Rockland InternationalBeware of this seemingly lucrative job opportunity!

I would just like to reaffirm what many others have stated via Complaints Board (regarding ALL Cydcor affiliates, and in particular: Rockland International of Troy, Michigan). Beware of this seemingly lucrative job opportunity. The entire company is based upon brain-washing a variety of individuals into falsely believing that Rockland really is, essentially, their best bet in today's corporate world.

When I was temporarily employed with this bogus company, I was under the impression that I would be working with others within my peer group. I am a college graduate from an accredited university; approximately 7-8 other individuals within a large group of 25 employees actually held college degrees.

Don't get me wrong, I have a great deal of respect for those that find college to be the wrong path for themselves; I think that everyone makes the world go 'round, and without hard-working individuals, (with or without a college degree), positively contributing to the economy, America would not flourish.

At the time of my hire, I was genuinely in search of a career that would require me to utilize my university-acquired skills. And, Andy, (the company's "President"), falsely led me to believe that working for Rockland really was a legitimate opportunity for a Bachelor's graduate.

Now, let me get into the logistics behind the set-up of such an elaborate scam as Rockland International (and all Cydcor affiliates). Rockland is, essentially, a Pyramid Scheme. While I was working for them, we were to "pound the pavement," so to speak, and solicit businesses into switching over their phone lines to our designated mother company. The techniques we were repeatedly taught in a cult-like atmosphere every morning revolved around building a sense of closeness with your victim, yet taking the initiative to go ahead with a switch-over when a customer seemed confused. If you could clearly add value to their current phone plan without them taking notice, you were encouraged to deceitfully do so in order to profit. These slight adjustments may seem trivial from an outsider's perspective, yet many companies are getting SCREWED by entrusting a Rockland scammer with their phone bill.

The entire notion of switching over one's phone service is so ridiculous; and, we were taught to leave the premise as soon as possible upon viewing the company's bill if absolutely nothing could be added (read: another phone line, upgraded DSL, any other addition that we could pull outta our a**es in order to increase their current phone billing statement), reiterating how non-customer orientated this company really is. Rockland thrives on promoting a service that really has little or no purpose, with employees that are falsely motivated on a daily-basis to work (and DRIVE) aimlessly for straight-commission and no gas mileage compensation, while Andy and Yvonne profit off of merely recruiting/interviewing unsuspecting and/or desperate individuals.

The most ridiculous part of my entire stint with Rockland International was actually participating in a few of the daily meetings that took place in that cult-like office down Stephenson Highway. Every morning, either Andy or Yvonne (his blonde counter-part) would give a pathetically conducted "motivational speech". I honestly snicker to myself everytime I tell friends/family about the things they would say to us. For example, one morning Andy attempted to motivate us by sharing his life story. Andy's life story? I don't care about the fact that you used to work in a cubicle, and probably graduated with a 2.0 cumulative grade point average from whatever institution you really attended. Your life story isn't inspirational. You have not defeated barriers in order to achieve ultimate success. You are the so-called "President" of ROCKLAND (FREAKING') INTERNATIONAL: an affiliate of Cydcor. A company known to many as a complete scam. You run a Pyramid Scam. You are a recruiter, you are not a president. You promote services to unsuspecting clients. You are, by no means, a true business man.

With that said, please DO NOT pursue a job with Rockland International. You will only end up compromising your morals, putting hundreds of miles on your car, and gaining little to no experience valid in today's TRUE business world. Don't compromise your true worth; luckily, I am now working for a large corporation of which I don't feel comfortable mentioning, and making a salaried income with benefits and a 401k. In a few years, I'd love to go back and get that MBA - mostly so I can tromp all over companies like Rockland International. They've been ripping you off for years, businesses: be aware!

More Rockland International Complaints & Reviews

• Je
    Jessica1986 Nov 09, 2012

he married her cuz she got knocked up and now spends the "millions" and "tons of money" he makes. [censored]. no offense. she was once his boss.

An0n2012 Oct 03, 2012

P.s. Andy is now married to Christina and have a daughter. Now that he is a father I hope he realizes how messed up some of the situations his employees find themselves in. The way the queens trip was handled was terribly unprofessional.

