US Bankclosing of the checking account

On December 1, 2008 I have became a victim of identity fraud. All of my personal information was stolen and I was advised to close all of my accounts. The same day I went to my local US Bank branch located in Meijer in Rolling Meadows (1301 Meijer Rd, Rolling Meadows, IL 60008 ph#[protected]) and closed my savings account. At first I wanted to keep my checking account open because I was waiting for some transactions to be cleared. On December 4th I have received an email notification from US Bank that my address on the checking and money market account has been changed and if this is not correct I need to come in to the branch. I left my work and went to the Rosemont location (9575 W. Higgins Rd Rosemont, IL 60018 ph#[protected]) and talked to the branch manager Doug Karlic. I explained my situation and told him to close the account as soon as possible even though some transactions are still pending. I was told that it will take up to 48 hours for the system to close this account. I advised him to close it so I can have this issue resolved by the end of the week. Few days later I went to Elmhurst branch (536 S. York Rd, Elmhurst, IL 60126 ph#[protected]) to close the money market account. I needed to go there with my aunt who was a primary person listed on this account and she opened this account at that location and we were told I will not be able to close this account without her signature. Again, we explained the situation and ask for the account to be closed. Everything was done the same day and money market account was successfully closed. I asked the customer service representative about my checking account and was told it is still open after 48 hours later. She advised me to call the customer service 800’s number and talk to them. I placed numerous phone calls to their customer service department and every single time I was told a different thing. Basicly they told me that they will not be able to help me with closing that account because I have to go to the branch where the account was open which was Elmhurst branch. After calling them they said that the closing of the account can be done at every US Bank branch. When I told them that I already requested that at Rosemont branch they directed me over there. So I went there and again was told that this will take another 48 hours because the system didn’t recognize the previous request because I had some transactions pending. I said I wanted this account to be closed right now and I’m willing to pay any fees but I want everything to be closed. I was promised it will be closed in the week. Today is March 23, 2009, four months later and my checking account is still open. I just received a statement from US Bank saying my ending balance on the account is $0.28. I truly don’t know what to do anymore. I called customer service so many times and visited the branches few times, talked to many people at US Bank and no one is able to close my account. I wonder how hard it is to close the basic checking account. US Bank never apologize for anything. This entire process took a very bad toll on me. I was constantly stressing out that someone will try to access my personal information on that account, especially when someone already tried to change the address on this account.
I have been US Bank customer for over 6 years and I will never do any business with this institution ever.

• Valerie Jan 25, 2008

I did not learn about the $.25 charge per use for using my debit card until I overheard a teller explaining it to a new customer approximately 1 month after opening my account. I reviewed the literature I had and couldn't find anything describing such a charge. To avoid such a frivolous charge to my account each time I purchased something with the card, I began using the charge function instead. That prevented the $.25 debit charge, but the transactions weren't showing up on my account in a timely fashion. As a new customer, I was specifically instructed to go by the 'available balance' for fund availability. However, the bank conveniently wasn't posting transactions in a timely manner, which skewed my true available balance.

I have all receipts for transactions using my US Bank card since I opened the account. I have compared ALL transactions for a particular day to the available balance shown on the paper statement on that date, and NEVER did I EVER go below the available balance on my statement. However, each month US Bank has charged me multiple overdraft charges (at $35.00 each) for overdraft charges THEY say I had incurred that somehow didn't show up on anything, whether in my online banking statement nor the paper statements I have.

This bank is a bunch of crooks and should be held accountable for their poor practices.

• Valerie Sep 23, 2008

My wife and I got a security system for our home last month. The monthly fee, taken automatically out of our checking account was supposed to be $44. The security firm took out $143, putting our account in the negative. In one day, U. S. Bank had our account to minus $127. We deposited $313 the day we found out the account was over-drawn.

