesn't there? I have read many many many complaints on line written by people in the same boat as we are. Does anyone have a solution?

I'm seriously considering cancelling my land line phone and using only my cell, which is all prepaid.

• Da
    David Katzen Dec 27, 2007

Its been on my AT&T Bill also, gonna call this ILD/ American E-voice. Even though At&T tells me I have to call American E- Voice to cancel the charges. They AT&T credits my bill for the $16.00.

• Bm
    B Mahle Jan 08, 2008

What the HELL! This is crazy. If AT&T can't explain to me why the can authorize an extra $16 a month from a random "made up" company then I am saying good bye to AT&T. Hello Cell Phones forever.

Bob Apr 02, 2008

I had the same thing happen to me. On my local service phone bill (ATT). I am being charged by ILD Teleservices 800-433-4518. I am being charged for Voice Mail Service @ 14.95 + tax & fee's = 16.08 / month.

I called ILD at the 433 number and I explained to the agent that I never ordered this service. Pleasantly he said he could put a cancel on this v/m service so I won't be charged again. I would need to call American Evoice aka Voice Mail Professional @ 866-576-1876 in order to request a refund.

So I called them and the young lady (also pleasant) said that this service was authorized by someone using my email address and that my mothers maiden name that was entered was "shottie!" Ha!! After seeing that she realized that it wasn't legitimate and I would receive a credit applied to my phone bill. She also said that I supposedly signed up for this service at mediashaperz.com, I have never heard of this site nor ordered any v/m service. When looked up mediashaperz.com the website page was that of a web hosting company; it was the logon page. I find all of this very disturbing. I better get my refund!

Those people are insane, how could they be so fraudulent. How can this type of fraudulent activity be prevented?

• My
    Mykola Sorochynskyy Apr 17, 2008

Same happened to me. They added a charge to my AT&T bill for non-existed and never ordered services. And ILD, which billed my AT&T account are obviously complicit in their fraud because the customer representative I spoke to at ILD was obviously already aware of such complaints from other people against eVoice. A total blatant scam.

Gordon Woodward Apr 17, 2008

The same thing has happened to me. I was billed last month for $14.95 for a voice mail that I don't have and don't want. I was just billed again for $14.95, and was told I would be billed again next month for $14.95. When I called AT&T they were absolutely
    no help and said they were not responsible for3rd party billing. The only solution that I cansee is to NOT PAY for the phony voice mail charge when you send your payment into AT&T, or simply get rid of AT&T. But who's to say the next carrier won't do the same thing?

Gordon Woodward Apr 18, 2008

Yes! you can contact American Evoice about their scam! Call I 866 576 1876 and talk to Merrie (pron: Mary) her Rep number is 366. As soon as I mentioned the scam she backed off verym quickly and said "Yes we will give you credit for the amount we charge you on your next telephone bill/bills. Obviously what is happening is they tack the phony charge on your bill, and if you don't complain they take your money. If you do complain they give you a credit. So everyone take note! Call I 866 576 1876 (in Florida) now and get rid of the phony charges. Also, a lady at ILD Teleservices has been very cooperative, and is in the process of trying to keep the scam charge from being put on telephone bills. Now that everyone knows it's a scam, whoever is putting it on the bill should be kept from doing it, and that's what the ILD lady is doing. If anyone wants to e mail me: [email protected] I have alot of info. that I don't want to reveal here, but will through private email

Gordon Woodward Apr 18, 2008

The San Francisco PUC just emailed me and said the
    Texas PUC handles these scam complaints. Send to:
    PUC Customer Protection, PO Box 13326, Austin, Texas,
    78711-3326. email: [email protected] Phone:
    1-888 782 8477. Fax: 512 936 7003. 1. Include all
    your personal info plus your account #. 2. Identify
    company/s involved. 3. Describe problem. 4. Explain
    what you want the business to do or how you want the
    problem solved. 5. If you mail or fax include copies of
    ALL the documentation you have. Let's all work on
    this together and eliminate this scam forever!

