Castaway Pools and Spas Complaints & Reviews

Castaway Pools and SpasDon't finish their job

I paid them in full all money and they did not complete the job of installing my pool. They have never came back to finish what they've started despite numerous phone calls and letters sent to their office. They refuse to answer any phone calls. I wish I didn't pay them when I signed the contract.

If you decide to go with this company, insist on paying after they finish their job or better yet stay away from Castaway Pools and Spas.

Castaway Pools and Spaspoor service

I had no idea that our nightmare was shared by so many! Our pool was installed last year. It was promised it would be done within weeks, it took over six months. John was impossible to get ahold of and avoided our phone calls at all cost. His father answered the phone at the store and was, to say the least, a mean old man. I can't even begin to say all of the things that went wrong, weren't done, or the multitude of problems we encountered. (I would be typing for a long time!) But it was a horrible experience. In the beginning of summer we discovered a leak and again, John made promises and then never materialized, or answered the phone again. It was the absolute worst experience we have ever had. I still don't know what we're going to do about the leak. I hope they are never again allowed to operate a business.

• Be
    Ben T. Over Sep 11, 2007

I had filed a complaint with the Attorney Generals office 6-8 weeks ago and finally they contacted me last Friday. He was going to try to work with Castaway in order to help expedite the non completed work. (About $13,000.00 worth). I told the A.G that there were many more like me involved with Castaway and he said he was not allowed to "reach out". However, he did say everyone should contact the NJ A.G. and file a complaint. I have been trying for two days to reach Dave and have not had any luck. I keep getting their voice mail. I wonder how long they will remain in business? I just want my money or work completed. I hope they will not be cowards and just close and not complete anyone work.

• Pi
    Pissed in PA Sep 12, 2007

How did you file the complaint with the AG? I went to the NJ Attorney General website & there was so many forms related to homes, I wanted to make sure I filed the same report with them as you did.

• Br
    Brian Rudy Sep 21, 2007

I was recently contacted by the N.J. Attorney General too. They got my name from the B.B.B. complaint I submitted. They told me they would wait until my court date before they took action. We'll see.

• Gr
    GregW Nov 02, 2007

All - I also got screwed by Castaway and their concrete subcontractor. Please email me, I want to organize us. Get every one's name and numbers. See if you filed a complaint and/or lawsuit. I signed a contract with Castaway back on Aug. '06. I filed complaints - the AG office is not producing any results. Filed a suit on my own in in Sept. '07. But, I think if we get organized, we may be able to accomplish something.

• Be
    Ben Tover Nov 05, 2007

Hey Greg-

Count me in! I think you have my info. If you need anything else please let me know.

Ben.

Mark keyworth Aug 24, 2008

I to was a dumy. i was on a survey, took the trial offer and got scamed. there were no phone numbers on the offer but i thought there would be with the trial shippment.NOT, only a web sight. when i went to bring it up, all that would come up was a picture of the bottle of colonsmartcleasner, when i clicked on the bottle it would take me to another sight. i tried several times the same thing kept happening. So there i found a phone number so i called it. they kept saying they had nothing to do with colonsmartcleasner.needless to say i was very angry.then i thought well when it comes in i would just put on it return to sender and wait for a refund. well it never happend... my bank said they couldnt do anything for thirty days from the day i sent it back. so i waited filled the dispute and waited four days for the results.. well then i get the results from my bank... NOT HAPPY my bank sends me some copys off the internet from colonsmart stating there is only one way you can receive a refund.you have to follow four steps. one of thoughs steps are they do not except Return to sender packages as a way for refund. what they dont say is that package i sent back is theirs now and you get nothing for $88.98.now it said nothing about ANY policys when i ordered the free samples.and when i got the free samples it had nothing of any policys either. so im out the money and the FAKE product(COLONSMARTCLEASNER). OH DID I MENTION YHE PRODUCT DID NOTHING... I TOOK THE SUPPOSEDLY FREE SAMPLES AND HAD NO REACTION !!! if there is anyone out there that can help me get my money back.i would be very happy... [email protected] TO EVERYONE------ STAY AWAY FROM COLONSMARTCLEASNER !!! THERE A RIPOFF !!!

1 minutes ago by Mark Keyworth [send email]
    i forgot to mention the paperwork my bank got off the internet was dated july 10th 2008 REVISED. this was 2 mth. after i sent mine back. when i got my (FREE) sample.i couldnt get on their web site to cancel nor did they have a phone number... COLONSMARTCLEASNER IS A RIPOFF...

Castaway Pools and SpasNever finished Pool

NEVER FINISHED MY POOL------ BUT TOOK THE MONEY AND RAN!!!

BEWARE HE OPERATES UNDER DIFFERENT NAMES!!!