That was last Wednesday. By Friday, they had the account in the minus again, to the amount of $127 again. There had been absolutely no activity on the account from us in those three days. No checks were written, and we did not use the debit card. My wife called the bank and all customer service would tell her was that there were overdraft charges, but they would not tell her what they were for or how we got them. By this Monday, the account was over $300 in a negative balance.

I noticed in another one of these reports that someone said U. S. Bank charges you $8 for every day that your account is in the negative. That is absolutely true, but even better than that, they then charge you a $37.50 fee on the $8 they took out because the $8 came out of a negative balance. So you actually get charged $45.50 for every day the account is the negative.

My wife has talked to the manager of the bank and I have tried to call him a couple of times, but he does not return phone calls, and he is always too busy to talk to anyone, whether by phone or in person.

Any helpful people out there who want to tell me some soothing advice like I should keep more money in the account, or have a budget, spare me. The negative balance was not our fault, and U. S. Bank has used the opportunity to hose us to the amount of $762 so far We had to deposit another $450 that we didn't have today to get the account back into a positive balance. U. S. Bank takes every opportunity to relieve people of their money. If you can't give someone constructive advice on how to fix the problem, don't give advice at all. Some of us actually have to live from pay check to pay check without a safety cushion.

• Cl
    Clark Feb 28, 2009

Be aware please consume do not open account with US BANK.

• De
    Denny Mar 05, 2009

It comes to my attention within last 7 days, my checking account with US BANK overdraft charges of $37.00 X 15 over $500 hundred dollar. I call the us bank they cannot clear explain to sole reason, this is deceives business practice I hope they are sugarcoated one of this day.

Be aware please consume do not open account with US BANK.

• Sp
    splais1 Oct 22, 2009

U.S. Bank is a huge fraud and only out to screw you the customer. I have excellent credit, neer missed a payment or defaulted on anything. I submitted a CC aplication to combine three Cards onto one and take advantage of their 0% interest for 12 months. The approved the application, then only trnasferred the two small amounts and charged me $50 in trnasfer fees. When I asked what happened to the third thransfer they said they didn't approve it. I said why wasn't I told? Asked to reverse the whole thing, told I couldn't; asked to have my limit increased $2000 to cover the third transfer, told I'd have to wait 6 months. I could cancel the card, they were fine with that, but they would keep my $50 transfer fee. Stay away from this bank, they are a dishonest operation.

• My
    Mylin Feb 10, 2010

Don't know if anyone at will actually read this. Be humane. Do things for the greater good instead of enforcing policies that ruin people's lives.

Times are hard, but do corporations have to become hard hearted in the process? Sometimes I wish that I could have lived during another time period and also in a culture where materialism was not viewed as a virtue. I know of someone who has dealt with this institution and the mayhem that it has caused in this persons' life. No amt of money in the world is worth all that.

• Na
    NasL98 Dec 01, 2010

US Bank is very inefficient when processing loan applications. We suppose to close our house today (11/30/2010), but we still do not know (thru our broker) when the loan will be closed! This has had huge impact on our plans - moving plans, renting the current house, etc. We do not recommend you using US Bank for your future purchase unless you have six month to work with. The excuse we were given was that it's the procedure that delays everything. When they received the appraisal two weeks ago and we receive a letter yesterday (dated 11/24) requesting for Appraisal, I do not think it's the procedure that slows down the process.

