Alde Masonry & Heating — Beware of this company!
The email below is to the owner, Paul Goldstein, of a company by the name of:
Alde, Inc. Alde Fireplace & Chimney
Alde Masonry & Heating, Inc.
The job discussed was completely remaking an old fireplace that was unusable. The job was supposed to take about a week and had gone on for two months. They had almost completed the job but had to tear it down and start again as it was so bad, it was not salvagable. The owner of the company has been onsite only once. The crew has damaged my floors and furniture. They came unprepared and had to borrow tools and material from my other contractor. However, Paul is a very friendly and believable person - up until the very end when we said his company would not be finishing the job.
The inspector was at the house today and it appears we have some issues. Here's what he found:
1) The flue liner's 6" diameter is too small for the fireplace, we need a 8" x 12", 96" sq liner. The liner being too small would be the cause of our sample fire burning well when the flame was high and then allowing smoke into the house once it started to burn down.
2) The base of the fireplace is cement and will crack over time from use, this needs be chopped up and removed and replaced with the base to the bellfire or another fireproof material.
3) The cement cap on the top of the brick surrounding the flue pipe isn't pitched away from the pipe and needs to be recapped w/correct pitch.
4) new cooper flashing for chimney needs to be done
5) cement dropped on the roof needs to be removed
6) bricks need to be cleaned
This mason has 25 years experience and is willing to discussthese issues with you, if needed. He can also provide them inwriting if you'd prefer.
At this point, I think we're going to wait until we get an estimate from the mason on the costs to fix these issues. We will then discuss with you any refund needed to cover the costs. We will not be moving forward with you to finish this job. I'm hoping you understand the need to get experienced & capable people in to help us finish and move on.
BEWARE of this company!
Long Island, NY