An0n2012 Oct 03, 2012

Andy and his team are now in Norwalk, CT and called Connecticut Acquisitions Group. Same deal as all other previous commenters have stated. Now they are working with direct energy, a large energy supply company. Same pitch of "helping" people when in reality that consists of white lies, manipulation and taking advantage of confused customers. I only lasted 2 and a half weeks when I could finally not ignore all the red flags my instincts were telling me about the job.
    I will say its not that Andy is, per say, a bad person. He found his niche and cultivated it to his benefit. I'm sure if any of us had that opportunity we would've done the same. It's the way in which the 'business' is run that I had a problem with. The cult like behavior ( they discourage you as a new hire to talk to other new hires. You ate directed to speak to your leader who will politely acknowledge and ignore your question or comment) and brain washing practices during atmosphere in the morning and the bells ceremony in the evening. It's the lying and deceiving as well as the cut throat nature when it comes to signing people up. I personally do not agree with this model of business.
    Plus the way in which the position is pitched to prospective employees is very deceitful. They encourage you to take the full commission painting a picture that via this route you can make more money. You won't. The lack of professionalism that this company has further proves contradictory. Any legitimate sale position will compensate you for travel time, will have a comprehensive itinerary of travel plans such as where you will be staying (on the business trip I took to queens it was 4:30pm before we had any idea where we would be staying. Oh, and the hotel they put us in was in one of the more dangerous neighborhoods in Jamaica queens) and business cards, like any normal sales person. As far as the pay goes I personally feel exploited. I spent more money for this job than I earned. Again a typical sales position with a SALARY, BENEFITS and a 401K (none of which are offered until you reach management which can take a year or more) will start you off on a base pay and only after you have proven consistency (usually 6 months to a year) will the company reduce, never completely take away, you base pay.
    Overall I am very disappointed in this job experience. Yes, it may be the job for some people but as for myself, an honest person with a strong moral code of conduct, this was not a good fit.

• Co
    concerned lady Oct 25, 2010

Has anyone on here worked recently for Rockland? I had a second interview today, and after reading these mixed reviews I'm starting to wonder if my decision to turn down the job was a good one. Some people on here were saying its a 100% commission job, but when i called to decline the interview today i was told it was salary +

• Da
    Danny LaNoue Jul 08, 2010

Someone needs to go in there with a hidden camera to document what it's really like to work there! I mean the whole shabang - the interview with Andy, the 1:00 automatic callback after... spend like 3 days there - make sure you get the morning shenanigans in all it's glory (Andy's motivational speeches/the impact sketch/practicing lying to eachother etc., then get the bell ceremony at the end of the day, and then a shot of your mileage before and after. I think that would just about officially put them out of business if that video ever hit youtube!

• Ap
    A_P May 26, 2010

I worked for this company when they were in Brookfield, Wisconsin. Total scam! They pay you 100% commission and do not compensate you for gas. You waste all your money driving around and scamming poor unsuspecting clients. Waste of time and money. Andy also told us how much money he made, but for some reason lived with 4 of the guys that "worked" there - oh and he drove a really crappy car. There is no way he was making the kind of money he told us if he was doing that. Do not trust this company - ALL MIND GAMES.

I'm glad to hear other people out there feel the same way.

noodles1 Apr 29, 2010

I hate to agree with all the people who had bad experiences with this company, but they are not making false statements. What many people don't realize is that he first ran the Rockland International located in Brookfield, WI. How do I know? I was an employee with the company for approximately 5 months. It seems as if the model is to make yourself unwelcome or over saturate the area being worked in. We sold the phone service for SBC. We hit the markets so hard that we would enter a territory immediately after another sales associate would leave. There were plans that effectively stole money from businesses because we locked them into multiple year contracts that were not reasonable and the termination fees were ridiculous. When the well ran dry, we were told, " don't let the no's get to you and keep pushing because the law of averages says you'll get something." This guy is a fraud and I still remember his whole IBM speech. Stop praying on people trying to get a legitimate job.

• Na
    nanos Mar 30, 2010

They Call them selves "Three Seven Marketing Group" now.

• Jd
    jdizz Mar 19, 2010

I was at Rockland maybe 4 years ago and frankly am surprised they are still open, but that being said I was only there for about a month or so. I would never go back, and I do believe it helped me in a few areas such as learning to grind it out. I wasn't big on the morning or evening get togethers to pump you up or any of that extra non-sense.

PRO's

- learn to work long hours, grind it out & some decent sales tactics
    - co-workers extremely friendly, decent work enviornment

CON's
    - use your own cell, car, ect w/ no reimbursement
    - 100 % commission
    - hard to have a passion for what you are actually selling
    - not quite B2B sales (all cold calling, when I think B2B you set up meetings/times/contract negotiations/ect)
    - it somewhat turns you off on a more controlled sales job, because you believe everything is like this one

with that being said i'm not a bitter unemployed ex-employee. I've actually worked inside sales for the past two years & just recently re-enterted the field at a company that offered me a extremely nice salary+commission structure w/ all utilities paid (gas, cell, computer, ect) . I was actually even hesitant to take this position due to prior experience with Rockland thinking every sales job was the same. Eventually i realized that it was not, so don't let this job turn you off from other outside sales positions.

would i go back to Rockland or a company like that - simply never, but do I feel that it can help you for future endevaors; yes.

