Commercial Investigations Complaints & Reviews

Commercial InvestigationsBiggest Rip Off

CII or Commercial Investigations Inc. had called our company and wanted to know if we had any collections that we would want to turn over to them. They said just give them anything to give them a chance. The man we talked to was named Joe Striker. So we did, we turned over to them a company that owed us over $13, 000. So we decided hey what can it hurt. Let this collection agency take a crack at it. If they do a good job, then maybe we can use them. They had it for a couple of weeks, and called to say that they would need to a lawyer and that they would bring litigation up against this company and get it all collected - offered 18% for collection fees. It was going to cost us upfront $3, 800 to get the ball rolling. That was all our upfront costs were going to be!! We thought great, that sounded about right. They had given us a lot of information on this company that owed us money. So we cut them a check and sent it to them - we cut the check 2/26/09. Well, we didn't hear from them for awhile - 2 maybe 3 weeks. I called them because I was getting suspicious and they sent me over to the lawyer's office - talked to Felicia, the attorney's rep there and she said that the lawyer was still reviewing the files. They would call us back when the lawyer was done reviewing everything. Sounded good. Well, about a week later they called and said that they wanted to do a "Fast Track" litigation because they said that company we had turned over to them had over $100, 000 in their bank account, and they wanted to put a freeze on their account so that we could get our money, all said and down we would get $25, 000. They lawyer was requesting an additional $4, 400 to proceed with this. They were saying it had to be done that day, we had to act fast and immediately. Calling every 30 min…..we finally told them "No, we did not have the money." They said that we wouldn't get as much and it was going to take a lot longer to get our money. We said that was fine, we just wanted what was owed to us and it has been this long, we can wait longer. We decided to contact our lawyer and see if they were a legitimate collection agency and if they had actually brought litigation up against that company…..he e-mailed us back and told us not to give them anymore money, they were in fact a collection agency, but warned us not to give them anymore money. He also said that they had not brought litigation up against that company that we had turned over to them. As of Mar 31st they had not brought any litigation against that company. Then about a week to two weeks later, they called and said that the lawyers were requesting an additional $2, 400 or $2, 800, something like that, to continue with the litigation. I told them they needed to call back and talk to the owner. So they did. She said to them that she wanted to know exactly where all the $3, 800 had gone to - she wanted a breakdown and proof of what they had been doing. She also said that she wanted a receipt for the money that she sent to them. She explained to them that she worked for a lawyer and that the $3, 800 was plenty of money to do what they needed to collect the money. He told her he would have his secretary get that to us right away. Well, they called again last night around 5 pm and said that the lawyer is requesting an additional $4, 200. I told them no, and that the owner wanted to speak to them. The owner spoke to them again. She explained that she has never received a receipt and that she has never received a breakdown where all the money has gone to that she has sent them already. He said that he would have to look into that and call her back. She requested his name, he only gave her his first name. When she requested his last name, he hung up on her. She called back later, and requested to talk to someone. The receptionist said that everyone had left for the day. The owner said "No they didn't, it is only 4 pm your time, and I know for a fact that they are still working." The receptionist said that she didn't know anything that she was just a receptionist and that she would leave a note for that person to call her.

1 Response
    • Ga
      Gatheringinfo Mar 06, 2010

Been impacted????
      You have a lot of company...make a difference, make a complaint on line: the CA Attorney General and FTC Contact the Los Angeles District Attorney's office. Or email mac kearns at gmail dot com