• Ka
    Karen Apr 30, 2008

I just got off of the phone with the Billing service who could not tell me much about the service. She claims is was done online and someone signed up for the service with ILD, of course she was not that cooperative in giving information and could not promise me that I would not be billed in the future by these people. I have ATT who has been billing me on their behalf.

Bella Jun 12, 2008

they just got me to i have no idea who they were or what the charges were for. but ILD teleservices was very nice about removing there charges for this evoice ..they did not know who they were eaither ..what a scam evoice also had personal information about me and said i used it to sign up for there program. one has to wonder now how they got this information.
    bella

John Aug 28, 2008

There seems to be a very interesting thread running through all oif these complaints.
    Everyone seems to use AT&T as their long-distance carrier, and claim that AT&T is
    not very helpful in solving this problem. Since there are many long-distance phone
    companies, could AT&T's connection in these cases be more than purely coincidental?
    I am changing my long-distance service to Verizon, just be be protected from AT&T.

• Ro
    Ronal Oct 12, 2008

I just received my Verizon bill and there it was. American eVoice for $15.07. Of course I'll be contacting them for a refund as well as reporting to my California Attorney General and the Federal Trade Commission.

jaymie Oct 23, 2008

YES PLEASE people report to the BBB. I just did and they actually took action. I am being refunded the 200 dollars they've been stealing over the last year!. I check every bill now! Go get 'em!

• Ce
    Celina Nov 09, 2008

myamericanevoice.com.. Is a company who is charging customer without their consent, , I Called a month ago to get credit and still this company continue charging me see above.. I have to call again .. and still no answered.
    a Itemized Charges and Credits

5-02 Local .75

Total Enhanced Services Billing Inc 15.70

• Ra
    Randall Nov 14, 2008

I got my bill in the mail 11/14 at 3PM, by 4:45 the fraudulent charges were credited and account closed by a pleasant man, Tony. I was ready to be pissed, but ended up pleased with the immediate outcome. Now I wait a month to see if all remains well.

• Ka
    Kat Nov 19, 2008

I fight these on our company's phone bills, where if it's not this phony company, it's some other one. Every last one of them is indeed a scam and they count on people not reading the bills.

Most phone companies offer some kind of blocking, labeled "Third Party Blocking" or "Bill Blocking" or "Carrier Freeze" - may help you prevent it in the future, because even if you fix the charge you do find, another one is right around the corner.

Good luck!

• Vi
    viefhaus Nov 25, 2008

I also was charged the same charge on my account.. uhhggg.. can't be safe even with our phone company. AT&T

• Cu
    customer sevice Feb 03, 2009

As a customer service rep for American eVoice, I would like to let you all know that we are not a fraud. The reason one would be billed by our company would be from one of our various websites. And when one puts all info in and clicks that they agree it is legal for you to get billed. One piece of advice would be to read the small print!

Marty64 Feb 09, 2009

I hate people like you American eVoice and don't tell me it's not a scam where it is one. You somehow get people's info without their consent and bill them hoping that they don't notice. I just got the same thing what people were writing about above. The same stupid bill that I DID NOT approve. I can't believe that you still charge people. That is not the first time it happened to me so I'm really pissed off about it. People like you use the good hard working american people just to get a quick buck. That is not fair. It's like stealing and you should go to jail for that.

• Kt
    kt6 Mar 23, 2009

customerservice---I would like to know what websites are "your" website.

• Pa
    pasha2f Apr 09, 2009

I cannot agree more with what was said about that jail is the right place for the American eVoice people. Unfortunately it won't be easy to find a lawyer because it's unlikely that there's big money there.

• Up
    upset May 10, 2009

I just opened my verizon bill and noticed a much higher bill than usual. When I checked it a little closer I noticed a charge from american evoice ltd and unitedtel.com. It's Sunday and I was unable to get a hold of american evoice, but the rep at unitedtel.com did say that I would be credited. When asked how I was signed up she too said that it was over the internet and was able to confirm my email, address, and name. The only thing that was wrong was the date of birth. They had Sep 3, 1953. I don't think if I signed up that I would get my birthdate wrong. Anyway, I'm glad I checked my bill or I could have easily paid it without knowing. And to think that I've thought about signing up for automatic billing, not now!