• So
    Some Guy in Ypsi Mar 18, 2010

So, I would love to come on here and bash this company, but I just don't think that its right. I did work there and I was right out of college just looking for something that would get my foot in the door. I went to a very highly recognized University in Ann Arbor, Michigan and got into a prestigious business school which I eventually graduated from. I went into Rockland in absolute awe of the opportunity I had seen during the interview, and being 22 years old I was pumped. I was tired of hearing all of these big companies handing me job offers where I would make X amount of money for the rest of my life with a 401K and an IRA then just be happy because I went to 'their school'. At the time, that was the last thing I wanted, I wanted growth and an opportunity to make major bucks. Well, I struggled when I started, having now true sales experience, and I was going business to business selling AT&T. To be completely honest, I worked my ### off for nothing for about 3 weeks. then I found my groove and started cranking out numbers on a pretty consistent pace. I was bringing on team members and growing as you're supposed to. Then, I just flat out got burned out after about 8 months, then dragged my feet for 2 more before quitting. The fact of the matter is, you have to have a ton of drive to work at this place and finally get to where you need to be in management. The opportunity is real as I have 4 friends who are still successful within the industry and I know for a fact that the 'little black book of outsourcing' has named CYDCOR (the brokerage that Rockland is affiliated with) the number one outsourcing company in the world. The job is legit, its just hard as sin and I couldn't imagine doing that as a 26 year old with real bills and a lot of life experience.

Now on to the positive. The job teaches you a HELL OF A LOT about sales. How to impulse, steps in a conversation, when to shut up, how to read body language and really just flat out how to sell. It also gives you a perspective on how hard you really can push yourself for a job. I look back and absolutely HATED the days I spent with that company, but I also was talking to one of my HR people who did my interview the other day and he told me that the thing that sold him on me in my interview was that I was able to stand going business to business cold-calling for 10 months of my life. The crazy thing is, everytime I had an interview, people were astonished that I, with my degree and job opportunities, was willing to endure that and I went on 8 interviews with different companies, was offered 8 positions. I know work in a much more controlled sales enviroment with a salary that after commission reaches well into the six-figures at just 26 years old.

That being said, I am not going to tell you that this is an amazing job and that everyone should jump at the opportunity, nor will I say that if you take it and stand the test of time you will be promoted or any of the BS like that. What I will say is that if you are struggling in this economy and can manage to live a little below your means for a while, try it out. This job will take you out of your comfort zone like you wouldn't believe and really test your psyche. If someone were to walk into my office today asking for a job and they could say that they were successful at Rockland for over about 4 months, I would hire them on spot because you have to have one heck of a work ethic to manage that.

To those who say that they are sorry to the business owners that the "helped" because they actually screwed them over, that is 100% your fault. I know a lot of people did a lot of unethical things at that company, but that is not the ultimate goal. I truly believe that Andy could have done more to prevent these practices by his employees and that AT&T could call customers to follow-up with billing information afterward, but I can really say that if a customers bill were to increase after my work was done there it was because they requested something to do so. I almost ALWAYS went back the next month to make sure everything went well with theis bill and ensure that I didn't mess anything up. SO, I can get bashed on here by everyone who wants to make Andy Satan's little sister, but I can appreciate what I learned at ROckland and I wouldn't recommend the position to everyone nor would I EVER go back, but the place isn't that bad.

• Da
    Danny LaNoue Feb 15, 2010

Two weeks and 3 days was all I could stomach. Knowingly doing and saying absolutely anything in order to get some hard working small business owner to hand you their phone bill so that you can quickly analyze it and decide the best way to rip them off is pretty much the Account Manager position. If you manipulate 2 people a day for 5 days in a row you will be promoted. (I never was and I'm damn proud of it) Now the word "promoted" itself usually means more money and is generally a good thing right? Well at Rockland International the word "promotion" is defined: No increase in pay, More miles on your car, More misc. expenses and here's the kicker... You now get to teach Manipulation 101 to some poor shmo who most likely won't be back the next day. On the upside, your title is now Account Executive instead of Account Manager... lol!!! Bottom line is this.. I would rather spend my day looking for cans to recycle than to work for a criminal like Andy Breuninger.

