Lumber LiquidatorsHardwood floor and installation

I Oct 08, 2020

I would like to file an official complaint with your office due to Lumber Liquidator's faulty installation of my flooring, costing me 11,527.83 plus almost a year of agony going back and forth, first with their sales office, then with the installation team and finally with their so-called "Customer Care" office.

Our ordeal began in October of last year, where - after many delays and broken promises - a team from Lumber Liquidators came and installed hardwood in our home. I wanted to make sure, if problems arise later on, that we will not be given the "run-around" between the material company and the installation company, so I bought both material and installation from Lumber Liquidators.

After less than 6 months of installation, the whole floor completely cupped and is now permanently damaged! After logging a warranty complaint with the company's "Customer Care" they tried hard to blame us that our house had excess humidity, which I completely refuted. There was no flood, no leak, nothing that could cause this so-called excess humidity.

I then contracted an official certified inspector (they provide expert witness in court cases) and paid out of pocket $400 for an inspector to come and inspect the wood. The inspector came and spent close to 4 hours performing detailed inspection (including invasive test). The official inspection report clearly states there is no problem with the site (our home), contrary to what LL tried to claim in the beginning, and the official report assigned the blame to an installation failure!

After I informed the LL rep that I refuse their conclusion and that I am hiring my own independent inspector, they came back (though the inspection has already been carried out) and said that their installation company (Valiz) admitted they had an installation failure by not installing a "Vapor barrier" that would have prevented the humidity and resultant cupping! They started the process of "Re-installation" at their expense with no cost to us. Evidently, we were happy about the outcome and requested a re-imbursement of the independent inspector's fees, an extension to the warranty, plus a modest compensation of 15% for our agony through this process.

That is when Lumber Liquidators just disappeared.. completely! The rep would not return our calls or emails to pursue the repairs. After repeated attempts, I find myself completely turned off by this complete disregard of the customer, us, even after they admitted to the fault!

And - by the way - I have in writing, Lumber Liquidator's admitting to error in installation, agreeing to replace the floor with no cost to us. I also have customer care rep's recorded voice message to me on my cell phone admitting of this failure, that I can present as evidence, if need!

Thereby, I am now no longer accepting any repair done by Lumber Liquidators, I just do not trust they will do a professional, error-free and on-time installation, and insist on a full refund of my original purchase - which is now effectively destroyed by their faulty installation - of $11, 127.83, plus my out of pocket inspector's fees of $400, plus a fair compensation of our agony for a whole year (since we started this process in October 2019) of $5, 000, which totals to $16, 527.83.

- Customer No. 0005396974