Mark Frank May 16, 2009

As much as I would like to believe the "customer service" in this list I find it difficult for my father to have registered on one of there websites as he died 5 years ago, and to the best of my knowledge Forrest Lawn does not provide Internet access or phone service to the gravesite.

Mark Frank

• Ng
    ngowdy May 17, 2009

Someone who has been "defrauded" in this manner should check with American eVoice to see if the voicemail service has been used -- particularly if they have any virtual calling card features associated with the service.

I work for a telecom that provides business voicemail service, and we hear about this happening with our competitors constantly due to very poor online validation. A fraudster may well have found out an easy way to exploit AT&T and American eVoice's partnership and be getting their hands on AT&T customer information in order to add American eVoice service to customers' bills while using the service for themselves.

The money for the fraudster is that many toll free voicemail services have a virtual calling card feature that lets the owner dial the voicemail number, key in a command, and then make an outbound call -- just like using a calling card. The fraudsters open these accounts and use them to run a business (usually outside the US) by selling access to these stolen virtual calling cards. I wouldn't be surprised if this is what was happening.

If so, it's not that American eVoice is trying to steal your money -- its that someone has figured out American eVoice does a lousy job confirming that the person signing up is actually you and is letting their service be overrun with fraudsters who are in turn stealing your money.

bethy Jun 08, 2009

Yup the samething over here and it was used with an old email I had.. but I did get it off my bill $14.95 and I got a credit.

bethy Jun 08, 2009

Yes the same here... I called them and got it off my bill, I also got a $1495 credit.. + they used an old email I got rid of along time ago WTF

• Me
    Melvin12 Jul 13, 2009

I found the same bogus charge on my bill, but it's not applied to my phone number - it's applied to a 2nd virtual number I have for my fax machine - it's not even a "real" number and it's impossible to have voicemail service on that number.

mastern8 Jul 28, 2009

I signed up for their service and it works perfectly. I don't understand how people can't reach them, the number is on the email they sent me as well as a fax and an email address. I signed up for the service with the promise of $1000 worth of free coupons, which were sent to me via email. I get the feeling a lot of the complaints on here are because people aren't reading the full site and want to get something for free. That has never happened in the past, I don't know why they think it will happen now. I use the coupons and the service, and I came on here to make a complaint against Best Buy but just came across this...

• De
    debbie 0150 Aug 05, 2009

We were also charged here in california for this service on our verizon bill called them and the told me my daughter signed up for this on internet...wrong to young to do this, so they were suppost to give me credit and cancell this also gave me a conformation number i wonder if thats good??? What the hell people have a lot of balls, but I think I sould have been notified by verizon of a new service provider on my bill before hand and let me give the ok!!!

• De
    debbie 0150 Aug 05, 2009

you are working for a scam company and what if it was you buddy???????

• Cc
    CcRider54 Aug 06, 2009

Well I had e voice on my verizon home phone that had AT&T long distance service. I don't remember ever signing up for it but I've had it ever since I had my verizon service. I though it was part of the package deal. I am ecconimizing and called them to cancel it ( an answering machine will cast me $15 one time) and it was pretty simple, didn't even talk to a person, verified I was calling from the phone I was inquiring about by pushing 1 then the first option was to discontinue service, pushed 1 & got a confirmation number. by doing this & canceling my long distance ( I use my cell) canceled called ID ( the answeing machine will tell me who it is) and canceling my unlisted number I've cut $47.53 off my monthly verizon bill :)
    Peace
    CcRider

Bobbyb Oct 07, 2009

Here's the ip location of the azzwipe that did this to me.. We all need to send him a little letter telling him how we fell about this.. I know mines in the mail right now...