• Gi
    Give Me A Real Job Nov 23, 2009

I interviewed/shadowed back in May and it was a joke. I didn't even understand the basis of the visits to the businesses. There were so many holes. ATT never gives you a list to visit certain businesses, but that's you had to tell them. I wasn't about to stand for that. It was funny because I tried to show interest but toward the end of the grueling 8 hour shadow (which no pay was earned) I gave up. I received a call the next day from Regina (supposed HR lady, HR, my ###) saying that they wouldn't need me. I was relieved.
    Some people who are scammers and don't mind hurting people would like this job. If you have a head and a heart, don't do it. Also, if you like 2009 Jaguars, go for it. I'm sure Ms. Shuster could teach you a lot on how to ruin lives.

• Ne
    Newlywed May 21, 2009

I think that Andy or Carl is writing these super positive remarks. I have an interview in the morning and I am not going to show up. They called me a couple of days after I applied. Now that you mention it, they did mention no selling, door to door sells, or cold calling a lot. Every piece of correspondence from them states that and the website is pathetic. I hate companies like this. I am unemployed and still wouldnt waste my time working here. Nothing is worth this, not to mention me giving up my unemployment check.

this post has really helped me out. I am three classes away from my masters degree and I would have be pissed off working for a company like this. THANKS!

• Pa
    Paul Smith Apr 28, 2009

I owned a business years ago and had some things posted about my company as well on this idiotic site. Do you people honestly believe EVERYTHING your read on the INTERNET?!?!? THIS IS A BLOG SITE! I went to Rockland and interviewed just yesterday! They pay salary plus commission, they don't do door to door and they were HONEST about everything in my interview. Andy told me this is a BUSINESS TO BUSINESS ROLE! Anyone who interviews there and complains is a freakin idiot! Seriously! This site along with [redacted] ruined my business. When I contacted the site hosts, they wanted me to pay THOUSANDS of dollars to get the complaints off. So before you believe what a bunch of unemployed people say on a BLOG SITE on the INTERNET, show some ambition and find out for yourself. Also, here is a little insight as far as where your "source" of information comes from:

marc Apr 24, 2009

Thank you very much for this posting. I have been in sales for 12 years and am accustomed to making over $100k a year. I am so sick of these companies that keep calling me with vague opportunities. You have done a good thing here.

• My
    mystique133333 Apr 03, 2009

Wow, I am so glad I read these. I had an interview with Rockland on Wednesday. The man that interviewed me had told me he would call me between 3pm and 3:30pm. Well, I never did recieve a call from them. I kept going over and over in my head what I may have done wrong. Maybe my dress clothes weren't dressy enough or maybe he didn't like the question I asked. When he was telling me about the company I was so confused as to what the employees even did. To me it sounded like a job that you go door to door and try to sell you customers a new phone line or gas company. So I asked it this was a job where the employees are supposed to go door to door because I was so confused. And the man told me that it wasn't and that the employees deal directly with the consumers, which still didn't make sense to me. But anyway, I never recieved a call back, I have been laid off for the last 5 months and just can't find a job. Needless to say I was so bummed when I did not recieve a call back, but now, after reading these reviews, I am so glad I didn't get a call back. It is funny how things work.

• Be
    Ben Mar 18, 2009

I was on my way to interview today with Rockland. My wife found this website while I was driving and I want to thank all of you for your comments. It saved me alot of time and energy. I am employed and making decent money so as to Kristen J I am not bitter and everything else you wrote. The company might be good for some people, just not me. I"m glad some are able to profit from the company, but it seems to walk a thin line on ethics and business practices. A simliar company called Universal Electric operates in similar fashion that I interviewed with three years ago.

The fact that someone is unemployed does not necessarly mean they should interview or take the position. The driving and use of own car, expenses might result in a loss of money. For someone without a job that would be worse than continuing to look for employment. While practice with interviews I agree is great, it does not appear to be a legitment interview process. Ben

• Bl
    blonde girl Mar 03, 2009

I tried working there. It lasted about 5 weeks. All the people in the office were very nice. But I do not like the way in which they operate. You have to use your own car, own gas, and own cell phone which is among the least of the problems... You go in to a business and are told to say whatever it takes to get people to switch to AT&T. Then all sorts of crazy things people don't need and don't even know about are added to their service so the rep can pocket the profit. Things like $5 for giving someone voicemail. The reps tells the customer they can not have such a great service with out things like call back, caller id... just to name a few. In reality the customer can have as little as they please and it doesn't always make their bill go up as the reps will tell you. Also, on a few occasions I was asked, by some reps who were training me to act as the customer when they were placing the order so they could get some things on the bill without the customer questioning it.
    I appericate that they are nice people just out to make a living like the rest of us but could not stay with the company any longer due to the fact that the only way I would make money is to be dishonest with loyal customers.

