Pete’s Tire BarnGift certificate fraud

M

Back on November 22, 2010 I bought a gift certificate from Pete’s Tire Barns, Inc. for my daughter in Rutland as she needed a new tire for her car.

A couple days ago I found that same gift certificate in her car. I asked her why she has not used it and she told me that each time she has needed a tire she has called them and was told they would have to special order it. So I guess the concessions was that she is to sit by the side of the road until Pete’s Tire gets her a tire. No…. that is not the way it works. She has always had to go someplace else to get the tire she needs.

When I saw she still had the certificate after almost 2 years, I asked her to give it back to me so I could turn it in and give her the cash. Obviously she is not going to use the thing.

I called them on Monday. I was told that they only sold one gift card the entire time that he has been there. (No wonder!!) I explained the situation and tried to work with the guy on this. He told me the gift certificate had no cash value and if she couldn’t use it I should. I explained this is a gift for my daughter and I have my own mechanic here in Woodstock. He was very nasty and when I asked for him to cash it in I was told it has no cash value. I don’t know what to do with the dumb thing. Is there any way you can help us with this?

Also I hope others can take note of this and not fall into this trap. I think it should be documented just what kind of business this is. No one should have to be treated that way.
Gift Certificate number is 18-001/10. Store Managers Initials MJN signed by Chris T Prararial? Not sure about signature. $40.00 value.

MauiAL50 Jun 27, 2012

"She has always had to go someplace else to get the tire she needs." How many tires has she needed in the almost 2 years? Perhaps you should have inquired about the availability of the tire your daughter needed prior to purchasing the certificate. Most gift certificates have no cash value and are non-refundable, and it is not as if the company refused to let your daughter use the certificate, they just did not have the tire she needed/wanted in stock.