Television ShowsBackground music

N

Lately it seems producers are adding so much background music its almost impossible to hear what is being said. IT'S TOO LOUD!!! I got so frustrated last night watching undercover boss that I turned it off. I'm sure the advertisers are happy to know that I for one didn't see their commercials. It used to be mostly on documentaries or BRitish tv shows but now it poping up everwhere. Why all the noise polution, can't we just hear what people are saying

noise hater Nov 25, 2020

If you live in the uk stop watching tv and cancel your lincense (save yourself some money) and go the pipedown website

• Al
    Alice Lopez Apr 28, 2019

Can't something be done about the loud background music on almost every TV program.Actually there is no need for any music to be played. But if it must be played can't it be turned down to very low. I can not hear what the actors are saying and I can't make out the story line. Please get something done about the loud music.
    Thank you.
    Mrs. Alice Lopez

arpo Jan 31, 2019

Regardless of the many complaints, all tv programs are ruined by background and foreground music - so much that it is often impossible to understand the dialogue. Over 3 million Australians suffer from deafness and most of it is caused by and/or exacerbated by this unnecessary noise. It is safer to watch with all sound muted than risk making your hearing worse trying to hear dialogue through stupidly loud dubbed on music. People are being paid to cause deafness so beware: children in the future will be born deaf because of it. Do something now: Get together a class action and sue the perpetrators for a few trillion dollars before it is too late.

• Ro
    Rod Webb Dec 17, 2018

background music is getting louder, on just about every program, watching project runway at the moment with the sound turned down. Wish the tv station controllers would listen to all the complaints,
    Rod

Joan Markunas Dec 13, 2018

I AGREE WITH EVERYONE. I LOVED TO WATCH THE LIFETIME MOVIES AND THE HALLMARK MOVIES, ESPECIALLY THE CHRISTMAS ONES. WHEN YOU CAN'T HEAR WHAT THEY ARE SAYING AT CRUCIAL POINTS IN THE MOVIE IT GETS VERY FRUSTRATING. I STOPPED WATCHING ALL OF THEM AS IT'S A WASTE OF MY TIME. I RECENTLY STARTED WATCHING THE NEW SHOW "DIRTY JOHN" ON BRAVO. I DON'T KNOW WHY, BUT CONNIE BRITTON NEEDS TO FIND HER VOICE OR THEY NEED TO REPLACE HER WITH SOMEONE YOU CAN UNDERSTAND. SHE SPEAKS TO EVERYONE IN SUCH HUSHED TONES, LIKE SHE IS WHISPERING, AND YOU CAN'T HEAR A WORD. I COMPLETELY MISSED OUT ON WHAT THE HECK THE STORY IS ABOUT. WATCHED 2 MORE WEEKS OF IT, AND I QUIT. PLEASE SOMEONE TELL HER TO SPEAK UP, WORST ACTING I HAVE EVER SEEN. SHE ACTS LIKE SHE IS DOPED UP, NO EMOTION. AND PLEASE TELL WHOMEVER TO GET RID OF ALL THE LOUD MUSIC THEY PLAY ON MOST OF THESE SHOWS, LIKE LIFETIME AND HALLMARK MOVIES.

• Me
    meand you Dec 03, 2018

Can't enjoy tv as music is louder than the dialog.

dawgtawk wellington Oct 31, 2018

It's driving me nuts! Almost no TV Show, Film or Documentary without annoying, sickening and hate sparking constantly nerving background music any more.
    Since 10 years and evermore increasing year by year.
    Sometimes it makes me so crazy that I get visions of destruction like killing those [censored]s in charge by stabbing knives in their stupid heads. You know the ones with total anger and rage. That's the time when I have to turn off the Set.
    Really, in the meantime my consumption of television has come down to maybe 3-5 hours a week because I can't stand it any more. Good shows, some even exceptional are being completely ruined through the permanent pollution with for the show and the ambience of the story absolutely useless ambient background music and effect noises. And then often so load you can't understand even a word being said by actors, off camera voices and narrators at all.
    Why do they even bother at all letting actors voice their characters? Why not go back to the good old days of silent filming and save the money for writers.
    Just let the actors jump around like stupid in front of the camera. One can't understand them anyway.

At the time I'm downloading more and more shows from the 70s, 80s, 90s and beginning [protected]. W O W! Many of those have no music at all and when only sporadic and most of the time kind of quiet with exception of the title music that is being played at those former meant to be advertising breaks.
    What a difference and so much fun understanding everything!
    Personally my opinion is that modern days television can really go to hell!

And those [censored] ups are permanently whining about how rates are constantly declining and old media are losing viewers, listeners, readers.
    Really? Those shmocks haven't found that out by now?

• Me
    meand you Dec 03, 2018

@dawgtawk wellington Joe Kenda is the worst. Can't hear what they are saying.

• Sr
    srgtslady Oct 25, 2018

The background noise on New Amsterdam show is horrid and you can't hear what is being said. This is not the only one during prime time every night. The 3 Chicago shows are the same. Please turn the noise way down so I can hear what is being said and as for Blue Bloods I think they drink that Scotch way to much. They seem to drink every chance they get-are any of them alcoholics yet??

• Cr
    Cracker39 Oct 01, 2018

What is with this new trend of putting unnecessarily loud and obnoxious music or sound effects in TV shows and movies? So many of the TV shows that my wife and I like to watch are no longer enjoyable to watch because the voices are drowned out by sudden blaring music, drums or other sound effects. I have to keep one finger on the volume of the remote to turn the sound up for voices and down for the noise pollution. And it is not just a few networks; it has spread to the History, Discovery, Nat Geo and many other channels. We are abandoning several of our favorite shows because of the increasing difficulty of hearing the dialog. It is either that of just turn the sound off and the close captioning on. REALLY! Why do the producers think we need or want all that loud noise. Are the show content not enough? Why destroy it by overriding the dialog with noise. And we are only one of many folks with this complaint. You lose viewers and we lose what used to be good TV watching. PLEASE! STOP THE NOISE ALREADY.

• Sr
    srgtslady Oct 25, 2018

@Cracker39 I have the same problem and it is very annoying. The background noise on all the shows is to much but I see how many of us feel the same way but nothing is done so maybe we should just save out breath because they don't read or listen to us.

• El
    ElizabethElla Sep 09, 2018

Attention networks!!! Stop assaulting our hearing with the crazy loud background music and sound effects.

• El
    ElizabethElla Sep 09, 2018

Trying to watch 'Murder Chose Me' on ID ( Investigation Discovery) channel right now. The background music soars SO loud, at times, that I can't understand what the people are saying. My ears are now ringing. Very annoying that we can't enjoy or understand the people talking due to the background music soaring to deafening levels. This channel seems to be one of the worst for this happening in certain shows. My ears are seriously ringing from how loud it suddenly soars to. Why do they do this??

arpo Aug 05, 2018

These are all complaints of assault on people's hearing. Complaints won't stop the perpetrators.
    1 in 6 Australia have hearing complaints caused by such assaults!
    The only answer is a counter attack in the way of multi law suits. Sue them for millions/billions/trillions of dollars.
    LITIGATION IS THE ONLY ANSWER

arpo Jul 01, 2018

Want to be an instant billionaire? Invent a remote switch that cuts out completely all 'so-called' background and foreground music from ALL TV programs and adverts. It is completely unnecessary for a huge band to blanket the sounds of war in battle scenes and all the speech in other scenes. Being mostly house-bound I now have to have the volume turned right down and try and lip read everything on TV. I am old enough to remember the silent films with the only background music being muted and coming from a piano.