• I went to my interview very skeptical thanks to the internet, and 3 websites that tell information about the company basically being a scam. Also, their website is a complete joke for the most part it tells nothing about the company, but does have a careers tab so you can apply. I went to my first interview, and got the call back from carl like everyone said at 2:30. I went in yesterday to go out in the "field", or as I like like to think of it soliciting door to door. I was pissed the whole time I was there because I didn't drive separately. If anyone actually goes for the second time tell your trainer you want to drive separately. Hopefully you will realize that you didn't go to school for four years to have doors slammed in your face, or solicit door to door. If I wanted to walk door to door having doors slammed in my face I would be a Mormon. Also, the person training me gave me 2 sheets of paper of the important aspects of sales, and the salary break down for the different levels of the pyramid scheme. I wish I could scan what she wrote because there were so many misspelled words, and she is the one training me. I would hope the staff responsible for training would at least be able to spell the BS correctly when you are trying to recruit new sheep. By the time I got back to the office I couldn't wait to get out of there. I thanked the trainer who didn't know how to spell for teaching me the ropes, and took off immediately. I was told I needed to go inside to the office because the managers needed to speak to me, but I told her it wasn't for me. I was not about to waste more time on talking to the incompetent people of Rockland, and was only thinking about getting the hell out of there as fast as possible.

• St
    stu Jan 30, 2009

I submitted my resume and received a response with in12 hours. I received a phone call 4 hours later from someone who didn't seem familiar with the fact that I had already been contacted by emai. I found it odd that there were 6 individual positions posted on Career Builder.

Stranger yet was the disclaimer at the bottom of the email "this is not a pyriamid sales opportunity. Do not expect to make a financial investment in this opportunity."

Based on everything I have read I will cancel my interview. The people with positive input sound way to vehement and spend far too much time chastising the people who have claimed bad experiences.

shari dunham Dec 30, 2008

i've said it before, and i will say it again: carl is an uneducated ###. andy should be behind bars for all the small businesses he scewed over. i know times are difficult here in michigan right now, but you are better to be unemployed than work for this company

anynomonous Dec 10, 2008

One more thing and then I will leave it alone. Ask him about companies that he has promoted that have failed. He has and there have been more than one.

anynomonous Dec 10, 2008

Oh and by the way before I get flamed:

I am currently gainfully employed making a salary I am more than comfortable with, so don't call me an unemployed or bitter or a quitter or any other things I would have called someone while I was still entangled...

Just read and ask questions and think.

Thanks.

anynomonous Dec 10, 2008

I am a former employee of Rockland and would like to offer a fair assessment of the position.

First of all many of the statements here have been embellished by what I'm sure is the passion of both sides of this debate. There was a time when I worked for Rockland that you couldn't tell me anything negative about it. They become your family, and no one wants to hear others critique family.

The general descriptions of the interview process on this website is accurate. It seems however that everyone who posts here seems to have had an idiot do their second interview. I was fortunate (if you will call it that) enough to have a leader who knew the company and how to sell it, and I gave her every closing signal in the book as we rolled back to the office.

I was promoted in 7 days (not nearly the 5 day superstar as those who have posted here). My leader was the perfect balance of supportive and disappointed. I worked harder.

But the longer I stayed and the more questions I asked the more I realized things didn't add up. No monetarily, my paychecks were great. I had a background in commission sales and had no problem selling nor any problems with my paychecks. They came weekly and payed my bills just fine.

No the way things didn't add up was in the long term. I was working every day toward the $1000 salaried assistant manager position. I had 3 leader on my team and a second generation that was growing nicely. I attended promoting leader meeting and wrote goals for my whole team. I'll leave my team name out here but it was a great name I'm still pretty proud of. I was well on track to earn my coveted salary and get out of the exhausting field.

And then I started to ask questions. Here is what I found out.

You don't need 5 leaders on your team to be an assistant manager, you need to have a team that has a consistent $5000/ week intake. That would take several more people and even then would depend on where everyone is in there territory if they could pull it off. If your team misses the 5k mark, no salary for you.

Then I asked about how the continuing steps up the company ladder. And I found that it doesn't matter how many companies you promote out you can only be promoted based on a combined earnings. Which means a real consulting position would take at closer to 8 promoted offices than to 5.

And then I started to find out about salaries and how managers pay themselves... I have to say I don't really feel comfortable discussing it here, but if you are at Rockland and reading this... ask him about his weekly paycheck... its legal the way he does it... but something I'm not comfortable with.

I can't say anything bad about the people at Rockland. Everyone was good to me. I hate to call what they do brainwashing. But they are very good at cutting you off from those who disagree with the job. You spend long days (13-15 hours as a leader or a promoting leader) and it naturally isolates you. You go to team night and everyone is welcoming. Good music and encouraging people.

Leaving was one of the hardest things I ever did. Thankfully my old friends took me back.

Road Trips are terrible. Don't ever take one. LOTS of gas money and they are not nearly the cakewalk they are made out to be. Only slightly better than a good day in the field.

I know there will be those on both sides who will call me either still brainwashed or a lair. But I know in my heart I have more than fairly assessed the position.

I won't tell you if it is a good job or a bad job. That is something you need to decide for yourself. Just make sure you really understand the position before you waist your time and your money (and it will cost you money unless you go all the way).

Good Luck.

shari dunham Dec 09, 2008

hey jojo. i am glad you did not get suckered by these A**holes. just one ammendment though. they do not only go after people with degrees. you will not find a larger collection of uneducated ###s in you life. trust me they will hire anyone

jojo Dec 08, 2008

Thank god for the internet otherwise we would all be blindly fooled by companies. I have an interview tomorrow with Rockland International in the morning, but after reading all these blogs and complaints, I am afraid I am going to have to take a few steps back from considering that interview. Some of the stuff I read in people's blogs really creeped me out, especially when people would mention exactly what they got in their email from Rockland. I think everyone got an email that said something like this in it..."I had the opportunity to review the resume that you submitted to us, and after sitting down with the hiring managers we feel you would be a good candidate for this position. Please contact us as soon as possible via email or phone so we can start the interviewing process. "...hmm doesnt that look familiar? because it sure did when I read someone else's blog...this is complete buLLsh*t! How obvious can it be for anyone to know that this a huge SCAM. The scariest part about this whole thing is that i never even applied for this job! I really think this company is fishing for young bachelor graduates (such as myself) on monster or careerbuilder...and once they find someone they either email them or try to call them, to use the "foot in the door techquie...i am so glad i read and did reasearch about this company, other wise i would of wasted so much time and money on a pathaetic companu...!!!

• Al
    Alex Nov 22, 2008

My son, looking for a good job, was hoodwinked into an interview with this company. He was seldom paid on time and when he was, the pay was much less than what he expected. Everything I've read about the company from others is exactly what appears to have happened to my son. I have to believe that the law is close to stepping in and getting rid of these scammers. Lots of driving and gas used.for what? Getting ripped off.

• Mi
    Michael Nov 05, 2008

Thank you so much for helping me not waste my time. I have been hit by the Michigan jobless flu and was eager to get back into hte workforce. I was a bit surprised that only a day after I loss my job i got a call for an interview. The lady on the phone stated that they had received a resume from me and that I had received an interview. I was happy. Though I couldn't hear the name of the company (was in a busy restauarant at hte time), I figured I'd just reverse lookup the number and the places I applied when I got home.

Several things struck me as odd about the conversation. One she made sure to say the interview would take 15 minutes. This made no since to me. the best interviews I have been in took at least 45 minutes. She also said something to the effect of Id be meeting with andy or carl. Usually an HR person knows exactly who I"m interviewing with. The last thing was that I have a busy day tomorrow, but asked what time would be best to schedule an interview. Apparently all day was available, which again raised a red flag. What type of marketing director has an entire day to do nothing but interview.

Thank goodness for the internet. When I was younger, I fell for two of these schemes. One, Cutco knives, took me 8 months and apart of my freshmen year to realize there was no money in it. The second Id figured out after i was told to meet them in some neighborhood to pitch yellow pages at people door to door. That lasted 4 hours. Thanks to this blog, I'm able to not waste a single minute of my time.

These scams work by catering to desperatepeople, usually college kids but any professional in this michigan market. Though you are told to actually sell one thing, in reality you are the real commodity being used by the "recruiter". Usually you risk some illegal or repeptive duty which involves harrasing people. YOu, the commodity are told you'll make thousands but really the manager expects you to make at least one or two sells a week, of whhich hte majority of the income earned goes hire up the pyramid. As a commodity, it is expected that you will eventually get so fed up with your earnings youll quit, which is why there is a constant "recruiting schedule".

I never sent my resume to these scammers, they obviously searched one of the job sights and thought they'd snare me.

Anonymous Oct 04, 2008

Oh, and get your facts straight; anyone GENUINELY making 250k a year is still not within "the top 2% of the financial world."

Just thought you'd like to know, Kristen. :)

Anonymous Oct 04, 2008

Kristen J: if calling someone out for misspelling your name is all you can come up with, so be it.

I highly doubt you are making 250k a year; the fact of the matter is that you aren't an entrepreneur, nor do you work for a reputable organization. Rockland International (and the affiliate that currently employees you) work off a standard pyramid scheme. Without naive, hopeless, half-wits like yourself, these companies would not stay in business. It really is sad that you can't see past their facade.

Economic bloggers and financial writers do not write stories about how affluent Cydcor companies are. In fact, there have been numerous stories written within the past decade shining light on these scams, all the while detracting job-seekers AND businesses from interacting with them.

For you to sit down and "laundry list" your finances on this forum only further reinforces your ignorance. Inside "business secrets" from Andy and Carl? LOL, please...

I pity you, as well.

Cheers!

shari dunham Oct 02, 2008

Kirsten, you are a brainwashed fool. Don't act like you have inside knowledge. I also worked for rockland for a long time. I tried to buy into their BS but ulimately realized it was a scam. Andy is a criminal, Carl is a ###, if you cannot see that, I pitty you

Oh GOD and seriously...

Who has been through more? AND STILL STUCK AROUND? BECAUSE IT ACTUALLY BROUGHT THEM CASH/SUCCESS??

Oh. Sorry. NOT YOU!

So GET OVER YOUR UNEMPLOYED SELF and STOP POSTING LIES!!!

###. SHEESH.

Sorry. One more thing.

"Kristin J - Get a life. LOL! Stop trying to sound profound in your stupid posts about Rockland. There's no philosophy involved with a pyramid-scheme. Stop trying to rationalize the company/your involvement with it. You sound so stupid."

Yeah? Really? HAHA! Hope you, "anonymous, " are making over 250/year.

Hey- my name is in front of you. Spelll it correctly. OH WAIT! You are barely able to function at a minimum capacity, let alone be a part of the top 2% of the financial world. My bad. How horrible of me to point that out. Get back to your hamster wheel. So sorry to have disturbed you. I only hope that ROCKL:AND/C2K didn't BLINK as you spun by, you common/ignorant/unable/###. Just be glad you had the opportunity, one day, to misspell the name of someone you will look up to for the rest of your life.

Maybe try watching "The Secret."

Peace/Love/and (GOD PLEASE!!!) Intelligence.

Kirsten

p.s. so glad I could get it out before I get promoted. Thanks for the opportunity! Have a great life pounding the snow!!!

Formerly Employed Oct 01, 2008

Look. Go for an interview. I worked there for six months. Who knows better than me? Nothing wrong with the company. The opportunity promised is the opportunity available/given. I work for a competitor now, as a manager (starting next week after the move) in Atlanta, GA. Same system. Same promises. Trust me when I say, "they deliver." Work hard, EARN your place, and you will EARN your paycheck. Don't trust some whoo-ha who had one interview and didn't get called back (so they blogged about it angrilly!). Trust a former employee. Andy/Carl are dong nothing but BANKING on you getting to where they are. Otherwise, they wouldn't get further along. They will give you business secrets you've never heard of, all while you earn quite a decent pay.

Who pays more? Let's calculate! (Math never lies!)

Today. I got to the field at 4 p.m. and left at 8 p.m. and did three standard sales. At the competitor (who pays LESS than ROCKLAND) I earned 264 today in four hours of work. That equals... hmm... oh dear! a Whopping $66/hour. Most would say that's great! But the people these businesses look for would say nothing but, "You earn $66/hour? Work more hours! Work harder!" I went to help a trainee. She did two sales. 194. In one day. Considering six days of work or seven, not a bad check.

Straight out of college? Laid off after 20 years? Doesn't matter. At that rate, you'll be doing better than most your age. With the opportunity to make millions in a few years.

My point? Listen! Learn! Take it for what it's worth- MILLIONS. You know, a drop in the bucket compared to the average 24k/year you might get!

And yes! I no longer work there! I"ve quit. I work somewhere else... but can still sing the praises of them because they educated me as to how to make what I do!

So, if you ACTUALLY consider this place for employment, interview! Otherwise, WE (somewhere else) don't NEED YOU! THEY DON'T NEED YOU. Learn to work hard and then apply again! Idiot!

