OnRead.comDuplicate billing

C

I recently registered at OnRead.com. In filling out the billing form I overlooked the recurrent payment terms. The terms are for $1.99 for 24 hours then $29.99/month. This was not clearly stated on the sign up page. You have to click on another area to see the $29.99/month. Needless to say, a few days later I received charges to my account for $1.99 and the $29.99/month fee. But, in addition there was a duplicate charge for $29.99. I contacted OnRead by email, as this is the only way of reaching anyone. I received a response saying that the terms were on the sign up page. There was no reply regarding the duplicate billing issue. So, now I am out $29.99. In the future, I will be very cautious with anything I do online. I realize I should have not overlook the terms, but it is not clearly spelled out. My primary issue is is there no way to get my money back?

• Th
    the_knapper Dec 10, 2011

I almost signed up with this service, having found what I can only imagine were planted reviews on the web talking about 'free' books. Or, nearly free, at 99 cents each.
    The recurring payment is a bit hidden if you are not careful, and this is the only way to read the books. After reading a few more reviews of the site, I've found it to be quite shady in it's practices. I'd steer clear. The prices for e-books are very high, even unfair - the reality is it costs virtually nothing to re-create an e-book. No printing, distribution or storage or handling, however they still want nearly what you pay new. To be honest, I'll keep buying them at flea markets for $1.00. Let someone else pay $25 for a new hardback - they will have it for sale in less than a month, and it will be in my library. I guess I'll just have to scan them for my personal e-reader.