• Vi
    victor Unkow Jun 05, 2018

No one is listening, time to stop watching . You would think the advertisers get it that they are loosing business and TV and radio get it. I guess they so smart that they don't watch their own shows. I stopped .

• Bo
    bocker May 13, 2018

I am fascinated by the show, Ancient aliens, but have not been able to watch them through, because of the dreadful
    irritating background swishing and loud banging drum noises and cymbals crashing when people are talking there is too much of it, very interesting shows ruined and destroyed by all the continuance of overbearing background sounds.

• Do
    Donna Richards May 08, 2018

Stop the loud music on tv shows!! You can’t hear anything they say.

• Mi
    Misie44 Apr 28, 2018

I have just about given up on TV entertainment of any kind because of the background music, so loud you can't hear dialogue anyway. What makes the producers of television programs so ignorant of how annoying their loud drumming is when trying to listen to what the actors are saying. Television is not relaxing, just total frustration when trying to hear the dialogue you are blasted out by soundtracks. Don't get me started on advertisements. I use mute button immediately, so advertisers shooting themselves in the foot if they think anyone listens to ads. These people just don't get it.

• Ro
    Roger Burdock Mar 30, 2018

Why do we need backing 'music' in tv shows ?
    It is always boring monotonous and nothing to do with the program.
    Who decides what ...music... is played ?
    Masterchef...rubbish music boring, repetive need I say more !
    Don't get me started on games shows !

• Na
    nancyipp Mar 04, 2018

I noticed this thread began in 2012, 6 years ago. So, what good does it do?

• 3r
    3rdcav Nov 07, 2017

I AM WATCHING THE PLANETS ON THE SCIENCE CHANNEL AND THE MUSIC IS SO LOUD THAT I CANT UNDERSTAND THE NARATION, PLEASE CUT THE CRAP OUT.

John osbourne Sep 10, 2017

We started to watch Dr Steven Greer`s latest video on Netflix called `Unacknowledged` we have waited a long time to view this documentary. When we watch anything whether a film or documentary we are people that like to listen to the story or facts. Unfortunately that was not to happen with`Unacknowledged`, from the very beginning we could not shake of the overriding music, your brain was trying to separate the dialogue from the music which after 15-minutes was to-much. My wife looked at me, we shook our heads and turned it off, I tried to complain to the producers but it seems as though no one is listening. Today`s TV and Film Producers must be a right bunch of imbeciles, they produce a good documentary film or TV show then they make it difficult for the public to hear what is being said . Its time for a big change.

• Sh
    [email protected] Aug 29, 2017

I am finding the background music so distracting and I am unable to listen properly. Is there any way of broadcasting in a way where the viewer has an option of switching it off?

DavidL64 Aug 08, 2017

OMG I am watching investigative discovery and it's the most annoying thing in the world. Music is over lapping the commentary of the show. you can't even hear what the hell they are saying. REALLY ? I am paying for this ?

Beverly J. Wyer Jul 23, 2017

Please, please stop the background loud music.We can not hear the people talking. I haven't found one person that llikes it. It is very, very disturbing..I hope that as you get older you will wake up to the fact that you can not hear as well.
    Although many younger people can not hear the people talking either. It is absolutely so annoying. [email protected]

• Ta
    Talkwench May 04, 2017

Why is it necessary to play heavy metal music in between dialogue on some programs. Switch over or mute is my response, it is horrendous.

Chris Sampson Apr 07, 2017

The background music just spoils every program, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE remove it, its not necessary whatsoever.
    Chris Sampson, Worthing

Dave Oatley Mar 12, 2017

I'm so happy to see so many others feel this way! And I think it's telling that there are zero dissenting comments here. No one would miss the music, but like ignorant, arrogant fools, they will continue to drown us in it. Until we finally get the message and stop watching.

• Mi
    Mike Le Blanc Feb 14, 2017

We've contacted everyone we can regarding this in most every show. Drumming to the point we can't hear what's going on and gives the worst headaches. Their reply: "We have the soundtrack to make you feel a certain emotion as you watch". I replied we turn the show off, how does that help the channel/program? They replied "Artistic License to put as much sound/drumming/music as they want".