Bobbyb Oct 07, 2009

• Hy
    hyd367 Dec 29, 2009

Same thing happen to me. I filed a complaint with the FCC and with the FBI. Both ATT and American Evoice should fix the way it enrolls customers. I will be firing ATT and just stay with cell phone use. Turns out it made me realize I rarily use my landline. I don't have time to deal with BS.

• V7
    v72 Feb 22, 2010

I just noticed a $14.95 + tax charge on my phone bill...voice mail monthly service...when I already have that service with my phone company. I called the phone company and they said it was 3rd party charges and connected me directly with the 3rd party. The American e-voice rep said they would refund my $ for last month and this month since I was being charged monthly moving forward. I did receive a confirmation # for the 2 refunds and a stop to any future charges. I asked who authorized this charge. I was told that my number was given for billing on a findjobs.com account (???). In the end, I asked for a direct # to follow-up in the event the credits are not credited...I was put on hold while she "researched" this for me. They gave me the following phone number: 1.866.576.1875. I just called and it seems to be a working # with American e-voice recording and options. Just wanted to share this to help anyone else trying to get in touch with these people.

• Sp
    spellinqueen Aug 02, 2010

Wellll the same thing happened to me. This is SO convoluted. I had verizon. I closed my account on June 1st. Then when going through my bills (which were on auto-pay) I noticed this american evoice crap. I called Verizon, who can't discuss why the charge is there ***without an order number!!!*** What crap! I had to tell them, I didn't place the order! "Then we can't assist you."

So Verizon sucks too.

Then I got through to American Evoice. They told me they can credit me for the last three months of the billing, which is July 28th, June, and May. I told them I already CLOSED the account. But it doesn't matter, they are giving the credit to Verizon.

But what about the rest of the charges? Because this order was placed in January? Oh, I have to email or fax their processing center to get that refund.

Truly a WTF moment.

So now I have to call verizon back, and find out why in the world they accepted some random company to add billing, with an order placed by a random person who added this to my account, without EVER using my real name?

Wow. Verizon and American EVoice, you both suck.

• Uk
    ukdyv Oct 04, 2010

American eVoice is a complete scam. I called after getting charges on my Verizon phone and they said that they could refund the last 3 months right away but that for further back than that they would have to submit the request to their processing center. I stated that I would call the processing center directly. The nice friendly lady from eVoice told me that their processing center didn't have a phone. When I asked to speak to her supervisor another nice woman came on the phone. She was unable to satisfy my need to have all my money immediately refunded and she also told me that the processing center didn't have a phone. I asked for her supervisor and she said she didn't have one. I asked for the phone numbers of the owner of the company...surprise...they didn't have a phone number!!! This woman did give me the address of the processing center. It was a post office box. Another reported phone company scamming company has a post office box two numbers away from eVoice's. I called that company, they provide a very similar service but have never heard of eVoice. I asked the person from eVoice's neighbor is they had a processing center...wow!...they do!...and...(wait for it)...they don't have a phone!! The guy from this second company really, really wanted my phone number. He asked for it 6 times during our conversation. It got funnier and funnier as the call progressed. At one point I had the guy tellling me outright that if I drove to the address and looked into the post office box there, that he would be in it working.
    Bottom line, these guys are bottom feeders. Keep fighting with your phone company, mine finally refunded my money from eVoice and two other scammers by reversing the charges back to the companies.

• Ut
    utexasnurse Oct 08, 2010

Yes, this is a complete scam...and, I have a story that outdoes the rest. When I signed up for service, they immediately charged my credit card for the monthly $29.95 fee (which was not supposed to happen until after my "free" trial period). THEN, almost immediately after that charge went through, another charge went through for $520.00. The retailer was "Yahoo Search Marketing". After LOTS of phone calls to Yahoo, I finally got the right person who knew all too well what had happened. These eVoice people make a charge to Yahoo Search Marketing on your card, then eVoice cancels the marketing services with Yahoo and eVoice gets the $520.00 refunded to THEM. I have called my congressman...not to mention Bank of America, who refunded my $520.00 the next day. STAY AWAY FROM EVOICE...THEY ARE THEIVES!!!

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices