Shoppers Drug MartEmployee

C Oct 02, 2020

Complaint regarding: shoppers-drug-mart-b105884">Shoppers Drug Mart, 2446 Bank St, Ottawa, ON K1V 1A4

Friday, 02Oct2020 1230hrs

I went into this Shoppers as a customer for well over thirty years. I have purchased many beauty items over the years, as I found the individuals there to be quite helpful and pleasant to deal with - they have known me for a long time.

Although I have bought many products over the years, I did not realize I could bring them back if they were not the right colour, broken/mishapen etc etc. Tuesday last I purchased over $100 worth of beauty products, not only for myself, but for my daughter. The employee (Claudette) was extremely helpful. I mentioned how disappointed I was in a few of the last products I received. She made sure to tell me to bring the products back if there was any problem... repeating that a few times.

Two of the products I decided to take back - one eyebrow liquid was missing the brush that was supposed to be inside. The other was a Stila eye pencil that after three days use, I could not get the pencil to roll up for more marker.

I walked into this Shoppers, greeted an employee whom has helped me many times over the years - with my mask on but under my nose. I am exempt from wearing a mask. I find people seem to be more comfortable if I at least have a mask on my face. This employee - a long time employee - was surrounded by a few other employees. When I smiled and said hello and went to tell her what I needed - I was quite briskly cut off and told to put my mask over my nose. I told her I was exempt - I could not wear a mask. She became rude and seemed to have attitude with whatever I said. I was stunned by the way I was being spoken to and I can assure you, I did speak back!

She started to tell me her husband was in a long term care facility... my reply was that was on her! Not to take her private life and put on my shoulders! If she felt that way, she should quit and not be around anyone!

I was given the product that was missing a part... but was given resistance to giving me another Stila pencil. She did get the original one to work, but then the marker was so far out of the casing, it wouldn't go back in. She had me try to push it back in... as it was my product... but it broke. I asked for a new one... and she was clearly not happy to give me a new one.

I am 67 years old. I am exempt from wearing a mask due to medical reasons. When I need to shop it is either when the doors open in the morning for all stores, or late in the evening before closing... so there are few people around. Today - I was driving by this Shoppers and decided to go in quickly, talk to someone about these products, and leave quickly. I wore a 'half mask' hoping that would make people feel more comfortable. When we were exchanging the products at the counter - her with a mask on, and a plastic divider, our conversation did not take a pleasant turn - as I told her I went to that particular store for so many years, and she was always such a pleasant person... but I was so disappointed with the way she spoke to me, treated me... and as I did this I put the mask down under my chin. She reacted like I spit in her face... that was the end of it for me. This employee needs some time off... as if she thinks she can talk to a person that way, and we are just going to accept her attitude, she is going to turn away more and more customers.

Never in my wildest dreams did I expect an employee - a long standing employee, who has served me many time over the years - would speak to me in such a way. I have let people be rude to me often over the years - and I 'turned the other cheek'. No more... when an employee speaks to me in a manner such as I was spoken to - I WILL SPEAK OUT!

Caroline Wright