And if you are laid off- and have been looking for work for months- why the heck would you turn down the opportunity to at LEAST interview better? Idiot.

shari dunham Aug 27, 2008

I'll take you up on that

Anonymous Aug 26, 2008

I just want to thank everybody for convincing me not to waste my time with an interview. I have one scheduled for tomorrow at 1230, but I definitely will not be going. After I talked to Regina earlier today, I was pretty excited about going for the interview because I haven't been able to find anything good since I moved home. I called my best friend and he told me the company was a scam and it was a waste of time, so I found this message board and it confirmed everything he said. I just worked at a crap company in California for the last 3 years, which sucked ###, and I'm definitely not going to work for another company that promises the world and never delivers. Instead of wasting gas money, I would rather buy someone on this message board a drink for saving me the hassle, LOL.

shari dunham Aug 26, 2008

It ammuses me that these poor brainwashed souls even TRY to defend this sham of a company. They have NO redeeming values.

Anonymous Aug 25, 2008

Formerly Employed Aug 23, 2008

I wouldn't go so far as to say "napoleon complex." It fits based on office behavior, but not accurate overall. He's actually a decent human being when he's not playing a role. When he's strutting around and acting like his sh.. don't stink, it's only because he believes that it's something that he's learned (maybe from Andy) in order to be more successful. "Everything I do is for a reason." Right, Carl? Even if the reasoning is flawed. AKA scripted to the point of absurdity, gaining nothing but laughs or frustration from employees.

I spoke to this woman today, a customer of mine at my new job. After a few questions about who I worked for, she asked if I was affiliated with Rockland. I told her no, but informed her that I was formerly employed there. She stated that she had an interview in two days.

I was neutral about the description, and everything I had to say was in total disagreement with what she had come to understand from Regina (and I know that Regina doesn't lie, but maybe was coached to say things in a certain way to become more undecipherable).

HR trainer? Immediate residuals based on those said trainees?

I didn't tell her one way or the other. Both she and I made sure she didn't know my name. I told her what the interview process would be like, and she told me that she was a professional that would make up her own mind. I agreed.

The fact of the matter is: we should all live our own lives and make up our own decisions. Maybe for you Rockland was NOT an ideal fit, maybe for me, it was. Maybe she will find there, like never before, a sense of youthful energy that had been lacking from all other interviews.

In sales, we never know what a customer's hot button is. Maybe it is so unexpected that 10 salespeople before you never even touched on it. Maybe in a last ditch "hail mary" we manage to find that one thing that they were looking for. And maybe, a pyramid scheme-like atmosphere is what she really needs to satisfy her delusions of grandeur.

But who are you and I to say?

We aren't. The sane people searching for jobs never end up reading this site. Only the ones that desperately NEED excuses to continue their unemployment checks. And in Michigan, we all know they are plenty but scarcely enough. Or, the ones that are so mad about the fact that they couldn't cut it, they have to tell someone. I am only glad that I was forwarded here by someone who is currently employed there. I don't fall into those categories. I remain on neutral ground.

Anonymous Aug 22, 2008

Hello,

I just wanted to say that this discussion forum is HILARIOUS. To all of you speaking out in support of Rockland: WOW. The juvenile banter, poor grammar, false accusations and generally ridiculous conversation that riddles this board speaks for itself; Rockland International is infested with uneducated CHILDREN.

Listen to yourselves. One person is speaking on behalf of another person - igniting a fire storm of HARSH words (like rape).

I worked at Rockland International. Only for about 1 month. Andy struck me as a college drop-out wannabe-type: always pretending to be far more important and wealthy than he really was. It was almost unfathomable listening to him talk about his weekend golf outings. He's the kind of guy that likes being the big fish in a small pond. It was very clear to me that he was preying on the poor; I mean, we all know the current economic state of Michigan. Sadly, it's more than obvious that Andy wouldn't make it in a real establishment with REAL professionals. And Carl? He was the little guy with the Napoleon Complex, right?

Overall, the place is ok if you want to solicit businesses 60+ hours a week. The most depressing thing about my experience with RI was walking into actual establishments and bothering people with legitimate CAREERS. If you want to contribute to the economy like the rest of the white collar world - stay away from their ONE OFFICE/ONE CONFERENCE ROOM "suite." If you're feeling somewhat desperate - go for it. You may thrive in their bizarre atmosphere. You may really enjoy going on their trashy outings to po-dunk bars down Stephenson Highway. Whatever floats your boat. I'm just glad I realized I didn't want to waste my time there.

Cheers! :)