• Mr
    Mr.Norway Feb 14, 2017

I agree 100% so ### drumming and loud music on everything. Before they add a little exiting music before something scary was going to happen, but today it's all the time and this made me look all documentary, tv shows on mute. This ### get you stressed and a pulse of 120 trying to relax and enjoy a show. Why don't the produsers look like 3 of this shows on tv to see themself, or do they se it before the crappy music is added.

I looking for a program to remove the music track, I will record and edit before looking from now on.

Mr.Norway

• Br
    Brenda Haas Feb 07, 2017

Maybe the only way to get the networks attention is to get them where is hurts, through their pocketbook! We all need to come together and file a class law suit against them for ignoring our complaints and causing us viewers so much stress when we try to watch their shows. Any thoughts on this?

Betsy Wooden Jan 06, 2017

There is so much un-needed noise on programs now, I can't even enjoy them any more. Did the producers start having hearing problems? It doesn't make me want to turn the show up, just OFF. Homicide Hunter is one of them. When it first aired, it was a good show. Now it's just noise. Too bad. I really enjoyed it. WHY the noise??

• Mu
    Murb321 Jan 01, 2017

It is really irritating. Lots of time we turn off the TV because we can't hear the dialogue over the unnecessary music. That means those expensive ads are a total waste.
    Another aggravation is actors who mumble. Many times they don't even open their mouths. Try enunciating...
    If these aggravationsites keep up more and more peopen will stop watching tv .

• Gb
    Gbeardsell Dec 25, 2016

Agree with all the comments on this site. So SO SO annoying! Blindspot (I think) is the most obvious one and most annoying. I completely stopped watching after two episodes. Quantico is not much better. I wonder who will take note of these complaints and do somethng about this.

• Ju
    Juanita Gray Glass Nov 27, 2016

I have a sensitivity to repetitive sound. And the noise ("music?) used in TV shows is not only annoying, but physically hurtful for me. I have given up nearly all TV shows. I cannot use CC because it goes too fast. Why do TV shows have to have the absolutely stupid sounds and so very loud. For me even making it quieter would not help. It does NOT help the shows. And it certainly does not entertain, only annoys.

bee baker Aug 15, 2016

Someone - PLEASE - provide information on whom to call or write regarding the offensive, loud, and very irritating background music that prohibits enjoyable TV watching. I refuse to watch anything but the news now and will NEVER, NEVER buy any products that are sponsoring these obnoxious background music programs. Do we need to write our congress representatives to look into this and force the FCC chairman into action? TV is truly a "wasteland" these days!!

Ana Reyes Jul 24, 2016

Stop making shows movies documentals anything that involves people talking... Stop putting back ground music
    There is no need for annoying noise...
    Stupid people make us listen to discusting noise... You go to the store the darn music is so loud you got the gas station the fuc... Is loud any where u go is loud music.. Slpwcially some commercials this is the reason why people are getting crazy...

• Wi
    William Odonnell Jul 09, 2016

I like to watch discovery on sky. But I have been getting rather fed up listening to background music over the top of the actors voices.
    The music is just far to loud and very annoying

• To
    Tony Avola Jun 24, 2016

I stopped watching some of my favorite shows because, "please, please, please, cut off the awful loud music (noise) in the shows".

• Sh
    Sharon Poncetta Kyle May 29, 2016

I agree with all of the above comments but apparently no one in the business (TV production) has been made aware of the situation, otherwise something would be done about it. Not sure of the need or purpose for music during dialogue. Our complaints hear go on deaf ears.

• Hl
    hlvohl Apr 07, 2016

Anymore the background music is so loud you can't hear/understnd what the actors are saying and as a result you don't know what the program is about. It is so annoying I often shut the TV off.