• Lf
    lfaulkner Jan 24, 2011

The service department did not close my account when I called about a lost card. They refused to put the card on hold, and said that they have NEVER allowed temporary holds on cards. I had been given a temporary hold on another occasion with very friendly and warm service, so I questioned this. I suppose because I questioned it, they simply decided to cause me trouble. I found out almost 10 days later that they had not closed the card, nor had they mailed me a new debit card! When I called back they made no offer to investigate the wrong handling of my account. Putting the supervisor on the phone made the situation much worse. She was cold and rude. She repeated the statement that they cannot put a temporary hold on an account - kept repeating this, no matter what I said. At first I was calmly asking her questions, and finally she said "Oh, you said ACCOUNT - we can't put a temporary hold on an account. " I said, no, actually it's pretty clear that we are talking about a card! Every issue that I tried to bring up, there was nothing but a brick wall from the other end. This was to the point of being abuse. When I had reached the point of frustration to where I was raising my voice, I said that I would need to speak with someone else. Then she proceeded to threaten me with a $25 late fee to rush the card to me. She did not offer any help or options at all until I got to the point of frustration - then she said "Mam, if you would have let me talk, I was going to offer to rush you a card. " I said, I have been calmly asking questions for 15 minutes here and you offered nothing! Of course I got frustrated! Your job is to offer service, and you have not been responsive to my needs at all. During this she was interrupting me the entire time, and saying that they do not HAVE to waive the $25 fee to rush the card to me -- even though they screwed up and didn't mail the card to me!!! I finally told her that I am very worried that I gave my social security number over the phone to a guy who did nothing at all after telling me the card would be closed. And I am not getting a good feeling from her, either. I told her I would rather just speak to someone else to close the card. She finally said, well then you can just call the 800 number again. She also told me that she was as high as I could go - that I would not be successful in complaining to upper management! And there truly is no complaint line, so customer service for US Bank is a JOKE!

• VonBrumm Jan 27, 2011

Cards are not temporarily shut down. Accounts can have a temporary hold. I am sure since you had no clue what you were talking about with customer service and using the wrong wording, they were more confused than you, and since they are actual humans, I am sure you annoyed the crap out of them too for insisting they can do something they cannot. Nothing like non bankers who think they know more than bankers. Get a life and harass another bank.

• Mo
    moni09 Apr 01, 2011

Yeah thats just total [censor]..the don't give a damn about their customers, I have dealt with them, and they are just so rude...i am sorry about your situation, i hope all is resolved now..im going to BS right now cuz of them too

• R0
    r00stason Apr 04, 2011

interestingly it seems to be ok to do these things. I opted out of the overdraft yet they continued paying and charging and charging. Call them today and you will get the run around from every single person at the bank, c/s, every f'n where. They lie at every level and don't even know they are and teach other how to lie without knowing.
    If I treated customers like they treated me they'd call me a crook, fraud, robber. But not the damn bank

• De
    Dels May 29, 2011

I don't know about the rest of America, but US BANK to me is a CROOKED BANK. Not only did they boast of being 0ne of Two banks that made a profit in 2008, they took billions of dollars in taxpayers money to pad their pockets. Here is the CROOKED PART they adjust their computerized bank records to STIFF their CUSTOMERS. Just last night my wife was out and checked her balance at an ATM, it said she had enough monye for a moderate withdrawl. When she got home later she went on line to validate her balance and check how much she need to depsoit to bring her account back to where it was. I went to a US BANK branch at 9:00 AM and made a cash deposit for her. When I got home she checked her balance on line again as she always does and just like clock work, US BANK changed her balance records putting the last nights withdrawl five down, before the other withdrawls previously taken out, and then proceeded to put her in negative status for the prior withdrawls. Four charges of $37.50 for each transaction = $150.00 in US BANK charges. To me this is manipulation of bank records and theft by deception of CUSTOMER CASH. I want to see more reports posted on the site and I will look from time to time to see the response. My God are there any HONEST business people in AMERICAN BUSINESS ? These CROOKS - US BANK show be PROSECUTED !!

• Mt
    mtwdrw Jun 15, 2011

Ambivalent wording regarding application of payment to their credit cards, does NOT cover when you have TWO zero interest balance items.
    They applied payments for 5 months to new zero interest item and not to original balance.
    I phoned and was told they didn't know how to get payment or part of payment to old balance. I wrote: the 2 letters did not address my issue.
    One in fact said they couldn't issue another card. I didn't ask for another card. I phoned again and was told in spite of wording that did not
    address application of payment to TWO zero interest items, I must pay my account in full $9470, to pay off the $2129 that becomes interest
    bearing next month. SLEAZY. Other banks are clear in their wording or work with one if they want to keep you as a customer. I closed the account.
    Luckily I have the money to pay off this account and forget about them.

