Oreck Upright Vacuum21 yr. warranty

We paid $700 for an Oreck Upright Vacuum with a 21 yr. warranty. The warranty is only good if you have it serviced by them once a year. At the time we purchased the vacuum, it was from a dealer fairly close to our home. Now there are only two dealers here, in a city of almost 3 million people, and they are both almost an hour away from our home. In the past, they would do the maintenance work (which only took about 15 minutes max.) while we waited. Now, they both want you to leave it for up to a week's time. Are they so busy and selling so many $700 vacuums now that they can't work on it while you wait and you have to make the time yourself to take it over there and pick it up, and do without for that time?
All they seem to do is look at the belt, change the bag, and say something needs to be replaced that is NOT under warranty. It's a very simple vacuum and my husband would work on it himself, but that would void the wonderful warranty that is packed into the price.
I would not purchase another one of these and not recommend the service.

• Mi
    Midway Vac Nov 03, 2016

Oh boy, Wreck! The dealer was NOT lying! They were playing by the rules as outlined by Oreck. Oreck is the wimp in the bunch! All they did was bow down to the customer (you) and screw over the dealer. Happens all the time; they demand more credit information from a prospective dealer than required to buy a house, make them sign a release for themselves, and any future heirs. Then, they cannot even stand behind their dealer when he sticks to their archaically strict regulations! What brown nosers.
    You didn't accomplish anything more than any other whiner got from a cowardly wimp. The dealer acted honorably, Oreck did NOT.
    And yes, as a former dealer I do know that from whence I speak.

• Wr
    Wreck Nov 23, 2015

I just had same issue with my XL-21 that I paid over $700 in 2002. They tried to charge me for a bunch of parts and they said my Warrenty is not good anymore because I miss two years of annual maintenance..
    I Immeaditely called Oreck Customer service and they said the dealer is WRONG!! You do not need to take in every year for service.. This vacuum has a 21 year warranty except for brush roller and a few other things.. The customer Rep called the local dealer and everything was taken care of immediately.
    I love the Oreck Vacuum. I just got a sleazy feeling they were trying to gouge me. They messed with the wrong person and I called them on it..

• Bo
    BottomsUp1 Apr 06, 2011

Two dealers in a city of more than 3 million people, and you're asking if they're too busy to work on your machine at YOUR convenience? Wow. Do a little research and open your eyes. Oreck makes more than just one vacuum with annual maintenance plans, and they sold them to more households than just yours. I live in a city of about 200K and my local Oreck dealer consistently has a minimum of 20 machines ahead of mine when I bring it in. You do have other options ... maybe call ahead and let them know how far you're coming from to receive the tune up. OR you do have the option of shipping the machine to Oreck Corporate for its annual tune up.
    No matter what you choose to do, AT LEAST realize that your complaint is solely about inconvenience by location of a service center - NOT about the machine itself or its performance. I challenge you to make a comparison ... what other vacuum can you take to a service center and have warranty work done in a week or less? The answer is NONE. What other vacuum company provides all of the maintenance and upkeep on the machine for 1- 21 years [dependent on model]? NONE.
    Your problem is not your vacuum ... your problem is your ungrateful attitude and belief that the world owes you a favor. Get over yourself and look at the positives in what you have.