DON'T SIGN ANYTHING THEY SEND YOU

Commercial InvestigationsLike issues with CII

I know this is a bit long but it can provide lots of useful information if you are being hassled by Commercial Investigations or any other Collection agency. Be informed, and know what it takes to protect yourself if you have to go that far.
    Our personal experience with Commercial Investigations of Van Nuys California is much the like all the complaints found on /link removed/ http://www.complaintsboard.com, and http://800notes.com with regards to CII. If you are having issues with this company you may need to take the following actions and file complaints with the proper organizations.
    FILE A COMPLAINT
    https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/ File a complaint with the FTC.
    http://www.la.bbb.org/Home.aspx File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in LA.
    156 complaints as of 5/9/2009
    Then contact your HOME state attorney general's office and file a complaint in their office.
    SEE ALSO from the BBB site:
    BECOME VERSED ON SOME LAWS
    You may also wish to become versed in the Fair Debt Collections Protection Act as well as the Fair Credit Reporting act. Wikipedia has some good links for this.
    Some states might have additional requirements such as the agency must be licensed in the state in order to collect. So check your state web site or find an attorney.
    CONTACT AN ATTORNEY.
    Yellow pages or google would work as well.
    CONSIDER A TAP on your line.
    ONLY AFTER YOU CHECK THE LAW FOR YOUR LOCATION. Again you might want to consult with an attorney. But Radio Shack sells a phone tap for about 70$
    FOR LAUGHS OR to JUST FEEL a bit BETTER:
    GOOGLE CAN BE YOUR FRIEND!
    See what other sites you can find.
    Dealing with Debt Collectors – How to Take Away Their Power
    http://www.fivemilliondots.com/archive/2008/12/09/9.aspx This is a great site. Good information!
    OR:
    Commercial Investigations, Inc.
    David M. Hynes, President
    Gloria Moreno, Ethics Contact
    6311 Van Nuys Blvd. Ste. 441
    Van Nuys, CA 91401
    Phone: [protected]
    Fax: [protected]

A simple google of 6311 Van Nuys Blvd. Ste.
    Results in:
    Van Nuys Copy Centers in Business Services on Citysearch
    6311 Van Nuys Blvd, Van Nuys, CA (Map).
    Printing Facilities in Van Nuys, CA on Yahoo! Local
    The UPS Store-Shipping and Packaging [protected] Van Nuys Blvd, Van Nuys, ...

OK, a UPS STORE?
    Google these terms: ups store locations van nuys
    UPS Store The
    - www.theupsstore.com
    6311 Van Nuys Blvd, Van Nuys, CA - [protected]
    Then for more fun. go to maps.google.com and type in: 6311 Van Nuys Blvd, Van Nuys, Los Angeles, California 91411
    You will get:
    IF you cut and pasted the above link you might have to click on the link under did you mean? Then click on the street view. GUESS WHAT!!! You see a two story building and it is a UPS STORE.
    In my part of the country a suite of 441 would mean that you are on the 4th floor. That is impossible in a two story building.
    Have fun! as much as they investigate you, with google or other search engines you can investigate them!

6 Responses
      • Sh
        shutemdownasap2009 Oct 06, 2009

THIS COMPANY IS A SCAM!! STAY AWAY! They will steal money from you for bogus lawsuits and collect from customers without disclosing to you they collected!! This scam is doing business under many names and there is a licensed CA attorney behind it, Randy Chang license # 237618, dba commercial investigations, dba forensicforwarder, dba forensic case management, dba rumson, bolling & associates, dba joseph, steven & associates. If you have been scammed too file a complaint with the CA state bar and the ftc! at http://ftc.gov! They do not have a valid corporation to even do business in CA, it's been suspended and the wont disclose a physical address. The address on their websites is a ups/ fed-ex mail drop box. They have over 300 complaints combined with the Better Business Bureau and a F rating. This company breaks the law daily, steals money, and tries to imply intimidation tactics to anyone who asks for their money back and threathens to go to the authorities. There are dozens of lawsuits against them throughout the US. Contact the ftc, CA state bar association, the Ventura and Los Angeles County District Attorneys office. Lets shut them down!

• Mo
        Mommamomma Aug 05, 2009

Does anyone have any info or have the power to start a class action suit against these guys?? I wish I could, I got gipped for $2, 000 plus now they have entitlement to my suit I was collecting for. Any help would be awesome. :-(

skvanhausen May 12, 2009

OOPS I should have posted this on the phone number did not notice the typo in the file when I grabbed the data:
        Original Telephone Company Name: [ PACIFIC BELL ]
        Original Telephone Company Type: Regional Bell Operating Company (RBOC)
        Telephone Number Owner's Current provider: [ PACIFIC BELL ]
        Telephone Number Owner's Caller*ID Lookup: [ FORENSIC CASE M ]
        Telephone Number Owner's Caller*ID Source: SS7 Master Database
        Telephone Number Owner's Caller*ID Status: Updated May 12, 2009 5:44:14PM CDT
        Telephone Number Owner's Estimated  City: Van Nuys
        Telephone Number Owner's Estimated  Region: California
        Telephone Number Owner's Estimated  Postal Code: [protected]
        Telephone Company Equipment Location Code: VAN NUYS
        Additional information on [protected], including the full name and address

Again all this information is freely available on the net.