• Kr
    K. Rodgers Feb 01, 2012

I do have to admit that after six years of banking with them they have shown me the very opposite of 5 star customer care. I have had a secured Visa and checking account with them for several years and even though I have received generous credit from Bellco Credit Union, Capitol One, Bank of America, and HSBC, I always fail to get my US Bank card converted into a non-secured card. I faile to see their reasoning behind this, if my credit is that bad why do I have these perfect accounts with these first and second tier lenders. I moved all but a thousand dollars of my direct deposit to Bellco and leave a cool grand that I am sure to always spend in the US Bank account. I only deposit money their because of the card I have with them, otherwise I would have dropped them like a hot coal. I makes me sad, I banked with them because my mother has worked for them for around eleven years, yet they can't extend me real credit. This company is doomed to fail, they are not worthy of my money or yours, I recommend Bank of America or a local credit union, skip the money junkie tight-wads.

Bellco Car Loan 9K
    Bellco Visa 1K
    Bellco Personal Credit Line 500
    Capital One Rewards 750
    Capital One Classic 500
    Bank of America Visa 500

But never good enough for US Bank, nor are they good enough for me!

K. Rodgers, Colorado

• La
    latishe & Mark33 Jun 28, 2012

For everyone that use "us bank" n any state please contact me on here or via my email that is currently displayed. We ate starting a class action law suit. If you want to be fairly treated, receive the monies back they took or stile from you, get back your ridiculous over draft fees, please respond let us be heard because clearly they don't care but i do. . . [protected]@yahoo.com. . Email me to be included. .

• Tu
    Turbogoon Jun 28, 2012

Do you care about spell check and how to turn off crusie control? This post burned my retnas.

• La
    latishe & Mark33 Jun 28, 2012

Lol.. I see you Nothing better to do. If you don't like the complaint then don't read it. Simple your comment means nothing.

• Tu
    Turbogoon Jun 28, 2012

I couldn't read it. Thats why I posted. Between the all caps, spelling and terrible grammar how could one read it? Let alone give you information for a class action, I wouldn't trust you with my dog's name.

• briannikki Jul 29, 2012

Now I'm worried, we are closing on a mortgage with them on 8/1. It's been difficult dealing with them, you have to keep every e-mail just to prove what they said. She would tell us one thing then when I mentioned she said something different before I would have to go back in my emails to prove it. I tried to go with our current bank however they wanted a full appraisal and I knew I wouldn't pass it. US Bank only did a drive-by. I hope this doesn't turn out badly, hoping for the best.

Nikki Milwaukee, WI

James E Tucker Oct 05, 2012

Got a letter stating they had issue a check on May 22, 2012 and that the check had not cleared. It took a week to get thru on their phone lines, I informed them that we never rec'd the check and they said, I'm sorry but we show it was mailed. I told them I check all our financial records and we never deposited that much money and don't recall ever receiving that check. She said that in order to get a replacement check we had to pay a $15 fee to cancel the last check. I told her I didn't feel it was right for me to pay for a check cancelation for something I never rec'd. I guess that doesn't matter. They say they mailed it and that I must have rec'd it. Great customer service. So if I want the balance of the money I put up with this kind of treatment.

• Ah
    A. H. M Mar 11, 2013

I opened the a/c when i was 23 with US Bank now 42. I moved overseas 10 years ago with a debt of $35000 from the same bank and paid every penny. I bought a house and again took a loan from US bank for another $15000 to $20000 and paid that off. 3 years ago i moved my family back and was sending money every month to cover their expenses during my financial crises. I didn't take any more loan from US Bank. Couple of months ago i decided to come back to my family and started to sell everything i had abroad. My brother in law took $20000 from me here and deposited in my a/c through someone in US. The bank started giving hard time to my wife and had here take cashier check for $10000. I called them and they said that someone else can not deposit money into our a/c. The rest she paid off the car and spend on living and bills. US Bank closed the a/c without sending any information which the claim they did. My wife opened the a/c in Bank of America and i am sending the money there for the family. I am moving back and selling everything plus my end of service bonus award will all be send to BOA. They are very happy and we are very happy. I deeply regret giving business to US Bank who do not value their costumers. I am a proud American and I always thought that making and sending money from abroad some how helps the economy little bit. P.S they closed everything but left a $20000 credit card open.

