Richard A. Griffiths of Longview, 74 years old, Longview, TX, 903-759-9599customer service, unclean

P

My neighbor and I were taking a drive in East Texas Sunday, June 4, 2017, 4:22 P.M., when we decided to stop at the McDonald's restaurant in Pittsburg, TX, intersection of Texas highways 11 and 259, to order a soft drink and use the restrooms. After my visit to the restroom, I re-entered the main dining area and seated myself across from my neighbor to enjoy our beverages.

Dorothy commented that she picked the two seat table as it was the only table partially clean enough to sit at. We also noted that the McDonald's crew of about five or six were talking and laughing unusually loud about things unrelated to food orders, standing around idly although there were few customers in the restaurant.

This behavior persisted while we enjoyed our drinks until Dorothy retired to the restroom prior to our leaving. During her absence, I approached a young black lady who was standing behind the counter with a green shirt and black pants, assuming she was the manager as the others wore different uniforms.

This young lady acknowledged she was the manager and I told her in a soft and low voice that most of the tables were unclean needing attention. I meant no criticism of her, only to inform her discreetly. She immediately cut me off and informed me in a combative tone that she was just now receiving enough help to get things done.

Not satisfied with telling me off, she continued her fury by voicing her aggravation loudly to the other employees and customers that I was giving her an "attitude" because she didn't have enough employees to clean the tables. She sarcastically called out to one of the employees to clean tables because she was getting attitude from me.

Dorothy re-entered the restaurant area while I returned to the restroom prior to our leaving. Dorothy stated the manager continued her rant about my attitude in a voice clearly heard by other customers while I was gone. We both commented the bathrooms were dirty with wet floors.

Beyond my original statement to the manager regarding the unclean tables, I never said another word to her or answered any of her rantings directed towards me.

I frequent McDonald's quite often to eat their big breakfast earlier in the morning, senior coffee and fried pies for snacks. Things have improved with new store remodelings and improved menus. More importantly, the customer service has really taken a positive trend, courteous employees and managers bending over backwards to please customers.

It isn't my decision or suggestion that this person be removed, but she certainly needs serious counseling regarding emotional control, customer service and employee supervision. Instead of viewing my heads up regarding the dirty tables as helpful, this lady launched into a tirade and personal attack unrelenting even while I exited the location, disappointing!

• JKWilliams Jun 05, 2017

It's interesting (if not outright disgusting) how service employees of all types are [censor]ing out the people WHOSE BUSINESS PAYS THEIR STINKING WAGES! I just had a very similar incident at a Wal Mart, just today. Where my checkout total was $104.82 That money from MY WALLET is what pays you, you crazy fools. I can and do take my business elsewhere if some fat head employee gives me grief. You're working there for me! Not the opposite. And interestingly, it is almost always anything but a white male that does this. Eight years of you know who running this country really screwed up more than a few people, I've noticed. Sheesh!