michelon tiresdry rot inside tread

M

Purchased a Honda Ridgeline in March, 2008. Michelin tires produced in the 32 week of 2007 were on the truck. The truck was purchased new from the showroom floor, now we have found dry rot in the tread on all of the tires. This truck has never set more than 24 hrs at one time. It has 63, 000 miles on the truck and tires. Michelin wants us to send all 4 tires back to be inspected, while 4 new Michelin tires are placed on truck. They will hold our credit card number, and if it is determined that Michelin is not at fault, we will have to purchase the tires they placed on the truck. Why would I want to purchase 4 more tires with the probability of having the same problems? I feel the dealership's word should be good enough for Michelin, since the dealership is an authorized service and dealer with Michelin.

• Ec
    ecomike Sep 03, 2012

If I had gotten 63, 000 miles and 4 years out of the tires, I would be happy. I am getting as little as 12 months and 12, 000 miles before I see dangerous looking dry rot in the tread area of 3 brands, Michelin, Uniroyal and Goodyear, on 4-5 different style tires all bought at Walmart since 2006, used on 4 jeeps, 1 Saturn and 1 Ford. I think the problem is getting worse too! I use to get up to 10 years out of tires before I ever saw any signs of dry rot on my tires. Not a location issue either, as I have lived here, same place, since I bought my first tires 39 years ago! Is this cheap Chinese tires, cheap Chinese rubber, or a formula change, or what?