• Su
    SUSSAN63 Oct 31, 2013

I received a letter from us bank stating that they haven't received my credit card payment. However, i make the payment on line with bank of america bill pay and it always goes out a day or two before the payment is due. I was told today that they don't post the payments for about 8 days so you get nailed with a late fee. The supervisor i talked to was rude and told me that i was wrong and it is my fault that the payments are posting late. She also told me after i told her that i had been in customer service for 20 years that i wasn't because i was not listening. Ummmmm... Customer service says you should listen to the customer instead of telling them they are wrong and don't know what they are talking about!! Don't ever get a us bank visa!!!

• Mk
    MkStItCh Nov 01, 2013

You know, the due date is NOT the date you have to have it to them. It is the date it needs to be payed by. That said, I would agree with you if it was sent 4-5 days early, not 1-2 days before.

• Db
    dbbakercl Jun 01, 2015

I refinanced my mortgage to get away from this company. The loan was paid in full on May 6 2015. I received a letter from dated May 8th saying I would received escrow refund in 10 working days. It's June 1sr and still have not received my refund. I have called them several time and was told I am elevating your call then was ttransfered to a voice mail.

• Db
    dbbakercl Jun 01, 2015

I refinanced my mortgage to get away from this company. The loan was paid in full on May 6 2015. I received a letter dated May 8th saying I would received escrow refund in 10 working days. It's June 1sr and still have not received my refund. I have called them several time and was told I am elevating your call then was transferred to a voice mail.

• Aw
    AW01142011 Jul 28, 2016

I, Personally have never had a problem with US Bank before today.
    I stepped in to fax off some paper work (I'm not an account holder, my husband is) and I was rudely and loudly confronted by the Branch Manager there, "Bob".
    He asked if I had an account and I responded that I did not but my husband and all of his family did.
    He asked where my account was and I replied, "Arvest" He then began to slander and bash said bank getting louder and more rude.
    He then asked what I was faxing and when I told him they were documents for a home loan he then inquired as to where the loan was from.
    Upon finding out the loan was not from US Bank he then began to ask personal questions as to what loan rate we had qualified for, what type of loan it was, ect.
    I was upset and shocked to be receiving this kind of behavior from a BRANCH MANAGER but I answered his questions anyway.
    Upon receiving these answers he became mad and said they would go ahead and fax the info but asked that the teller taking care of the fax "only make sure that part of those papers go through"
    I used to work for a bank and I KNOW this is NOT how you treat customers, potential customers, or ANYONE you come in contact with.
    His behavior was BEYOND rude and appalling, extremely unprofessional and very offensive.
    His name is "Bob" and he is the Branch Manager at US Bank, North Little Rock Arkansas on JFK Blvd.
    I must add, to their credit, the tellers and loan officer present were extremely nice and tried to ensure that the rest of my experience was a pleasant one.
    After recounting this experience to my husband, he is removing all accounts from US Bank and his entire family who have been account holders for 20 years are also removing their accounts.