John from Castaway Pools and Spas signed a contract to replace our pool and return the property in the same condition it was in prior to replacement on September 22, 2006. He said it would take TEN DAYS. During removal of the old pool they damaged my trees, broke my gas & sewer lines, ripped up my sprinkler lines, destroyed my yard and broke my driveway in 3 places. I will have to say they did install the new pool- That was it!!! They never returned to finish the work!!! Repeated promises of completing the contracted work and repairing the damages to my property were nothing but pure LIES...

In the Spring 2007 We finally paid to have the pool finished, plumbing repaired, and yard repaired in at the cost of over $10, 000. This was addtional money over what we had paid him to do the same work-

He lies with a smile on his face and makes you think he is a "nice guy" to get your trust, then he takes your money and RUNS to the next waiting victim.

My pool replacement was covered by my insurance and maybe they will let their lawyers put this 2 faced crooked tooth freak behind bars. He just ignores letters I've sent and consumer affairs says he is not even registered in NJ and they are working on it!!! If the rest of these Victims on complaintsboard.com are correct then he has a criminal record of doing the same thing under different company names for YEARS...

What needs to happen is we should all get together, take him outback and teach him some respect for other people.

MY email is : [protected]@comcast.net if anybody has ideas on how to deal with this ###.

Anonymous Person Mar 31, 2008

Contact Greg from the other, gigantic castaway thread.

You are certainly not the only one he has screwed. I think we have enough people to rent our own section at Citizen's Bank Park for the reunion.

Castaway Pools and Spaslost deposit

On July 18, 2007 I gave John Dalrymple a deposit for a Viking pool. I heard from a friend about this complaint board and when I called Castaway to ask questions I spoke to Dave Sutton who said he was the new manager. I than called Viking pools directly and they said they were no longer dealing with Castaway. Dave said he would return my deposit because he couldn't provide the pool I contracted for. That's the last I heard from him.

• Ri
    Ritu Sep 15, 2008

We had the same issue. we gave the deposit to have a pool build...Lost the deposit...Never heard back from them...Still struggling...:P

• Da
    Daniel Morrison Dec 04, 2008

Anyone with information on John sr. or John Jr.please give me a call at (609)685-8353, I need an address or a new phone number for them or my pool, or maybe just my deposit back, i don`t think i can trust them to put the pool in.John if you see this the permits are ready!Thanks Dan

Castaway Pools and SpasI had a leak too!

I had a leak to in my shallow end returns. Fortunately Franco and his team came out and fixed the leak and did some grading I guess to prepare for the concrete. I almost had a heart attack when Castaway showed up in front of my house. Looks like Dave is helping to get things done. Lets keep our fingers crossed. I've only been waiting since May.

Castaway Pools and SpasPool installation still not complete!

I have the same situation as every one else. My pool supposed to be completed in May 07. To this day it still is not finished. Still need concrete, light kit, railing and ladder, plumbing, solar cover & safety cover. I call almost daily to John Jr, Denny, Midge and they never answer their phones or call me back. The only people who answer are the receptionist and they don't have any answers. They have almost all my money and it sounds like I'll never have the work finished. I was told there is a new guy in charge-Dave? I hope he doesn't stick it to me like the others. He at least speaks to me and tries to help. We'll see. I do think a class action law suit is the way to go. Are any of you lawyers? I have filed complaints with the BBB, Consumer protection agency and Attorney General office. I have not heard back from any of them. I have asked Castaway via VM, phone, fax and email for enough money to have another company finish the work.

Beware people!

• Pi
    Pissed in PA Sep 10, 2007

I COMPLETELY AGREE THAT A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT IS THE WAY TO GO!!!! It seems that there is WAY MORE than enough of us to bond together & get what we paid for & are ENTITLED to from Castaway Pools.

I just saw Nydia Han's consumer report on Channel 6 ABC Philly news from 9.6.2007 about Cataway Pools. (you can view this report on thier website: http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=consumer&id=5643141).

FINALLY! Castaway Pools has been exposed to the public for the scam artists that they are. It was chilling to see John's Mug-shots from his 'multiple' convictions on TV. It made it all too sureal that I have just truly been scammed out of a lot of money. Like everyone else, we still have a pile of dirt to be removed, the blower for the spa is still not installed, we have missmatched white plastic railings because they were supposed to order the stainless steel ones that I contracted for & to make matters worse our stamped concrete is now cracking everywhere!!!!!! And this is only part of the laundry list of things we are waiting for resolution on.

I am open to any & all suggestions. It's just NOT RIGHT for Castaway Pools to get away with scamming so many people like this.

Joan Mozeika Oct 26, 2007

We are going through the same thing. The contract was signed in April, permits received in May and the work, which is still incomplete, was started in August. Denny is no longer in NJ. I spoke to John, who was willing to assist, and it it now almost two weeks and we cannot get him on the phone.