skvanhausen May 12, 2009

On another note look what I found out on their fax#
        [protected]
        Original Telephone Company Name: [ ROYAL STREET COMMUNICATIONS, LLC ]
        Original Telephone Company Type: Personal Communications Service (PCS)
        Telephone Number Owner's Current provider: [ ROYAL STREET COMMUNICATIONS, LLC ]
        Telephone Number Owner's Caller*ID Lookup: [ MORALES JONATHA ]
        Telephone Number Owner's Caller*ID Source: SS7 Master Database
        Telephone Number Owner's Caller*ID Status: Updated May 12, 2009 10:37:19AM CDT
        Telephone Number Owner's Estimated  Region: California
        Telephone Company Equipment Code: ANHNCA03CM0
        Telephone Company Equipment Location Code: SNFN PACM
        Telephone Company Equipment Installation Date: 03/21/2007

All freely available public information sources.

skvanhausen May 11, 2009

soopeela,
        you do not know me nor do I know you. I do not have to defend myself to you but I will openly say here on this forum when I last checked my credit score back in 07 it was in the neighborhood of 750-810, not bad hugh?

Just because somebody has a collection agency that is after them does it mean they are a dead beat. After all, not all collection agencies are bad. I have a friend that owns a collection agency and this friend actually gave me insight on how to deal with a collection agency. I searched the BBB on my friends agency and it has a satisfactory BBB rating, and I could not find any negative comments on my friends agency on the net.

If I try and find your personal information it comes up blank. So I tell you what. How about you give all of us on this forum all your information. For the most part you sound like a lovely person and I would love to take you out to eat at a nice establishment. My Treat!

Now, something tells me from your response that you are in fact one of the names I have listed in my complaint or in the very least you work for CII, or some other collection agency. Sorry your comments speak volumes about your stance.

• So
        soopeela May 10, 2009

Now post your personal information as well.

I mean its you people who won't pay your bills that are destroying this country and deserve to be exposed to the American Public so we can take action.

Commercial InvestigationsFraud and scam

Mysery loves company! However if there is enough of us that Commercial Investigations have stung, then let's band together and get them. Mariah of Commercial Investigations would tell me one thing and then another. This caused my suspicion in the beginning. Telling me that one of my past due clients was bragging on himself for getting over on me. I thought that seemed a bit of a stretch. I think they do this to get an emotional call to action out of us. They were successful in getting 3 of my past due receipts paid which I found out later they also attached a fee to. They are not only collection the 25%, but also a fee they charge to the debtor. I also paid them $750.00 to start litigation on three other cases. They string this litigation deal out like a nice carrot. That's when I was more convinced this might be a scam. Any Lawyer working for $750.00 for any case is not believable, but since they had collected quite a bit I felt I was ahead of the game. Again 2nd con here. They have (Maryanne) repeatedly come up with one excuse after another why they have not paid the money to us. Our clients have paid them plus a fee.They have collected or scammed our past due clients for $10, 000 plus. They also took the money from us to produce what they said would be litigation to chase other accounts.

I have also two former past due clients that will testify against them about the harassment and also paying the extra fee. I will be contacting Greg Askay of the Ventura County DA and also the FBI since Commercial Investigations appears to be working outside from state to state. FBI will be very interested in this case.

The worst part about this is, that I did not want to chase down all my clients. We are in difficult times. However having Commercial Investigations calling us repeatedly helped the situation along. They made up lies about rudeness about our clients behavior to them. I was lucky enough to engage some of my clients with their story about them. I was so surprised to find out that they were hit with other fees.

If anyone else has similar stories we can not only file criminal charges of fraud against the company, which will bring about jail time for employees as well as the owners who actively engage in the criminal behavior. That includes you Mariah! and also you Maryanne! The criminal complaint will also list you both since I did deal with you.

Anyone else who has names of employees from Commercial Investigations save them!

7 Responses
        • To
          Tony941 Feb 04, 2011

STILL GOING ON ... They shorted me 15% of what they collected for me. Says their quoted rate (18%) is only valid on the date offered, otherwise their rate is 33%. Conveniently, they "didn't receive" our contract and had us re-fax our contract agreement (the next day) and continue to state that we failed to accept the contract on the original date. I'm still trying to get them on fraud, any one still pursuing them?

• Br
          brianocpoolspa Sep 22, 2009

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!! They are crooks, they will overcharge you, bounce checks to you and ask for money to sue someone and 1 year later I havent seen paper 1 and they have my $850.00 I am suing them. Brian, ocpoolspa.com

• Mo
          Mommamomma Aug 05, 2009

I lost thousands!!! Can we pluhleeeeez, start a class suit against them, isn't their enough of us to smash those ugly leeches??? Anyone know how to do that stuff?? I did some searching, they've done this for years and are still in business??!!