• Od
    Odolten Aug 03, 2016

On 2/18/2011 I made a cash deposit in the amount of $1500. and now I cannot get any money out of my account I've been calling us bank 24hr customer service line for 4 days and everyone I spoke with including 4 managers could only give me I don't know for an answer to every question I had regarding my money. 1st there was manager by then name of audry morrow @ the branch where I opened my account at. who promised me that she would have my funds avalible to me with in a hour. two hours has went by and she never called like she promised she would. so this time I called their customer service center I spoke with a rep named matthew that told me he refuse to let me speak with a manager because he know that a manager there in the call center was not going to help me! so I asked him was he refusing to allow me to speak with a manager there in the call center his answer was "YES"!!! because that was a branch issue and that I would have to follow up with my branch where I opened my account. and without notice transfered me to the branch. it wasn't until a rep named jessica got on the phone that I knew he transfered me to the branch where I opened my account. I tried working with her & then she began to be rude as well and say well "I DON'T KNOW YOU'LL JUST HAVE TO WAIT TO SEE IF I CAN DO SOMETHING OR JUST TRY AGAIN LATER! so I asked her to give me a number where I can file a complaint she refused just like matthew did. up until now I can't get any of my money & this have been going on since 2/19/2011 @ 4pm central standard time. today is 2/22/2011 well after 1pm I still haven't got my funds. and would like to speak to someone regarding this matter. it so obvious that us bank do not value their customer's after speaking with 4 different managers I cannot belive that not one of them would not help me. my money matters to me. and I would not refer a "DOG" to this bank. and I am going to also contact my local tv news station and air this bank on tv because I have other customers who banked with us bank for years who has had to close their account with us bank due to the unprofessional way of dealing with customer's and for the record I am a call center supervisor and I know that a customer service rep or manager should never tell a customer "I DON'T KNOW"!!! THAT IS VERY RUDE, UPSETTING AND DISRESPECTFUL!! AND A REP SHOULD NEVER, NEVER EVER REFUSE A CUSTOMER TO SPEAK WITH HIS OR HER MANAGER OR SUPERVISOR!!! CONTACT ME @ [protected].

• Se
    servinggod Aug 03, 2016

i called so many times on this house 19185 danbury detroit mi that there were sqwaters in the house with pit bulls and ive got kids i live right next door to the house. they me to call a realastate agent for what they need to take care of the house they own .now iam in the process of getting a lawyer cause my daughter got lead poisioning from the house i really dont know what else to do .

• St
    stan jerian Aug 03, 2016

The problem with USBank is that their technology is out of date. The online banking does not give an accurate portrayal of what happened on a given day. If you go in to the bank and ask for a detailed list of transactions and authorizations you will see where the account went negative.

Jacky Aug 03, 2016

I have been a customer to USBank in North Canton Ohio for 2 years and I just received 2 overdraft charges in the amount of $37.95 a piece when the account never dropped into the negative. I called the bank because it is very obvious that $200 - $20 does not equal -$11 and they said it did go into the negative.

Well I can't really argue because I have no power to do so, I can only say OK here is my money. I have done research and there are other people that have had this same issue.

I would highly recommend that NO ONE open a checking account at usbank, they just want your money.

• Ba
    bass fishing Aug 03, 2016

Is there anyone who has any information on helping out with credit card debt? I have tried consumer credit counseling and debt relief places etc... and they are no help they just want a piece of the pie also. Any and all help appreciated thankyou

MaryAnn Miling Jan 29, 2017

I also bank with US Bank and waiting for 1/31 for direct deposit transaction to happen and then I want to close my account and open at Huntington Bank. US Bank never helped me and are fraud. When I was in the overdraft not long ago, I did everything to put some money into my account so I am above so I am in plus with my account. by the time I got home and went on internet banking, I was in minus again because they withdrew the money from my account and I asked when at the bank in person If I was ok and so did the balance show that I was...in solid $300 good. I got home, I was under 100 meaning in overdraft and I had no auto pay...from my account...they took my money a big chunk of money...they don't give a damn about us customers...so after reading all the reviews above, makes me really paranoid how this is going to play when I need to go to the bank and close my account...and never again have any business with them. I am already on verge of bankruptcy and if they are going to tell me to go to close my account on the other side of town., west side of where I am living and in these weather conditions...and to be told I could have done it at the local branch...I swear I am going to scream at them.