Matt Belyus Jun 22, 2009

CII is by far the worst collection people to work with. I gave them a check to collect on about two years ago for 950. It wasn't a large amount, but would help cover payroll. I let it go and didn't hear back from a long time. They said the money was on the way and that was last September. At that time I had someone else that owed me about 2, 100 and so I gave them that account. I waited a week for the check from the first person. I called and asked where the check was. Mary Ann told me that the person had written them a bad check and they were waiting on a money order (I know I should stopped it all there, but I was too trusting). I got started on the second person then. My account was given to Matt and hea said that after the initial call that it would take 60-90 days and go through the courts (this was the first of October). They had pulled up his checking account and had money to pay (I've seen this similar story on other posts about CII), but needed 650 to start the legal work. I sent them the 650 and waited for the work to start. I called several times in December to see how it was going and received no return calls. I had the legal dept call me in January for some legal docs to start working on the case. I went balistic at first and said that I was told I would have my money by end of December. They apologized and I filled out the paperwork and faxed it back. I waited until the end fo February to call CII to check the status. I left 4 messages between February and March with no returned calls. I received a call the first of May from Jeff Striker asking for another $750. I told him there was no more money and that I was too pissed to talk with him at that time. I

If you go to the BBB you'll find that there are thousands of complaints against them. They are a sorry company. Don't give them ANY money. I was lucky and only lost 650. i"ve seen stories of others losing thousands to them.

skvanhausen May 13, 2009

Best thing to do is become aware of FDCPA, and FCRA.
          It is my personal experience that they seem to enjoy violating it.

Things to do.
          File a BBB Complaint
          File a complaint with the FTC
          Contact your local state attorney General's office and file a complaint there.
          I have a post here that is search able using the terms: Like issues with CII

As for the UPS store for the address for CII that is true google ups store locations or go to maps.google.com and type in the address and click on street view.

jacymf Feb 27, 2009

Well I was on the receiving end of this phone call. I have had several voicemails on my phone from this company. They say to call back regarding a serious legal matter. The number on the called ID is all zeros. So today I actually was around to answer this call. This gentleman said he was Jeff Striker with commercial investigations. He was actually looking for my father, why he had my cell number I have no idea. I drilled him about why he was calling, where he was located, what it was regarding, why all zeros showed up on caller ID etc...his answer for everything was "thats irrelevant". He stuttered everytime I asked a question. I told him I knew he was not legitimate-he then hung up. He kept hounding me to give him by father's phone number, the thing is, he has already called my father several times, seriously harrassing him. Calling names, threatening, etc. My dad asked him to send an itemized invoice on what he was trying to collect on-he said he "didn't play those game", so we have sinced blocked the number. They say they are backed by CIAA, which does not exist. I feel very bad for the people on the receiving end of these phone calls-I gave this guy a piece of my mind and he hung up. I have also read reports that the address they say they are at is actually a UPS office. Too bad people have to stoop to these lows for jobs!

• Wi
          winsam Jan 20, 2009

Marcus:

Something isn't right about this company. We had a renter who owes us about $2500.00 in a judgment. CII contacted us and told us about their company and how they could help us. They had us add other charges to the debt such as attorney fees, dumping charging (for cleaning out the house), heat/water, etc. CII sent us an email with a contract to type our names into and send it back to them. Within 2 days, CII called me and said that they found the renter and he had plenty of money in his account. In further, CII told me that I would have to send them $1800.00 so the attorney could start the litigation process. That sent up a big red flag for me since I already had a judgment and did not need any more attorneys in the case. They further told me that the renter was rude and made comments to them about how my husband wanted to "kick his ### and had been threatening him." I knew this to be untrue as my husband is not a violent man and we do not have the renter's telephone number to call and harass him. In addition, we know for a fact that this individual has NO MONEY in the bank but CII claims he does. After doing some research on the internet about CII - I told them that I did not want to pursue any collections with the company since I knew CII was nothing but scam and a rip-off. The man from CII told me that I had to pay them 10% of the money owed to us before they would consider the matter closed. In the meantime, if they are harassing the renter, there is nothing I can do about it. I have kept all my paperwork and I contacted the Michigan Attorney General's Office with a complaint. Keep in touch and let me know how you made out with CII. I want nothing to do with them...